What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Oregon Weed Thread -Grows, News and Laws and Whatever

R

Robrites

New requirements may disrupt Oregon marijuana extracts industry

New requirements may disrupt Oregon marijuana extracts industry

The Oregon Health Authority on Tuesday warned Oregon's medical marijuana dispensaries not to accept cannabis extracts, like butane hash oil, from unlicensed processors.

The health authority won't launch its licensing process for extract makers until next month, a delay likely to disrupt the marijuana processing industry, which churns out popular butane hash oil, or BHO, and CO2 oil for the medical market.

Already, Bend-based Lunchbox Alchemy, which makes BHO, has halted production. The company's products are sold in 220 dispensaries statewide.

For now, extracts may be sold only to medical marijuana patients and their caregivers. A bill awaiting the governor's signature would allow anyone 21 and older to buy extracts under Oregon's so-called early sales program.

The early sales program allows recreational consumers to purchase cannabis from dispensaries, which are regulated by the health authority. Starting later this year, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission will oversee recreational sales.

Cameron Yee, Lunchbox's owner, said he will shift production to marijuana concentrates, which are less popular but do not involve high heat or high pressure, elements used in extract manufacturing.

Concentrates are made using mechanical techniques, such as sifting, and solvents like water or vegetable glycerin instead of heat and pressure.

"I have to do whatever I need to do to keep my doors open," said Yee, who employs about 20 people. "It's really burdensome. It's causing a lot of hardship on me, lots of sleepless nights."

Under a bill signed this month by Gov. Kate Brown, unlicensed production of marijuana extracts is considered a felony. The provision is intended to target homemade butane hash oil operations.

Just last week a butane-fueled explosion rocked a Parkrose home. Portland fire officials said three children, including an infant, were in the home at the time. No one was injured.

The health authority plans to roll out a licensing process for commercial extract companies, but André Ourso, manager of the state's medical marijuana program, said Tuesday that the application won't be online until April 1.

Applying, he said, is just the beginning of a "long process" for getting registered. In all, he said the process could take "a few months."

"The application has to be reviewed," he said, adding that companies will need to ensure they meet local rules and fire safety requirements. "They still have to get their product tested for pesticides through an accredited laboratory."

For now, he said, dispensaries may continue to sell products currently on their shelves to medical marijuana patients.

"We just don't want new products coming in from an unregistered processor," said Ourso, who spoke at an Oregon Cannabis Association forum Tuesday evening on the state's rules.

Oregon medical marijuana patients and anyone 21 and older may legally possess BHO and other extracts and concentrates, which are readily available in dispensaries -- and on the illicit market.

Processors who want to sell their products on the medical market fall under the health authority's rules. The state's liquor commission has a separate application track for processors who want to sell products on the recreational side.

Amy Margolis, a Portland lawyer with the Oregon Cannabis Association, said Wednesday that the medical market and the early sales program are essential to extraction companies' ability to survive.

"People who run processing businesses have an enormous financial output," she said. "They employ a lot of people."

Word of the rule spread through Oregon's marijuana industry Wednesday. At Foster Buds in Portland, extracts make up about one-third of sales. Manager Ken Martin said he'll sell what's in stock and wait until the industry is licensed.

"Our hands are tied," he said.
oregonlive.com

R

Robrites

Oregon medical marijuana officials answer questions about new plant limits, rules (Q&

Oregon medical marijuana officials answer questions about new plant limits, rules (Q&

Oregon medical marijuana officials answer questions about new plant limits, rules (Q&A)

Oregon is rolling out a series of complex rules that will govern the medical marijuana industry, and, for the first time, regulate production and processing in the state.

On Tuesday, the Oregon Cannabis Association, which represents many in the state's burgeoning pot industry, held a forum in Portland with the Oregon Health Authority's André Ourso, manager of the health authority's medical marijuana section, went over a wide range of questions submitted by industry representatives.

Here are the questions and Ourso's answers. (This Q&A has been edited for length and clarity.)

Production

Q: How many mature plants can a grow site have under these new limits, and are the limits different for residential locations in the city versus industrial and farm use?

A: Inside city limits in an area zoned residential, 12 mature plants.

Inside city limits but not in a residential zone, or outside city limits, 48 mature plants.

See related: New rules may disrupt Oregon's extracts industry

Q: When do these limits go into place, and is there a difference between when the statute says they do and the grace period OHA has created?

A: The plant limits went into effect on March 1, under House Bill 3400. Senate Bill 1511, passed this session but not yet signed by the governor push that date back to April 1, 2016 . But again, as of now, the plant limits are in effect.

Q: How will OHA be enforcing those limits? How do tracking and enforcement differ for people growing at home and under 12 plants?

A: If OHA inspects a grow site and finds more plants then are permitted, growers could have their cards revoked. OHA will only be inspecting grow sites if there are more than 12 plants permitted to be grown at an address, or grow sites whether the grower is not growing at the patient's residence.

Q: Will inspections be random or scheduled?

A: OHA is limited in scope regarding what is inspected at grow sites. Primarily, OHA is looking at plant counts and patient/growers cards at each site.

At this point, inspections are complaint driven. Eventually, there will be random inspections, but we may base inspections off of audits of the monthly reports, looking at compliance and consistency with plant counts and the amount of marijuana produced that is reported to OHA.

Q: What will you do with the information collected from the tracking/reporting system?

A: The information collected is primarily to ensure OHA's compliance with federal guidelines in the Cole memorandum. That memo advises states to have a robust regulatory system and to control black market diversion.

In addition, generally the information will be analyzed and used to inform policymakers in the Legislature and executive agency about the state of the program.

We will look for trends and patterns on the amount of medical marijuana in the state and how supply and inventory may affect the market and industry and what patients have access to.

The data will also assist the agency in responses to public safety issues, such as the ability to recall an adulterated or dangerous product.

Q: The Legislature created a stay for those who applied for OLCC licenses; what will a grower be required to do to qualify for that stay?

A: The stay provision is in SB 1511, and that bill has not yet been signed. Assuming that will be signed, a grower will have to file a notice with OHA that includes:

The names and signatures of all the growers at a grow site address attesting that they all consent to being licensed by OLCC and that an application was filed with OLCC by April 1.
All the names of the patients for whom marijuana is being produced at the address.
Proof that all patients were sent a notice by certified mail that describes the patient's rights to the plants and usable marijuana and that once licensed the patient's rights will terminate.

Q: Many growers expect to be grandfathered in under the bigger plant limits; what are the qualifications for grandfathering, and when are those forms due by?

A: There is no due date for submitting a grandfathering petition, but a grower is subject to enforcement of the lower plant limits if the address is not grandfathered.

The specific information that is required for a petition is in our rules, OAR 333-008-0050, and there is a form on our website.

Basically in order to be grandfathered, all growers at a particular address must have been growing at the address continuously since December 31, 2014.

Q: What happens to patients when a grower gets their OLCC license? Can they keep their cards?

A: A patient cannot designate an address that is licensed by OLCC as a marijuana grow site. If a grower gets licensed by OLCC, or more specifically, if a grow site address is licensed by OLCC, OHA will notify the patients at that address that if they want to designate another grow site, they can. But the current grower and grow site are terminated.

There is a provision in SB 1511 that would allow an OLCC licensee to serve medical marijuana patients, and OLCC will be adopting rules to implement that new law when SB 1511 becomes law.

Q: Are you going to require water rights, security and land use compatibility statements for growers?

A: Growers are not required to submit a land use compatibility statement.

Growers have to comply with Oregon water law, which means they have to have a water right, have water supplied from a water provider that has a legal water right, or use water in a manner that is exempt from the water right requirements.

There are few exceptions from the water rights requirements if marijuana produced at a grow site is being transferred and sold to processing sites or dispensaries.

Growers have to keep marijuana out of the public view; that is the only security requirement.

READ THE REST http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2016/03/oregon_medical_marijuana_offic.html

frostqueen

I may have missed this, but what are the rules for single-patient (self-grow) cardholders as far as plant numbers, and will the OHA inspections apply? That wasn't clear.

R

Robrites

I think 6 mature plants still applies. OHA inspections are going to be complaint driven as far as I know.
Stay legal and don't piss off the neighbors.:)

Sluicebox

Any idea how to go about an inspection in a flower room with the lights off? I know many believe in green lights for dark period work. I've used a green LED head lamp twice and both times got nanners. Same strain with out being messed with in the dark no nanners.

How about the inspector transporting plant pests from one grow to another? The guy may as well be rolling around in Black berry bushes before stopping by your place.

Edit: How does that Micro Canopy work? It says that we have until April 1 to register and get signatures from any growers and patients. At least one grower has to have been at site prior to Jan 1 2015. Yet it will allow 1250 sq/ft indoor production. Is that going to require more than one registered grower for that canopy? Are plant counts going to apply? Meaning you would have to have multiple growers at that site to fill in the canopy? I'm hoping it means that an individual can apply and be able to run that canopy on his own, with out patients. Then if you choose to kick down to a patient that is your choice. I'm certain there would be plenty of B grade yet good product that I would let go for free to my old patients.

I'm not seeing an application anywhere for the Micro Grow, nor any rules for it or timeline to apply.

Last edited:

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
If you don't have a card or a rec license etc...is there a limit on how many plants you can have in veg? I currently have over 40 different cuts. I have no issue sticking to the plant count, but I would like to be able to keep all my different plants without worrying about violating local laws. I'd rather avoid the medical program if possible as I'd just be growing for myself and for seed production.

Sluicebox

As a residential address you are allowed 4 total in or out of veg. As a grower for medical that is different. If you become a medical grower for your self you could keep all those plants. However that is only my understanding of current law.

PDX Dopesmoker

I'm fairly certain a non-cardholder is allowed at their residence a limit of four flowering plants and unlimited nonflowering plants and/or moistened seeds. The purchase limit at a dispensary for a non-cardholder is 4 plants in a non-flowering state and that might also be a public possession limit.

I

IndicaIsland

Oregon collects three times expected amount of recreational marijuana taxes

Oregon collects three times expected amount of recreational marijuana taxes

The state brought in $3.48 million from 253 registered dispensaries

Oregon brought in more than three times the expected amount of recreational marijuana tax money in the first month it was collected from dispensaries, *potentially moving up when the state distributes revenue to *cities and counties.

Officials estimated that January might bring in about $1 million in taxes, said Derrick *Gasperini, communications manager for the state Department of *Revenue. Figures released Wednesday by the department showed that the state collected $3.48 million in taxes for recreational marijuana sales in January. “It does exceed *projections,” he said.

As part of a startup year for a recreational marijuana industry in Oregon, dispensaries selling medical marijuana that registered with the department were allowed to sell to recreational buyers. The state requires those dispensaries to charge a 25 percent tax on recreational sales. Medical marijuana sales in Oregon remain untaxed.

That could mean that the tax figures indicate that *dispensaries around Oregon sold nearly $14 million worth of recreational marijuana in the first month of taxed sales, but Gasperini *cautioned that the estimation could be incorrect.

“The Department of Revenue is not going to make any statements on sales until we have some (tax) returns,” he said.

The returns will be submitted by dispensaries later this year.

Dispensaries around the state that sell recreational marijuana collected the taxes in January and gave them into the state between Feb. 1 and March 4, according to the Department of Revenue. The department received 253 tax payments from the 309 registered to sell *recreational marijuana that month in Oregon.

Gasperini explained that not all those registered turned in tax payments because “they may not have made any (recreational) sales,” he said.

Eugene alone has 25 dispensaries registered to sell recreational marijuana, according to the Oregon Health Authority.
http://www.oregonweed.xyz/?p=71

HorseMouth

Ok, getting ready to renew my license and the license of my patients and it looks like its shaking out like this.

I (as the grower) have to set up an account on an OMMP website were I will relay how I'm doing. Plant count, harvest numbers etc.

Through this account I will get bills ($200 / patient) where I will have to pay. Thinking about setting up a separate bank account for this.

I can still have 4 patients (including myself) and can have a total of 96 plants on the property. These plants can be in any stage of growth.

All this is supposed to be in effect on April 1st.

If I've missed something here, please educate me. I was thinking about the Grandfathering route, but It looks like I would still have to do all these anyway.

I've been in the same spot for 10 years.

Peace

R

Robrites

Ok, getting ready to renew my license and the license of my patients and it looks like its shaking out like this.

I (as the grower) have to set up an account on an OMMP website were I will relay how I'm doing. Plant count, harvest numbers etc.

Through this account I will get bills ($200 / patient) where I will have to pay. Thinking about setting up a separate bank account for this.

I can still have 4 patients (including myself) and can have a total of 96 plants on the property. These plants can be in any stage of growth.

All this is supposed to be in effect on April 1st.

If I've missed something here, please educate me. I was thinking about the Grandfathering route, but It looks like I would still have to do all these anyway.

I've been in the same spot for 10 years.

Peace
OMMP? That's 24 plants a patient? Seems high.

EDIT
Looks like the total plants can be 96 depending on location, grandfather status and number of patients. With 4 patients I think 24 is the max.

https://public.health.oregon.gov/Di...MedicalMarijuanaProgram/Pages/faq-hb3400.aspx

Q: Why is OHA limiting the number of plants at a grow site?

A: House Bill 3400 established maximum plant counts at grow site addresses. OHA’s rules simply implement the law the Legislature put in place in Section 82 of House Bill 3400.

Q: How many plants am I allowed to grow?

A: Under House Bill 3400, a grower can have 6 plants per patient. However, how your grow site is zoned (residential or outside city limits) determines the plant limits at the address of the grow site.

Plant limits are as follows:​​

• 12 mature plants if the grow site is within city limits and zoned residential
-- OR --
  • 48 mature plants if the grow site is within city limits but not zoned residential, or not within city limits

Q: May I grow more than 12 or 48 plants?

A: If your grow site meets the requirements for grandfathering, you may submit a grandfathering petition to OHA. If your petition is approved, you will be notified of your plant limits, which may be: 24 plants if the grow site is within city limits and zoned residential; or up to 96 plants if the grow site is within city limits but not zoned residential, or not within city limits.

Q: If I am zoned residential outside of city limits, what are my plant limits?

A: From 48 up to 96 plants, depending on grandfathering status.

Q: How do I find out how my grow site address is zoned?

A: Contact your local city or county planning office.

HorseMouth

OK,

Non-City Limit, 48 Mature Plants. That's what I'm shooting for.

But what about Vegging/ or Non Mature plants. There has to be an allowance for those. I was hoping to at least have some Mom's/clones.

Grandfather clause wont apply I never grew that many plants. $200 grower fee isn't too bad a hit, could be a lot worse.

At what point will it be worth to grow 4 Personal plants at 8 LBs. each and call it good?

Peace

R

Robrites

Come on Guys! (and all 3 chicks on the Mag) Put your mouth where your money is!

Come on Guys! (and all 3 chicks on the Mag) Put your mouth where your money is!

We the People of the state of Oregon were assured that the passage of M-91 would not effect nor amend our current OMMA legislation.

The text of measure, covering Measure 91, specifically reads:

"Sections 3 to 70 of this Act shall be known and may be cited as the Control, Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana and Industrial Hemp Act.

Under SECTION 4. Limitations. Sections 3 to 70 of this Act may not be construed to: (7) To amend or affect in any way the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act"

We the people are watching as state lawmakers are systematically dissolving the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program one right at a time. Each change is to the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act is a change undermining citizens voices. We voted for a fair and just legalization act that respected the rights of Medical Marijuana Patients state-wide.

Every change that has been made to the program is a change made illegally. Every change that makes the program more inaccessible and unaffordable to Oregonians is a step closer to the end of Medical Marijuana access in Oregon for over 113,582 medical marijuana card holders currently registered.

Without the OMMP program, every individual under the age of 21 loses the right to utilize cannabis as a treatment for their personal disease process. There are hundreds of registered medical marijuana cardholders that are under the legal age for access to cannabis.

Without access to the OMMP program, not only do minor patients lose safe access, their parents also lose immunity from persecution and prosecution. Measure 91 was not meant to criminalize the most fragile and innocent citizens of our state.

Sign the petition here https://www.change.org/p/kate-brown-amend-the-oregon-medical-marijuana-act-into-the-oregon-constitution