What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Interesting that Dr. Purpur would give all of his strains to get some Cambodian Red he had in '77 or so. I will say that as fact while not having validated it with him. hehe

I think Cambodian Red was mostly a good grade of pot and somewhat stony? His CR was transcendent trip weed. He had high grade Colombian, Mexican, etc. and I am sure Thai all at the same place and time. Peron's pot shop in San Francisco. He said the people at the shop agreed on the Cambodian being the best.

Great Thai seems to have been a more widely available option. Reports of super Sumatran, Cambodian, Indian etc. are hard to come by. So I think it is just that the Thai weed more consistently delivered the super potent and hopefully lysergic effects.

Dr. Purpur has been around, and definitely someone worthy of listening to intently. Purpur grows many of the strains right now that I have yearned to try, because of the genetic history and reputation. I believe he grows in an area that has the climate that can nurture the exotic strains. I used to live relatively close to where he is.

I would love to read WHY he thinks Cambodian was his favorite long lost strain. I'm supremely confident that it's not because it was more potent. Like I've said many times, at least half of people I smoked Thai Stick with didn't like it because it is too intense, too nervous, and too paranoid inducing for the first hour of the high.

"I think Cambodian Red was mostly a good grade of pot and somewhat stony?" Oh lord! Why would one even want S.E. Asian weed if you are looking for "stony"?! LMAO

Back to Thai and "best". Many people who I respect and trust prefer a smoother high than the Thai Sticks I was getting. Donald and I have different preferences. This brings in a quote from Maguire and Ritter that is foreign to me. Thai Sticks were affectionately referred to as Buddha Sticks. I thought those were two very different products, from my experience. Buddha Sticks were fat and tied with colored string. I had ones with red string. The original Thai Stick I was getting were skinny with natural un-dyed fiber used as the string. I never heard anyone refer to the skinny sticks as Buddha sticks at the time. I believe Donald, and many others, preferred the fat sticks. I think the same might be said about the Cambodian Red. If I had either Buddha or Red right now, they would be treasured. I'm thinking I might in the Super Laos.

I'm not sure, but I suspect I smoked the Cambodian Red on a couple of different batches. It was in the early 80s when Thai Stick availability was plummeting. The first time, I dismissed the stuff. Indica crosses were relatively new, and the C. Red had a high so clean and clear, it was easy to not appreciate it immediately. It was competing with the new kid on the block, Kush. They did have the trippy high to them, and over time I came to ache for it. "Too late", kick myself in the ass for not grabbing as much as I could while it was available. I smoked the exact same stuff a couple years later. God, that stuff was good.

It wasn't anything like Panama Red or Colombian Red, which did, without a doubt, have a note of "stony" to them. This stuff was too pure and clean. It was more like the special Bangi Haze I found. Very positive, euphoric, and mildly but exceptionally blissful trippy. Make me a better person type of weed.

Thai Stick was more scare the living hell out of you, then let you down smooth and easy after scaring you straight. Need a half day to go through all the phases. At least for the rookies. Mwahahahaha. :sasmokin: After smoking, I felt like I had a talk with the devil, but we're cool now. It was touch and go for what seemed like an eternity. Then smoking hot angels brought me back, caressed me, and let me down easy.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thanks for the pics Hempy!!! Oh how I yearn for that. You just can't know.

"What we saw looked more like this dark with the classic dark earthy spicy smells."

Yep, that's right, for the most part. Funny thing was, it looked brown from afar, but upon very close inspection, I could see much dark army green. The plants were dark green when I grew them.

The Buddha Sticks were more golden brown, but I also had the super gold colored ones like the Laos bud that Donald posted.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
In the 1980's after thai sticks disappeared, we had thai bud for a few years. No idea if it was really from there, but kicked ass.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Dr. Purpur has been around, and definitely someone worthy of listening to intently. Purpur grows many of the strains right now that I have yearned to try, because of the genetic history and reputation. I believe he grows in an area that has the climate that can nurture the exotic strains. I used to live relatively close to where he is.

I would love to read WHY he thinks Cambodian was his favorite long lost strain. I'm supremely confident that it's not because it was more potent. Like I've said many times, at least half of people I smoked Thai Stick with didn't like it because it is too intense, too nervous, and too paranoid inducing for the first hour of the high.

"I think Cambodian Red was mostly a good grade of pot and somewhat stony?" Oh lord! Why would one even want S.E. Asian weed if you are looking for "stony"?! LMAO

Back to Thai and "best". Many people who I respect and trust prefer a smoother high than the Thai Sticks I was getting. Donald and I have different preferences. This brings in a quote from Maguire and Ritter that is foreign to me. Thai Sticks were affectionately referred to as Buddha Sticks. I thought those were two very different products, from my experience. Buddha Sticks were fat and tied with colored string. I had ones with red string. The original Thai Stick I was getting were skinny with natural un-dyed fiber used as the string. I never heard anyone refer to the skinny sticks as Buddha sticks at the time. I believe Donald, and many others, preferred the fat sticks. I think the same might be said about the Cambodian Red. If I had either Buddha or Red right now, they would be treasured. I'm thinking I might in the Super Laos.

I'm not sure, but I suspect I smoked the Cambodian Red on a couple of different batches. It was in the early 80s when Thai Stick availability was plummeting. The first time, I dismissed the stuff. Indica crosses were relatively new, and the C. Red had a high so clean and clear, it was easy to not appreciate it immediately. It was competing with the new kid on the block, Kush. They did have the trippy high to them, and over time I came to ache for it. "Too late", kick myself in the ass for not grabbing as much as I could while it was available. I smoked the exact same stuff a couple years later. God, that stuff was good.

It wasn't anything like Panama Red or Colombian Red, which did, without a doubt, have a note of "stony" to them. This stuff was too pure and clean. It was more like the special Bangi Haze I found. Very positive, euphoric, and mildly but exceptionally blissful trippy. Make me a better person type of weed.

Thai Stick was more scare the living hell out of you, then let you down smooth and easy after scaring you straight. Need a half day to go through all the phases. At least for the rookies. Mwahahahaha. :sasmokin: After smoking, I felt like I had a talk with the devil, but we're cool now. It was touch and go for what seemed like an eternity. Then smoking hot angels brought me back, caressed me, and let me down easy.
hey thaibliss ,
i have seen those larger "buddha sticks" with red string online , on here even , i think they can still be had in some parts of thailand according to what friends have scored and i suspected they may be from cambodia also ,,
typically its just compressed brick weed now suspected to be from Laos , its potency varies , its not near as potent as the thai stick was,
but with a lower tolerance and combined with jet lag it can give a chap a bit of a wild ride ,(be careful what you think of)

anyhow no we didnt get those larger buddha sticks here in oz , i never tried them , only the thinner stuff that was quite brown ,
which was followed later by golden stuff not tied to a stick ,
the golden stuff was my favorite , it sounds like the same stuff they refer to as the golden voice ,
such good weed man ...

much later on we had some shipments of the compressed stuff that is still seen around thailand today , it was lovingly called wheat bix because an ounce was the same size as a wheat bix brick..

i think india also had buddha sticks , they were larger from what i recall also ...

btw , laos and where the thai sticks were grown is all in the same area , just the mekong seperates them ,
it would not surprise me they were all growing similar stuff in the hay day , as one of the guys has said , seeds dont know borders , and those folks are ethnically similar/same , they eat and speak Laos ..

i spend as much time as i can in those places , udonthani , nong khai , sakon nakon , etc

they are a long way from the coast , quite inland , the monsoon finishes when it should, no rain after that and then nights can get quite cool in december and january , though the days are still up around 30 celcius , nice warm dry days to finish the crop in ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
that "thai stick book" has a page on facebook ,
some great pictures and information on there from the authors ,,

heres one quote followed by some pictures of sticks from udonthani and some cannabis grown around the same area in the 70 s .. ,

My coauthor and I conducted close to 1000 hours of interviews in Thailand, Cambodia, and the US and found no evidence of the "opiated Thai Stick." One otherwise credible source claimed that some Thai had an "opium tincture" sprinkled on it. Although the source was a major early player who caught the first "Golden Voice" that was shipped via APO to Oahu, his time in Asia was limited, and he was mistaken. The fact that this myth persists is testimony to how strong Thai Stick were

picture.php

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Phew thats a lot of tying they probably had the whole village in on the action can you imagine how many man hours that lot took.
The Thai sticks I scored in London in the 70's looked about that size it was the first time I had smoked green looking buds having just arrived from Africa.
I remember being impressed by the quality of the herb even then.

Dr.King

Veteran
Greetings, really helps to talk to people and interview people that where in the war during that time in the 70s. I know my dad was in the war during the 70s and he was stationed over there. He told me he got to try thai stick which it was buds wrapped around sticks with like hemp or something that burned easily. They did have a thai stick that you could buy that was dipped in some kind of trippy stuff that made you feel heavy like pain pills or sometimes acid he said lol. Just depends on what you got at the time. He said he saw soldiers high and some tripping out on it. Happy growing.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Phew thats a lot of tying they probably had the whole village in on the action can you imagine how many man hours that lot took.
The Thai sticks I scored in London in the 70's looked about that size it was the first time I had smoked green looking buds having just arrived from Africa.
i think those were women hours tang ,
the guys grew it , the women packed it ,
the work is too fiddly and mundane for thai guys ... lol ...

Swamp Thang

Veteran

Oddly enough I also resided in the Swiss Cottage area in the early 1970s, and used to score my Thai Stick from a Jamaican dude who went by the name "Kushi". Potent stuff, but ran out so quick he he.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
( I would love to read WHY he thinks Cambodian was his favorite long lost strain.)

It was due to it being somewhat like LSD or something trippy and other than pot. I think a good deal of euphoria too. He said things looked reddish or pink after smoking. hehe

I think it was a certain batch and not Cambodian in general. I am sure he has gone thru many Cambodian lines since then to find it. I have some Cambodian seeds from ILE which I got in hopes they are related to what he had long ago.

I grew a Cambodian x Thai and got two phenos. One was clear and the other not so much. I assumed the Cambodian one was not so clear. Almost stony but not quite. Many lines in each country I am sure.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Yesum its possible that Dennis Peron collected his Cambodian while in Asia as he served and went to the Vietnam war.

There is a picture of him with a Cambodian line some were on line.

Nexus7

Playing around in the Phylos Universe, all these genetics are relatively closely related. The most interesting find was about Neville's Haze. I've been swearing up and down that Neville's Haze has Thai in it. There is no doubt in my mind due to my experience with what I call the Neville's Haze Freak Pheno. I believe others call it the Acid Pheno. There were dozens of submissions of various genetics named Haze. I must have click on half of them, including Neville's Haze from the 80s. Neville's Haze was the only version of Haze that was solidly in the area of Thai, Laos, Papua New Guinea, Sumatran Tuk Tuk, Vietnamese, etc.

Aloha TB,

Just thought I'd let you know the sample on phylos labelled as Mauritius P2 male is actually Nevil's Haze late 80's - the cut that Nevil selected himself apparently and made it's way to ace seeds ;)

https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGT-243527/ace-seeds/mauritius-p2-male

https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGT-243526/ace-seeds/nevils-haze-late-80s

Looks like they got mixed up ...

Maybe you should check out Ace Mauritius then?

Red October

Aloha TB,

Just thought I'd let you know the sample on phylos labelled as Mauritius P2 male is actually Nevil's Haze late 80's - the cut that Nevil selected himself apparently and made it's way to ace seeds ;)

https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGT-243527/ace-seeds/mauritius-p2-male

https://phylos.bio/sims/variety/PGT-243526/ace-seeds/nevils-haze-late-80s

Looks like they got mixed up ...

Maybe you should check out Ace Mauritius then?
now that is very interesting.

Nexus7

^^^
They don't have Haze C.

Just:
A5 cut
C5 cut
Hash Plant Haze cut
Nevil's Haze cut

According to them anyway ...

Mimpi Manis

Mr Bliss said:
I swore I was meaning to shift the conversation a bit, to pull the recent posts out of a tailspin. I guess I'm not that good.

Christ my friend... that post was a wild and amusing ride. Tho made a note not to piss you off. Can I say... I do not disagree with anything you've said about Thai Stick. (So Far!). Still the bench mark. Full stop. Count myself lucky to have tried some of the best weed the world has had to offer. (In my patch). All those years ago. Fuck... it was good almost everywhere. Sumatra, Java, Penang, Singapore, Malaysia, Aceh. Here too. There are some damn good sativa growers post in this forum. Feel sure someone will nail down a few close ones. Sharing the good stuff is social responsibility after all! PS: Pics of those Thai sticks. Man... some memories there.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I think there was so much confusion, I raised their ethiopia x Mauritius, there is no Nev. Hz in there ...
Phylos isn't a good place to search info...
Why? See how much skunk genetics are contained in original skunk ....
The starting idea was good ....

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Perhaps I have already said it, but I repeat it, in his book Howard Mr. Nice Marks(which in his day was a large importer) tells of how the grass of certain areas of Vietnam was packaged and then traded around the world as "thai" .. .

Mimpi Manis

Mr Duck said:[QUOTEThat "thai stick book" has a page on facebook ,
some great pictures and information on there from the author. [/QUOTE]

Jeez... don't they look sweet! You see anything like that in your time over there Mr D?

Nexus7

I think there was so much confusion, I raised their ethiopia x Mauritius, there is no Nev. Hz in there ...
Phylos isn't a good place to search info...
Why? See how much skunk genetics are contained in original skunk ....
The starting idea was good ....

What I'm trying to say is the samples got mixed up when tested at phylos.

The sample listed as Mauritius should be labelled Nev Haze

And sample labeled Nev Hz should read Mauritius

The two varieties are not related at all!

Latest posts

Latest posts