What's new

The St.'s 150watt hps cab

The St.

quick update, i ended up retransplanting them, i got rid of the soil they were in and put them into some pro mix ultimate organic mix and added a scaled down amount of ferts. i also put them into a plastic box with a piece of glass on top to increase the humidity, it was around 16%! its now around 40-50% which i will definitely settle for. i checked on them this morning and 2 of them are doing really well, their leaves are standing back up and they look just better. the soil i took them out of was bone dry, i guess it dried out too much over the few months ive had it and i didnt water it to saturation when i started using it, i just got it a little wet. so heres some pics

this one is the plants in their plastic bucket, with the glass on top, i just laid the clamp light i have in there on top of the glass, the fans are just sitting on top of it too.

and some plant pics:

this is the one that was showing purple early on under its first set of leaves

this one is the same strain

this one is something completely different, but so far its my favorite, structurally. not sure what to expect from it, but we'll see!

thats it for now!

Peace

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alright Saint? :wave:

I just kinda stumbled onto your grow diary and after browsing through, I thought I'd say I really like your set up mate. I really enjoy watching these stealth grows, some innovative stuff :D

I saw you're into your organics right? Try adding some of this stuff to your soil mix if you don't already (Mycorrhizae)

Last edited:

segue

When are you switching to the 150?

Nice bubbler by the way (the bigger one on the right). I like the wormy-inlay stuff. I have a bubbler and a spoon like that.

The St.

Sammet, thanks alot man! and yeah, i definitely try to use all organic products. the soil that i have (the pro mix ultimate organic mix) has mycorise in it which i believe is just a pro mix trademarked name for mycorrhizae(?). but thanks for the advice, ive never really heard much about it until i bought the soil. but again, thanks for checkin the grow out! stick around if youd like!

Segue, i think ill be turning the 150 on in about a week or so, i want them to get a little bit bigger so im not losing too much light. the canopies on these babies isnt very big so im gonna hold off. thanks for the comp on the pipe though, i really like that style too. nice glass is an obsession of mine!

Peace!

K

kidkannabis

hey The St..... good job on the transplant...thats exactly what they needed.I would try giving plain water for the next 2 waterings just to completely flush out what they previously drank.Theyll love it...but just a suggestion.Theyre looking good though.....keep it up

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
plants are looking good. You'll be very happy when you hook up your 150. The growth will be so so nice. I thought about cfls but just couldn't do it.

Hey man.. Comin along great aside from that little nute burn.. Nice recovery with the new soil though :) And it looks like that new growth down at the bottom is comin along nicely already :)

I think your plants will LOVE the HPS.. I could tell my plants grew alot already today just from the light ^_^... I keep wondering if id be able to put in a 150w just cuz how kickass my fans/temps are.. I actually had to turn my fans DOWN cuz it dropped down to 70 * ... And thats the normal temp in my room!

The St.

kid- since i have ferts mixed in with the soil i just feed with water unless they show some kind of deficiency. thanks for looking out though man!

Connoisseur300- ill probably be hooking it up tomorrow or the next day, im making an air cooled section in my cab for the 150 tonight! i was going to wait until the canopy covered the pots too, but i dont know yet.

Mushu- yeah the side growth is coming out pretty quickly on the larger healthier looking ones, theyre doing pretty well! thats cool your temps are staying so low though, glad to hear it!

well, like i said, ill be hooking up an air cooled section of the box tonight for my 150. hope it goes well!

Peace guys!

The St.

hey there, after a horribly failed attempt at an air cooled hood/reflector i ended up making a diy cool tube. i found a round glass candle holder type thing and hooked up some dryer vent to it, stuck a pc fan inside the vent aimed at the hps bulb and then a suction fan on the other side pulling air out through. pretty basic. my temps however are hanging around in the 80's, i dont like that much, never liked the music... just kidding... but my temps are really staying in the 80's though.
i still have the plants in the plastic box with glass top to keep the humidity in good range for em', they are about 10"-12" from the hps, is this acceptable? can i lower them? i think that would help with the temps in the plant's box. i have the glass on top of it propped up a bit, the temps would be really high if i didnt. this drops the temp about 5 degrees or so.

pics of the set up

and the babies

peace guys!

vintner

Careful, I just had my bullshit meter recalibrated
Veteran
The St: I love the stealth of your cab man. Very nice, and very inspiring!

sugabear_II

Veteran
The St. - I don't get it man - what's the glass on top of the plant area for? I'd take it off man - that's probably baking the plants like a greenhouse - low humidity is fine once they're growing...

what's the temp in the cabinet with the lights on?

if the cool tube is working properly it should not raise temps at all - I would bet just having the bulb in there with a computer fan blowing on it will be just as cool and then you can worry about the main extraction fan.

-suga

T

TheOneWill

Is that a glass tube or a 2 liter bottle of coke with the top and bottom cut off?

The St.

thanks vintner!

suga, my rh is around 16% without the glass on top of the box, will that be ok for the plants? i thought that the rh had to be much higher for good growth? the temp with the light on is around 75 or so, maybe 80, great temps, but i was trying to increase the humidity. i guess ill just have low humidity then if i dont need it high though! ill just run it without the top on.
thanks man!

theonewill, that is a glass tube, bro! dont wanna burn the house down, just wanna grow something to burn down! thanks though...

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey st. - yeah I'd run w/o the glass lid on there - I'd actually put the plants up closer to the light maybe on top of that clear container turned upside down.

that rh is low but not the end of the world. if your plants are not constantly wilting I don't think they're over-transpiring. Sounds like you'd have a great environment for hydro. If the top of your soil starts drying out too quickly you can add a layer of hydroton and it will help stave off the evaporation.

-suga

T

TheOneWill

Where did you get it from because I plan on using one?
thanks for all the info.

The St.

suga, i need to rework my cool tube i think, its not controlling the temps as well as i imagined so its still putting off a little bit of heat. nothing crazy, but i think i would be too hot with just a pc fan on it, but if this doesnt work for now ill give that a whirl. the low humidity (i think) had something to do with the funk the plants were in a week or so ago, the soil was constantly drying out but the plants looked like they were overwatered (?) i dont know, i guess ill see in the next few days! ive actually been thinking of switching to a dwc set up later on.. thanks alot bro!

theonewill, that was actually sold on a candle pedestal type thing that you just slide the cylinder over the candle to keep it from catching things on fire. i picked it up at marshall's. you could also use an oil burning lantern's glass insert i would imagine, theyre made to withstand heat, and could fit a 150 in it.

thanks again!!

Peace

The St.

update, around 5 weeks.
i forgot to mention before, i painted the inside of the box white. got tired of the emer. blankets.
i got rid of the runt plant. just growing slowly and unhealthy, so i did the humane thing and put it out of its misery. the other 2 are looking great. lots of undergrowth on the puple pheno'd one. the other is starting to get some undergrowth. ive got some beans coming to me soon too. heres some pics of the two i have left.

hopefully my plants kick as much ass as the team on the lighter haha!!!!

Peace!

K

kidkannabis

Very nice The St. Theyre looking good... Keep doing what your doing and im sure theyll kick ass like the Patriots.... keep us updated...

The St.

Pipe, yes that is an undefeated face!

Kid, i certainly hope so bro!

well, went out for a while tonight and when i came home my cool tube was falling apart... the glass got warm enough to weaken the adhesive on the duct tape and electrical tape and it started to slide off. luckily i caught it before anything serious happened. i remounted my 150 how i originally had it and there is a pc fan blowing on it, and i also remounted my main exhaust fan... hope the temps do alright tonight! im gonna have to go tomorrow and get some other fans...

peace! :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts