What's new

The Unc-tanical Gardens

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
still getting cactus blossoming here,even with the colder temps and the cactus getting next to no water,many of the mammilaria are putting out fresh blooms...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think i have like 3-4 species with that quality,but no way i would hack up a perfectly good cactus for something thats gonna make me barf....one peyote trip was enough thanks...

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Shrooms and doses were enough for me - but I probably would have done it if it had come around. Used to love that ride - now the tilt-a-whirl is too much :)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
support your local nursery!

got a nice christmas prezzie from my plant people today..
including a couple of white sands claret cup cactus a couple of yuccas two prickly pear species and a few smaller cactus and that nice big lobivia

picture.php
[/FONT]

L

Luther Burbank

Nice to see the collection still growing unc! Think I'm more envious of your cacti than your cannabis cuts.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
while much of the US is still experiencing winter,its spring here already after a very very mild winter...i seriously doubt my furnace came on once all winter....

given that we are having temps in the 70's now everything has started to wake up....nights are still chilly,often in the 30's,but rarely below freezing for any length of time...
over-wintering loss seems minimal,everything i expected to die back to the ground did,still waiting for the less cold tolerant species to start regrowth before pruning but most everything has been hacked back or at least had the dead growth from last year removed...
so far it looks like all the cactus made it through the winter as well...only one looking dodgy,and it may just be shriveled from lack of watering over the winter...had plenty of blossoms on the cactus during the winter...no pics,its impossible to get more than a foot into the greenhouse its so packed....going to be a lot of new things blooming here,looking forward to some of them blooming again....

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
already planting here,good time to get stuff to root out before the summer heat arrives,put in a nice afghan pine,thinking about another....not a native tree but they grow quickly and make excellent wind breaks...also another half dozen cactus....you would be hard pressed to find a more diverse in ground cactus collection in this town...i really have only the faintest idea whats out there!

i do know ive got lots of claret cup cactus that should be mature enough to bloom,looking forward to seeing that! some of the cactus have such beautiful fragile blossoms,or truly beguiling scents...some are so ephemeral,existing only for brief windows of time,others have a sturdy persistence to them...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats just how the desert is...from far away it looks like sun scorched hell,but when you get up close even something like a cactus can become a mini work of art....or you find things growing in the tiniest niches clinging to a cliff side...there were loads of butterflies out this afternoon already,still need some more warmth to get the hummingbirds to start coming back,this year should be much more active since theres more shade in the yard and all the plants are that much bigger...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it looks like the entire in ground cactus collection survived the winter,such as it was,just fine.even the ones on the edge of cold tolerance for the area seem to have come through just fine...thinking of risking a saguaro if i can get enough large rocks to build a good heat sink around it....may pull some of the opuntias (prickly pears) since they can run rampant and i sort of have a bunch of them...

only two new potted specimens so far this season,lots of the greenhouse collection is coming into bloom already...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is one of the new potted cactus,been looking for one of these since last year...
a mammilaria plumosa or maybe a pectifina but im pretty suree this is a plumosa....

picture.php
[/FONT]

crazy how intricate the spines are,this is to reflect sunlight away from the body of the cactus and all those little spines gather dew in the mornings and allow that moisture to drip down onto the roots...
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some of the outdoor collection...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not even march yet and the cactus flower parade is already starting....i will try and catch this one when the blossom opens,i have no idea when that will be since this is my first year with this species....ummm,i think its a thelocactus mcdowellii,one of the rarer protected local species,this one was seed grown by a local nursery...

picture.php
[/FONT]

ice plants....

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

poked my head in the cactus house and noted this lobivia snuck a blo[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]om out since i last checked 2 days ago...