What's new

The Original Zamal is a Perennial?

idiit

Veteran
the lemon Zamal is (at La Reunion) not a particular strain, but a Zamal grown among lemon trees, which gives it a special taste (but perhaps you crossed it with a strain called lemon).
The most appreciated Zamal variety is the Mangue-Carotte, which gets its taste from growing close to Mango trees.
I'm in no way a Zamal expert (as I've already pointed out to Zamalito), but I sometimes come across Zamal threads while reading the French cultivation forums, and lap it all up.
Stay safe.

Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadM
are you sure? it don't seems to me that cannabis grown near other culture take others plant taste

I must admit that I was very skeptic to this myself, I couldn't for the world figure out why a plant that grew next to another plant would aquire some of that other plants taste or scent. But I kept hearing growers and gardeners say that it was so. I contacted an experienced horticulturist that explained to me that plant roots actually attack other plant's roots and suck nutrients out of them. This is - to me - the most plausible explanation I've come across.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=43843

The Lemon Zamal grows under Lemon trees, and is concidered high quality, but ranked below the Mangue-Carotte

The Mangue-Carotte is a type of fruity Sativa grown under Mango trees, which gives them a particular Mango scent. It is concidered the best quality weed because of where it's grown - the lambsbread of la Réunion - and fetches the highest price.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98484&pp=15&highlight=zamal&page=3

Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman View Post
Will Zamal live through cold wether in the North? And re-grow from the same roots in the spring? Or is Zamal just a very late Sativa that can sometimes live thru a few months of short photo period? I think the latter, and I have grown Zamal BTW.
Dalaihempy,
As for a 5 year old Cannabis plant that re-flowers each year after harvest, I have my doubts, first of all S Africa is at the 22-33 latitude, not exactly equatorial.
Where in S Africa did you see this? What was the date, time of year?
I was told this so many times in India, Thailand, Laos, and Nepal, that I tried to find plants that were perennial, but every time I tried I found the plants were in fact new from seed each year, but in stands that seemed to re-grow the same plants each year.
You need to be there when the seeds or plant is just starting in their local spring time, and see if it really is re-growing or not. If it is flowered then it is very hard to determine.
Now I have had a few plants that did make it, but only in heated greenhouses, and only if planted very late, short photoperiod is enough to kill most, cold will kill the rest.
I am not say it has never happened ever, but why don't any growers do this in the USA?
Because it is unreliable, that is why.

-SamS

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3415296&highlight=zamal+perennial"#post3415296

idiit

Veteran
^^ at least i'm not making it all up. :)

seeds of Africa also repeats the legend re it's a perennial and picks up terpenes from surrounding vegetation.

It is said that Zamal has been known to take characteristics from its surrounding habitat and present these in its terpenes. Zamal found among lemon trees can take on lemony characteristics and the same has been said of the plant growing close to mango trees.

It is also told by the islands Keepers that it displays distinct regenerative capabilities- perpetual growth that is not displayed as commonly or successfully in other cannabis lineage making this a very special landrace Sativa indeed.
http://www.seeds-of-africa.com/zamal-reunion/

idiit

Veteran
this stuff of legend is fun. fun topic to discuss. I'm having fun. :)

I did spend hours reading the posts on the French canna site. I say yes, but i'm gullible. :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Ive grown plenty of pot that smelt like mangoes , lemons , pineapples , blueberries , but i never needed a blueberry plant , or a mango tree ,, cannabis has its own smells , its a long list ,, i know the carrot sativa smell well , its quite prominent in some african sativas ,, especially swazi ..

Reading sams quote there seems to say the chance of survival through a winter to a following season is slim , he had to use a green house , but he doesnt say they were over a year old already .. also that the reports of more than one season elsewhere were always inaccurate , from folks that lack observation skills it seems ,
if there was some accurate documentation i would be interested to see it ...

I did see one live over 12 months , but when i checked the original root system was dead and had been some time , it had re rooted further up the stalk where it lay on the ground, so in fact it was a cutting of the original , you couldnt class it as perennial growth ....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hehehe ,
yes im having a bit of fun too idiit ,
friendly debates and sharing information is good for mind stretching ,
and at the end of this one you can always buy us both a ticket to la reunion and we can go suss it out together , now that would really be some fun ...

burmese

i have never needed plant so long to flower , but what i have seen there was sometimes generated new life in plant when she was cutted,seeded or iluminated by more light no matter how long days hours was or if she was right for harvest
now have kalichakra male who revegetated//not really because he has only threebladedleafs// but new leafs = new male flowers and she was on side of room to not seeded all plants and i put here only closer to light, the same i have x times with many strains within autoflowers
in la reunion there is a ocean who reflect light/ and more in teoretic,,winter,,for a plant in that area so plant can react to this light???

burmese

sorry, its only humour//irony for abusive people///// but it seems that plants dontwant live close some growers or they grow for ......?

idiit

Veteran
TERPENES!

the path I want to see this conversation take is the legend that zamal's root system can absorb surrounding vegetation's terpenes.

I contacted an experienced horticulturist that explained to me that plant roots actually attack other plant's roots and suck nutrients out of them. This is - to me - the most plausible explanation I've come across.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=43843

the current perspective among the more advanced canna enthusiasts is that terpene content is heavily correlated to the high effects, perhaps even more than "heavily correlated"; causal relationship.

It is logical enough on the surface. Often, it seems clear--absolutely clear--that a specific action caused a second event to happen. This is what is known as causation.

^ can growing zamal near different vegetation ( ie mango trees, lemon trees) change the high effects of the exact same cut? ( is where i'm going with this). :)

burmese

good, second think is if plant absorb with hole body humidity,nutrients ,

1. it must be the same with terpenes?
2. or can terpenes//or other plant chemicals, hormones/// activate revegetating?

S

scai

Hey guys, it's not so far fetched.
There have been studies that show how some species are friendly to each other and benefit if they are grown together.
Some species fight and steal room from others.
And then there have been studies that show that whole forrest is one big ekosystem.Big trees help young saplings giving them nutrients and all the plants and mykorrhiza etc...work together. Otherwise there wouldn't be any young trees or shrubbs at all.

If someone wants to experiment if he can ooze some lemon into zamal, what's the harm in that.
People do experiment, if we didn't there would not be inventions. Good luck for him.

But yes, "perennial" zamal makes sense now, when I think about it.
I would not call it perennial, although it is that.
It's a specially longflowering sativa that won't give up.
It has rootsystem that doesn't die easily, but wants to keep plant alive. That is a key to legend me thinks

I'm not really suprised, two years ago I left big zamaldelica in greenhouse.Didn't think much of it.Was frost already and after few weeks went to see it, it was perfect.No mould, no frostbites.
Try to take it inside but damaged roots.
So I know it can take alot _not so good_ conditions.

So harvesting and zamal spurring new growth doesn't really amaze me.
It's only that we are here in Europe where they don't have chance of that.Except inside, where you have to take zamal back to growroom after harvesting?

Maybe zamal could manage perpetual grows in Hawaii, who knows, no-one has tried ;)

And hey you two, you WILL NOT go to Reunion without me, is that CLEAR!

P.S sooooo good stuff you have dig up Idiit, stories are good and you did have some work to do when you translated ;)

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
ok, so it's decided.. the four of us must visit reunion as soon as possible to smoke the place up and put some of these notions to rest - hehe

but seriously folks.. I'm loving the exchange of information and ideas in this thread..it's not often I feel like I'm being schooled on cannabis, but I'm learning different perspectives left and right here lately :)

Last edited:

burmese

yes a very useful info and good school of cannabis botany, it will be better with legalization
i was as young acid head experimented with everything in the kitchen,
i remember halfriped seed from no sex plant //vegetative-no male or female//practically overnight, next i remember tripling the size practically overninght
i remember to brush stem with lemons, onions, coffe, eggs, honey,spiceries,,, but as i wrote i mixed all in kitchen, i cant help couse i dont remmember five years from my head

now //last 15 years// i grow mostly underfeeded, only slight with urtica dioica or guano or rooibos and different fruit teas so really cant help but be sure that my all plants love it

...so there is so much perspective to find wonders in this ways,,,, good luck man,s

burmese

and if thc is really like,,reactant,, and can do synergic effect and boost effect of some other active biochemicals not natural to cannabis//eter oils, terpene,vitamins//
I dont know, i am not botanyst, only hobby blunderer

S

scai

Hah, four explorers of Icmag.
Bringing new species to mankind! From jungles, from hilltops, from rainforests!

canned abyss1

Veteran
I posted this in another thread a few years ago, I think it applies here also.
I don't think it can be considered perennial even if it survives multiple years. If it gets cut down at the base new growth will not grow from the root stock, only if some nodes are left will new growth come about, this would also happen if the plant got frozen, new growth would not happen not even at the nodes, in a perennial this is not the case. These long flowering plants are essentially revegging themselves. I have a pheno of golden tiger that won't flower properly under 12/12, it needs an 11/13 schedule to flower properly. Under 12/12 it starts to flower then eventually parts of it start to reveg. If I cut it down to the stump it will not grow new vegetation. This and the fact that some plants can take 180 or more to flower can make them appear perennial.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I have a Zamal leaning pheno of the Zamaldelica original release.

She is a good plant and gives very good buds, pineapple in scent
and flavor, but I am chasing the constant flowering of the mums I have
kept in veg.

I root trim, gets the best results, but only for a couple weeks.

I have done veg at 18/6 all the way down to 14/10. I guess
I need to go with 20/4 and higher?

Kind of high maintenance, but so far she is worth it.

Waldgeist

good, second think is if plant absorb with hole body humidity,nutrients ,

1. it must be the same with terpenes?
2. or can terpenes//or other plant chemicals, hormones/// activate revegetating?

2. with calnit/tri in late flower, gets strong reveg without change of light timings but only single blades ...

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Aren't just about all equatorial sativas "perennials"?

Many of the thin leaf plants I've run outdoors here at 32N have been hacked back to their bottom shoots after flowering and then revegged outdoors without special lighting cycles.

I'm sure this is more difficult if not impossible at more extreme latitudes, but the shortest days here are 10 hours long, longest are 14 hours and night time temps rarely dip below 10C in the "dead" of winter.

As for Zamal's autoflowering tendency, even under 20/4 I got preflowers on every node. I think that's just it's way of letting you know its sexually mature and is willing to go whenever you're ready.

Not trying to throw shade, but the grower whos says the Zamal is best a couple years down the line is most likely overdosing the soil they're growing the plant in. Most folks don't realize that thin leaf plants need very little in terms of nutrients. Custom soil mixes (and most bag soils) are generally too hot for thin leaf plants. As the plant gets bigger and more resilient, its less juiced to the max and the smoke improves as a result.

the path I want to see this conversation take is the legend that zamal's root system can absorb surrounding vegetation's terpenes.

"I contacted an experienced horticulturist that explained to me that plant roots actually attack other plant's roots and suck nutrients out of them."

^ can growing zamal near different vegetation ( ie mango trees, lemon trees) change the high effects of the exact same cut?

Plants roots absolutely compete for nutrients when they intermingle and this can lead to stunted growth - similar to trying to grow plants in a small, weed filled garden.

However, they do not share flavoring (terpenes) through the roots. If they did, there would be no difference in flavor in densely planted gardens (cannabis or vegetable). We haven't seen tomatoes that taste like carrots, nor have I seen any taste/smell changes planting 4 cannabis plants to a single pot - though it does tend to slow down the root development a bit. If you're looking to enhance flavor profiles, I know there are several products like "Sweet" from Botanicare on the market that help to push the plant through specialized carbs to produce a more berry or citrus flavor. Most of the effects of these products can be duplicated through starting with good soil or the addition of a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to your water - but they do make things slightly more tasty and fragrant.

To go one further, plants also communicate via hormone release. When plants are attacked they release a very small amount of a warning hormone to let other plants know to beef up to defend themselves. If you look around there are lots of products with methyl jasmonate which are touted to increase drought and pest resistance. Some are watered in, some are foliars, but they definitely work. I have found they also work in flower - theres an increase bud size, but also an increase in flowering duration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts