What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Terpenes of Cannabis Their Aromas and Effects

they test for quite some compounds only found in traces... What's the use for those other than 'being cool'?

Apparently these traces are important, especially when it comes to menthol.
Just take 2 sniffs of Japanese mint oil before you smoke a joint.
I am not sure which substances are responsible for the effects, but it is extremely rich in menthol and there is also menthone, menthyl acetate, menthofuran, (R)-P-mentha-1.8-diene (d-limonene), pulegone, caryophyllene, pinene and linalool in it. A lot of good stuff :dance013:

May be you can explain it all.
Menthol and menthone are κ-opioid receptors. I drink less coffee and smoke less joints now.
Menthyl acetate is an ester and apparently these give you a euphoric feeling.
Caryophyllene is a cannabinoid receptor, linalool is the most sedative and also releases stress, pinene makes you alert and last but certainly not least d-limonene cheers you up and boosts your energy. You can run marathons on it or make rather long posts like this.

Also, what effects would terpenes have on our plants?
They would effect the terpenoid profile, right?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I'm not talking about low-% substances like menthone but the sesquiterpenes at the bottom of Betterhaff's list where you have like <0.01% in dried weed or finally low femtomol in your blood ;) . That's thousand times less than what's reported in a few papers (mostly in vitro data) on mono- and sesquiterpene activities. The bulk of publications shows only activities of these molecules in the high micro- to low millimolar range = not helpful cause nobody is going to consume that much cannabis LoL.

BTW What does menthol do to you?

They would effect the terpenoid profile, right?
They ARE terpenes and hence the terpenoid profile.
How they affect plants is barely studied. Some are part of the so called VOC and serve as messengers between plants and plants or plants and animals.

Just as a side note: Japanese mint does not contain menthofuran and several other of the mentioned constituents are only present in traces ;) . In certain modern cultivars, menthol makes up to 95% but certainly is above 70%! Apart from isomenthone and menthone (each ~5%), most other constituents are below 1% at best.
But that's just my common nitpicking :D .

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Maybe I'm old school but would it hurt to properly attribute the first post to its original author, Martin A. Lee? He contributed the majority of that info through his article, "Talking Terpenes" which was published in High Times (oddly enough) in 2013.

He also co-wrote Acid Dreams, a good read if you're interested in the history of LSD, as well as Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana, which in addition to a somewhat unfortunate title is also a bit wonky at times and for many of us it's not exactly groundbreaking information but a good read for the uninitiated, particularly regarding the development of California's Prop 215 program.

Props on posting the info seaf0ur, I just like to give credit where credit is due. :tiphat:

How could I give credit to Martin A. Lee when Russo contributed much more? And as a point of fact, neither of them went into the organoleptic properties of the substances. If anything, I did use his work as an incomplete list with very little real information about each terpene. A cited reference, sure. Give him credit for my work searching out actual information? It would be more accurate to give credit to the Organoleptic database that I personally scoured over for a month and the Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients: Volumes I and II. 3rd ed.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Makes my breath fresh.

It does have some analgesic properties and can be used as a local anesthetic, an antipruritic, and a counterirritant. Also as a topical for relief for strained muscles.

I smoked menthol cigarettes a long time ago and never really noticed any effects other than taste (and the cooling sensation) although I believe that is a synthetic and not sure of which derivative. Here's a link to pdf about menthol I believe submitted to the FDA by a tobacco company (take that for what it's worth).

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Adviso...uctsScientificAdvisoryCommittee/UCM244889.pdf

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
How could I give credit to Martin A. Lee when Russo contributed much more?

Right, because you can't credit them both for their respective contributions? Give me a break. Do you realize how stupid that sounds, man? Probably not considering you think you're actually making some sort of a point.

You could give credit to Lee by citing him and the article you lifted whole sections from and passed off as your own. Just as easily as you copy & pasted from the article you could copy & paste this thing called a byline. You know, where they credit the author?

And as a point of fact, neither of them went into the organoleptic properties of the substances. If anything, I did use his work as an incomplete list with very little real information about each terpene. A cited reference, sure. Give him credit for my work searching out actual information?

Careful, you might pull something reaching so far.

Your work? You mean copying and pasting other peoples work? You didn't present any new, original info. You lifted it from other sources. Get a grip dude.

As a point of fact, you copied whole sections from Lee's "Talking Terpenes" article and never once mentioned him as the author. Stop the strawman bullshit because I never once said you didn't deserve credit for adding additional information as well as formatting the info and posting it in this thread. As a point of fact, I gave you props for that very thing in my first post. I don't see how you deserve much more credit than that, frankly.

It would be more accurate to give credit to the Organoleptic database that I personally scoured over for a month and the Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients: Volumes I and II. 3rd ed.

