What's new

The Original Zamal is a Perennial?

idiit

Veteran
guys and gals, it's a great story.

be interesting to see where it takes us.

I enjoy the opposing perspectives.

please keep coming in and posting.

ahortator

Veteran
Sorry,i should stop posting in a hurry...and maybe try to improve my reading skills lol...now i get back to my cave

Hi

If you are in the cave, please get out of it and stand here with us, all together my friend :tiphat:

I said you hit the nail on the head both, because you are right. The plant/plants in the pic are clones. And he claimed he can grow in total darkness.

Greetings :party:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
^ post. :)

very cool info. so glad you stopped by ahortator'.

well, jamieshoes, looks like we got a good storyline going. :)

hey that pic that 20' thai reckons is one plant ,
no way in the world is it one plant , just look at all the seperate plants ,, lets see the stalk ??

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi Idiit. Thank you very much :tiphat:

I remembered I have seen some Gerrit's Zamal plants pics with a beautiful and interesting growth pattern.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1355325&postcount=25

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=72292&page=2

It is his Zamal A. I think it is the same cut used in Zamaldelica. It is autoflowering, but it seems to me something creeping.

About perennial/inmortal plants, I am agree with this that Mustafunk said:

Dubi explained it is difficult to keep the clone alive.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=101916

Hi Pepé

You hit the nail on the head both :biggrin:

As 20'Thai explained, he clonned the shoots. The only difference with the common clonning method is that he didn't bother to cut the branches to clone them, and he put the clones directly in soil, not in pots or a propagator, as most people do.

Somethig like this:
View Image

I have too a copy of his PDF document about radionics :woohoo: :dance013:

http://www.docdroid.net/144zn/radionic.pdf.html

http://docdro.id/144zn

Greetings.

that pic is what i suspect is happening with any plant that defies death and lives for another season ,
i am 100% sure it cant do it on the same root system , so they must re root somewhere along the stem as i mentioned seeing once before ,,, that is not really perennial growth , its just a cutting of the same plant ..

ahortator

Veteran
that pic is what i suspect is happening with any plant that defies death and lives for another season ,
i am 100% sure it cant do it on the same root system , so they must re root somewhere along the stem as i mentioned seeing once before ,,, that is not really perennial growth , its just a cutting of the same plant ..

Hi Don :tiphat:

I think it so.

Perhaps the comparison is extravagant, but to escape from Death the way for a Cannabis plant could be to do the same the Huon pine or the King's lomatia. By itself or with some help.

Mitcham peppermint is a sterile hybrid and it is said it is grown at least since 1750. Salvia divinorum, however it is possible, rarely grows from seed. Most salvia clones are the Bunnel clone (a.k.a. Wasson-Hoffman), alongside less spreaded clones as Blosser, Cerro Quemado, Paradox, etc.

They are much different to a ganja plant. But when I read about a plant older than 3 or 4 years, it must be a clone with a new root system.

Also the 3 or 4 years old plants I have seen, finally died because they refused to revegetate, or simply they die slowly. While some cuttings I took refused to root.

About 20'Thai's plant the only way I can imagine he grew that plant (if he told the true and was no joking) is pushing the main stem and branches on the ground, growing it like a pumpkin vine in a SCROG pattern but allowing the branches to root. And later when flowering he allowed the stems to grow upright.

I would like to test and see if it is possible, or if the stems rot and die in contact with the wet ground. But today I can only grow in pots.

Mold and pests are a serious problem to keep a plant alive more than one season. Or even from seed to harvest only one time.

Greetings.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
ohh sorry ahortator ,
really good to be here to see you too man ...

maybe we are not getting the correct translation of "the foot"
perhaps this simply refers to a cutting of the original ,
it sure would explain claims of up to 5 years growth from a single plant ..

lol on the ratbag farmers idiit , heheheh ..

idiit

Veteran
^ :)

I too have seen some really crazy posts by some fools. we're chopping our way to the bottom of things.

not knocking the experienced zamal growers. I don't remember the bourbon breeders collective documenting perennial growth, perpetual harvest nor "terpene extractor".

I spent hours reading the cannaweed zamal posts and from that experience i'm going with perpetual harvest and perennial. i'm not buying the 'terpene extractor' concept until I see some good documentation or enough first hand experiences from experienced growers.

S

scai

Well, now that I see a plant with branches rooting, I say...it can go forever.The old middle will die eventually, but branches with estabilished rootsystem can grow a year or two and make new branches that root.
We have some bushes here that do the same.
And as she produces many harvest...I can come to only one conclusion...
I want to live in Reunion! Damn!

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

I remember Raco posted this pic. Not a Zamal, but a plant with a creeper branch.

11599TW_creeper_1_1_.jpg

You can see here, not a Zamal too, but a supposedly Colombian creeper strain. Punto Rojo Escorpión, Scorpion Red Point.

140501095433906062.jpg

Punto Rojo Scorpion (from the coffee growing zone)

Vegetative: Between 3 and 4 months. Flowering: between 3 and 3 months and a half
Conical shaped plant little branched, something pale leaves, with a
long main bud which tend to bend by its own weight when it becomes denser. The scorpion has a natural tendency to regenerate and its top is always growing; even after it has flowered and matured completely all the plant and to be almost in the ground, its "vegetative top" tends to straighten and grow straight towards the sun, evoking the shape of a scorpion tail. With little dense and long buds heaped in clusters they make big compact tails and good resin, the calix and some bud small leaves pigmentation indicate their maturity.
They are very litlle aromatic, some citric. Fisical stone but not very potent, that allows to enjoy without excess, smooth and creamy smoke, good taste but not very flavourful.

Some things in the description seems contradictory to me. But it is what it says.

Someone posted this Zamal pic from Cannaweed before. But without the supposed measurements :D

66a31c.jpg

Greetings.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
This is an interesting topic without any doubt.

My experience with Zamal genetics is merely based on Gypsy's Zamal line so i cannot comment properly about the whole Zamal cannabis genepool that is growing in Reunion island.

To understand these reports about 'perennial' sativas in the island we must first understand that Reunion is located around 20º latitude south, so it's a subtropical area with warm conditions all year around, but this kind of subtropical locations still have different seasons with different photoperiods.

Secondly, we must learn which are the origins of the tropical sativas grown in the island. If the genetics grown there came originally from more tropical areas like central Africa or southern India, then these genetics originally grew with almost constant 12/12 photoperiod. An extreme tropical sativa with origins between 0-10º latitude will flower differently in a seasonable subtropical area like Reunion. These extreme tropical sativas grown in Reunion or other subtropical islands like Canary Islands will usually finish the maturation in winter, and as you well know extreme tropical sativas have great potential to reveg when the days increase again over 12/12 in spring, especially if the rainy season is over and long sunny days come again.

So it's not surprising for a healthy 4-5 meter extreme tropical sativa plant that flowers irregularly (oftenly maturing first the lower lateral branches but keep growing and flowering in the upper colas) to harvest first the lower more matured parts of the plant, and let the rest of the plant to mature a few weeks more (so the rest of the upper plant can gain more weight and reach a better moment of maturation).

Indicas stop a lot their root system in mid and late flowering, but the root system of extreme tropical sativas is still quite active during all the flowering, especially if the tropical sativa plant is grown in soil, big and under proper conditions.

I can easily imagine how these extreme tropical sativas will regrow again in next spring after most of the plant was harvested, when the days start to increase again up to 14 light /10 darkness photoperiod. With the correct prunning, correct feeding and correct sunny conditions, extreme sativas will grow again next season until next autumn when it will flower again. I think this can be achieved through several years but maybe is not seen very often due the lack of discretion that a plant of this size would reach.

Regarding Gypsy's Zamal, i'm quite sure that the fast auto flowering pheno won't survive after winter, but the first Zamals i grew from same stock were non auto flowering, they were super long flowering sativas that finished in mid late December in northern hemisphere, i think this non auto flowering, late flowering zamal phenos have the potential to survive the winter in warm subtropical areas starting to grow again after spring equinox.

I didn't experienced this directly with Zamal, but i did it with Oldtimer's Haze which can be considered as an extreme tropical sativa. In 2007 i was flowering Oldtimer's Haze for a reproduction and i pollinated them in December, then let the plants mature until late of March, at that time the seeds were matured and the hazes started to grow again, i didn't continue growing them next year as they were grown in small pots and they were exhausted after the cold winter conditions of my 37N latitude and the fact that they were heavily pollinated, so they were not very healthy at at all at the end of flowering, and it was preferable to start a new season from seed, but i think it can be done with this type of plants, i also believe can be done with the old extreme long flowering colombians and probably also with the more tropical african sativas.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Is Zamal Hashplant known for autoflowering?

Hi luxcultivars,

Zamal Hash has no auto or semi auto flowering traits, we tried Zamal x HashPlant and HashPlant x Zamal and none of them had the semi auto flowering trait.

I also did a Zamal x China Yunnan F1 in 2007 and had no semi auto flowering trait. Just a small rate of the original Zamaldelica standard version (Zamal x Malawi/Thai) showed it, but this trait has been breed out in latest Zamaldelica versions.

Hope it helps.

idiit

Veteran
Flight MH370 Wreckage Found, Close To Madagascar
Tyler Durden's picture
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 07/29/2015

16 Months after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared off the coast of Malaysia, The Telegraph reports that fragments of a wing washed up in the French island of Reunion (near Madagascar) could be wreckage from the missing plane, according to an aviation expert.

Vareious consipracy theories surrounded the plane's disappearance...

^ there goes this year's la reunon zamal harvest.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Just a small rate of the original Zamaldelica standard version (Zamal x Malawi/Thai) showed it, but this trait has been breed out in latest Zamaldelica versions.

I kept two of the original Zamaldelica, and one has
the auto trait.

Tricky plant to maintain in veg, but I have learned to keep
her growing for cuttings.

Smells like sweet, ripe pineapple, very good, surprisingly
social relax smoke.

idiit

Veteran
^ hey droppedcat! glad to hear you have that pheno preserved. I found her excellent in hybrid potential, especially outdoors. her hybrids outgrew the small trees once hiding her ffrom ground view. :) great bag appeal and high effects like you describe.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I have to spread some more rep points around before giving anymore to idiit.
Damn, idiit, thank you so much for al your hard work and dedication.
Much Love

sweet-emotion

Veteran
I'd like to see some close up pictures of the Zamal landrace grown in La Reunion...I can't believe we are in 2015 and we don't have access to more information a photos

S

scai

May I present Mango Zamal x Mauritius ;)
These are beasts.Like Zamaldelica they take cold an humid very well.No mold, no shrinking.Little pots, huge plants.I have donated rest of the seeds to one guy who promises to work them even further.Some hermied a bit, not bad anyways, 2 out of ten or something.But you know to expect that.
Nice genes.
Taken down early, but these are big plants and I desperately need room for I have to take in rest of the plants that are in a greenhouse.Still got three of these growing and some more outside.
picture.php

picture.php