What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The problem with BBQin

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Fruit tree wood is hard like nut woods. I burned a bunch of wood from my pomegranate tree last year--and it had a nice sweet smoke flavor. This year when I trim that sucker, instead of burning the wood in my fireplace...thinking of using it for smoking. Smoke from sweet apple wood and pork...as in a fresh (not frozen) tenderloin is the best. Wonder if pomegranate wood is sweeter.

I bet it will be better than salmon on a cedar plank...and that's damn good!

BTW...my Weber died about 5 years after buying it. Oh well, must have been manufactured on a Friday or Monday.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Well yesterday I just oredered a Masterbuilt electric smoker to try out cause of you guys on here! :biglaugh: Any of you smoking veterans got any tips?

Betterhaff

Veteran
Produced by a Weber and lump. 3 different rubs.

Attachments

• Keep on Truckin'.jpg
    Keep on Truckin'.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6

G.O. Joe

Veteran
only souse vie and searing.

https://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/sous_vide_and_the_grill.html

Had to look it up. New to me.

I'll only buy the vacuum pack ribeyes when they're on sale for $7-8. This is choice meat so that's only a few times a year, while lamer, much more popular grocery stores charge the same for their select if any grade patio, charcoal, flatiron, and sizzle steak. Tying corn prices to fuel prices really drove up beef a few years ago, but then when fuel and corn and steer prices went down, retailers still have not lowered their prices in general, and now beef is much more of a profit center now, it's disgusting and I refuse to participate.

So my protein is mostly pork butt less than $2. The secret to BBQ is doing no harm then lightly smothering the meat in the right sauce.

But expensive steak houses fry in pans and use tons of butter to bast it in

Oven baked steak is not uncommon. Whatever the local Italian steakhouses have done for over the past 50 years, they've nailed it.

Kingsford on sale at Lowe's or Home Depot around holidays: 2, 18 lb bags for only $10. Man that's a deal from a decade ago. check it out.

Walmart does the same half price thing at the same time, like a penny less per pound with their different size bag. And they'll let you buy the whole pallet instead of just 4 bags. My insurance probably wouldn't pay if there was ever a fire in my garage.

There's this dude in my town that restores them old Webber Grills to their former glory. An impressive collection he has. Those things are made to last!

Sounds like a good gig let me try. A wipedown and the lid at least looks new. This 14" kettle was my mother's and it left home with me in the 80's. Used a couple hundred of times camping out from the Mississippi to the Pacific way back when.

picture.php

Dog Star

Veteran
G.O. Joe can you smoke meat in that barbecue??

Am interested in smoker but they are pricy... can those barbecue be transformed
to smoker?

Kind regards

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The lid is too small on this size for any tall piece of meat not even a small pork butt. What is required for a charcoal-powered smoker is excellent control of air and no leaks. The temperature is kept low by allowing only enough air to keep the coals from going out entirely. This cheap little size Weber is good for most uses. My old model has 3 vents on the bottom it's very controllable. The coals and some wood chips can be on one side only, so controlled mild indirect heat is not impossible. There are smoker mods for sale for the larger size kettles. This is why I suggested instead just buying and modifying a drum locally for an ugly drum smoker (UDS). Add metal bars, some bricks, something to make holes in the side of the drum with, a cheap metal bowl, some experimentation with the fuel/air, and it will be fit for purpose.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
Thanx man on explanation and answer,

eated some fish that is very simmilar to American Walley,catched fresh and then
cleaned from scales and guts and smoked on some small smoker..,that was
really a event for mine taste palates..

i cant forget that meal as was so nice and i have idea now to made some smoker
or to buy one,but a prices in shop are 400-500 euros for Weber so i think i
will made one DIY cause it doesnt look too complicate..

Regards Joe

Ganjaganjakush

Made these last week smoked 6 hours at 250 mesquite wood, using grill one side coals/wood opposite side a pan of water I put the meat over the water. Don t forget to take that back skin off if ur smoking ribs!
picture.php

shithawk420

Veteran
Looks good.I keep hearing different theories on wether to take the membrane off or not.logically I think it should be taken off but it's such a pain in the ass for me.I don't know why.I've also seen people just score it with a knife.what do you guys think?

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks ganja.that's what I like to know.I don't have a butcher so I get cheap cuts at walmart.it's hard as hell to get the membrane off.I know how to do it but damn it can be a pain in the ass

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Looks good.I keep hearing different theories on wether to take the membrane off or not.logically I think it should be taken off but it's such a pain in the ass for me.I don't know why.I've also seen people just score it with a knife.what do you guys think?

Get a butter knife under a corner and separate something to hold on to and it will peel off easy, usually in one piece.

packerfan79

Veteran
What cut of ribs are you guys smoking? Babybacks are great. I usually stick with the spare ribs, more meat and more fat to flavor the porky goodness