What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
the first just shows how they nest and look assembled. i usually water the perlite with approx 100 ppm. let excess drain out of interior container, then put some clean solution in the bottom. be sure to pack the medium down well around the clone and leave an air gap above water level below interior container.

i leave the top on as a humidity dome 3 days before opening the first time. 4th day air 15 min, 5th 30min, 6th 45min, 7th 1 hr, 8th 1:30, 9th 2 hrs, 10th off.

they are under two 42 watt daylight cfl's. temp 75-80.

the 2nd pic is one 3 weeks old, fully rooted, look at the color. root city

3 is one hardening off under the big light before transplant. take off the res, pull out the wick, water full strength (clones only) you will fry a seedling.

4 has nothing to do with cloning. it's my new isis seedling. my first seed in 5 yrs. i'm so proud!

Last edited:

boxmunch9

d9 i doing a hempy set u with vertical lights as well. i veg for about 6 weeks in those coco husks, then transplant into 5gallong buckets , but i leave about 60% of the husk out of the 5 gallon. i use the 50/50 coco to perlite.

I'm liking those 10gallong buckets. did you see a big increase with the switch to the larger pots? i fitted my buckets with 1in ebb n flow drain and put a one inch elbow on it so it spills out at 2inchs.

it doesnt look like your hole is that high up the side, is that because you like to water more often or because the container is soo large

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, boxmunch9

i haven't whacked one in a 10 gal yet as i'm in the middle of a changeover. everything takes me 16 weeks to prove. 5 more weeks to first one.

the top of the overflow/drain is set at 1 1/2" because i like to water too much. i can go 2 days though with no problems.

good luck

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
this is the last, i promise

this is the last, i promise

i just wanted people who are having trouble cloning to see an easy very successful method. this scales up well. i've got ones i built for two at a time. and back when i was sogging and needed shitpiles of clones i would do 24 at a time in the same one. just go to wally's and find two the right size that nest, have an air space between them, and have clear tops.

this last sequence shows another reason this works so good for me. i don't take wimpy clones. it's a waste of time. you are growing a very valuable plant no matter how you measure it, you should use first class cuts.

this is my idea of what a clone candidate looks like.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
well 2 pics didn't upload. probably operator error. i'll try it again

as you can see, total finished size is around 5". the bottom cut was made just below a node

well, that's really all folks

Last edited:

Ipsissimus

delta great tip on the fittings, I'll keep that in mind! Since you have all those attachments, why not connect them all together and have an empty bucket as your control? then you could water them all at once. to test the ec/ph, you could pick the empty bucket up and down, using gravity exchange the water. i like hempy style though because I like not worrying about the ec/ph!

edit - with connected buckets, you would want the connection as low to the bottom as possible, not at one inch+. The water level is set in the controller bucket, just fill to the desired height.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hi, Ipsissimus

hi, Ipsissimus

hooked together you lose plant mobility, which i must have. i need to be able to pull them away from the wall, turn them , and push them back to get 8-10" from the lights. once a week they get moved to a new position in the room in order to take advantage of the light arrangement. also to raise a bucket up and down means that my containers need to be at least 14" off the floor. in the summer i have to have them on the concrete to keep the root zone temps where i want them. 1 bucket will not even come close to the amount of water i would use. i'm using 16 to 20 gals per day. and i water 5 in veg with one solution, 5 in preflower another, 5 in flower yet another, and one flushed. on top of that, 2 in preflower are in veg area and 3 are in the flower area. it could be done but i've run rdwc, e&f, and drip before and prefer mobility. as complicated and laborious as this sounds, i'm very organized. all 3 mixing containers are lined up in another room next to a bench with ferts and possible additives. i have a switch fired mag-drive 950 on a 3/4" inch hose with a diffuser wand. my ferts are all premeasured and can just be dumped in and stirred with a canoe paddle. i've timed the whole daily plant maintenance sequence and i can open the flower room, turn all plants 1/3 of a turn and give them about 40 seconds each in less than 20 min. i do my plant shaping during veg in mid day, that takes about 5 min or less. all in all, trimming, prepping containers, cloning, pruning, and watering are less than 16 hours a week. not a bad gig. i enjoy the time i spend with my plants so it's a labor of love. later on

D

Dalaihempy

:yeahthats

I was wondering

1: can I start out in small dixie cups of soil and then transplant to a hempy bucket
2: for every "gallon of bucket" how much gallons of nutrient solution are you pouring into the top every day when running 100% perlite.:yeahthats

Transplanting will shock the plants your best off starting them in the bucket you plan to harvest in you can find the plants needing a week to get over the transplant alone if not longer.

You only water them daily at the start only untill the plant starts to grow roots and sends then down tawards the rez basicly as soon as you see some growth water as they need not daily.

Read my post at the start of the post all you need is there.

Heres a tip for you guys you can fill 20 gal buckets and use 50 gal but there is a reson why i gave you all a basic formula trust me the diffrence you achive from say a 10 liter bucket and 20 liter is minimal if any if i can achive a pound or well over cured from a plant over and over in a 10 liter bucket cured why waste all the medium if you do things right trust me 10 liter is all you need a 1 gal bucket 4 liters will still give you good resolts but one you need to be running if you want good yields is 10 liters basicly 2 gal and with a plant say 7 ft with holding say 19 oz cured of flower in the middle of summer with out side temps of say 45c only needs to be waterd daily ever 2 days max in winter less.

L

lysol

Great, I did something similar with a recycling bin but I did 50 / 50 soil / perlite, it worked really well, that was 12 gallons. I will find some 2 gallon buckets and give it a whirl, sounds a lot more efficient and less disaster prone than DWC.

What about packing peanuts at the bottom for the rez? More "pore" space than perlite

gioiapura

Hi all! i'm new here....nuff respect to the almighty Hempy Bucket techinque!!
i'm starting a hempy grow with a mix of 50 perlite/50 hidroton in 15L buckets, could you guys tell me if i need to lower the hole a bit or the 2" rule is still good for this kind of medium?
Maybe i need more than one hole?
Also what is your idea about a 50perlite/50 hidroton clay?

Thanks to Dalayhempy to make our life a bit easier!

Last edited:
D

Dalaihempy

What about packing peanuts at the bottom for the rez? More "pore" space than perlite

Hi lysol no need perlite or the other mediums work fine the only time you need to fill rez erea with something other than the medium your mostly useing is when you use coco core then you need to fill the rez with perlite or clay rocks even coco bark would work but you only need to do it to allow the coco core to work as it should becouse if you fill the bucket from rez to top with coco core it will remain to wet and wont drain as it should and by filling the bottom 2 inchs or the internal rez with corse medium like perlite or glay rocks so on it allows the coco to drain as coco wicks.

D

Dalaihempy

Hi all! i'm new here....nuff respect to the almighty Hempy Bucket techinque!!
i'm starting a hempy grow with a mix of 50 perlite/50 hidroton in 15L buckets, could you guys tell me if i need to lower the hole a bit or the 2" rule is still good for this kind of medium?
Maybe i need more than one hole?
Also what is your idea about a 50perlite/50 hidroton clay?

Thanks to Dalayhempy to make our life a bit easier!

That should be fine the hole is there for one reson and one reson alone thats to keep the internal rez at a max level if you water past that point it will just drain out untill that point agine.

Never used perlite and hidroton clay togeather should work tho but have used hidroton clay by its self worked fine and you can re use it after but its work to clean my pick for medium as in i saw the best resolts were perlite / vermic or perlite and or coco wich im realy likeing alot been useing it for about a year now.

gioiapura

thanks for your reply and we'll see how is doing with this kind of medium...experiments are a big part of my life and i will start with a higher perlite ratio for the first buckets like 70 perlite/30 hidroton to see how it is..to allow the perlite wick effect to work properly.
I really prefer some cleaning work than buy huge quantities of medium everytime i start a grow room.
I will keep you updated with this experiment and again thanks for your effort in sharing with the community this simple and effective system!!

knowledge must be free....f**k copyright!

bostrom155

I started a few hempy's in 2L coke bottles with the top cut off. I'm doing just perlite. I grow in soil and use the lift the pot method to tell if i need to water. With hempy's can i use this method, or do i just water/feed like clockwork no matter how heavy the bucket. Thanks

L

lysol

Like clock work because that hole in the side is supposed to keep the rez at the right level, if you don't then the TDS in the bottom rez will climb and PH could go out of wack. Pouring the new water re-aerated the water at the bottom.

( I've never tried this but just answering from common sense ). Hopefully someone can confirm this

N

noone4u

how is this a hydro setup? seems like an everyday soil type setup to me where the soil is subd with perlite.

someone please educate me on this.

BabyGreen

Hey Hempy, how u doin man? Im delighted ive managed to track u down! hope u dont mind me posting for help. I'm totally new to the whole growing game, a complete 100% novice, this is my first attempt at a grow. I've done a good bit of reading on various sites, read a good few of ur posts, u know your stuff man and you seem really helpfull which is great anyways as i said im just starting out. I came across a few posts about the Hempy Bucket, I'm just looking for a wee bit of advice, well to be honest I'm really looking for a big bit of help lol if you could answer me a few questions it would be very much appreciated. I got myself a grow tent (165cm W x 65cm D x 160cm H) a 600w light, a desktop fan n some plants n seedlings. The seedlings are currently in soil. Do you think i would be able to replant them stright into perlite in a 14ltr bucket? I've attatched a few pics for you to see what you think man. The plants in the big black pots (14ltr bucket) where originally in soil, but i replanted them in 100% perlite for a hempy grow. n the other plants have a mix of soil n perlite. Do you think this will be ok?
This way sounds amazingly effective with great results, n best of all, fool proof, exactly what im after lol.
I got myself general hydro nutes (flora n bloom) Ive read tht i dont need the flora grow, do u think i will need to get some?
All the info on growing using the hempy method seems to be out there, but how much nutes do i mix in with my water n how often to i water a 15ltr tub? n how much water n nutes do i put in a 15 ltr tub filled with just perlite? I've seen a few posts but to be honest when guys start talking about ppm n stuff like that i get lost, i have read up on it but i'd just like it to be kept simple!
Theres so much i wana ask n find out, but i dnt wana be a pain in the ass! But i really wana get started n need sum major help!
I think the main thing i really wana know is how often to water and how much to water? how much nutes to mix in etc..
Any replies would be greatly apprecited
Just dnt wna fuck up, wna grow sum good stuff, n a promise to keep u updated n post pics
Sorry about writing a fucking book lol but i really do need the help!
Big big respect to u Hempy, a real Legend my friend :D
Over n out,
BG
tried attatching pics but wouldt let me man!