Then credit that source too! See how easy this is? You act as if it's some herculean task to cite the source. If you can copy & paste 900 words from an article you can copy three more that mention the author or book. So yeah, add the Organoleptic database and Fenaroli's Handbook to your first post as well as sources. This way people can seek out the source material on their own. This is not some novel concept, it's standard operating procedure.

You think you deserve more credit for doing a google search, some reading and some copy & paste than the author who wrote the material you copied verbatim and presented as your own? It's not like you digested the information and then put it into your own words. You copied it wholesale and passed it off as your own.

Your acknowledgment of Lee's article and your blatant disregard for citing him as the source is just straight up foul.

Give credit where credit is due, it's that simple. You admit you copied from Lee's article so why not reference the source? If you're not hiding anything or trying to pass it off as your own work then what's the problem?

--

Just to illustrate my point... here is a passage from Lee's article titled "Talking Terpenes" which can be read in full
ic
at http://www.hightimes.com/read/talking-terpenes.

THC also activates the CB2 receptor, which regulates immune function and the peripheral nervous system. But this is not the reason people feel stoned when they smoke marijuana; instead, what causes the high is THC binding to the CB1 receptor, which is concentrated in the brain and the central nervous system.

Stimulating the CB2 receptor doesn’t have a psychoactive effect because CB2 receptors are localized predominantly outside the brain and central nervous system. CB2 receptors are present in the gut, spleen, liver, heart, kidneys, bones, blood vessels, lymph cells, endocrine glands, and reproductive organs. Marijuana is such a versatile medicinal substance because it acts everywhere, not just in the brain.

In 2008, the Swiss scientist Jürg Gertsch documented beta-caryophyllene’s binding affinity for the CB2 receptor and described it as “a dietary cannabinoid.” It is the only terpenoid known to directly activate a cannabinoid receptor (which is one of the reasons why green, leafy vegetables are very healthy for people to eat). The dual status of beta-caryophyllene as a terpenoid and a CB2 activator underscores the synergistic interplay between various components of the cannabis plant. There are over 400 chemical compounds in marijuana, including cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids (which give fruit skin its color). Each has specific medicinal attributes, which combine to create a holistic “entourage effect,” so that the therapeutic impact of the whole plant is greater than the sum of its parts.

Certain terpenoids dilate capillaries in the lungs, enabling smoked or vaporized THC to enter the bloodstream more easily. Nerolidol, a sedative terpenoid, is a skin penetrant that increases permeability and potentially facilitates cannabinoid absorption when applied topically for pain or skin conditions. Terpenoids and cannabinoids both increase blood flow, enhance cortical activity and kill respiratory pathogens – including MSRA, the antibiotic-resistant bacteria that in recent years has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of Americans. Dr. Russo’s article reports that cannabinoid-terpenoid interactions “could produce synergy with respect to treatment of pain, inflammation, depression, anxiety, addiction, epilepsy, cancer, fungal, and bacterial infections.”

Marijuana’s bouquet of terpenes – that “riot of perfumes,” as the poet (and hashish eater) Arthur Rimbaud once said – plays another important role: Terpenes buffer THC’s tricky psychoactivity. Cannabinoid terpenoid interactions can amplify the beneficial effects of cannabis while reducing THC-induced anxiety.
From seaf0ur's first post...

THC activates the CB2 receptor, which regulates immune function and the peripheral nervous system. But this is not the reason people feel stoned when they smoke marijuana; instead, what causes the high is THC binding to the CB1 receptor, which is concentrated in the brain and the central nervous system. Stimulating the CB2 receptor doesn’t have a psychoactive effect because CB2 receptors are localized predominantly outside the brain and central nervous system. CB2 receptors are present in the gut, spleen, liver, heart, kidneys, bones, blood vessels, lymph cells, endocrine glands, and reproductive organs. Marijuana is such a versatile medicinal substance because it acts everywhere, not just in the brain.

In 2008, the Swiss scientist Jürg Gertsch documented beta-caryophyllene’s binding affinity for the CB2 receptor and described it as “a dietary cannabinoid.” It is the only terpenoid known to directly activate a cannabinoid receptor (which is one of the reasons why green, leafy vegetables are very healthy for people to eat). The dual status of beta-caryophyllene as a terpenoid and a CB2 activator underscores the synergistic interplay between various components of the cannabis plant. There are many, many chemical compounds in marijuana, including cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids (which give fruit skin its color). Each has specific medicinal attributes, which combine to create a holistic “entourage effect,” so that the therapeutic impact of the whole plant is greater than the sum of its parts. Certain terpenoids dilate capillaries in the lungs, enabling smoked or vaporized THC to enter the bloodstream more easily. Nerolidol, a sedative terpenoid, is a skin penetrant that increases permeability and potentially facilitates cannabinoid absorption when applied topically for pain or skin conditions. Terpenoids and cannabinoids both increase blood flow, enhance cortical activity and kill respiratory pathogens – including MSRA, the antibiotic-resistant bacteria that in recent years has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of Americans. Dr. Russo’s article reports that cannabinoid-terpenoid interactions “could produce synergy with respect to treatment of pain, inflammation, depression, anxiety, addiction, epilepsy, cancer, fungal, and bacterial infections.”

Marijuana’s bouquet of terpenes – that “riot of perfumes,” as the poet (and hashish eater) Arthur Rimbaud once said – plays another important role: Terpenes buffer THC’s psychoactivity. Cannabinoid and Terpenoid interactions can amplify the beneficial effects of cannabis while reducing THC-induced anxiety.
Lee's words, verbatim, no credit.

Give credit where credit is due. It's that simple.

Have a nice day.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I did use some as an intro, sure. I challenge you to find the organoleptic properties that I dug around myself to find. Your post said I should give full credit for the article to someone who did not do the organoleptic footwork that I did. I would have to reference many high times articles, assorted websites, as well as over 10 perfumers databases and food additive sites. Plus books that I have here at the house... the reference page would be 3x the size of the organoleptic info, which was my focus, and the portion that noone else has compiled.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I did use some as an intro, sure. I challenge you to find the organoleptic properties that I dug around myself to find. Your post said I should give full credit for the article to someone who did not do the organoleptic footwork that I did. I would have to reference many high times articles, assorted websites, as well as over 10 perfumers databases and food additive sites. Plus books that I have here at the house... the reference page would be 3x the size of the organoleptic info, which was my focus, and the portion that noone else has compiled.

If you want to help folks understand "The Terpenes of Cannabis Their Aromas and Effects" a few things would help, first of all list the 140 terpenes found in Cannabis, I gave you a source, you found it online.
It was in post #52 & your post #68.
To imply that there are 400 or 20,000 terpenes that effect Cannabis is just plain absurd and a waste of peoples time, why not just list all 20,000+ terpenes, why stop at 400? For a terpene to effect Cannabis it had to be found in Cannabis, if not found in Cannabis how can it have modulated the THC or other Cannabinoids found in most Cannabis?
Real science needs real references, it is not so hard, and normal in science, a lot easier then trying all 20,000 terpenes or even just the 400 you seem to favor, for example. A reference list at the very end of your summery of the data you used would likely help people also. Even terpene/Cannabis articles you did not use any of would be interesting to most readers, just list them as a reference so others can read them.
It is your thread, but if your goal is to inform people, you might consider my points.
Data about non-Cannabis terpenes is premature to say the least.
I am not saying they will have no effects when put in Cannabis, I am saying they have not been found in Cannabis and are not responsible for any of the effects found in Cannabis up till now.
-SamS

I'm not talking about low-% substances like menthone but the sesquiterpenes at the bottom of Betterhaff's list where you have like <0.01% in dried weed or finally low femtomol in your blood ;) . That's thousand times less than what's reported in a few papers (mostly in vitro data) on mono- and sesquiterpene activities. The bulk of publications shows only activities of these molecules in the high micro- to low millimolar range = not helpful cause nobody is going to consume that much cannabis LoL.

So because certain strains have low or zero amounts of certain substances we shouldn't test for these substances at all in any strain?​
Anything we can smell has effect, even small traces can add to that.​
Of course larger amounts would have more effect (in most cases).​
Japanese mint does not contain menthofuran

Let's hope so, but it is still on the warning.​

Like I said I am not sure, because I use eucalyptus and lemon as part of my experiment as well.​
The combination of these is very uplifting and takes away coughlock.​

if not found in Cannabis how can it have modulated the THC or other Cannabinoids found in most Cannabis?

I'd love to answer that, but it's probably better if Only Ornamental does, he was just getting there:

Some are part of the so called VOC and serve as messengers between plants and plants or plants and animals.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I'd love to answer that, but it's probably better if Only Ornamental does, he was just getting there:
Sorry :blowbubbles: but for once I'm not. :hide:
I'm not (not yet?) much interested in VOC-mediated plant communication. Can't have it all, right? With a few exceptions, this subject looks so far to be less explainable than aroma therapy. IMHO, VOCs deserve their own thread and should not be mixed with the current subject. Furthermore, (please insert other excuses).

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
TROLL^^^^^^^ALERT

Aww, that's cute. Defending your buddy even in the face of evidence. Seaf0ur, you have a fanboy. Congrats.

The irony of your post is clearly lost on a mental midget such as yourself. Thanks for the laugh, though.

You admit you copied "some" of Lee's article to include in your post yet you're arguing he doesn't deserve to be credited or referenced as the source. You don't get to make that decision, unless you want to be known as someone who steals other peoples work and passes it off as their own. Last I checked that was called plagiarism.

I'll concede that my original post was poorly worded in that you do not need to credit the "entire" post to Lee, just the portions you copied from his article. There is no logical argument against doing so.

You also copied information from other sources and chose not to cite them. Which is wrong. You obviously don't understand how this works and think somehow you're exempt or that you get to decide when and where you should credit the source material you copied from verbatim. Did you put any of the organoleptic information into your own words or are those descriptions wholesale copies of the original source material as well?

It's crazy that you need this spelled out for you. I'm kinda stunned that I find myself in this position, and even more surprised that I'm not only getting called a troll by you're idiot friend but having you attempt to defend a textbook example of plagiarism. Is this real life?

If you can spend all that time putting that post together you can definitely spend two seconds to type "by Martin A. Lee" before the paragraphs you lifted from his article. It's just absurd and frankly, bullshit to pretend that it's some unreasonable request to credit the original source, whether it's Lee or some database you scoured.

Real science needs real references, it is not so hard... A reference list at the very end of your summery of the data you used would likely help people also. Even terpene/Cannabis articles you did not use any of would be interesting to most readers, just list them as a reference so others can read them.
It is your thread, but if your goal is to inform people, you might consider my points.
-SamS

Hey SG1, you going to call this guy a troll too for saying basically the same thing as me?

I doubt it. Coward.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Sam,

I revegged a flowered thunk that had lost its black pepper scent.

The reveg of a reveg produces cuttings that have the black
pepper scent in flower once again, thought to be long lost.

None of the S1's of the first revegged had the scent, project abandoned.

I am unaware of mechanism behind any of this, quite over my head really.

Thought you should know.

hicksticky

Still at large...
ya know some of us frequent this thread to learn share and grow.
not bare witness to a knowledge of terpene dick measuring contest......WTF?
I'm not even going to pretend to know as much as some of you folks, fact is thats why I'm here to LEARN but to try and sort though all the bridge dwellers post it get frustrating and takes away from the context of what this thread was suppose to be.

@ Rasp, yes Sea should give credit to the authors that he sited from, over sites happen but not every little sentence has to be assigned. but shit you mentioned Lee's involvement like 8 times in your last post(s).....job done, point made..... your a shape tool I'm sure. Sincerely.

Why dont you blades get together and collaborate and contribute instead on kickin the leg of the chair hoping the guy falls...........silliness I say I didnt think that I switch the channel to MTV's Real world....drama,drama .........but I had to check.

I tell ya right now I'm not a fan boy, ya I have a SG sig, good gear thats why. But I'm more inclined to tell the truth the way its seen and maybe I'm out of line where I'm new and a lil fish in this pond.
Just frustrating is all when you try and learn and there is a shit ton of distractions bleaching away the lesson,. hhhmmmmm sounds like high school.
I know I not a prepubescent pimple popper. (anymore lol)
so lets shake it off and get back on track, is that such a hard thing???

And yes this reply does contradict my message but again WTF...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I never have seen or heard of this, altho I have certainly seen the exact same clone grown under different conditions, lights, lumens, photoperiod, soils, Hydro, fertilizers, water, humidity, pot size, plant size, EC, temperatures, under lights, outdoors, greenhouse, they all effect terpene expression, and can make the terpene % be much lower.
Why do you think it changed? If it did it was the expression, not the genes that changed, thats why the smells came back?
-SamS

Sam,

I revegged a flowered thunk that had lost its black pepper scent.

The reveg of a reveg produces cuttings that have the black
pepper scent in flower once again, thought to be long lost.

None of the S1's of the first revegged had the scent, project abandoned.

I am unaware of mechanism behind any of this, quite over my head really.

Thought you should know.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Look, now this is getting really silly. Comments from the peanut gallery that serve no purpose but to continue the distractions in this thread and misrepresent what actually occurred between seaf0ur and myself.

I didn't think seaf0ur would try to defend plagiarism nor did I anticipate having to explain to other people why stealing is wrong and shouldn't simply be swept under the rug just for the sake of keeping a thread all kumbaya.

Some of you need to get some thicker skin and stop acting like any time someone is even the slightest bit critical of someone else that they're being a hater or trying to bring someone down or just being difficult. That is some seriously high school level bullshit and it's pretty sad that so many people here seem genuinely incapable of having a discussion without getting emotional.

I've made my point crystal clear and anyone reading this thread knows full well by now Martin A. Lee contributed significant portions of seaf0urs post from his article "Talking Terpenes". That was my only intent.

Happy Holidays, sincerely.