What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Past, the Present, and the Future of Cannabis Breeding

clearheaded

crusty, yes ur correct. but remember there is differences in markets. do people only want to eat very best artisan bread.. yes of course. but also huge market for blimbo wonderbread. mc'd's vs michelin, organic v non organic. so thats not really a valid point. commodity vs artisan. but its the trying to pass off shwag as quads price thats teh issue. but if can get 3-4 bucks a gram of mass produced vs 8-11 dollar grams for uber quality. but developing varietys that are super resistant will allow quality to go up en masse production for that teir. but agree alot of them dont get it and in canada at least the goal was dollars per gram/amount of production per quarter for shareholders. never talk about 2% terps and 25% THC and only other rel metric is THC %, which most people agree is meaningless as can extract biomass for thc or even hemp to delta8 cheap cheap. and had some 29.6%thc jack from tilray for prob 14 bucks a gram or something stupid in medical market and bedrocan jack for 5 bucks mids at best but WAAAY better and got way more of an effect off of the cheap 19-21% or whatever it was.

eventually will work it out a couple companies figured parts of it out that grow biomass for extracts and absolutely kill it and no complaints on oils or flavored pens and shit..

clearheaded

Depends where you live. Not a legal market here by any stretch, not unless you're married to someone in the home office

so ya, of course legal corps are not going to sell illegally thats forsure.. def no illegal operation are doing major dolar RandD

stashpot

Owl Geoffrey Guy aka Mr.pot. aka big pharma here from the UK knows a lot about cannabis especially Sams patented SK1 he bought from him.. he recently just sold his 5.8 billion shared company (shared with a lord mayor of England i might add) from his company GW pharma while other people from the UK sit in prison for the same plant.. he earned 67 million..did you know him and sam both agreed with the English government (back in i cant remember what year but was late 90s or early 2000's) to not legalize cannabis. Gotta try the products they have first otherwise they have no businesses left! "per sam's interview i read". his quotes " We where the only ones in the room that day that agreed with the English government to not just legalize cannabis, everybody else wanted it tomorrow".
Guy also has cannabis convictions of intent to supply, imagine that haha. A license above all?.
Sam knows him. G isn't it sam? or maybe there was another G who went from the haze to the skunk #1 around 98 too.
RosenthaL knows him or is that a young sam.
Anyway there is the future of cannabis people like guy who have no love for cannabis or helping the sick, just money. Peace.

guy.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	guy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	17792035

Last edited by a moderator:

troutman

Seed Whore
Sams patented SK1 he bought from him.

Skunk #1 patent? Must be a scam. It was publicly available in the mid 80's. It's not new. Patents are supposed to be about new stuff.
Unless somebody at the patent office is stupid or got bribed. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not enforceable even if it exists.

P.S. Not sure why people edit posts?

CaptainDankness

Skunk #1 patent? Must be a scam. It was publicly available in the mid 80's. It's not new. Patents are supposed to be about new stuff.
Unless somebody at the patent office is stupid or got bribed. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not enforceable even if it exists.

They do have patents on plants, but it's pretty useless cause by the sounds of it we can S1 the patented plants if we wanted except maybe Phylos's auto fem CBD plant. The utility patents are going to be the problem. But as long as they keep the price high the black market will never die!! :headbange

. Plant patents provide much narrower protection than utility patents. A utility patent gives its owner the right to prevent anyone in the US from making, using, selling, offering to sell, or importing the claimed invention. A plant patent gives its owner similar rights, but only for clones of the patented plant. In other words, a plant patent does not cover plants grown from seeds of the patented mother plant.

stashpot

he went to holland to work his sk1 into a 1 compound 98%+ strain.Either Thc or CBD, guy went to Holland and sourced it from Sam this is from an interview i read from sam not my facts just what i read from the interview.. patented maybe not his one, but you can bet Geoffrey guy's PW pharma's one is, which is probably still Sams who knows.. in order to be legal and to sell it you would also need rights to it.

Also patents have nothing got to do with new stuff they are mainly for rights by ownership to protect an idea or product from being ripped off or while the owner waits until he can receive funding or backing..they can sit for decades.

for example the woman who invented the spinner thing the kids had a few years back made billions, her idea sat for years with no interest, her patent expired and she couldn't afford to renew it.
2 weeks later a company brings out the spinner the rest is history.

so its a pay to protect contract in my opinion.

stashpot

They do have patents on plants, but it's pretty useless cause by the sounds of it we can S1 the patented plants if we wanted except maybe Phylos's auto fem CBD plant. The utility patents are going to be the problem. But as long as they keep the price high the black market will never die!! :headbange

the difference between those plants and this one they use is its genetically changed by only using 1 compound instead of most of them.
So its either THC-V or CBD.

troutman

Seed Whore
Fuck you can't even delete pics in posts. fuck fuck fuck

Whomever programmed this site sure must be smart.

I wanted to post something else. But the website is messed up.

Attachments

• photo1790313.jpg
    photo1790313.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 19

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
he went to holland to work his sk1 into a 1 compound 98%+ strain.Either Thc or CBD, guy went to Holland and sourced it from Sam this is from an interview i read from sam not my facts just what i read from the interview.. patented maybe not his one, but you can bet Geoffrey guy's PW pharma's one is, which is probably still Sams who knows.. in order to be legal and to sell it you would also need rights to it.

Also patents have nothing got to do with new stuff they are mainly for rights by ownership to protect an idea or product from being ripped off or while the owner waits until he can receive funding or backing..they can sit for decades.

for example the woman who invented the spinner thing the kids had a few years back made billions, her idea sat for years with no interest, her patent expired and she couldn't afford to renew it.
2 weeks later a company brings out the spinner the rest is history.

so its a pay to protect contract in my opinion.

Hortafarm is owned by Sam and Rob they have the plants that GW grew under license to produce Sativex and conduct there research ownership of the genetics remains with Hortafarm.

Hortafar developed 2 plants that are used to create Sativex one is i think 97% THC the 2nd is 97% CBD.
The Guardians did a story and intervue with Sam on this i think it was around 1996.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Hortafarm is owned by Sam and Rob they have the plants that GW grew under license to produce Sativex and conduct there research ownership of the genetics remains with Hortafarm.

Hortafar developed 2 plants that are used to create Sativex one is i think 97% THC the 2nd is 97% CBD.
The Guardians did a story and intervue with Sam on this i think it was around 1996.

Wtf 97% thc plant what is this growing BHO out of soil I think that this info is so fake ?

Where did you find this Hempy I want to read more of this.

CaptainDankness

Wtf 97% thc plant what is this growing BHO out of soil I think that this info is so fake ?

Where did you find this Hempy I want to read more of this.

Either he meant the oil comes off the plants at about 97% thc or Sam is a God or at least made contact with aliens. :abduct:

I am a Ganja God but you are correct not 97% of the plant weight, it is 97%+ of the Cannabinoids found in the plant.
SamS

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
What led you to launch Hortapharm?

Our original business plan was to breed pharmaceutical-grade cannabis and use it to produce a cheaper, generic version of Marinol. [Marinol is a synthetic-THC tablet for treating nausea induced by cancer chemotherapy.] We knew we could produce pure THC from the plant, which is superior to a synthetic. I’m convinced that the synergistic effects of the full plant, which in its natural form produces 400 compounds, is far more medically beneficial that any single synthetic component.

We were going to knock our price down at least a third or more from Marinol’s price tag. We thought that within a year or two, we could grab 66% of Marinol’s $20-million market, which was enough to support our small company. But money wasn’t the reason we did this. We were really interested in bringing cannabis back into mainstream medicine.

Okay, so you got the seeds you wanted. How did you then grow plants that were genetically consistent — a prerequisite for producing medicine?

Cannabis is normally a heterozygote, which means it has two sets of chromosomes — one from the mother and one from the father, and they vary. Through a proprietary technique we developed called selfing, we became the world’s first breeders to develop homozygote cannabis, in which both sets of chromosomes are identical. We then mass produced plants with just the one cannabinoid profile we wanted. We grew plants that were 98% THC, or 98% CBD. And that’s what Geoffrey Guy [founder of GW Pharmaceuticals] was looking for. He wanted different cannabinoids — THC, CBD, CBC, CBG — which he could then blend in different ratios and explore them for their medical efficacy. We were the only ones in the world who had what Geoffrey badly needed.

YOU GUYS SHOULD RESEARCH MORE .............

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
What led you to launch Hortapharm?

Our original business plan was to breed pharmaceutical-grade cannabis and use it to produce a cheaper, generic version of Marinol. [Marinol is a synthetic-THC tablet for treating nausea induced by cancer chemotherapy.] We knew we could produce pure THC from the plant, which is superior to a synthetic. I’m convinced that the synergistic effects of the full plant, which in its natural form produces 400 compounds, is far more medically beneficial that any single synthetic component.

We were going to knock our price down at least a third or more from Marinol’s price tag. We thought that within a year or two, we could grab 66% of Marinol’s $20-million market, which was enough to support our small company. But money wasn’t the reason we did this. We were really interested in bringing cannabis back into mainstream medicine.

Okay, so you got the seeds you wanted. How did you then grow plants that were genetically consistent — a prerequisite for producing medicine?

Cannabis is normally a heterozygote, which means it has two sets of chromosomes — one from the mother and one from the father, and they vary. Through a proprietary technique we developed called selfing, we became the world’s first breeders to develop homozygote cannabis, in which both sets of chromosomes are identical. We then mass produced plants with just the one cannabinoid profile we wanted. We grew plants that were 98% THC, or 98% CBD. And that’s what Geoffrey Guy [founder of GW Pharmaceuticals] was looking for. He wanted different cannabinoids — THC, CBD, CBC, CBG — which he could then blend in different ratios and explore them for their medical efficacy. We were the only ones in the world who had what Geoffrey badly needed.

YOU GUYS SHOULD RESEARCH MORE .............

98% of the total cannabinoids, but shall look it up where I read it.

stashpot

98% of the total cannabinoids, but shall look it up where I read it.

Cannabinoids would imply lots of different compounds. The point of the product is its only 1 cannabinoid compound Either THC-V or CBD-A dominant.
Enzymes within turn CBGA into either THC-A or CBD-A. You see that's why the medical market only offers these 2 and they are normally, example: 20% THCa to 0:03 CBDa or CBGa
or 20% CBDa to 0:02 THCa.

Delta-9 is the recreational standards of what medical cannabis should be.
Delta-9 THC-A is 1 compound which is 1 cannabinoid.

Feel free to correct me.

chemD.png

okkkkkkk.png

stashpot

in the end cannabis is types of acids and carbons and funguses and so are mushrooms & psychedelics etc seems to me they're all connected in one way or another and came from the universe to earth before humans or maybe other means. They all effect the chemical processes in the brain in a similar way.
Either are fully understood and both are Mother natures.

To me i get the same effect from smoking trippy sativa/hazes as i do the first 20 or so minutes of the mushrooms taking effect, of course once the mushrooms set in its a different world but those first 20 mins, sweaty, trippy, racey, trancey effects from good sativas are damn near similar, for me anyway.

I also find it ironic and funny that the Cannabinoid glands resemble a mushroom only micro version.
See what i mean ha
Click image for larger version  Name:	burma_detail_1_1.png Views:	0 Size:	342.5 KB ID:	17798020

Click image for larger version  Name:	burma_detail_1_1.png Views:	0 Size:	342.5 KB ID:	17798020

Last edited:

stashpot

Crispr. This is how they steal plants seeds strains whatever you want to call them. in the end its actually the genes they're stealing away from the plant and not from the people themselves.
Its not about stealing a polystrain or somebodys elite clone.. its about the genes and compounds in these plants.
There is a reason why medical & recreational market is only geared towards cultivars with THC-A and CBD-A
The rest of the compounds don't exist in these markets okay there-fore breeders and cannabis community do the same thing they use the plants with the THC-a and CBDa so what we are left with is cannabis that lacks the compounds it previously held insides its genes, in turn making all our cannabis, bland, similar and generic 1 trick ponies.

Of course there are also people still using regular genetics which more compounds and monoterps but in the end the 1 trick ponies will rule over time just like the hybird ruled over the landrace before it.
I'd like to hear anybody's thoughts including sams and can you confirm Crispr as your source of Gene editing for the market. (note point 4 also which is worrying no? have you ever successfully introduced a compound or new genetic material to the DNA of a strain?).

FYI I have never used GMO or Crispr I can use classical breeding to meet my goals so far, so no need. I plan to use classical breeding if I do any future breeding.-SamS
Click image for larger version  Name:	gene-editing-022321-edit-min.png Views:	0 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	17798027

stashpot

Crispr. This is how they steal plants seeds strains whatever you want to call them. in the end its actually the genes they're stealing away from the plant and not from the people themselves.
Its not about stealing a polystrain or somebodys elite clone.. its about the genes and compounds in these plants.
There is a reason why medical & recreational market is only geared towards cultivars with THC-A and CBD-A
The rest of the compounds don't exist in these markets okay there-fore breeders and cannabis community do the same thing they use the plants with the THC-a and CBDa so what we are left with is cannabis that lacks the compounds it previously held insides its genes, in turn making all our cannabis, bland, similar and generic 1 trick ponies.

Of course there are also people still using regular genetics which more compounds and monoterps but in the end the 1 trick ponies will rule over time just like the hybird ruled over the landrace before it.
I'd like to hear anybody's thoughts including sams and can you confirm Crispr as your source of Gene editing for the market. (note point 4 also which is worrying no? have you ever successfully introduced a compound or new genetic material to the DNA of a strain?).

FYI I have never used GMO or Crispr I can use classical breeding to meet my goals so far, so no need. I plan to use classical breeding if I do any future breeding.-SamS

Okay i see... how did you have success in breeding the strain guy badly needed was it searched out in populations and came back in tests or?

I traveled the world and I searched out unique varieties from centers of Traditional Cannabis production and compiled maybe the best Cannabis seed collection in the world, I grew them out and using my in-house analytical lab determined which minor Cannabinoids some contained in small %'s I bred them for years to increase a single minor Cannabinoid and developed varieties for each minor Cannabinoid where the finished varieties had only one minor Cannabinoid in very high amounts, this work took a decade and cost millions. -SamS

Also how you do feel about what i mentioned with the compounds geared towards medical and rec?

I think you are maybe blind? -SamS

Also are you worried about the people who use these things and the future of cannabis cultivation: genetic editing or are these people just random hippies?

I try not to worry Cannabis is much more resilient than you believe. -SamS

stashpot

Sam if you get a clone from a dispensary which is legal wouldn't any clone that passes into those legal shops have to be mainly delta9 THC-A and or CBD-A and maybe some trace compounds would that be correct in saying that?

In the Past yes, before 2008 it was only THCA. Already you can find THCVA, CBGA, and other minor Cannabinoids, in the near future you will find all minor Cannabinoids.
If you do not like what is available, instead of just complaining breed what you think is important and sell or give it away.
-SamS

stashpot

Its sort of funny to me that the medical cannabis business (geared towards people's health) would exclude all but 2 or 3 compounds out of 100s.

Doesn't anybody find that Crazy. We all know they work better together and have more anti- properties and overall would be better for curing people's problems.

Of course Im not bashing THC-A or CBD-A or single cultivars but why limit ourselves? why not have all wide spectrums of choices? Anyway Im sure there is a very good reason.