What's new

The RDWC project.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Check out this thread:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259

Hatefully long.

Find RichyRiche's first post... and only follow his posts there on out to speed up the process.

Here's his conclusion from his sig:

"Use Physan20 at 1mL per 10 gallons to sterilize and clean.
Apply EWC Tea at 2-3 cups per 10 gallons.
Tea made with Ancient Forest by GH is really good.
Add Great White, Root Excelurator and Hydroguard to your tea brew for a micro-herd army and say bye-bye slime. Add tea to rez every 3 days and fridge your tea for 10 days max.If it ever smells rank, toss it."

Lost two rDWCs before I took the time to read it. Physan20 seems to work for everyone. Very cheap product with very low application rates.

Looks like it's time to harvest.

Hope your clones are good.

Sterilize everything with physan20 before running your next cycle.

Consider hiding from carbo loads unless you have a dominant benificial bio herd in place (that's the inocculating with Earth Worm Casting Tea part).

Good luck.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
WTF!!! I've seen pictures of it but never knew anyone with it.. Fuck man but at least you only had a week left. It is definitely root rot bro.. Damn do those additives smell funny in any way, Have you ever used them before? Everything has to be bleached for sure.

What are you going to use for your next grow? I was wondering if you might want to try just regular GH Micro and Bloom.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
that's the dreaded root rot, bleach @ 1ml/10 Gallons of water will keep that at bay. The Bud candy probably caused it.

Yea it has to be root rot and it has to be the bud candy. The water temps in my system never go above 70 and I used cha-ching for two weeks before the bud candy.

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
Wow man,that sux balls,uhm iv never had that problem with bud candy. Iv been using it for over 10 months now and love it,I also use aquashield tho too,so IDK man. I also use nirvana and B-52 too which are also nasty gunky smelly shit and no problems? How much bud candy did you add?? And could it just be it didn't like the cha-ching?

Man that sux ass dude. Worries me now that you blame the bud candy,that shit on the pupm flter looks nasty as a mother fucker!!

Hope your next run goes better!!!

greenwithenvy

Veteran
yea me to. Its crazy that it happened in the 2nd to last week. Nothing before that. I wont give up on the bud candy just yet. I dont know what else to blame it on.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
last night was the last of light for them. I will let them set in darkness for the last two days. Friday myself and weird jimmy will be trimming.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
It is more specifically the sugars. The microorganisms eat sugar as a food source. So you are either feeding Beneficial Bacteria (aerobic bact) or bad bacteria (anerobic bact).

Physan 20 was the solution for peoples Brown Algae ( as opposed to green algae, which is photosynthetic).

Root rot is most easily determined by smell, usually that of a stagnant pond or something worse. Also, drooping leaves are a tell tale sign...ones that shouldn't be drooping for any other reason. Would look like overwatering in a soil or r/w medium.

If your plants still have time to go: just clean the shit out of the res.
Fuck the bud candy. (I use sugars, but you must be free of Pythium [anerobic bact])
Rinse the roots clean.
Cut off all brown roots (GH Micro can stain roots brown) and discard so all that is left are pearly white roots.
Rinse again.
Run H2O2 and water and nutes till flush.
Then H2O2 and water in the flush.

Root Rot and Brown Algae are two seperate things.
Root rot is a symptom of lack of oxygen or beneficial bacteria or both (on going debate).
Brown algae is a symptom of the water supply and thus people use different methods to kill it (uv lighting, Physan 20, boiling water, ect.).

I would definately clean like a Nazi after this round. Then I would reevaluate the oxygenation/circulation of your system to make sure it is sufficient. If temps have never been too high, then you could rule that out.

If you are able to same some of the slime you could call the local University and see if they could help you identify the organisms in it, just to make sure it is not Brown Algae.

But that slime looks like sugars. I find that less is more with sugars.

Rednick

Veteran
I would try to get the last two weeks out of them, that is when they really flush (flesh) out. And the trichs start to pop and color.

Neo 420

Veteran
@ the 8th annual Hydro expo I had a nice long talk with the undercurrent people and they pretty much summed up what you can put in these rdwc units. Very little. Stay away from sugars, carbo's, enzymes or anything "alive". It basically confirmed what I came up with. STERILE REZ.

Rednick

Veteran
That is basically the idea of (r)DWC.

You are applying salt ferts (the most broken down components of the nutes)
You are constantly applying nutrient solution and air.
I know plenty of people that only use the basic nutes and H202.

Start adding in sugars and bact and fungus and you have to be on top of that shit 100%. Because you are also creating a perfect environment for the BAD microorganisms.
But there is really no need to.
The plant is already getting everything it needs with salt ferts and oxygen.

Sterile res is the safest way with (r)DWC.

Again I would revaluate your ciruclation/oxygenation if you decide to continue throwing in that shit. BigTokes system was a combination of beneficial bacteria AND oxygenation so that he didn't have those problems, but I don't know if he added sugars or not.

Anytime you add sugar, you are adding one hell of a food source for microorganisms, good and bad.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
I was up till 3am last night trimming and it was making me sick to my stomach having to smell the metallic skunk aroma for so long. I had to stop for the night and finish the last one in the morning.

Greenmopho

That is basically the idea of (r)DWC.

You are applying salt ferts (the most broken down components of the nutes)
You are constantly applying nutrient solution and air.
I know plenty of people that only use the basic nutes and H202.

Start adding in sugars and bact and fungus and you have to be on top of that shit 100%. Because you are also creating a perfect environment for the BAD microorganisms.
But there is really no need to.
The plant is already getting everything it needs with salt ferts and oxygen.

Sterile res is the safest way with (r)DWC.

Again I would revaluate your ciruclation/oxygenation if you decide to continue throwing in that shit. BigTokes system was a combination of beneficial bacteria AND oxygenation so that he didn't have those problems, but I don't know if he added sugars or not.

Anytime you add sugar, you are adding one hell of a food source for microorganisms, good and bad.

I wouldn't add sugar or molasses in RDWC. Any those Nectar or Sweet products are a rip off and contain mostly epsom salts. Hygrozyme works well with beneficials in RDWC. The enzymes break down dead or rotting organic material into usable carbohydrates, so you won't have to add in any sugars. As this process take time, you are slowly feeding your living culture. I run RDWC and I personally DON'T like running it sterile, you just have to be very careful with WHICH beneficials work well in that particular system. So far I've had great luck with H&G Root Excellorator, Botanicare Aquashield, and GH Subculture M and B (only use the M when transplanting). Also, a good source of beneficials in DWC can be found in compost teas such as Botanicare Pure Blend or GH FloraBlend. I wouldn't recommend bubbling your own compost teas unless you REALLY know what you are doing, not to mention most people add sugar and/or molasses to their teas....

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
I was up till 3am last night trimming and it was making me sick to my stomach having to smell the metallic skunk aroma for so long. I had to stop for the night and finish the last one in the morning.

:laughing: yeah i know what you mean man,when i harvested a 8+ oz trainwreck it was gettin sooo stinky and pungent it starting smelling like a real raw fuely smell started to make me gag.

right on tho man cant wait to see your next project in action.

Rednick

Veteran
Having good beer around is half the battle when trimming.

Gotta love an IPA.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
BHO Fun

BHO Fun

I Made a BHO extractor. It is a 3 D battery flashlight maglite. I drilled a hole in the end that unscrews. Ive wrapped yellow duct tape around it alot so i can hold it. It still gets very cold. Ill be doing it again, I ran out of butane. One of the reasons I used this was because the inside of this looked so clean it looked like a gun barrel. I put it in this thread because its the clippings from the Ice and Kwazulu.

Latest posts

Latest posts