What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

starke

I'm sure I over fed by about 100ppm for about two weeks. It took almost that long for the first classic leaf symptoms to show. Backed the feed back down to 600ppm/.5 but then saw the deficiency/lockout begin. Looks like Calcium or Potassium by pic comparison but I'm a novice and cannot be sure. Checked runoff and ppm was 900 - 1050/.5 and ph runoff was 7.1 on all girls. Flushed with 200ppm/.5 ph 5.6 solution. Runoff ppm is now 350 - 400ppm/.5 but the ph is staying glued on 6.5.

I have always fed to about a .5 to .75 gallon runoff on each plant in five gallon buckets. From reading this thread cover to cover last year assumed that was adequate to keep the media flushed. Apparently not.

Looking for any suggestions to avoid this situation in late flower again. I'm probably about to depart from the traditional Hempy and switch to a perlite/hydroton mix because the vermiculite I have ready access to is too fine in my opinion and is gunking up the bottom of the rez even after being washed.

Am curious if the Jacks Hydro is the culprit, or am I not feeding to enough runoff, or do you sometimes just have to flush a Hempy bucket in spite of the general consensus here that it is not necessary? Or was it only the result of overfeeding?

Any and all input appreciated.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I know what you mean about too fine vermiculite- my solution is use less of it and more perlite.

I only feed until i get a few drops runoff personally.

I flush for at least a week, sometimes two.

Hope this helps.

U

Ununionized

Coco mixed into the perlite in a similar ratio to vermiculite, is a good answer to an alternative to the vermiculite,

as a moisture retainment medium.

It works well.

Last edited:

Stipp_Niffles

I grew hempy style years ago using Maxigro and Maxibloom with great results. Lately I've been thinking of running a table to show so younguns how it is done that never heard of Hempy pots.

What I find interesting is I basically used this style my first few grows not realizing at the time it was essentially passive hydro as I was only 19 in 89 and read about it in a 70s grow bible lol

What nuts are people using most these days in hempy pots? Still maxi products?

starke

I have run Maxibloom in the past with good results. I'm running Jacks Pro Hydro and Calcinit on this grow at the 1:67 ratio the PPK guys are using. I was running 600 - 700ppm/.5 like the PPK guys and found that a little hot in Hempy. Next grow I'm going to start out around 450 and see what happens. The GH nutes Jelly uses are the original nutes used by Hempy if I remember correctly.

DoDad

I would like to use 1 gallon pots to veg but when I transplant the 1 gallon plant into the 3 gallon container that 3:1 perlite/vermiculite mixture really falls apart.

What kind of pots are you using to veg using this perlite/verm mix? Any tips for keeping the root ball intact?

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I just start them in Jiffy pellets and then transplant to the final three gallon container.
If Im running low on space I put the Jiffy pellets into a Solo cup Hempy and that buys a week or so before they need to be put in the three gallon pot.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
1. Put an empty 1 gallon pot in a 3 gallon pot.

2. Fill the 3 gallon pot with new (perlite/vermiculite) mixture around the 1 gallon pot.

3. Soak the mixture with lots of water and let it drain for a few minutes.

4. The 1 gallon pot with the plant, needs to be wet, too.

5. Pull the empty 1 gallon pot out of the 3 gallon pot (slowly).

6 Flip the plant upside down. It should hold together long enough to put the root ball into the 3 gallon pot with the temporary opening. :tiphat:

This works well going from beer cups to 1 gallon pots, too.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im in the process of building a system......but Im not sure its a hempy...

5 gallons.....same medium......vermiculite / perlite.....using pea gravel at the bottom....

Thru veg....it is a hempy....watered from the top......

In flower is where I go sideways......I intend to water the plants thru automatic subirrigation....bottom up....

They will still sit in their 2 inches of reservoir at the bottom......but all fertigation will come from the bottom.....

Its sort of a combination of hempy and autopot........ but the inspiration is hempy....

Is it still a hempy?????

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
A couple of quick Hempy budshots.
Alien OG at 40 days. I upped the nutes and they didnt like it.
Thus the burnt leaf tips.
This particular plant is a light feeder.
picture.php

picture.php

Streft

5 gallons.....same medium......vermiculite / perlite.....using pea gravel at the bottom....

In flower is where I go sideways......I intend to water the plants thru automatic subirrigation....bottom up....

They will still sit in their 2 inches of reservoir at the bottom......but all fertigation will come from the bottom.....

Its sort of a combination of hempy and autopot........ but the inspiration is hempy....

Is it still a hempy?????

Interesting! When u say bottom up in flower do u mean just to fill the res or up higher?
With the wicking action of your medium you should be good to go. Don't see it really being any different than top feeding.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

Is it still a hempy?????

G `day BDR

NO !
Ole Hempy didn`t like modification or improvement .
That could lead to complication and or failure . Then him getting blamed .

The Hempy bucket is fool proof . Hence its name .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

U

Ununionized

Indeed, what Elmer's telling ya is true, Budley. It didn't have anything to do at all, with the guy's insistence, that he wasn't really into other growing.

People instantly see the potential mods, do them, and then start discussing it and three or four passes around the room,

and a giant spider with antlers ridin' on a fire truck,

is 'a Hempy bucket.'

Peace on yas

Budley Doright

Veteran
Interesting! When u say bottom up in flower do u mean just to fill the res or up higher?
With the wicking action of your medium you should be good to go. Don't see it really being any different than top feeding.

The way it works is it connected to a controller bucket.....

The controller bucket determines the height of the level in the plant containers....

If I drain the contoller bucket all bucket reservboirs will empty as well...

I plan to to a grow thread of this system and wanted to hear fro the purists before I give the thing a name....

Here is a video of autopot......subirrigation.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOmYrCAUto

My system uses cycle timers and pumps to move water....

Matter of fact...plants are going in tomorrow......

What Im doing is sort of a combination of hempy and autopot.....

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day BDR

If you like your system knock yourself out .
Just don`t call it a Hempy Bucket .

Now Hempy and I didn`t see eye to eye on many things .
But I use the Hempy Bucket and I respect his wishes re the tech .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Here to lighten things up is s Hank Williams with My Bucket's Got A Hole In It!

[youtubeif]045__ojHb_g[/youtubeif]

Latest posts

Latest posts