What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS THREAD,mma'ers are welcome

bentom187

Veteran
ok ive been missing out on this for a while,ive been going to a regular physical therapist thats why,also ive just been jogging at the gym (low impact),and cycling.
i plan to start doing the qi gong again soon,perhaps next monday ill get a fresh start.
sleep deprivation has also been killing my workouts.
so if anyone wants to join along im hoping to keep a log book or somthing we can all do together. again lol.

bentom187

Veteran
I have found a school nearby they teach yang tai chi,im going to start within the next month as soon as i get my fee's in,he did however let me borrow a dvd to keep practicing with until then.
after a huge gap in my routines from lazyness and dr.'s appointments,im able to set up a schedule that can accomidate my workouts.

so for the past week my schedule has just been to do my tai chi,and try to eat better.

so 12:00 yang 108 long form,then usually a light run on the treadmill for a mile around 5:00pm.

i usually fill in the spare time with reading or chores,or some light meditation.

i just want to take it easy for now and cultivate just basics and consistancey.

ill fill it up with more as i go.

anyone can join in and document their progress,so pls feel free to do so.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Hi bro,,Good t hear you found a good place..Time is all you have in this world!!
You carry your destiny in the palm of your hand, if you sit it sits,if you run it runs with ya!...peace and love

bentom187

Veteran
Hi bro,,Good t hear you found a good place..Time is all you have in this world!!
You carry your destiny in the palm of your hand, if you sit it sits,if you run it runs with ya!...peace and love

TY brotha,hopfully i progress further than i did before,its just gonna be tough getting in the routine again.ill try to pass as many tips along as i can.
i actually came across one today that helped explained a few of the first movments in yang108 espeacially in rooting and pivoting wich im having a little trouble getting used to in the form.

[YOUTUBEIF]m4ccN_yYKlA[/YOUTUBEIF]

bentom187

Veteran
ok i can do 2 miles with intervals witch i kinda suprised my self,so im gonna stay there for a week or two and build up from there.

[YOUTUBEIF]ivkA_XVMfoM[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]vsDPy7zMrA4[/YOUTUBEIF]

:ying:

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Thats cool bro..
Keep your sword sharp,even 2 mins a day is enough.in a year it will be invisible to your opponents.

bentom187

Veteran
ok guys ive been doing my routine,so far i think i have a good routine.around 11:00 i do tai chi and ai chi fundimental stances ,3:30 i run 2 miles, then around 7:00 i hit the weights.

i think ive lost around 8 pounds in 2 weeks.

anyone else still training?

Last edited:

bentom187

Veteran
im still training,and making progress espeacially with running.dropped two more pounds since the last check.

im still practicing the 108 long form although im still a while away from remembering everything,and practicing the stances has helped alot also although im learning those from my book.

im continuing to switch the times and intesities up,im running intervals on the tread mill for 2 miles,between 5.8 - 6.3 mph ,i need to get a pair of new running shoes desperatley mine are worn out.

then i hop on the weight machines,just working on form with moderate weights,and low reps.

then i do free weights at another gym in the evening.

keep on going if your still training, whatever it is!

bentom187

Veteran
thanks azad i didnt think anyone was visiting this thread.thats a great read,im a few pages in,right now.i have myamoto musashi's 5 rings,i think i may pick that up and start reading it again.

peace.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I keep an eye on this thread.when im not too busy bro.
The 5 rings is a great read bro..Stay well and grow strong!!

Hope your keeping the training up mate..

H

hard rain

Just found this thread. :tiphat:

I practice Cheng Man Ching style Tai Chi. My teacher was taught by a student of Huang, who was considered one of Cheng's greatest students. We practice the form, push hands, and loosening exercises.

The push hands has to be experienced to be believed. The vid below gives an indication. I don't blame people for being skeptical about this but it really isn't staged. I have personally experienced it and have met 2 people in the clip. There is nothing magical about this; it is achieved through relaxing (sinking), and redirecting and releasing energy. The body relaxes downward in a spiral and then lets go in the opposite way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnUDkCQ0WU

and here more recent some of his students. One of them taught my teacher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfPSOI9Io8

Also used to practice in Tong Long kung fu which is another internal style. There are no youtube clips that accurately show it but it was a very close style with lots of hammer fist and palm strikes; virtually no kicks. One hit leads into another. The same person taught both the kung fu and Tai Chi.

bentom187

Veteran
a older documentary of shaolin/chanwuyi/wugulun. the first time i found it with english subtitles and in one segment.enjoy.

[YOUTUBEIF]Bn-M9IyNMTk[/YOUTUBEIF]

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Thanks for the links bro.Very interesting !
But i find it difficult coming from a Jap arts background to follow these Chinese styles.
Seems to me alot of time and dedication is needed.Its like a religious regime imo.
Not knocking it by any means..its just hard to get my head around it.

I recall my friend a Wing Chung practitioner,coming to my Judo and Jiu jitsu class,He ended up breaking his thum and never returning sadly..
He found the Jap arts not to his liking.
Myself im a big fan of Wrestling arts so naturally i choose Judo and jiu jitsu.
And all the Chinsese teachers charge way too much.
I only pay £3 for a 90min jiu jitsu lesson.

just ramblins bro!
Peace and respect..azad

bentom187

Veteran
i hear you on classes being expensive.
here are two video's one explaining bhodidharma,and his idea of meditation,wich he brought to shaolin for the monks to keep up their health,and the forms are meditation/qigong.so we are moving meditators living life.the chinese idea is not to spend ALL your time wall gazing or reading sutras,living in a more harmonious way along with everything else.so the only difference(subjectivley) is how we spend our days.zen is zen in my view.

short vid on bodhidharma and huike the second patriarch of shaolin.

[YOUTUBEIF]9uaFnYhWke8[/YOUTUBEIF]

this is a video of japanese zen master dogen and his life this may explain zen from a more practicle perspective for you,its a really good movie i wish there was a high quality version to post.

[YOUTUBEIF]TinmRC2BS00[/YOUTUBEIF]

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
tumblr_mdfj49hnh01qgjeodo1_500.gif

nice thread man. just noticed it now.
I practice wingchun and jeet kune do.

when i was younger, i did judo and tai kwon do.
Love martial arts, keeps me fit and wanting to better myself daily.

this tv series covered lots of martial arts,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIXZ4e8x9V0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7lrc41FXk
if u can put up with his accent! lol
think the whole series is available for download too ;-)

just thought id post it up, for anyone interested.

D

dank420uk

Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves

Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves

this was the best episode of Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves

Latest posts

Latest posts