What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Past, the Present, and the Future of Cannabis Breeding

Cvh

Supermod
stashpot , because the medical world demands for single cannabinoid strains. The strains Sam and co delivered to the medical world was just that. Supply and demand.

I agree with you that wide spectrum would be better, but the medical world thinks differently and requests then also differently.

stashpot

stashpot , because the medical world demands for single cannabinoid strains. The strains Sam and co delivered to the medical world was just that. Supply and demand.
I agree with you that wide spectrum would be better, but the medical world thinks differently and requests then also differently.

Supply and demand does not exist for THC-A it exists for cannabis as a whole it's the medical world (big pharma) that introduced the theory that those 2 are only needed for medical and rec.. before that cannabis existed as a whole range of compounds just like it always had.
yeah we can both agree but who are the medical world? because last time i checked they are big pharma the same people that have been killing people for profit for years.

In my opinion the rest of the compounds are missing because they actually help people get better, and not just get you addicted to the 1 compound in high %'s so you keep coming back for more.

That my friend is supply and demand.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Supply and demand does not exist for THC-A it exists for cannabis as a whole it's the medical world (big pharma) that introduced the theory that those 2 are only needed for medical and rec.. before that cannabis existed as a whole range of compounds just like it always had.
yeah we can both agree but who are the medical world? because last time i checked they are big pharma the same people that have been killing people for profit for years.

In my opinion the rest of the compounds are missing because they actually help people get better, and not just get you addicted to the 1 compound in high %'s so you keep coming back for more.

That my friend is supply and demand.

Supply and demand for THCA crystals do exist they can be 99% THCA and are sold by the KG's every year.
Pharma will use the other Cannabinoids when they have clinical studies that show efficacy and safety.
The reason I developed single Minor Cannabinoid Varieties was to spur the research into use of the Minor Cannabinoids.
You do not want all patients to have to consume all Cannabinoids to get the one or two they need/want do you?
I also like high THCA only varieties as I have zero need for the other Cannabinoids, I made the single minor Cannabinoid varieties because I could and researches had no access to minor Cannabinoids.
THCA and my favorite terpenes are all I want. I do not even smoke herbal Cannabis I smoke 99.9% dry sift resin heads and they are exactly what I want. A little over 80% THCA and terpene rich..
-SamS

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The medicinal properties is not dependent on only one or two constituents.You have the major & minor constituents in a plant and both can play a role in the medicinal benefits.

stashpot

Supply and demand for THCA crystals do exist they can be 99% THCA and are sold by the KG's every year.
Pharma will use the other Cannabinoids when they have clinical studies that show efficacy and safety.
The reason I developed single Minor Cannabinoid Varieties was to spur the research into use of the Minor Cannabinoids.
You do not want all patients to have to consume all Cannabinoids to get the one or two they need/want do you?
I also like high THCA only varieties as I have zero need for the other Cannabinoids, I made the single minor Cannabinoid varieties because I could and researches had no access to minor Cannabinoids.
THCA and my favorite terpenes are all I want. I do not even smoke herbal Cannabis I smoke 99.9% dry sift resin heads and they are exactly what I want. A little over 80% THCA and terpene rich..
-SamS

That's fine no worries enjoy what you like, like what you enjoy.

Me, i like pure flowers with as much board spectrum as possible mainly in terps and a wider range of spectrums of cannabinoid compounds but still has a beautiful long lasting high
I like figuring out the complexity of terps and effects of cannabis before i enjoy anything else about it, but that's just me. Taste for me is probably the biggest factor, if it doesn't taste good normally i wont be interested regardless of compounds or high %'s.

Last edited:

stashpot

The medicinal properties is not dependent on only one or two constituents.You have the major & minor constituents in a plant and both can play a role in the medicinal benefits.

I agree but the government doesn't and that is what gets the final say.

No government, no legal market, they hold the stick.

stashpot

-SamS

"Of course I'm not bashing THC-A or CBD-A or single cultivars but why limit ourselves? why not have all wide spectrums of choices?"

I think you missed this sam? i mention its good but its not good for everybody, why limit ourselves?.

Cali been legalish since 96 point being they have studied cannabis enough to know to block the other compounds from being in the ones they control.

Its not hard to see that.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I really don't understand why people put taste ahead of effect. I eat sweets for yummy tastes, I smoke weed to get stoned.
on a side note, now it is possible to program DNA to be whatever you want, it is theoretically possible to identify the genes you want, how many copies of them you want, where you want them and write them into the background genome of an existing plant. Then hit go on a keyboard. A machine can make that entire DNA string, put two into a doctored egg (not sure on what you call a protoseed) and grow it. Self it. And you have a batch of designer seeds. That is the true future of all breeding programs. Cannabis, live stock, slaves, everything.

stashpot

I read what you had to say and that's fine that clears a lot up, cheers for the feedback first of all.

In regards to the complaining comment, It's far from that, more of a debate which is really all these forums are, debatable content with each other. I am interested in cannabis and genetics and cannabis as a whole, i wanted to hear why you think the compounds you bred and that are also used in the business market are only important, and you cleared that up.

As for the breed my own ones i do that on tiny scale for my personal or friends use, I'm just trying to figure out which are the ones without the missing compounds but without lab equipment that's the hard part these days, but there is other means.

I know how resilient cannabis is didn't it stand the test of time, maybe even beyond our time and galaxy but that's debatable.

I may be blind Samwise, but I'm far from stupid.
Good day Sir.

stashpot

I really don't understand why people put taste ahead of effect. I eat sweets for yummy tastes, I smoke weed to get stoned.
on a side note, now it is possible to program DNA to be whatever you want, it is theoretically possible to identify the genes you want, how many copies of them you want, where you want them and write them into the background genome of an existing plant. Then hit go on a keyboard. A machine can make that entire DNA string, put two into a doctored egg (not sure on what you call a protoseed) and grow it. Self it. And you have a batch of designer seeds. That is the true future of all breeding programs. Cannabis, live stock, slaves, everything.

Taste would be the main thing not the only thing, unless of course the cannabis has weak effects then taste isn't much of a factor but for me

If i had 2 strains, 1 with great taste and great high and 1 with greater high but no taste.
Im going to enjoy the first one more and most likely use it more.

stashpot

Surely everybody misses the joints that turned to glue sticks while you smoked on them the oil and resin would oil up and coat your joint with beautiful sticky resin giving off amazing terp profiles

Hard to find these days, compounds matter.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

While cannabinoids influences cb1 & cb2 receptors, influence terpenes the limbic system, which is part of the brain

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oilsofshakan.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F07%2FIMG_5352.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg

...CR500AF...

Hey GMT, I also go for effect over looks,flavor,smell. i like them as well, maybe not looks so much, How it makes me feel is the only thing i truly care about. The honey oil brings out the flavor, smell, fairly intense so i do not worry so much about that more the effect for sure. but to each there own...:D

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Mex, I'm sorry man, but I'm not about to debate aromatherapy any more than I'm going to debate the transport methods of the tooth fairy.

Cr500, good to hear man.

CaptainDankness

While cannabinoids influences cb1 & cb2 receptors, influence terpenes the limbic system, which is part of the brain

That's what they say, but have you ever tried an aroma therapy candle? They don't do shit IME. Now I do a couple dabs I'm high even though not much for terpines, I smoke a joint I still get high not much of a difference.

Now I definitely like good tasting weed more so than a bland strain, but if it comes down to it I will smoke Mexican brick. Really some of my best highs came from brick weed, of course that's just because I had a low tolerance as a teenager that saved lunch money for a bag of weed. Lol
the medicine is definitely in the cannabinoids, not like you can eat aroma therapy for aroma therapy that's only for the nose. I definitely wouldn't want to medicate 3 times a day with just high THC edibles either, cause I get so high I don't think it's safe to drive on edibles. Meanwhile I can smoke a joint and do important stuff.

Definitely don't agree with Sativex being better than a 1:1 ratio plant you can extract at home with a little bit of butter. Also some of the lesser known cannabinoids have promising effects, even one that's something like 30 times stronger than Delta 9 THC, probably not too heavily found in weed, but now they know what to test for and who knows Phylos might breed retardedly strong plants, cause 2% of that one cannabinoid is stronger than anything available, well unless that's the reason something could be like 15% yet better than the higher THC plants.

Either way terpines can only effect you from smelling them, so smoke a joint and smell the jar. Lol

CaptainDankness

-SamS

Such a hash snob. I'm all like " I'll smoke Mexican brick if I have to." Lol, really I'd probably do it just for the old times personally.
I do love the little bit of dry sift I get from trimming, only have one screen so probably no 99.9% heads, but it's good enough for me.

stashpot

Such a hash snob. I'm all like " I'll smoke Mexican brick if I have to." Lol, really I'd probably do it just for the old times personally.
I do love the little bit of dry sift I get from trimming, only have one screen so probably no 99.9% heads, but it's good enough for me.

We still get imported thai weed and others here :) I will smoke it for fun or if i have to.
I may never smoke 99.9% heads but flowers for me have everything you just extracted the 99,9% from? unless you have outsourced some magical chemicals that extracted while you took the 99.9% from?

I have 10 grams of flowers, i extracted them for 99.9% and smoked them.

I have 10 grams of flowers, i smoked them pure.

Either way you skin it, you consumed 10 grams of flowers, the only difference is the method you used to consume it.

stashpot

That's what they say, but have you ever tried an aroma therapy candle? They don't do shit IME. Now I do a couple dabs I'm high even though not much for terpines, I smoke a joint I still get high not much of a difference.

Now I definitely like good tasting weed more so than a bland strain, but if it comes down to it I will smoke Mexican brick. Really some of my best highs came from brick weed, of course that's just because I had a low tolerance as a teenager that saved lunch money for a bag of weed. Lol
the medicine is definitely in the cannabinoids, not like you can eat aroma therapy for aroma therapy that's only for the nose. I definitely wouldn't want to medicate 3 times a day with just high THC edibles either, cause I get so high I don't think it's safe to drive on edibles. Meanwhile I can smoke a joint and do important stuff.

Definitely don't agree with Sativex being better than a 1:1 ratio plant you can extract at home with a little bit of butter. Also some of the lesser known cannabinoids have promising effects, even one that's something like 30 times stronger than Delta 9 THC, probably not too heavily found in weed, but now they know what to test for and who knows Phylos might breed retardedly strong plants, cause 2% of that one cannabinoid is stronger than anything available, well unless that's the reason something could be like 15% yet better than the higher THC plants.

Either way terpines can only effect you from smelling them, so smoke a joint and smell the jar. Lol

I agree with a lot of what you said but Terps effect taste.. and smell and enhance your high and love for the product itself, making it more enjoyable including the high.. its a combination of all my friend you need to love cannabis more instead of just saying oh it gets me high job done. That to me sounds like a drug that you just need but don't fully enjoy its rare qualities.

Like most people who drink coffee they don't care about taste or aroma they just want to drink it to wake them up or feel the feeling from coffee, again sounds like a drug that people just need and don't take the time to inspect or appreciate fully.

When you start loving the cannabis flower you expect more than just a high to kick your habit, but that's only my view others may disagree.
Also just a heads up Im not judging you 1 bit, you can like whatever you want, but i feel like all aspects including terps effect smell and taste, and ultimately the overall effects. Peace

Just a little extra thought i left out.. after growing my crop for 4 or 5 months including drying and curing, breaking my back everyday, time, effort, money, love sweat and pain to make the best flowers... you can bet i want those flowers firing on all cylinders or im not happy.

Grow cannabis for 5 months smoke the first joint if it tastes like shit or bland you will be highly disappointed, regardless of smell, high, etc etc.

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

Definitely a big difference in smoking good tasting and smelling weed. Just makes it more enjoyable, way back, we'd crack cigars and roll it up with about an eighth of brick weed. Now I enjoy the taste of weed so much I hate blunts, joints I still like more into the super thin Raw papers, but nothing beats a glass pipe. The flavor definitely makes smoking it more enjoyable, puts you in a slightly better mood, but I think the overall high is about the same.

Really I think of it more like Alcohol, sure you can drink 190 proof grain alcohol, but it tastes like shit, or you can buy a 10 year aged bourbon and you have something that tastes pretty good. I'm buying the Bourbon, just so much flavor.

​​​​​​

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I suppose it really comes down to do you want to be trendy at the party, or get the benefit for medicinal reasons at home?