What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

U

Ununionized

Dude - comedy friggin genius.

We ought to try to re-mix it so it says ''Well, my Hempy's got a HOLE, in it!

Here to lighten things up is s Hank Williams with My Bucket's Got A Hole In It!

[youtubeif]045__ojHb_g[/youtubeif]

U

Ununionized

A wise, WISE man, once said,

''Give a man a bucket,

and he'll be able to carry home some of that weed you gave him.

Teach a man about a Hempy Bucket, and his ass'll be bringin' YOU WeeD."

Last edited:

MickFoster

I'm sure the answer to my question is buried somewhere in one of the 473 pages. I'm hoping someone can answer my question. Is it necessary to leach the salts out of the perlite occasionally? I've heard mixed opinions, of course.
Thanks.

hayday

Veteran
I don't , I think the beauty of the hempy is that you are constantly flushing and nothing really builds up. 3 runs and I trash my medium.

DoDad

Is it necessary to leach the salts out of the perlite occasionally? I've heard mixed opinions, of course.
Thanks.

I don't think so. Perlite doesn't hold onto anything from what I understand.

my question is: Must you do runoffs in hempy buckets every time you water?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I don't think so. Perlite doesn't hold onto anything from what I understand.

my question is: Must you do runoffs in hempy buckets every time you water?

Not really. I water only until I get a couple drops coming out the hole. Works great for me.

DoDad

Not really. I water only until I get a couple drops coming out the hole. Works great for me.

Perfect! Thanks.

What I did was measure the amount of water I needed to fill the bottom of my pots before I planted.

Now I just water that same amount to each plant and it fills the bottom rez with minimal or no runoff to deal with.

It's working for me too but wanted to check.

Thanks

MickFoster

Does anyone experience high pH run off starting from day one? I rinse my perlite thoroughly to wash out the powder - I then saturate it with a 5.8 pH solution and when I start feeding to substantial run off, the pH goes immediately to over 7.0. Help anyone?

Sign

I'm doing a Hempy bucket with promix, I'm on the third grow now using this and all I add is powdered dolomite lime. I don't water every day except for about a week during flower when they are really using it up fast. Plants are healthy.

One issue I do experience is the pot size can be too small if you veg too long you might experience some unhappy plants if they get root bound. This last run instead of repotting I just added more promix at the base and they perked up by the next day.

So far this is the cheapest and easiest way I've found and offers more cold protection than dwc in my basement.

I've tried the different perlite mixes for hempy, but straight promix multipurpose from home depot is working real good without any real adverse affects and at something like 13 dollars a bale it's super affordable. I also reuse the mix just adding fresh promix to the old and some more dolomite each time. Not sure if this will bite me eventually down the line but so far has not.

DoDad

I'm having to water everyday now. Are there are auto watering options for hempy buckets that will reduce my workload?

Will Blumats work?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I'm having to water everyday now. Are there are auto watering options for hempy buckets that will reduce my workload?

Will Blumats work?

If you're having to water your hempys every day, you're doing something wrong. Do you ever trim your roots?

Safe Gardener

I'm sure most in this tread have used the Hempy method or a variation. To anyone else who hasn't, if you are looking for a trouble free grow this is by far the easiest with the best results I have come up with.

I have used buckets of different sizes with a variety of soil/perlite medium combinations and have had luck with all. After adding perlite to 2" (relative to container size) for the reservoir I mix in some Osmocote Plus into the soil/perlite medium. After that I just add a 5ml/gal of Cal Mag to water (private well) and top the hempy reservoir when needed (around twice a week). Last two weeks of flower I stop the Cal Mag.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about this method with the Osmocoate.

SG

Safe Gardener

Sure, no problem. I actually use plastic trick or treat buckets that hold a little less than a gallon.

Good to know, thanks! I have a few in 32oz yogurt containers turned hempy right now. I'm going to transplant into the gallon hempys and switch two flower after a week or so.

I wasn't sure if anyone was going to respond, and was getting ready to try it out. The 32oz yogurt cups work awesome for veg, could probably keep a mother happy in one for quite some time.