What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Greetings,

I've been going through my seed collection trying to narrow down what I will keep for a 10 degrees north growing location. I did a lot of researching descriptions of what I have, and looking at the Phylos Universe. I've come away with these as my top choices.

I could use some advice from a tropical grower. My understanding is that the summer and fall, May through Oct. north of the equator, are the wet season. The dry season starts about the time that I would expect plants to start flowering. Should I attempt to start seeds near the end of the wet season, or should I start them at the end of the dry season and let them grow through the wet season? I'd appreciate any advice from an experienced tropical grower.

ThaiBliss
Sounds like your heading to a nice climate thaibliss ,
dry and mountainous is excellent imho ,
most around where i live say the highland weed is better than the coastal stuff ,
less humidity , higher uv ,, cooler nights ,, what ever does it , or the combo of all those things , most appreciated the quality of the highland weed ..

i would as you said start seeds toward the end of the wet season, once you see what the wet is like , it will give you more idea of what you can get away with ,
it varies from place to place , some dry pockets and micro climates , particularly in the mountains ,
some guys where i live are able to grow during the wet season as its not as punishing as it can be in places closer to the coast ..

and your correct in saying they should finish when it dries out, i think this is part of what makes/encourages the otherwise stubborn sativas to finish , no more rain , cooler/shorter days and because its so dry they can no longer feed , they have no choice but to finish flowering ....

dont forget you can grow in the dry season too , just not the same varieties as u would in the wetter time,
most hybrids grow and finish flowering during the dry before the storms come , the fluctuating hours dont bother them too much, with the exception of some sativa dominant hybrids ,, they sometimes start reveging once the hours are long enough to do so ...

i think there is less chance of finding tripping weed in those types though , but still some good pot amongst them ...

VanVulpen

Veteran
Neville's Haze x (Zamal x Meao Thai) - These were gifted to me. I'm not positive about the Meao Thai part, as the hand writing is not legible to me, but I think it came from the circle of friends of Van Vulpen who was know to have made this cross. Many, many, thanks to my friend if this is what I think it is.

Hi Thai Bliss,
I am very honoured and humbled to find out that this cross has made it to your list of sativas to grow in your new sunny location. I'm assuming these are reproductions made by our good friend RC and hopefully you'll find something worthy of your quest for trip weed.
I can confirm that it is indeed a Meao Thai part in it, in fact there were three mothers of the original cross I made which I got from Dubi just before his release of the later known Golden Tiger. He wrote a post about a project they had going with a selected Meao Thai male (same one used in Destroyer, maybe?) and three mothers namely, the Killer Malawi, Gerrit's selected cut of Gypsy's Zamal and a Vietnam Black.
I've asked him on a PM if he would sell me 5 seeds of each and sure thing he did...
That season I've grown one of each and they were all very nice but the Zamal x Thai really took the prize. The very next season I gave it another go and had three females out of the remaining 4 seeds. I have stupidly discarded the male, don't really remember why, but had them pollinated with random Neville's Haze males and Tom Hill's Haze too...
What came out of it was the stuff of legends, at least in my circle of friends, I had seasoned smokers dropping out like flies whenever I was sharing my weed at parties only to wake up later asking for more!
Ever since then there is no single day that passes without me kicking myself for loosing the remaining seeds, you must know the feeling you got over losing your Neville's Haze freak pheno you so much like to rave about... The only upside is that I shared seeds around here too to quite a few folks but to the best of my knowledge is only RC that has preserved the line although I could and wish that I was wrong.
Hope this clears the story and I'm looking forward with great excitement to see what do you make of it...
Bellow there's a picture of one of the Zamal x Thai mothers, I feel deeply nostalgic everytime I look at her, like the photo of a long lost friend or, better yet, a testimony of the only good thing coming out of my misspent youth...

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
...but the Zamal x Thai really took the prize. ...had them pollinated with random Neville's Haze males...
What came out of it was the stuff of legends, at least in my circle of friends, I had seasoned smokers dropping out like flies whenever I was sharing my weed at parties only to wake up later asking for more!
LMFAO! :biggrin:

Ever since then there is no single day that passes without me kicking myself for loosing the remaining seeds, you must know the feeling you got over losing your Neville's Haze freak pheno you so much like to rave about...
Yes, yes... but at least we got to experience smoking world class weed that we grew ourselves. Talk about being honored. We have been very fortunate.

The only upside is that I shared seeds around here too to quite a few folks but to the best of my knowledge is only RC that has preserved the line although I could and wish that I was wrong.
Hope this clears the story and I'm looking forward with great excitement to see what do you make of it...
We'll see how things go. If I can't preserve it as it was, I might be able to get something good. After all, I think it will be in very good company. I've been collecting for a very long time to find the best of the best for this upcoming year or two. Hopefully, I can get something special to be returned back to those that have helped so much. Thanks for posting with these details and picture. I remember fondly a visit I had with our friend.

Bellow there's a picture of one of the Zamal x Thai mothers, I feel deeply nostalgic everytime I look at her, like the photo of a long lost friend or, better yet, a testimony of the only good thing coming out of my misspent youth...
View Image
Beautiful brother, also sad and funny. I like your sense of humor. Like I said, remember to keep the feeling of being blessed, because we have been. I wish I had shared with so many more, so more can yearn for that special kind, and work towards finding some again. The quest is the life to live.
:clover:
Thanks again for your post!

ThaiBliss

therevverend

Veteran
California is a hashplant environment?! Here we go with that stuff...
By California I meant northern mountain California by which I meant Southern Oregon which is where you're at. Not talking about Santa Cruz. I understand why you misunderstand, I'm confused myself. When I talk about 'California hashplant environment' I'm talking about elevation, above two thousand feet and extremely dry. Wet cool winters and springs and long hot summers. Frost by November 1. Afghanistan type weather. I think it's great for cannabis and cannabis breeding, but not so great for tropical varieties that finish in December or January. Hopefully that clarifies what I'm talking about.

therevverend

Veteran
This rings true, but not sure about the rest of that paragraph.
Ha he that's because I was bullshitting..

I swear I thought I was just going on and on about how I miss the variety of highs. I think I was even waxing poetic about the indica high. Probably just in my mind, because waxing poetic is quite an exaggeration of my writing skills. And.. I am old.
I was talking about your ideal as a smoker and a gardener. The strain you would most want to create or find to work with, what you would find most satisfying. Sure, this and that and the rest tastes good and is fun to grow, but not many people are growing strains that finish in January. I have no idea what your goal is because I'm too young to have smoked Thai sticks or any of the other import stuff. I've probably smoked imported cannabis less then 5, 10 times in my life. Not counting Canadian.

My two favorites I wish I could have back, or find, or re-create or whatever would be a purple Hawaiian and Purple Giant. Purple Giant was a Thai x Indica hybrid a guy worked on indoors in the Bay area for 12 years. Bred from Thai, probably Thai stick. It always hermied or at least nannered, was difficult to grow and didn't yield that well. Indoors it needed cool temperatures to flower properly, never turned out as good if flowered in the summer. But it was the best, psychedelically head crushingly stony. Made you cough your brains out. Largest resin glands of any strain you've seen. Something in my kitchen smells similar right now, I can't figure out what. The past couple days I've smelled that smell and it's made me nostalgic.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Ha he that's because I was bullshitting..

I was talking about your ideal as a smoker and a gardener. The strain you would most want to create or find to work with, what you would find most satisfying. Sure, this and that and the rest tastes good and is fun to grow, but not many people are growing strains that finish in January. I have no idea what your goal is because I'm too young to have smoked Thai sticks or any of the other import stuff. I've probably smoked imported cannabis less then 5, 10 times in my life. Not counting Canadian.

My two favorites I wish I could have back, or find, or re-create or whatever would be a purple Hawaiian and Purple Giant. Purple Giant was a Thai x Indica hybrid a guy worked on indoors in the Bay area for 12 years. Bred from Thai, probably Thai stick. It always hermied or at least nannered, was difficult to grow and didn't yield that well. Indoors it needed cool temperatures to flower properly, never turned out as good if flowered in the summer. But it was the best, psychedelically head crushingly stony. Made you cough your brains out. Largest resin glands of any strain you've seen. Something in my kitchen smells similar right now, I can't figure out what. The past couple days I've smelled that smell and it's made me nostalgic.
i dont like poking folks too much but had to highlight that part just so we are clear my experiences were real and yours were second or third hand ,
so i think you got bullshitted too , i was there and i know what was going on with thai sticks ... and no they did not have opium on them , it was just good weed rev , dont matter what your buddy said to you , u never even toked any , so i dont understand why you fought so hard in the other thread to prove something which you know little about and have no first hand experience with ...

sorry to raise a topic thats a bit off topic ,, but tripping weed was good weed and didnt need additives to enhance it ...

therevverend

Veteran
i dont like poking folks too much but had to highlight that part just so we are clear my experiences were real and yours were second or third hand ,
Bring up this shit hear and now? Isn't there a thread somewhere else for your lies and bullshit? I told you my story, I've seen pages and pages of yours. There's no reason to bring that up now, except that you're an asshole. Please leave me the fuck alone in the future, I'm not interested in arguing with you. Coming into this thread, off topic, to throw your insults at me and my family is incredibly disrespectful.

One other thing Donny. I've said this before but unstick your ears one last fucking time. I trust my friends and family 100%, I don't trust a 2nd or 3rd hand bullshitting internet liar like you. I told you this before but you didn't listen. Your word doesn't mean shit to me compared to the people I love. If you want to waste more time on this we can..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Bring up this shit hear and now? Isn't there a thread somewhere else for your lies and bullshit? I told you my story, I've seen pages and pages of yours. There's no reason to bring that up now, except that you're an asshole. Please leave me the fuck alone in the future, I'm not interested in arguing with you. Coming into this thread, off topic, to throw your insults at me and my family is incredibly disrespectful.

One other thing Donny. I've said this before but unstick your ears one last fucking time. I trust my friends and family 100%, I don't trust a 2nd or 3rd hand bullshitting internet liar like you. I told you this before but you didn't listen. Your word doesn't mean shit to me compared to the people I love. If you want to waste more time on this we can..
actually its on topic , mr grumpy cant stand being shown up and shown to be a bullshit artist ... haha ..

this thread is about tripping weed , many of us think thai was tripping weed , we didnt have any opium on it for that to happen as you tend to assume ,
also i didnt insult you , just pointed out that fact you have no experience and you tried to tell someone with first hand knowledge they were wrong ,, tut tut tut ,

be told young whipper snapper , hahaha .. and ease up on the language and attitude please ...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I found my book by Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter, "Thai Sticks". Some quotes about Thai Stick quality/potency, and other quotes of interest to me as a grower:

"... if you had real Thai sticks (reverently referred to as Budha Sticks), you named the price-consumers happily paid 10 times more than anyone had ever paid for marijuana before."

"Those who smuggled Thai sticks presold them, like fine wine to the counter-culture's cognoscenti."

"It never hit the streets-this stuff was sucked up by rock and roll, doctors, lawyers, entertainers, and Indian chiefs"

"...the Cuban cigar of the marijuana world"

They also write about the "Golden Voice" Laos weed. ".. the most sought-after pot in the world."

Despite the Indian language "ganja" use is prevalent in the area, the introduction of the tradition of marijuana growing to the area is impossible to determine. "...an educated guess suggests that China is as likely a source as India.

"they considered the Chinese ganja grown by the hill tribes along the Mekong River to be the most potent."

"Not all pot in Southeast Asia was as potent as the Thai or Laotian variety; the difference between Thai sticks and most Vietnamese and Cambodian pot was like the difference between homemade wine and single malt scotch."

Here they talk about the Laotian (Yao) growers being the best. "They plant at nearly the end of the rainy season." "This area (Nakhon Phanon) everyone have water, but the climate and the soil somehow make this area very good. The sun very good, very nice, and the night time very cold".

ThaiBliss

romanoweed

hmm, i have heard like 5 old Stoners telling from their Vietnamese smoke Experiences.

And never have i heard some one tell of such deep experiences like those.
(all tho some someone claimed they fought in Cambodian and not Vietnam? Anyway, some were soliders-reports, but some reports i recall beeing imported from viet)

Shure that is not any proove, i mean Sumatran was called tripping weed, still i never heard many SmokeReports, so it depends on many Factors what you hear.

So , multiple Reports, always pointed to Vietnam as a very strong Weed, and it so strongly interefears with this "Thaistick book" Authors Statement that Thai compared to Vietnamese was like Wine against single malt scotch .

What i got from those Somkereports was that vietnamese would make you trip heavily, one said it would spook him to the core, and it was infinitly potet, anothe said that its like a hourlong rollercoaster Ride, again others told that its very kind, anxietyfree in some cases PLUS uktimative strong, some said that you will hallucinate on it, or that that it will teach you how sacred life is...
Doesent sound like "single malt scotch" to me.

So, i DONT wanna claim how it was , i just wanna show some quotes, or roundabout what they said, and what i remember of Thai, i actually couldnt recall to many vivid smokereports, (i tdont wanna say anyhing with it). But so much i recall about Thai: it was strong, that was the consense, insanely strong, halluciongenic too.

But no smokereports fascinated and impressed me as deeply as the Vietnamese smoke reports.

romanoweed

atleast this copter pilot https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=47592
we know exactly where he fought.. he names even the very exact region where his Tripweed and lifechanging experience weed came from.. somwewhere from Dalat.
And as it sounds this was not one occasion that he talks about. he talks about the typically found weed at the higher elevations in vietnam (excluding the north).

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I swore I was meaning to shift the conversation a bit, to pull the recent posts out of a tailspin. I guess I'm not that good.

Thanks a lot Romano!

LOL. Just exaggerating.

hmm, i have heard like 5 old Stoners telling from their Vietnamese smoke Experiences.
5... really... 5. Wow.
And never have i heard some one tell of such deep experiences like those.
(all tho some someone claimed they fought in Cambodian and not Vietnam? Anyway, some were soliders-reports, but some reports i recall beeing imported from viet)

Shure that is not any proove, i mean Sumatran was called tripping weed, still i never heard many SmokeReports, so it depends on many Factors what you hear.
{
I've repeated my Sumatran smoke report about a dozen times on this very thread.
1.) I'm old enough to have had experience.
2.) I repeat myself often... because I'm old.

So , multiple Reports, always pointed to Vietnam as a very strong Weed, and it so strongly interefears with this "Thaistick book" Authors Statement that Thai compared to Vietnamese was like Wine against single malt scotch .
I think you missed a key word that you didn't quote. That word is *most*. As in MOST Vietnamese... So, no strongly interferes, not even interferes at all if you want to get technical.

What i got from those Somkereports was that vietnamese would make you trip heavily, one said it would spook him to the core, and it was infinitly potet, anothe said that its like a hourlong rollercoaster Ride, again others told that its very kind, anxietyfree in some cases PLUS uktimative strong, some said that you will hallucinate on it, or that that it will teach you how sacred life is...
Doesent sound like "single malt scotch" to me.
Hour long. Really. Pfft. You could argue Thai Stick only just reaches it's peak after an hour.
So, i DONT wanna claim how it was , i just wanna show some quotes, or roundabout what they said, and what i remember of Thai, i actually couldnt recall to many vivid smokereports, (i tdont wanna say anyhing with it). But so much i recall about Thai: it was strong, that was the consense, insanely strong, halluciongenic too.
Thai - "...I couldn't recall too many vivid smokereports..."
:wallbash:
But no smokereports fascinated and impressed me as deeply as the Vietnamese smoke reports.

Truth is, I don't recall smoking Vietnamese. I did smoke lots of weed people rave about that didn't profoundly impress me. Panama Red... I'd trade one Thai Stick for a pound of Panama Red if both were transported in time to my table top right now. Same with Colombian Gold. Same with Cambodian Red. And I liked all of those.
:biglaugh:

One pound of weed magically brought back from history instead of a single puny Thai Stick that I would prefer, mostly due to quantity and not having enough of in the past to fully assess.

Sumatran
Mexican Red Hair
Jamaican Ganja
Sampler pack of top 5 Colombians... That might be fun and interesting.
Lebanese Blonde Hash Meh... probably not.

ahhh.... umm... Jesus.. there are so few, it's hard to make a long list.

If it were 5 grams of any one of... it would be Thai Stick hands down, not even close. Because it IS the Cuban cigars of the marijuana world. LOL

I would trade it all for 5 fresh seeds of the Thai seeds I last had and grew successfully.

ThaiBliss

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Hi Thaibliss i have not read the book by Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter, "Thai Sticks" yet but they were on a podcast answering questions and talking a few months back.

What they said was they were one lot of smugglers and at the time there were many smugglers operating out of Asia.

If your interested in reading about Thai and the big players involved the Book Marijuana Australiana:Cannabis Use, Popular Culture, and the Americanisation of Drugs Policy in Australia, 1938 - 1988 - is worth a read.....https://eprints.qut.edu.au/15949/1/John_Jiggens_Thesis.pdf

The largest Drug syndicate was formed during the Nam war and was responsible for most of the Thai we all smoked back then..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting that Dr. Purpur would give all of his strains to get some Cambodian Red he had in '77 or so. I will say that as fact while not having validated it with him. hehe

I think Cambodian Red was mostly a good grade of pot and somewhat stony? His CR was transcendent trip weed. He had high grade Colombian, Mexican, etc. and I am sure Thai all at the same place and time. Peron's pot shop in San Francisco. He said the people at the shop agreed on the Cambodian being the best.

Great Thai seems to have been a more widely available option. Reports of super Sumatran, Cambodian, Indian etc. are hard to come by. So I think it is just that the Thai weed more consistently delivered the super potent and hopefully lysergic effects.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Thaibliss i have not read the book by Peter Maguire and Mike Ritter, "Thai Sticks" yet but they were on a podcast answering questions and talking a few months back.

What they said was they were one lot of smugglers and at the time there were many smugglers operating out of Asia.

If your interested in reading about Thai and the big players involved the Book Marijuana Australiana:Cannabis Use, Popular Culture, and the Americanisation of Drugs Policy in Australia, 1938 - 1988 - is worth a read.....https://eprints.qut.edu.au/15949/1/John_Jiggens_Thesis.pdf

The largest Drug syndicate was formed during the Nam war and was responsible for most of the Thai we all smoked back then..
Thanks Hempy. I do need to hear from people with experience about it, and get different perspectives. So, so sorry about the Americanisation of Aussie drug policy. Yikes!

I will say though, that my experience matches what Ritter and Maguire reported. I was one degree of separation from where I was receiving it. It was small time, nearly direct from the source, and for a long time span. It was probably from the same location from the same group of local small time farmers. Incredibly consistent from year to year over a decade. It was only when I moved to California that I got very different Thai Sticks. Two distinctly different products from two different people. All were excellent but with the distinctive electrifying trippy potent high.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
What we got i suspect matched what San Fransisco or any large port city were seeing we only saw Thai sticks and hash at a set times of the year and it was consist as was the quality.

I was getting a lot of it from the Bikers a mates uncle or from down by the wharf's were it came in from as a school friend had moved there.

But i was growing it also but still got Sticks just encase i came across seed and a new Thai line.

I never saw Green Thai like this

picture.php

What we saw look more like this dark with the classic dark earthy spicy smells.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php