What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE ULTIMATE PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL HASH PRESS FOR UNDER 20 BUCKS !!

J

JackTheGrower

Great thread..

I picked up a "Polm maker" unit when I was at the pollinator for the Cup.. Can't wait to press some pucks!
It will be some work but I read it is worth the effort to do it right.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Pretty much any type will work as long as the THC content of your material is high. I like an electric coffee grinder, but most folks just use a cheap manual pocket grinder. Of course, if your using pure dry sifted glands or other hash, then no grinder at all is needed.

Something to mention,

Pressure causes heat in in itself so be careful pouring on the heat! Can't wait to try this Pipedream, awesome thread!

Thanks,

-the Corsican.

minkus77

Hey everybody, first post here. Glad I found this board, very,very glad.

So I saw this thread grabbed the makins (had to order online, I'm up in Caniba) and have been playing around. I have some questions and observations I'd like to share.

My first press was quick n dirty, medium ground, medium grade bud, medium heat= very medium, hard, harsh smokables. Whodathunit!

My second press I used good bud. Ground it up ultra, ultra fine. I used a hair dryer on it, slowly applying even layers of heat, tightening, reheating, etc. My puck was dark (black almost) green on the outside and a medium green on the inside. This puck was more malleable, crumbled nicely and smoked nicely. The extra effort was definitely time consuming but worthwhile.

My third and most recent press came after spending much more time reading these forums. I went out to the art supply store and picked up a silk screen, 110m. I froze a bag of fine quality shake over night, spread it over the screen and hand sifted it gently. It took time to get to my current base weight (1.2g) but when I was done I had a beautiful, near invisible starting point on a sheet of paper below the screen. Filled the Makins, followed the rotation: tighten, heat, tighten, heat. Once I couldn't get any tighter I just kept heating it, allowing it to cool and repeating. What I was left with was a beautiful khaki green puck that is pale on the inside and crumbles fairly easily. It smokes great, especially in contrast to the first 2 but it's still not perfect. Takes a lot of time, a lot of material.

Can I just heat the entire thing in the oven at a low temp? The extruder has a rubber bit in the plunger I'm concerned may melt. Another concern is the heating on the cheap metal "poisoning" the smokables (a la BHA seaping out of plastic water bottles and tin cans). Right now I'm just using my gf's blow dryer. I heat up the mofo till it's almost too hot to touch then I let it cool down before reapplying the heat. Any suggestions on the heat?

Whoa that was long and no pictures... I was planning on taking some tomorrow to share. :fsu:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Hey everybody, first post here. Glad I found this board, very,very glad.

So I saw this thread grabbed the makins (had to order online, I'm up in Caniba) and have been playing around. I have some questions and observations I'd like to share.

My first press was quick n dirty, medium ground, medium grade bud, medium heat= very medium, hard, harsh smokables. Whodathunit!

My second press I used good bud. Ground it up ultra, ultra fine. I used a hair dryer on it, slowly applying even layers of heat, tightening, reheating, etc. My puck was dark (black almost) green on the outside and a medium green on the inside. This puck was more malleable, crumbled nicely and smoked nicely. The extra effort was definitely time consuming but worthwhile.

My third and most recent press came after spending much more time reading these forums. I went out to the art supply store and picked up a silk screen, 110m. I froze a bag of fine quality shake over night, spread it over the screen and hand sifted it gently. It took time to get to my current base weight (1.2g) but when I was done I had a beautiful, near invisible starting point on a sheet of paper below the screen. Filled the Makins, followed the rotation: tighten, heat, tighten, heat. Once I couldn't get any tighter I just kept heating it, allowing it to cool and repeating. What I was left with was a beautiful khaki green puck that is pale on the inside and crumbles fairly easily. It smokes great, especially in contrast to the first 2 but it's still not perfect. Takes a lot of time, a lot of material.

Can I just heat the entire thing in the oven at a low temp? The extruder has a rubber bit in the plunger I'm concerned may melt. Another concern is the heating on the cheap metal "poisoning" the smokables (a la BHA seaping out of plastic water bottles and tin cans). Right now I'm just using my gf's blow dryer. I heat up the mofo till it's almost too hot to touch then I let it cool down before reapplying the heat. Any suggestions on the heat?

Whoa that was long and no pictures... I was planning on taking some tomorrow to share. :fsu:

You shouldn't have to heat it that much and you certainly don't want to heat it much. Too much heat (above 375 degrees F I think) will degrade the THC and/or cause it to vaporize. The heat is just needed to soften it up a bit to allow you to tighten it more, 200 degrees F should be plenty sufficient to soften it up. So yeah I think you could heat it on low in the oven and I don't think the low setting is enough to melt rubber or cause some sort of chemical reaction from it.

minkus77

Thanks HempKat. Each round of heating with the blow dryer would be about 30-45 seconds, just until the tube gets hot to touch so I don't think it's getting too hot but it is time consuming this way.

So in the oven at 200ºF for how long? Does it matter?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks HempKat. Each round of heating with the blow dryer would be about 30-45 seconds, just until the tube gets hot to touch so I don't think it's getting too hot but it is time consuming this way.

So in the oven at 200ºF for how long? Does it matter?

To be honest I'm not sure as I've never done it that way. I would think not too long, like 10 minutes maybe?

Longhair

Pretty much any type will work as long as the THC content of your material is high. I like an electric coffee grinder, but most folks just use a cheap manual pocket grinder. Of course, if your using pure dry sifted glands or other hash, then no grinder at all is needed.

Hello,
When You Say,"manual pocket grinder" Is This It In The Pic?

I've Got 1 Setup Like In The Pic. Then I've Got 4 Of The Grinders & 1 Other Press. The Grinders I Use Often, Never Used The Press Thingy. Don't Know How To Use It. With This Style Of Grinder How Do They Get It Fine Enough?

Thank You
Longhair

Attachments

• Press 2.bmp
    923.5 KB · Views: 55

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
First off, if grinding buds, they must be "premo" really totally covered in glands.

Hold the grinder upside down so the material gets reground many times without falling thru the holes into the lower section. Or.....get a grinder that only has one section with no lower container or holes.

If you want to try the "coffee grinder" method, I see them all the time in garage sales for just a dollar or two.

Longhair

First off, if grinding buds, they must be "premo" really totally covered in glands.

Hold the grinder upside down so the material gets reground many times without falling thru the holes into the lower section. Or.....get a grinder that only has one section with no lower container or holes.

If you want to try the "coffee grinder" method, I see them all the time in garage sales for just a dollar or two.

Thank You For All Your Help!
Longhair

LayedBack

I'm just wondering, would this be worth using on midgrade? I know somebody earlier said when you just grind up bud and use this method you aren't making real hash. But what I'm wondering if this would make it more worth it to smoke midgrade cause that is all that is available to me right now, if not its all good, I plan on buyin a z to make hash with. Gonna get a space case and collect kief, then use the rest for oil, but I've been wanting to try this for a while as well.

Since1968

Yet Another Method

Yet Another Method

Although I've always used a SharpStone press, I recently tried this "press" and it works GREAT. I'd like to give a personal tip for what I consider to be the best method and what yielded the best result I've gotten so far.

Once the product is in the press and you've given it that initial twist-down, use a dishwasher to heat the press. DO NOT USE THE WASH OR RINSE CYCLES - ONLY THE DRY CYCLE. When the dishwasher goes into the DRY CYCLE, hang your press from the TOP rack by the T-bar. Evenly distributed heat is the key, and the ambient humidity is the perfect environment. I used an infrared thermal probe to check the temperature of the press and it remained at a constant 112 degrees Fahrenheit. The dry cycle of my dishwasher lasts 20 minutes. At five minute intervals, I quickly open the door, give the press another firm turn and put it back. I repeat this four times. Once the dry cycle ends and you've performed the four presses, remove the press (but don't open it just yet). I let the press rest for at least 6 hours at room temperature to fully cool and (most importantly) to ferment and bind. This method may take a bit longer but the result is absolute PERFECTION.

I bid you warm, "evenly distributed" and SAFE regards.

Its still midgrade weed

Its still midgrade weed

I'm just wondering, would this be worth using on midgrade? I know somebody earlier said when you just grind up bud and use this method you aren't making real hash. But what I'm wondering if this would make it more worth it to smoke midgrade cause that is all that is available to me right now, if not its all good, I plan on buyin a z to make hash with. Gonna get a space case and collect kief, then use the rest for oil, but I've been wanting to try this for a while as well.

Hate to dissapoint you LayedBack but it is still just midgrade weed that has been ground and compacted.
BTW I am the one who wrote that ground up bud is not real hash. there are a lot of threads here that will inform you on several methods of producing hash and hash oil, so I won't even try to explain it here.
We all start out at the same point. We know nothing about anything. Yet we have the ability to explore and learn from our successes and even more from our mistakes........Have fun
Da Beach Bum:smokeit:

Caille

I have a little press deal that works fine for me as well, little one you can get from a head shop, two plastic "barrels" in a tube that screws down on both ends, poor in sift, tighten, warm tighten unscrew remove plug.

Mine cost me $9 at a head shop will post a pic of it tonight. Also mine fits in my pocket.

Alexis
*smiles*