What's new

The Official MMA Discussion

NateDizz

Well it will be a lot better night April 24. Now that's going to be good fight.

I second that. I think WEC 48 is easily the best card of the year so far. Alot of people are complaining about it being a PPV and they won't buy it, and yeah it does suck that it's usually free but this time it's not, but it's such a nice card. Like always, I can't say enough good things about the WEC.

Aldo -vs- Faber is tremendous. Brown -vs- Gamburyan is one of the better fights so far this year too. And then lots more quality in Yahya -vs- Mizugaki, Banuelos -vs- Jorgensen, and Henderson -vs- Cerrone. STACKED.

Anyone following Bellator this year? I havn't caught the first couple of events but I'm definitely aiming to catch Dan Hornbuckle's bout tomorrow.

Been pretty busy lately, starting a new job and all kinds of other shit so I havn't caught Strikeforce Nashville yet but I've read about it. I'm glad that Melendez got the W. Curious to see the brawl.

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
Saturday night is the first time i am buying a PPV fight that I really don't mine paying. It is going to be the fight of the New Year. Aldo Vs. Faber and also every other fights on the card.
Is anyone going to do something here like the last time?

Last edited:

dbuzz

Veteran
garcia vs jung has been awesome. i'm gonna load up sopcast after this and see if it's streaming there. usually is...

but where has our staple nicoli been? :D

Grendelkhan

Go Faber! Sacramento in the house!
Looking forward to a great night of fights. Hope this event is better than the last couple of big MMA events as they have down right sucked. Love these lighter weight fighters, tons of energy and awesome technique.

NateDizz

The invincible aura of Fedor is now gone. Easily the greatest heavyweight of all time and arguably the greatest fighter to ever compete (yet), period. It had to end at some point but I'm surprised it did last night, especially the way it did. Werdum was being criminally overlooked but I still thought Fedor was going to win. I was fully expecting it to go the distance. A huge upset.

He's not done yet though - he'll be a top guy for awhile, probably until he choses to end his career. It was a quick fight - he got over-confident when Werdum went down and jumped right into his game. The guy is a former world champion. If they fought again - I would still pick Fedor. However I don't think he'll be able to reclaim that #1 spot without somehow getting a UFC contract - which before this fight was looking nearly impossible and now looks even bleaker.

It's too bad that he's gonna get shit all over by so many MMA fans now though because of the UFC's influence. I can picture Dana now claiming that Fedor was beat by a UFC reject even though Werdum never got the boot - he walked away on his own. Now all the Lesnar over-hype is gonna be unbearable. Should only last about a week though until Carwin makes him give up and tap. (Hopefully anyways.. I'm wrong as much as I am right, hah)

It'll be nice to see Akiyama get back into the cage next week too after such a long layoff even if it is against Leben.

Peace fellas.

Texicannibus

noob
Veteran
Obviously he underestimated Werdum from what I have read or thought he had him hurt when he jumped ontop. Regardless it just goes to show in a fight anyone can win.

NateDizz

No doubt tex'bus. I don't know of any other sport that produces so many upsets. There are just so many variables and it only takes a blink of an eye for any match to change.

Texicannibus

noob
Veteran
I think Brock gonna get knocked out by Carwin but I am like you Nate I am wrong atleast as much as I am right. Wich keeps things interesting. In the world of fighting anything can happen... imagine the craziness of brock submitting Carwin... impossible? nah unlikely ... sure... but so was Fedor being submitted by Werdum lol.

The last ppv ufc was great. I loved the heart exhibited by several of the fighters. Come back wins all night long. I thought the stoppage was just in the Condit fight. I was totally shocked by Greg Jackson's demeanor during the break between rounds 2 and 3. It seemed to make all the difference as Condit came out like a wild man and put a ass kicking on that kid. I love Condit's aggressive style from the bottom. The post fight interview made it sound like the kid thought Condit was dominating him the whole fight. I had it close but most had the kid ahead the first 2 rounds. The main event was fairly good as Rich worked his game plan perfectly. He waited for chuck to get overly aggressive wich he always does at the end of rounds and capatilized. Chuck really is done I believe I like the guy think hes been great for the sport but everyone has a sunset not everyone can be Randy Couture. Impressive that Rich was able to keep his composure with the broken arm. I thought it was a good night of fights and Im really looking forward to the Lesnar Carwin fight.

NateDizz

Gotta agree with you on Chuck being done. His loss to Rua put me on the fence but the influx of talent at 205 is what really sealed the deal for me. I was hoping that when Tito pulled out of their fight that Chuck's fight would be cancelled entirely or Tito would be replaced with an absolute nobody. When I saw that Rich was stepping up I knew it would be a bad night for Chuck. To think that he's taking positives from that fight and considering continuing to fight is pretty scary. I wish the UFC would step up and refuse him a fight before it's too late. It's clear his head is all fucked up. Franklin on the other hand has alot of options and intriguing match-up possibilities for his next fight. The timing would work for a guy like Ryan Bader and I think it makes alot of sense for both men.

And you made alot of great points about Condit too. He was definitely not winning that fight but then put it all together and ran with it like he does in the 3rd. I don't know how much weight it holds, but I've heard either Condit or Martin Kampmann are being eyed as Dan Hardy's next opponent.

The fight that really surprised me was the one I was most looking forward to - Thiago -vs- Kampmann. I really thought that Thiago would put Kampmann away but no dice.

Styles P

regardless of him losing the fight hes still 31-1 and brock is 3-1. fedor is still amazing i had a bad feeling about the fight before it started the way the commentators were jinxing him.

HookaHittaH

I agree fedor is a great fighter, I still put him higher than brock. Fedor rushed in too quick. If you see the replay of the fight none of those punches were straight shots. They were all glancing blows. He was not hurt and caught fedor simple as that. I see fedor coming back, I just wish it were in the ufc to smash brock..

Texicannibus

noob
Veteran
Yea 205 is literally bursting with talent. Rich definately has a ton of options right now. The Bader fight would be a hard one I think on him. Ive not seen Rich fight a grinding wrestler with the power Bader has in his hands. I think Bader will be a real force to be reckoned with as he refines his MMA game. I hadnt heard chuck was considering fighting still guess rich didnt knock any sense into him...