What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The re-use of our soil

V

vonforne

Since you said that 3BM, I have a pic for you. i did just that....added some muchroom compost to some old soil with a little rock phosphate and some other additives. I have it in a container now....ready to use.

I will put my well rooted clones in this. They really take off.

J

JackTheGrower

Wow!

Wow!

First off it is so nice to be in a thread with like minded gardeners!

I made my soil from peat moss, guinea pig food pellets, bone meal, green sand, kelp, rice, wood shavings, lime sulfur and a few more things. I think I forgot something. It's been over 5 years ago.

Each year I add compost and things and heat up my soil. I compost in place as my "dirt box" is big.
The new one holds over 21 cubic feet.

Until I came to IC I thought I was alone in this Zany hard work of a way to grow.

I found this year that a product called Feline Pine cat litter is a nice micronized pine wood. Like chunky saw dust in a way. The pellets fall apart when moisture hits them.
I thought to share that for those who add wood shavings to their re-composting process.

I am impressed with this thread. Good job ppl.

V

vonforne

Another good place for hard wood by-products is a wood shop that makes furniture. They give that stuff up for free with a smile. They have to pay to have it hauled off.

Ganico

Veteran
If I had the landspace to do a large compost pile, I'd just buy a used wood chipper/mulcher and slap a small pine tree through a few times.

J

JackTheGrower

a bale of wood shavings is cheep.
Feed stores sell them as well as bulk rabbit or guinea pig food.

I also bought crushed oyster shell at the feed store.

J

JackTheGrower

vonforne said:
Another good place for hard wood by-products is a wood shop that makes furniture. They give that stuff up for free with a smile. They have to pay to have it hauled off.

I worry that it may not be pure wood ya know?

V

vonforne

JackTheGrower said:
I worry that it may not be pure wood ya know?

I go to fine funiture makers where I live. Just tell them you only want the wood with no glue additives in them. Solid wood shavings ect. Hell they told my to go to the drill press and load up. I check it all out. I do not want glue and other things in the wood also. It has been all hard wood so far. And good quality hard wood too.

3BM

I love you guys! Build soil from the ground up, compost endlessly, and search locally for additives. I applaud your ingenuity, keep up the good work.

3BM

V

vonforne

Thats how we all learn and improve our gardens. Not just in the closet but the outside garden of veggies as well. And we all know we are a select group of people. No government studies to go by at least not that they will tell us.

Now back to our subject. I have been having very good luck with my recycled soil. So much it took me by suprise at the rate of growth that I have been getting. I'm currently recycling some FF Ocean forest. it had admendments added. I have added compost and other things. But my main point is that the over all results are much better than "out of the bag". I guess the main reason being is that I have been slowly adding composts of various kinds. Mushroom, a little Cow (versitile bacteria), and a touch of kitchen compost. At this point I have very little to work with until I get the larger pile finished. I'm also starting to make my own worm castings and I would like to experiment with the different types. I mean, I would like to taylor to each growth stage with the castings. like the guanos are. One for veg., fed with products high in N, and a flower version, fed with products high in P and K. i'm going to give it a try but have not figured out how to measure the content of the nutrients in the finished product.

Have any ideas guys? And what do you think of that idea?

J

JackTheGrower

Well one could add things everytime but how much?

I remeber a study on the demands of marijuana on soil.

If my memory is correct there are no special demands but we know providing extra like extra N is good.

Maybe a balanced amount of amendmants each cycle and then we feed during a grow?

I'm wondering about a correct amount too.

There are soil services that will test soil. The last time I used one it cost me about $70

Maybe testing one's soil is a way to get on track for what and how much?

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's excellent v...... you might need more than one ewc factory going at once, ie, one for veg and another for bloom. You'll probably find it easier that way.
What JackTheGrower said about testing soil samples is definitly the go. It'll cost an arm and a leg but if you want to do it properly.......

Last edited:
V

vonforne

Thats the part IMO that take trial and error. My OF was pretty depleted. I showed N def, mg def and ca def by the end. That gave me an idea as to what to add. I use compost for texture and the bacterial count. EWC is the main compost besides mushroom that I rely on right now. I'm working on a wood fiber mix to off set the peat based mixes I have been using. If you get the right balance in your soil then the amounts will equal them selves out. Its organics. And we all know our plants talk to us. All we have to do is listen. I just dont want to overload. Thats bad. A def. I can admend or use a tea to correct. then the next time add more of say N, or P or K. Depending on what my last cycle told me.
I know this will be an ongoing thing for me for some time.

V

vonforne

Smurf said:
That's excellent v...... you might need more than one ewc factory going at once, ie, one for veg and another for bloom. You'll probably find it easier that way.

Thanks Smurf.

Yes, I'm going to construct two boxes. One veg and one bloom and feed accordingly.

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get in touch with a cafe that does a lot of breakfast meals..... I've been scoring so much egg shells and coffee grounds its got my reds doing cartwheels!

Feeding the soil instead of the plant is slowly catching on. Eventually you'll need minimal ferts during the various growth stages. Something I've been working on for a while now. Plus, it's good fun!
Haven't got it sussed out 100%, but it's happening though!

Last edited:
V

vonforne

ya thats something I learned from Suby when I first came here. If you look at his set up he only feeds once in veg and once in flower.

And since my ex-wife is from Germany we have lots of coffee grounds. HaHa. the idea of a resturant is a good one. Thanks again Smurf.

Last edited: