What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The re-use of our soil

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you used rice hulls before? I picked up a big bag from groworganic, I was going to use that in place of perlite (same amount).

rice hulls are good, and cheap. i wouldnt be set on a specific ratio or %. start with a little and add more until your liking the results. too much rice hulls makes the mix dry out fast.

HerbMan26

I have some sunshine #4 mix that i'm planning to reuse. Can i reuse it right away after i recondition it with some bone meal,blood meal,ewc,plant success mycorrhizal granular and dolomite lime?? Or do i have to let it sit for a few weeks??

grapeman

Veteran
How much time do you all spend cleaning old roots form your used soil prior to re-use?

I just planted a batch with a bit of extra EWC and a bit of DL without a thorough cleaning or letting the soil ripen for a time (a month or so) in a bin in the garage. Lazy and tired, but I thought I'd see how it goes. I left quite a bit of hair roots in the soil.

S

schwagg

i usually just cut the stump out and leave the rest. they're gone by the time i recycle again.

ijim

All soil that you dump out of that pretty bag you buy has been recycled thousands of times over thousands of years. Vegetation comes from the soil and the soil comes from vegetation. I have only been growing indoors for a few years as a hobby. But Ive been digging holes for forty five and have farmed corn, alfalfa and sorghum. I keep sufficient soil for two years of growing in a three bins. Throw anything organic I have in the bins on a rotational schedule. I do two rounds a year indoors. When I am done with one round the old goes into bin one and new soil comes from bin three. I don't have to add any nutrients to the soil. But I do sometimes just for my own education and what ifs. There are still plenty of useful nutrients and biological's in soil when you harvest. As for peat or coco thats a different story.

dodo5678

stumps, roots, leaf, stems... I throw them all back in the resting bin for compost. i have 2 batches of soil that i alternate through. even if everything does not compost i still add it to my planter at the next grow cycle. i figure it provides better aeration and gives the critters something to chew on.

-dodo :joint:

last year i had a couple bails of promix that i cut in half 2 plants per bail and the plants in the bails got eatn when they were just babies and i never replanted with other plants and the bails sat out there all winter and i was looking at them the other day wondering if the dirt was still useable,i was thinkn about mixing some new dirt with the old but wasnt sure if that was a good idea or not,i was thinkn maybe because the plants that were in there never developed much for roots but idk if its a good isea or not ???
WHAT DO YOU THINK YES OR NO ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA??

enter sandman

I've been using the same nursery bought soil for 3 years now. I usually will break down and get new soil when the old soil starts to get too fine/dusty. I only add lime after every 4 harvests, nothing else.

Scrappy4

Veteran
last year i had a couple bails of promix that i cut in half 2 plants per bail and the plants in the bails got eatn when they were just babies and i never replanted with other plants and the bails sat out there all winter and i was looking at them the other day wondering if the dirt was still useable,i was thinkn about mixing some new dirt with the old but wasnt sure if that was a good idea or not,i was thinkn maybe because the plants that were in there never developed much for roots but idk if its a good isea or not ???
WHAT DO YOU THINK YES OR NO ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA??

I think it's a good idea. Back in the day I replanted into the same holes year after year (gorilla). I took out an empty garbage bag To work on, re dug the hole, amended the soil, filled the hole, All in the fall after harvest, then come spring I just put the plant in the same hole. It worked out well, the plants looked better each year...".scrappy

White Beard

Hey, all - found this thread while ploughing through the Organics for Beginners thread.
Sign me up, I’m on board already....
:wave:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Huh...there it is folks, 13 years and the same questions arise. Living soil and recycled soil pre Coot; pre-me,
The three little birds spread the glory and gave the know how wayback. Kudos to you 3LBs
Jaykush, the fermented nutrient master. Hey old friend if you are reading.
Mr Fista who went into big time microbiology. Terran, still with us.
Vonforne, where the heck are you?

h.h.

Veteran
Still not a microbiologist...
Doing my experimentations with coconut. Malt wasn't available.
Who knew a few years later they'd be selling the stuff as magic soil amendment.
Whatever.
Same guestions.
Others repeating trials that have already been done.
Just like I did.

Fresh minds find fresh answers.
Hats off to 3LBS and the old Overgrow community.
Hats off to those carrying it forward today.

Pot Smoke.
"I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we've passed the audition."