What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Past, the Present, and the Future of Cannabis Breeding

I will just add that if a company's plan is to claim long-held IP rights over most current cultivars, then a good solution would be some kind of gofundme style class action lawsuit to invalidate said IP under law. When enough pissed off people band together, shit gets done... Nothing makes a troll piss themselves more than the thought of losing IP rights via invalidation. I hope I am wrong, but the specter of Federal legalization, would be the time for big business to make a play with IP. The irony is that big business is only capable of mids, no matter how good the genetics are. So, the fucktards, like Phylos, make grandiose claims about the future and fail to deliver. Is this that? Not knocking tissue culture - been reading some very interesting things - and this seems like a good fit for large scale production, but how is this the future of breeding? Need to grow out said tissue culture, if altered genetically, to see if traits are expressed. Garbage in, garbage out means only as good as algorithm. People smoke it not computers.

Looks like we need to wait to April to see the TBD Future??? What happens then???

WFF

Phylos 2.0

hellfire

I wonder if the big money backed guys have any interest in preserving variety or just making marketable strains for commercial production :bigeye:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Rob was in a video were he talked about how hortafarm had 47 or 49 plants patented at that point and how all the plants GW was growing were under license this was a a few years back video was later removed.

Breeder Steve was talking in a video from Colombia a month or two back were he claimed the future in cannabis was sterile plants and he had all ready achieved sterility in plants by selfing then x amounts of Generations.

Breeder Steve and chim were talking about tissue culture many years ago were you would buy a seed like thing that had set clone material in it that you would plant and up pops a copy of set clone.

The future of cannabis breeding is sounding more about big industry protecting there monopoly on cannabis than protecting the species cannabis to me.

Tynehead Tom

I can understand the need for science/medicine and cannabis to come together to create cannabis derived medicines that specifically target a specific or a range of illness or condition. I understand and accept that these folks deserve to make an income from thier professions just like anyone else in any other given career. I can also accept that if a specific plant has been bred or otherwise created and stands as unique from all others I could care less if that specific plant is patented and protected by the company or individual who created it.

But.... hands off my ganja and seed collection and stay the fuck outta my garden. As in if these people think they will have any say at all in what people grow or sell or share and think they are going to create some strain monopoly..... they are gonna get burned for it in the end.

I remain a skeptic of anyone involved in these big corporate cannabis endeavors and dilusions of grandeur.

J-Icky

I wonder if MonSamTo is behind Segra? :biggrin:

Funny how quickly that got edited out of his post. Not an employee or paid but your the top advisor?

This is just like Phylos all over again and it’s funny how it’s him and Rob involved.

clearheaded

ya thanks sam! who cares if gave him shares or anything to be on advisory board or gets consulting bucks. or peice if use his genetics. or nothing at all to be an advisor..

seems like they have pivoted to be more of nursery/genetics source vs supplying every grow with plantlets? I would love to hear thoughts, and maybe go into it on the panel, but would love to hear sams thoughts on how TC fits into the future. just scrub, genetic library keeping, breeding tool (no more lost moms and pas from the the true f1 days), or actually production plants coming from plantlets withought tdz antibiotics and other known harmful PGRs. chunk of agar left on plantlet not worth it for customer to take teh risk of those chemicals when bedrocan demonstrated in legal framwork they can make money on indoor grown selling for 5 dollars or less a gram. while not very good bedrocan produced better stuff then all the medical LPs and sold for less pre canopy growth.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I see big canna in Colombia now many have managed to collect some very sought after genetics rare Colombians from locals most would love to see in there gardens dose any one honestly think they will ever be made available ?.

Arjan and the strain hunters went met remote farmers took there genetics handed them Fem seed that hermied and left like thieves in the night years later any one seen any of the land races made available to any growers ?.

I thought the future of cannabis would involve collecting preserving what is left after almost a century of prohibition and sharing and spreading the genetics far and wide.

romanoweed

i think arjan sent some congolese to a seemingly good german company. called gartersleben.

this company shares seeds for a fee. im not shure if his congo is also to be had, but he sent it to them.

you need a certificate to get gartersleben seeds if i recall right. so, im not investigating further, but like said this seedbank does actually good things, and needs fees, cause thats how laws dictate it in germany, you must pay to share seeds. but they try spreading old genetics...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
i think arjan sent some congolese to a seemingly good german company. gartersleben.

this company shares seeds for a fee. im not shure if his congo is also to be had, but he sent it to them.

you need a certificate to get gartersleben seeds if i recall right. so, im not investigating further, but like said this seedbank does actually good things, and needs fees, cause thats how laws dictate it in germany, you must pay to share seeds. but they try spreading old genetics...

How are growers going to get seed n grow them in Germany when its not legal to do so there.

Arjan owns a seed company why has he not offered seed threw his seed company if his about preservation ?.

romanoweed

I guess its legal to have Seeds for medical Research. Cause medical is legal.

Ive seen a Congo Plant from Gartersleben Seedbank grown by someone on Overgrow already.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I think anyone claiming to have enforceable cannabis cultivar IP in the United States is up for a very rude awakening. It is and has been illegal federally after all.

Companies like Segra could certainly have propriety IP with genomic sequencing and tissue culture, and then license this technology to WILLING customers to their hearts content. If they build a better mousetrap, then the world will beat a path to their door.

Is this the future of breeding in general? Very doubtful until they prove their concept by showing real world and not theoretical benefits. While extraction and formulation companies might love the ideas of high CBN plants or cultivars that produce significant levels of specific terpenes, virtually no consumer will be smoking that shit.

Is this the future of breeding for Segra? Probably much more likely outcome...

If they think that they have cracked god's code to understand every last detail of genome and how said genome interoperates between parts large and small and can then take those genome components and recombine in novel ways better then mother nature to short circuit the breeding process without growing, observing and smoking phenotypes, well... I would have to say that they been snorting too much of their next-generation product.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I can see two sides to this one being industry and one being the growers who have collected preserved and freely shared genetics since way back.

My problems with industry is they think they have the only right to the genetics that are left this is why many now are not willing to share genetics as they know it will end up in big cannas hands.

Seed retailers only sold regular seed now most sell fem and Autos so its not all big canna that is a problem.

If people dont have the ability to grow from seed produce seed from a male and female then its not going to end well reversing a female to a male as the only option wont end well.

troutman

Seed Whore
Big Canna has missed to boat entirely in my honest opinion and are only mass producing the equivalent of domestic beer.
I don't see anyone producing the equivalent of a fine Wine or aged Whiskey. I find it sad to see people growing in really
nice Tropical locations only growing modern strains vs the Primo.

i think arjan sent some congolese to a seemingly good german company. called gartersleben.

On a side note, I've been working with feral congolese landrace for years now (that super potent black/purple tobacco smelling magic herb) and have given enough seed to the east-coast community to keep it preserved... I was gifted them from a congolese cannafarmer.

If you see the video of Arjan and hamiliton, their "quest for congolese landrace" they basically stole the landrace from the local tribe, the tribe was flipping out, when hamiliton asks if they plan on giving money from their seed venture to the congolese people, he says it doesnt work like that.

Big example of how big canna operates vs community preservation.
I stopped following GHS after that.

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I received several times pictures of buds what is sold in Canada, but it is just sadness what is offered for the price, they ask for.
Can we beat Mother Nature by the new techniques big-agro companies are using, don't think so.

romanoweed

I dont know, ive watched Strainhunters vid 10 Times each.

Thats not true they didnt give any money. They gave them 50 Dollar. Later someone from that "Tribe" found out how much money they can make. but i guess "found out" means just "someone estimated" . Just a number he expect for a good selling Strain.

Then they flipped out, Interviewer asked "why paying so few money" and franco said: it doesent work that way. So, they didnt steal, not true as recall.

------
Well your next reply might be: "but its to few" . Well, i wont argue, all i can say this is DAILY LIFE in Congo, no Tourist, nobody pays 20 Dollars for a Pizza in Congo. Aswell, he went into dangerous Place, better take the least possible if you wanna survive/or not getting robbed i guess.