What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

DoDad

I started out with the 70/30 perlite/vermiculite mix, then tried 75/25 and still had issues with excessive moisture. I would experience random spots/discolorations that I could never fully identify, droopy leaves etc. When I discontinued the vermiculite and went with about a 70/30 mix of perlite and expanded clay balls my problems stopped.

I am having the exact same issue. I have not been able to identify why.

Maybe I could rinse my Perlite/verm mix in an attempt to remove some of the vermiculite and then add 1/3 clay balls?

If you were me, what would you do?

DoDad

I have 40 gallons of 3:1 that I am running so I have to find someway to amend what I have. Thoughts anyone?

I'm thinking of washing the perlite in an attempt to reducing the vermiculite then add 30% clay balls.

starke

If your vermiculite is fairly fine like mine was, most of it will rinse through a mesh like window screen, leaving the perlite behind.

DoDad

If your vermiculite is fairly fine like mine was, most of it will rinse through a mesh like window screen, leaving the perlite behind.

Yes it's fine vermiculite. I'm doing that right now and the perlite is coming pretty clean.

Once I have clean perlite should I add 1 gallon of clay pellets to 2 gallons per perlite or do I need more or even less clay pellets?

DoDad

Here are some photos. Tops are fine but below the tops, random leaves droop and drop daily.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 56

starke

That mix will work fine. The ratio is not critical. Just for the hell of it I have experimented with plants in pure perlite Hempys and pure expanded clay as well. They work about the same. I have fed this mix pretty much any time I felt like it with great results. You can stay with an every other day schedule, once daily (which I do now) or even twice daily (which I have also done). I don't think you can over water this mix.

DoDad

That mix will work fine. The ratio is not critical. Just for the hell of it I have experimented with plants in pure perlite Hempys and pure expanded clay as well. They work about the same.

Thanks. I think I'll just rinse the perlite and forget the clay pellets for a run and see what happens.

DoDad

That mix will work fine.

I hand rinsed 18 gallons of perlite today and removed most of the Vermiculite and then transplanted some clones. It's mostly perlite hempy in this next run so we'll see if removing the vermiculite fixed my issue.

DoDad

I don't understand that. Every drop of excessive water/nutes should drain out of the pot in 30 minutes.

Do you have enough drain holes? I drill extra holes in my pots.

I thought I would report back.

My problem was that I wasn't watering to enough runoff and my nutes were building up. I was feeding at 900 PPM but my runoff was 1450ppm.

Once I got my runoff PPM's back closer to 900 my issues appear to have gone away.

brown_thumb

I don't know about others but I'm not reading 4,700+ posts to get one simple answer. I'll read a few pages of several threads that look promising but if I can't find the answer then I'll ask. If no one will help that one tiny bit then I'll go elsewhere. Getting bitch-slapped on day one of joining a forum is not an inviting experience.

Peterpam, stick around. There are lots of helpful growers here.

starke

I grow in Hempy's and have transplanted plants on several occasions from soil to Hempy. I typically gently shake/wash as much soil from the root-ball as possible, then transplant. Give them a couple of days to adjust and they will do fine.

S

SandyFantasyman

I don't know about others but I'm not reading 4,700+ posts to get one simple answer. I'll read a few pages of several threads that look promising but if I can't find the answer then I'll ask. If no one will help that one tiny bit then I'll go elsewhere. Getting bitch-slapped on day one of joining a forum is not an inviting experience.

Peterpam, stick around. There are lots of helpful growers here.
If you read the first few pages of the thread, almost all questions will be answered. If you are actually interested in learning this method, you will read more than that.

There are many helpful people around here, but if a person isn't going to put in any effort on their own behalf, why should anyone else bother?

HorseBadoritiz

If you read the first few pages of the thread, almost all questions will be answered. If you are actually interested in learning this method, you will read more than that.

There are many helpful people around here, but if a person isn't going to put in any effort on their own behalf, why should anyone else bother?

It's called paying it forward, or giving something without expecting anything in return.

There's enough judges around already.

Slim Pickens

Veteran

It's also a social forum.If all the questions have been answered,then the site will have reached the end of it's usefulness.

Answering the same questions every couple of days I would find excessive,but I can tolerate some repetition in the interest of friendly interaction and support.

I'm not being critical.Just my $.02.

brown_thumb

Then why didn't you just tell our new member to look in the first few pages of this thread instead of being rude and of zero help? Had you suggested the answer was revealed very early in the thread, your post would have been much more helpful. I'm sure no one wants to read an entire thread this long searching for one simple answer. That's a ridiculous expectation.

S

SandyFantasyman

Then why didn't you just tell our new member to look in the first few pages of this thread instead of being rude and of zero help? Had you suggested the answer was revealed very early in the thread, your post would have been much more helpful. I'm sure no one wants to read an entire thread this long searching for one simple answer. That's a ridiculous expectation.

Really?

If the OP had put in any effort at all, I.E. READING THE FIRST FEW PAGES OF THE THREAD, they wouldn't have had to ask.

You can all pile on if you want, but this was lazy. Would any of you click on an epic-length thread and just ignore everything in that thread and expect people to spoon feed you? I doubt it, and if you did, you wouldn't deserve help.

I'm not religious, but there is a saying about "helping those who help themselves". I'm happy to do that.