What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Slimm

Yes and ramp up the nutes sooner. I go off of rooting nutes and go to half strength veg nutes when it starts to consume the cotyledons, sometimes even earlier if they are looking like they can use it. If you wait until they are consumed you started the veg nutes too late.

Once you get the basics figured out you will find that hempies are easy and make growing fun.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Hey thin-that situation sucks. Here's what I've done and had some good results. I start my seeds directly in perlite/vermiculite mix (no rapid rooters, jiffy pucks or rockwool). Balanced water until the leaves start showing slight signs of degradation *usually a week for me* The seeds are started in 16oz. cups and when they're ready for nutrients they get moved into their final container (either a 2gal or 5 gal) and get quarter strength and built up to full strength. I had drooping leaves and all that mess you're talking about at first and it was due to overwatering and crazy temperature swings. I do use rapid rooters for my cuttings and they get a bit of a different watering schedule due to their retention. Hope this helps.

Beyond the basic original Hempy method here are a few tips for keeping it rolling:

If you are continually having difficulty revert to the basic original Hempy method exactly.

I always go from rooted cutting or 2nd leaf seedling to a conventional 3" pot with a quality soiless medium and half strength nutes for a week to 10 days. After 2-4 weeks they go in the hempy bucket. I always propagate in Rockwool as a preference.

I always water through with at least 4oz of run off. I always smell the run off. If it smells at all off its time to do a peroxide flush followed by a feeding. That off smell will always result in a problem with in a few days.

Always use high opacity containers or you can use krylon fusion paint to increase the opacity of your freebie restaurant buckets. Only paint the outside of the bucket. Remember light + roots + moisture = above stinky discharge and impending plant issues.

Always let the bucket go as close to dead dry as you can. Lifting the buckets and tilting them toward the drain are two methods of checking the reservoir for liquid.

Slimm

Beyond the basic original Hempy method here are a few tips for keeping it rolling:

If you are continually having difficulty revert to the basic original Hempy method exactly.

I always go from rooted cutting or 2nd leaf seedling to a conventional 3" pot with a quality soiless medium and half strength nutes for a week to 10 days. After 2-4 weeks they go in the hempy bucket. I always propagate in Rockwool as a preference.

I always water through with at least 4oz of run off. I always smell the run off. If it smells at all off its time to do a peroxide flush followed by a feeding. That off smell will always result in a problem with in a few days.

Always use high opacity containers or you can use krylon fusion paint to increase the opacity of your freebie restaurant buckets. Only paint the outside of the bucket. Remember light + roots + moisture = above stinky discharge and impending plant issues.

Always let the bucket go as close to dead dry as you can. Lifting the buckets and tilting them toward the drain are two methods of checking the reservoir for liquid.

This method requires regular flushing. I recommend you avoid letting the bucket go dry. Instead water with less water but more frequency. I water 4 times a day just until I see runoff coming out of all pots, then I stop the water - probably 30 seconds or so. It results in about 1/4 of the runoff I would look for if I was watering daily.

This does two things for you. First, each time you water you bring fresh oxygen into the medium. Secondly, because the pots do not get to dry out there is no salt build up in the medium.

This method requires regular flushing. I recommend you avoid letting the bucket go dry. Instead water with less water but more frequency. I water 4 times a day just until I see runoff coming out of all pots, then I stop the water - probably 30 seconds or so. It results in about 1/4 of the runoff I would look for if I was watering daily.

This does two things for you. First, each time you water you bring fresh oxygen into the medium. Secondly, because the pots do not get to dry out there is no salt build up in the medium.

An ideal situation, yes. Most of us don't have the time or opportunity to water 4 times a day. Plus that starts to take away from the simplicity of the hempy bucket ... at that point you might as well install an automatic drip system, no?

:dance013:

Not sure if I would agree that more frequent watering is a good thing. Especially when hand watering hempy's. I've had no issue with salt buildup causing problems but i have had problems with root rot when I over water and keep the res' full all the time. I water once every 3-4 days at full strength PBP nutes plus various goodies. Letting the res go close to dry brings plenty of air into the root zone hence rare occurrences of the anaerobic microbiology that causes root rot and rare occurrence of having to flush, say 1 bucket every fifth cycle. That said if you plants ain't dying then water away.

Slimm

An ideal situation, yes. Most of us don't have the time or opportunity to water 4 times a day. Plus that starts to take away from the simplicity of the hempy bucket ... at that point you might as well install an automatic drip system, no?

:dance013:

True. Remember though that the point was not that you must water 4 times a day or your plants will die - I only gave that as an example of how I do it. The point is that if you avoid letting hempies dry out you may be able to avoid regular flushing. If you can water more often then do.

As far as a drip system adding complexity. I added a simple drip system and it has been simplifying. My hempies are unmodified and still true to their original simple design. It's just how the water is delivered to the bucket that has changed. I have not knocked into anything watering since =)

Slimm

Not sure if I would agree that more frequent watering is a good thing. Especially when hand watering hempy's. I've had no issue with salt buildup causing problems but i have had problems with root rot when I over water and keep the res' full all the time. I water once every 3-4 days at full strength PBP nutes plus various goodies. Letting the res go close to dry brings plenty of air into the root zone hence rare occurrences of the anaerobic microbiology that causes root rot and rare occurrence of having to flush, say 1 bucket every fifth cycle. That said if you plants ain't dying then water away.

Are you supplying H2O2 to the root zone? That usually stops those kinds of things from happening. There is a in between point you do not want to be at. You either need to let the res dry or water frequently. If you water semi-frequently you can end up with rot. Organic nutrients will also cause these kinds of problems.

thizzness

Do any of you flush with h2o2 on a regular basis as a precaution? Also, how much h2o2 do you use per gallon? It's definitely something that I'll need to do since my buckets are semi-transparent and got really green and nasty during the last grow.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
Are you supplying H2O2 to the root zone? That usually stops those kinds of things from happening. There is a in between point you do not want to be at. You either need to let the res dry or water frequently. If you water semi-frequently you can end up with rot. Organic nutrients will also cause these kinds of problems.

I was thinking just add an air stone/diffuser to the res and problem solved, plus better/more vigorous growth from increased o2 levels in the root zone.

hempy's on steroids!!!!

Slimm

Do any of you flush with h2o2 on a regular basis as a precaution? Also, how much h2o2 do you use per gallon? It's definitely something that I'll need to do since my buckets are semi-transparent and got really green and nasty during the last grow.

Paint those buckets or wrap them in insulating bubble wrap.

H2O2 is an awesome tool in the grow room. I use it to keep the anaerobic microbes and pests from taking hold. 2 Tbsp H2O2 per gal when mixing nutrient solution. Every day the remaining solution is topped off with a Tsp per gal.

Slimm

I was thinking just add an air stone/diffuser to the res and problem solved, plus better/more vigorous growth from increased o2 levels in the root zone.

hempy's on steroids!!!!

Don't let Hempy hear you say that! :) There is no need for an air stone in classic hempies, however if you are prone to root problems an air stone can help.

Now, if you use any organics then an air stone is a must.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
Don't let Hempy hear you say that! :) There is no need for an air stone in classic hempies, however if you are prone to root problems an air stone can help.

Now, if you use any organics then an air stone is a must.

hahah funny you say that, cuz I just did and got into an argument with him and a few others over it.

I know there may not be a need for it, but who has actually done this??? Seems like it could be beneficial..

I cant seem to find any results on hempy buckets with air diffusers in the bottom, FML

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Man, someone earlier was talking about using an airstone in the hempy bucket and it sounded crazy to me at first, then the more I thought about it, I figured why not?
Lucky for me, I don't seem to have any root issues for me to put this into motion.
@slim-you add h2o2 every time you feed? I'm just curious about the frequency, I'd love to do a little side by side and see what happens.

D

Dalaihempy

You guys can do what ever you like but im honestly amazed any one would need to water more than 1 time a day the only time i water daily and with full strength nutrients if when i first put a seedling or freshly rooted clone into a hempy bucket is to avoid the top layer of the medium drying out as there roots are still to grow down and then when the plant is large and using it in short sucking the buckets rez dry and medium dry that's it.

In all the years i have used this method i have never ever seen root rot ever.

I have run my buckets dry and have had them remain wet nil probs.

The only time i ever feed my plants only water is when i start to flush or if im running a strain that hates feeding which are some sativas or heavy sativa expressive plants then i ether feed them 1/2 strength feeds or only water basically as the plant needs it and that's only as they sex or are in early flower.

If i ever watered my plants only water between feedings they would not like it only time they need flushing is if you have over feed them in short got the mix wrong but what do i know right lol fact is i have watered them only water between feeds because i had to be some were and came back the next day to see tip burn on the leaf because i didn't feed them that's what i saw from only feeding them water but you can do it as you like there your plants.

hahah funny you say that, cuz I just did and got into an argument with him and a few others over it.

No argument mate i just posted facts you got 4 oz a plant cured from 20 lt plus buckets you can improve on that yes no argument there from me or did i say you cant add an air stone i sed i had others say the same yet one of the branches on my plants had the same or more yield on it than there complete plant fact and im not here to stroke my ego im here to help those that want or need it and have since 2002 theirs a reason why i don't give to much more now days on the boards.

MeanGreen2010

NEED SUM ADVICE

NEED SUM ADVICE

hey all, i am new to the site and am a first time grower. i decided on the hempy method for ease of use and being able to have control. anyways. i had some complications and sum scheduling conflicts and had some questions. i am growing a strain called Himalayan Gold and some Big Bud XXL and am using 5 gallon buckets. i jiffy potted them on april 13th and transferred to 5 gallon hempy buckets on the 19th. i have been giving them distilled water only. no nutes yet. i bought the GH flora series that Hempy recommended. my question is basically how often should i water them in the 5 gallon buckets. i have 8 girls under a 400w MH. the top of the perlite/verm mixture gets dry, but if i stick my finger in it, it is moist about 4 inches down still. and my other question is when should i start them on nutes? they look good right now, although on a few plants the first set of 2 leaves are starting to curl down. thanx for the help. if you need more info let me know. once again i am a newbie and appreciate any info. thanks and a happy late 420 lol :tiphat:

Slimm

Man, someone earlier was talking about using an airstone in the hempy bucket and it sounded crazy to me at first, then the more I thought about it, I figured why not?
Lucky for me, I don't seem to have any root issues for me to put this into motion.
@slim-you add h2o2 every time you feed? I'm just curious about the frequency, I'd love to do a little side by side and see what happens.

Yes I do, unless I forget.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Thanks Slimm. I'll give it a try.
Meangreen-Welcome to ICMag. I usually start giving nutes when the plants need it. They'll show you...then begin with a little and work your way up. Each strain may be a little different with when and how much they like. I feed every time until flush. Also, this site has tons and tons of great information, use the search function and you'll find tons of assistance. Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts