What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
noone4u- it's hydro b/c the nutrients used are in the water. The medium should be inert whereas with soil the soil will hold the nutrients. To me...it's an easier setup to run. I currently run an ebb & flow for veggies as well as waterfarms for veggies...I know you can get great results with either of those methods but there are more risks involved with parts malfunctioning and more energy consumed. The hempy bucket has no moving parts and its hard to get wrong. It's cheaper and it works.

smokinsho-if those bottles are clear, you may run in to some problems with your roots with light getting to them. I had to paint a few containers black to prevent the algae from growing on the roots.

BabyGreen

hi guys, im just starting out, my first grow, gona try a hempy with 100% perlite, got some seedlings and im ready to go, found the lucas formula, got tht sorted...
only thing im not to sure on is how much to water? im using 14 ltr buckets (roughly 3 n a half gal) how much water do i put into these? n how often?
ive read everywer u water till it cums out the hole, but still not to sure how much to water lol sorry for sounding like a dumb ass lol but just wana kno,
any replies would be greatly appreciated
cheers guys :D

N

noone4u

noone4u- it's hydro b/c the nutrients used are in the water. The medium should be inert whereas with soil the soil will hold the nutrients. To me...it's an easier setup to run. I currently run an ebb & flow for veggies as well as waterfarms for veggies...I know you can get great results with either of those methods but there are more risks involved with parts malfunctioning and more energy consumed. The hempy bucket has no moving parts and its hard to get wrong. It's cheaper and it works.

smokinsho-if those bottles are clear, you may run in to some problems with your roots with light getting to them. I had to paint a few containers black to prevent the algae from growing on the roots.

thanks for the info dubwise :joint:

a6grow

1: can I start out in small dixie cups of soil and then transplant to a hempy bucket

Transplanting will shock the plants your best off starting them in the bucket you plan to harvest in you can find the plants needing a week to get over the transplant alone if not longer.

Hey guys, I read hempy's recommendation, and was real curious regarding lysol's question also. Basically I dont have any access to rockwool/jiffy 7 pellets/rapid rooters, or anything of that sort to start my seeds off in. My previous attempts at hempy, I used 16oz solo cups with 100% perlite from seed and plant/root growth was reaaaal slow. I looked at other grow logs, and ppl using rw/j7/rr had good root formation and plant development after just 1 or 2 weeks from seed, which is what I am after.

Anyways, my question is, would it help in my situation with regards to root formation + plant development to start off in a soil cup and then carefully transplant the seedling (along with the soil) into my final hempy container? I was planning to use a transparent plastic cup and soil filling the bottom 1/3 to sort of mimic a jiffy 7. I was not planning on rinsing off the soil in fear of shock/stress and the related downtime...

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
it is certainly ok to start clones and seedlings in smaller containers and then transplant them the one time to the larger container. that is the way most people have to do it as they usually don't have the space to clone or start seeds in larger containers. i transplant my clones at around 6 to 8" to whatever they are going to live in for life. i clone in perlite and transplant into the same medium. when i used turface all the time i did the same thing. there is virtually no transplant shock or slowdown of any kind. they are already under strong light (1k hortilux) and on full strength nutes. they just take off.

they last time i looked hempy was using little rockwool cubes to get the roots started and then putting them into the main grow container.

it looks like there is some confusion here. in soil sometimes people pot "up" several times to "train" roots. i can also understand people wanting to save floor space by using smaller containers initially but transplanting larger plants does damage them and can cause slowdowns in growth. i can't speak for hempy but it looks like that is what he was referring to.

and about seeds. i have always started mine in worm castings. little 3 oz cups with a hole cut in the bottom so they drain properly.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
speaking of small containers....I've got a few ladies in flower right now....a few are in 12oz. cups and had a 1 week veg. time. For the sake of testing...I'm going to transplant all but one or two in to larger containers for the remainder of flowering. I should be able to tell what kind of yield and what kind of issues (root bound, etc..) I may see in the smaller containers. All of these plants are cuttings of off a decent yielding mama.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
my buckets that I had to paint were yellow, and when I transplanted into larger containers there was a small amount of green algae on the walls of the container. After painting the buckets black and planting the next batch....no more algae. I bet the green bottles would allow less then a clear container.

D

Dalaihempy

hi all look the algies basicly the nutrients reacting to the lite i have seen it form with in the bucket wall on white buckerts that were old but its not a big deal well was never for me.

Well i do use rock wool starters or coco starters for cloneing and or starting seeds off and then put them into the bucket they will be harvested in fact if you guys can do it as you like transplant 4 x before the main bucket for all i cear but the fact is they will suffer transplanting be it slow down for a few days at the best or completly shoke them and slow them down for a week or more your call i have sugested what i do.

As for watering i would advice you to water daily only to keep top later of medium from drying out and as you see the rooted clone or seedling show some growth then back it off as the plant has sent down roots tawards the rez were the medium is moist even if top is dry.

As they grow you will get an idear how much to water a simple way is to just lift the bucket just of the ground if its lite water if its not leve it and in no time you will have it down and know its not hard guys just some common sence.

D

Dalaihempy

Time for a little passive hydro history! I grow with this method of passive hydroculture and have done quite a bit of research on the history of it. It is generally agreed that variations of this technique have been used for thousands of years, but it is not my intent here to cover all the possible instances of it's use in ancient history, most of which cannot be absolutely verified. I am primarily focused on relatively recent instances of it's use utilizing modern materials and nutrients. So, to that end, I offer the first documented instance in modern times that uses plastic or plastic lined containers with a hole in the sidewall creating an internal reservoir, using an inert medium, and modern nutrient formulas.

Www.simplyhydro.com/growing_your_own_food.htm

This article quite clearly states that this lady used this method for growing food in 1969. She is now a very respected hydroponic researcher and teacher who has dedicated her efforts to help people everywhere learn to grow their own food and herbs. Here are more links to her work.

Www.carbon.org/microfarms/peggy.htm

www.cityfarmer.org/hydroponicsBradley.html

also, see the www.carbon.org front page if you are interested in a short course in passive hydroculture.

I have now grown plants using this technique for several years. I have tried turface, turface and perlite, perlite and vermiculite, perlite and coco coir, and just plain perlite. Ms. Bradley states that she originally used straight perlite for years but that she now prefers 50/50 perlite and coco. In third world areas where people do not have access to or money for marketed growing media, she has used small lava rock (under 10 mm) and rice husks with success. She recommends red lava rock only as the black rock has too much iron.

This method is frequently employed in israel and other drought ridden middle eastern countries as it is quite conservative in it's use of water. At first glance “drain to waste” sounds as if it uses large amounts of water. I submit to you that it is more conservative of water than most active hydroponic systems, where you have to do frequent add backs and change outs. And, passive hydroponics is much more conservative of water than growing in soil. This method is also used in china, the philipines, central and south america, and africa as it allows persons with limited resources to reliably grow much of their own food in limited spaces, such as rooftops, patios, and backyards.

A discussion of passive hydroculture as it pertains to the cannabis community would be remiss if the name Hempy did not come up. Hempy has been using this technique for years. But, more importantly, hempy is the one who brought this method to the online community. For years he took a lot of grief about it, mostly from people who thought that this would not work. These same people refused to try it, for they were so sure of themselves. Well, as thousands of people now know, it works and works well. Hempy has done more to get new people successfully growing their own medicine than anyone else I can think of. It is through the political power of large numbers that we will eventually see progress in changing unfair and repressive laws. The more who grow, the faster we get relief. Later, delta9nxs

Hi delta9nxs i found this post of yours rather intresting time to replie to this as im so tierd of it.

All this shit started over at docs and honestly you dont think others in this community have not seen it to well they have many infact.

Im not going to be an ass hole here as 2 rongs make no right but do you know how many people had probs with there grow or had complet grows fail becouse of bad info you or your mates gave from that post over at docs you have to have some clue im sure.

You my friend have that on your conscience not me you also stoped useing turface i see.

Heres the history of my method even tho i have posted it over and over.

In the mid 80s i thort to try hydro and at the time there was no hydroponic stores here well i could find so i did some research and found a hydro company that supplied farmers greenhouses so on and they also had kits for the home it was an aquaponic tomato kit it was 2ft long 1ft wide and ruffly 6 inches tall with a drail hole on the bottom say 1/2 centimeter from the bottom.

I saw how good plants grew in it so i started to experiment with different tubs and buckets different shapes sizes and different size internal rez hights by drilling the drain hole at different hights and came up with what people call the hempy bucket over time.

The reason i know there was no other method like it was because people laft at me when i told them about the method people in the hydro industries.

The first person i told was the person who i first got my aquponic kit from who first started a hydroponic company in 1969 that was doing research and development from 1969 the guy has 5 or more books out on hydroponics or more he has many science degrees and he sed it would not work then for years when i would bring it up when in other hydro stores i would get basically laft out of the stores so if it was around i would of been told not laft at as i was.

I can easly prove all this as fact but i realy dont cear to fact is in 2002 when i first started to post this at CW Cannabis World many laft at me up untill i started to post pictures then the larfing stoped.

And CW was full of growers from all over the world infact some of the best growers so no offence mate but this shit needs to stop.

I dont know what it is with you delta9nxs but the shit that started over at docs needs to die and die here you are welcome to post here as is every one but dont try and make me look bad or try and distort facts.

no0dlemice

Hi delta9nxs i found this post of yours rather intresting time to replie to this as im so tierd of it.

All this shit started over at docs and honestly you dont think others in this community have not seen it to well they have many infact.

Im not going to be an ass hole here as 2 rongs make no right but do you know how many people had probs with there grow or had complet grows fail becouse of bad info you or your mates gave from that post over at docs you have to have some clue im sure.

You my friend have that on your conscience not me you also stoped useing turface i see.

In the mid 80s i thort to try hydro and at the time there was no hydroponic stores here well i could find so i did some research and found a hydro company that supplied farmers greenhouses so on and they also had kits for the home it was an aquaponic tomato kit it was 2ft long 1ft wide and ruffly 6 inches tall with a drail hole on the bottom say 1/2 centimeter from the bottom.

I saw how good plants grew in it so i started to experiment with different tubs and buckets different shapes sizes and different size internal rez hights by drilling the drain hole at different hights and came up with what people call the hempy bucket over time.

The reason i know there was no other method like it was because people laft at me when i told them about the method people in the hydro industries.

The first person i told was the person who i first got my aquponic kit from who first started a hydroponic company in 1969 that was doing research and development from 1969 the guy has 5 or more books out on hydroponics or more he has many science degrees and he sed it would not work then for years when i would bring it up when in other hydro stores i would get basically laft out of the stores so if it was around i would of been told not laft at as i was.

I can easly prove all this as fact but i realy dont cear to fact is in 2002 when i first started to post this at CW Cannabis World many laft at me up untill i started to post pictures then the larfing stoped.

And CW was full of growers from all over the world infact some of the best growers so no offence mate but this shit needs to stop.

I dont know what it is with you delta9nxs but the shit that started over at docs needs to die and die here you are welcome to post here as is every one but dont try and make me look bad or try and distort facts.

Hempy! I would like to Thank You for all the hard work and sharing your knowledge with everyone! Your method definitely has proved to be very successful and coming from a guy that's been growing using a Recirculating Deep Water Culture Method for the last 2 years This method is Great! even though im on my first hempy bucket and i think i fed my 1 test plant way too much nutes (3-2-1 General Hydroponics in veg @ 2.7EC) i think it'll pull through hopefully haha i know this method is a LOT more forgiving than RDWC!

dewey

wow reply from my hero Hempy himself.
Hempy buckets are all i use and im so glad he gave more details on that tomato hydro kit that inspired him.
Just made up a bunch of new ones (buckets with the proverbial hole)
They have always worked fantastic for me on all varieties so a personal thank you sir for the inspiration and great dead simple idea

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hempy:

D9 :What specifically in this post is not accurate? And exactly what in it do you find offensive?

Hempy:

D9: I don't even understand this sentence but if you are referring to my thread at hg*** all I was trying to do was show an alternative medium, which many there had asked me to do. At no point was I disrespectful or rude. I also never advised people to use my method over yours. I started another thread out of consideration for you as I didn't want to hijack your thread. As this thread is not yours that doesn't apply here.

Hempy:

D9:
I had no “mates” advocating or proselytizing for me there. I spoke for myself only. But I have never advised there or here that people not use your method. In fact, I have repeatedly advised new growers to follow your advice to the letter, and still do. More experienced folks don't need my advice. I was asked here to show how I grow. That I have done. I really do grow exactly as I have shown. I really do average around 10oz per plant. I have shared this with a few who are interested in an effort to help. I have not seen any of your 16oz plants in 2 gal containers. I'm sure everyone would like to see how a master gardener does it. Please put up some photos for the folks.

Hempy:

D9:
The only thing I have on my conscience is the satisfaction I receive by giving back to the grow community that has helped me so much over the years. As far as turface is concerned I just ended a 8 month experiment with perlite during which I went through 12 four cubic foot bags , and, although I grew some nice plants with it, I am going back to turface. In fact, yesterday I transplanted a clone into a passive device filled with 100% turface. It is not a “hempy” style container. I will do a thread on it here at icmag soon.

Hempy:

D9:
No one disputes this, so why the hangup? Mid 80's, right?

Hempy:

D9:
You did read the first link in my post above? The fifth paragraph from the bottom clearly states that she was using this method back in 1969, which, from your writings, I figure is about the time you were busy being born. Even she admits she did not invent the technique. As far as credibility is concerned, this lady's is not only intact, it is universally accepted by professionals in the hydro industry. She wrote that article originally for maximum yield magazine. She has helped poor people all over the world grow food using this technique. Go to these links. Send her an e-mail. Verify. It is the exact same method.

Hempy:

D9: I believe you

Hempy:

D9: I believe you

Hempy:

D9: again, i'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean. Specifically, what shit are you talking about?

Hempy:

D9 Which facts specifically have I tried to distort? Please show me where I have tried to make you “look bad”.I started no shit over at “docs”. All the hating, name calling, and threats were started by your little army of “hempy henchmen”, all the posting under multiple names was by these same people. If you remember I refused to deal with them. Remember “oliver cromwell” putting up those pictures of a so-called failed turface effort. Those pictures are here on icmag today in the plant infirmary. They were here before I ever posted on hg***. I can document this if you like as I saved all the bs that went on on both threads. I have used the same handle since I began posting back on og and have never treated anyone badly or disrespectfully, anywhere, anytime, period. I love people and believe in them. I think everyone has something to offer.

I've completely recovered from my liver transplant, I don't have terminal cancer anymore and feel great, thanks for asking. I just want to give something back to the community.

You really should just relax and have a good time. You'll be a lot happier. Pot heads are usually fairly mellow people. You are so full of negativity, resentment, and insecurity. Your statements are an obvious attempt to compensate. you cannot measure yourself by comparing yourself to others.
Later on, best wishes, delta9nxs

ps, love you

M

mrdizzle

interesting turn in the thread but i still want to share

i just set up a drip line on my 50/50 coco perlite hempy's and woooooow life is sweet. I fill up my 44gall res, mix nutes, turn on the pump and watch them get watered. as soon as one starts to dribble out i turn it off, usally using around 30galls, then the next two days i finish off that remaing 14gal in that res with turning the pump on for about 2 mins a day, then fill res with water the next feeding, feed them for the next two days, then start over. Im not even cleaning up the runoff because the drip is soo slow that the coco fully wicks the water as its feed, and the tiny bit of run off is gone in a couple hours.
the coco loves being slightly moist all the time, but not wet

Love hempys, I even talked my girl into doing them on a 4x8 table, water them every other day, with drip lines in 2 gal buckets.

my 5 run with hempy's and a slow drip line makes life better

bostrom155

yea interesting indeed, i've been reading other threads on hempy buckets. i think daliahempy is really Jekyll n Hyde Hempy. this guy is a basket case. But all that said, thank you hempy for inventing perlite and buckets, and putting the two together.

D9 thanks for sharing all your info it is a great help
Hempy you dont need anyones help in making you look bad you achieve that with every other post or so.

D

Dalaihempy

yea interesting indeed, i've been reading other threads on hempy buckets. i think daliahempy is really Jekyll n Hyde Hempy. this guy is a basket case. But all that said, thank you hempy for inventing perlite and buckets, and putting the two together.

D9 thanks for sharing all your info it is a great help
Hempy you dont need anyones help in making you look bad you achieve that with every other post or so.

See this is why you and many others in this community will get little more from me agine what i have all ready sheard is all you will get and its smart asses like you that realy sends this community backwards.

All i posted to delta9nxs is fact he can say do what ever he likes many people saw what went on over at docs and many people had probs with there plants and even lost complet grows so if you think thats something to just sweep under a rug be my gest but i dont forget.

Or will i remain quiet you have no idear who i am and what i know i have been nice and polite for most of my time in the on line community but i hate bull shit and liers and i reserve the right as i would expect any of you to deffent who you are and what you belive and stand for.

If you realy want im sure i have a lot of the doc bull shit saved in my archives i could search for it and post it from people who had grows go bad from bull shit advice you realy have no idear how i see red at people couseing others to have there grow fail from bad advice becouse they have a need to look importent i dont infact i dont give 2 shits about looking or feeling importent .

And for the record bostrom i have been helping newbies and other growers for many years before i loged into the online community and lots while in the on line community is it not what this is all about or we just here to pat ow selfs on the back and inflate ow egos some are but not me my plants speek valumes time people like you suck you heads in or add somethinmg constructive.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Leave what happend @ Docs with it now gone.

Hempy, with the most due respect, I will say that the one thing that most threads that you post in have in (edit: @ docs) common is the big fat lock in front of it.

I know that being as this is "the official Hempy Bucket thread" it couldnt be official w/o YOU, Sir. But can we please, PLEASE, mutha fukn PLEASE have a hempy thread where you're not trying to defend some shit.

Please, lets have a thread of LEARNING and not BICKERING, for once.

I have much love for Hemp and D9, and all the rest of you weed nerds.

can we now talk about the actual buckets themselves.

Peace
refer to sig

Q.

Last edited:

Vorsprung

can we now talk about the actual buckets themselves.

Q.

Put a hole in the bucket 2" up from bottom. That's about all there is to talk about buckets... thread could be over in one post.. LOL.

Carry on... I don't mind skimming drama (one can even learn something new from tangents) and think despite differences of opinion it's not bad for a little ping pong to occur once in a while. The is a forum thread, not a FAQ sheet. :2cents:

Now in terms of offering something constructive and moving forward. In my short span as a grower for my own medical consumption, I've always used soil and things have gone well. I decided, out of sheer boredom, to try something different and popped a couple beans in some rapid rooters which I've moved to styrofoam 'hempy' cups. Ho-lee-ish so far growth has been twice as fast as what I'm used to in soil. I'm stoked so far and can't wait to take through flower and really get some first hand experience with an entire hempy grow. I think I might switch over 100% as it's easier to reuse the perlite, the 2 part lucas formula is simple, and I don't have to worry about fungus gnats, disposing of soil, etc etc.

Hempyfan

I am beginning my grand adventure. Im going to be using fox farms nutes and only perlite as I cannot get vermiculite. I will consider using coco and perlite if necessary my next go around but since I am totally new at this and it seems coco may not be the best medium for a new grower. I am using 5 gallon pots and I know that 3 gallon size are preferred but 5 gallon is what I have.

I am starting from bag seed and just germinated with paper towel method.

My question is when should I start adding nutes and at what strength? Some say 1/4 strength some others say full strength. I am assuming I would do a full gallon and just water until the water comes out of the bottom?

Also, I am planning on placing the germinated seed in rockwool. Can I place these directly into the 5 gallon container and if so should I expect slow initial growth until the roots reach the bottom and if someone can ball park an opinion on how long it would take the roots to reach the bottom of a 5 gallon container.

I believe conditions should be about perfect otherwise.

Thanks and appreciation for any and all time and energies shared.

Latest posts

Latest posts