What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS THREAD,mma'ers are welcome

spurr

Veteran
"The notion of Grasshopper (re the old TV show of Shoalin monk in the old west) is all fine and good, but make no mistake, true marital arts at their heart, are systems of fighting meant to injure, maim or kill the opponent(s)."

i already posted this but i hope you enjoy it,this is master wu-nanfang of the wugulun school
http://www.youtube.com/user/shaolinwugulunkungfu#p/u/12/ZWwh7mIGuqc

Wow, that was a great video, and something I agree with 100%. Thanks for posting that. When the Sifu (I assume they call him Sifu, or I am wrong?) talks about fighting not being about anger, he's correct, it shouldn't be about anger. That is what I meant when I wrote, in fighting, one should have no emotion (re anger, hatred, etc.).

I like when he said they won't train people with anger and hate, and rightly so. And to that list I add that I generally won't train people with big ego, bravado and quick temper; unless they agree to change.

Compassion takes many forms:

• compassion is when you stop attacking, after you realize your opponent is beaten, and you will only hurt your opponent if you continue.
  • compassion is when you won't injure your opponent, you will only restrain, block, etc., ex., when a very, very drunk guy tries to fight.
  • compassion is when you are attacked, yet you restrain yourself and do not attack in kind.
  • compassion is ...
Anyway, you seem to really have your head on straight, and that's great. And you seem to be a very nice person, with strong character. I can see why you are a good martial artist :tiphat:

bentom187

Veteran
i know i said i wouldnt talk about applications and i dont intend to but this is a video of a teacher in NY he seems to have a handlle on the applications(less so on moral grounds but not bad) so ill post mabey just to get intrest by more people.
ignore the title i dont want a pissing contest in here please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFFpA0C4LU&feature=relmfu

i think he starts off with xinyi and ends with more of a bagua style.

imadoofus

Veteran
i consider myself a fighter moreso than a martial artist; as i train to fight, not soley self defense.

there is such a purity in the moment when competing against someone else, pushing your mental and physical limits, were your worst enemy is youself...

spurr

Veteran
I remember when I asked my Sifu about Dimak(sp?), many years ago. He laughed for a minute, but then told me a story he read in a very old martial arts manuscript (translated to English); he told me the story was known to his Sifu, whom heard of it in China.

Anyway, the story goes, pressure point attacks (not Dimak) and acupuncture where developed in ancient China (time of Yellow Emperor?). During that time prisoners where tortured, often by sticking them with long needles, to see what happens. Sometimes people got sick or died, other times they seemed to get benefit, and thus, pressure point attacks and acupuncture/acupressure were born ... according to the story I heard (can't tell you if it's true or not).

spurr

Veteran
Oh yea, bentom,

My mother has gone to China like 6 times, to study Tai Chi. If she can help you, I'm sure she would do so (ex., info about going to China to study, etc.).

bentom187

Veteran
dim mak (cantonese),has a few stories to it, in japan it was used but the masses took it as purley a phycosymatic effect.
the origins are of shaolin.
the story of accupressure and accupuncture deal with qi and the meridian lines, and do work its very leathal and only taught to morrally outstanding people,it is used in my shaolin chi na book,sealing of the breath ,sealing of the veins/arteries and cavity pressing.

these techniques can cause numbness,paralisis,and death they are the advanced forms of chi na,the meaning of ch na means to seize and control,and again there are levels to that like tearing tendons or misplacing the bone or to simply subdue wich is the simplest,one of the basic rules of performing a chi na technique is to make the person raise up onto their toes so they cannot kick or to bring them to the floor,and at all times be ready to follow up with a kick or punch. again im going into applications but im sure you'd love to read up on it my book come from dr.yang jwing ming and the YMAA schools and publications he goes very in depth about his style and is ALMOST as good as having a real teacher.

Last edited:

bentom187

Veteran
so far i received info from the school ,telling me i need a buisness visa $800 and then $8000 for the school ,thats for room and board and 3 meals a day for 1 year.
and apparently somtimes the students are allowed to leave to experience the sights around there so spending money might be usfull and i have no idea about the toilet paper situation over there it kinda buggs me not knowing.

Tuggo

Not everyday but as often as possible. Bagua jibengong, circle walking, qigong, combat drills, basics.:ying:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Glad I trained lots before I got older. I'vd been doing hard/soft practice for a year or two now, and have got to where I can only manage soft techniques.
But I credit the training for my still being alive. The cancer on my liver is larger than my heart now and has collapsed my right lung. The pressure was not allowing my heart enough volume to pump effectively. For a couple days I was unable to stand more than 15 minutes at a time. Once I fell down and did the floppy chicken for a bit. Panic struck, NOT a good time to die. But rationality took over, relax, go no mind, if this is it then lean into it. Slowly it all loosened up and breathing came back, and a pulse. Fibrillated without the machine, I fully believe death would have been the result if I had remained afraid. Just that one episode was worth all the time and effort and material the training has ever cost over my lifetime.
Then the sternum cracked, relieving the pressure, I'm back to having weeks and weeks left instead of a day or two. I move slow and my chest is one sharp itch spreading almost to the shoulders. DO NOT TOUCH my body says with emphasis when I feel for the edges.

Soft techniques, yes, every day. Sometimes five minutes at a time, but the attitude trains just as hard as ever it did. An art you can spend your whole life learning I was told when I was young. Still learning at the end, and wondrous at my discovery's still.

bentom187

Veteran
Glad I trained lots before I got older. I'vd been doing hard/soft practice for a year or two now, and have got to where I can only manage soft techniques.
But I credit the training for my still being alive. The cancer on my liver is larger than my heart now and has collapsed my right lung. The pressure was not allowing my heart enough volume to pump effectively. For a couple days I was unable to stand more than 15 minutes at a time. Once I fell down and did the floppy chicken for a bit. Panic struck, NOT a good time to die. But rationality took over, relax, go no mind, if this is it then lean into it. Slowly it all loosened up and breathing came back, and a pulse. Fibrillated without the machine, I fully believe death would have been the result if I had remained afraid. Just that one episode was worth all the time and effort and material the training has ever cost over my lifetime.
Then the sternum cracked, relieving the pressure, I'm back to having weeks and weeks left instead of a day or two. I move slow and my chest is one sharp itch spreading almost to the shoulders. DO NOT TOUCH my body says with emphasis when I feel for the edges.

Soft techniques, yes, every day. Sometimes five minutes at a time, but the attitude trains just as hard as ever it did. An art you can spend your whole life learning I was told when I was young. Still learning at the end, and wondrous at my discovery's still.

glad your still with us,no tellin when trainning can kick in,and its definatley inspiring.:ying: :friends: