What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just wanted to pop in and tell ya SOG that i did it ... i dropped 12 clones dipped in clonex into 9oz clear cups of coco last night i fed the coco with 1/4 strength nutes , great white & calmag .got them under my T5's ..... now lets see how fast i get roots
That was 3/6/2012 ^^^^^
today is 3/17/2012 ..... 11 days later & all 12 have nice white roots:woohoo::woohoo:

Found my new way of cloning :)

the fist 12 did so good i dropped 7 more just to see ..... & yup 10 days later ....roots

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

Last edited:
P

painroad

I just started using 2.5 gals with bottom perlite and the rest coco... Should i be watering everyday like hempy stated until roots hit the rez? Or is that only for the original hempys using 70/30? I can't seem to find skimming through, i read this thread, but that was about a year ago.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I had the same question when I started, painroad. I took dansbud's advice to just water the plant- not the container until it looks like the roots have hit the reservoir. Took about a week- week 1/2 then the plants took off. I started two plants in coco chips amongst the others that have the regular 70/30 mix. The coco chips didnt appear to hold as much moisture as the vermiculite/perlite mix so I watered them just a bit more often at the beginning but they did fine with the same watering schedule as the others once the roots hit the res.
Keep in mind I am using course coco chips made for orchids. If you are using a finer grind it may hold more water.

P

painroad

I had the same question when I started, painroad. I took dansbud's advice to just water the plant- not the container until it looks like the roots have hit the reservoir. Took about a week- week 1/2 then the plants took off. I started two plants in coco chips amongst the others that have the regular 70/30 mix. The coco chips didnt appear to hold as much moisture as the vermiculite/perlite mix so I watered them just a bit more often at the beginning but they did fine with the same watering schedule as the others once the roots hit the res.
Keep in mind I am using course coco chips made for orchids. If you are using a finer grind it may hold more water.
Thanks for the heads up! I'm using the "Gold label" it's a finer kind. I already treated it like i was watering the pot. Should i lean the buckets to the side and remove the water? Also, once the roots hit the rez, how often do you find your self watering? I haul like 30gals of RO from the grocery store about 1x per week for my other set up. So i'm hoping to keep that the same!!

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
No dont worry about the extra in the res. Just water less until the plant lets you know it hit the reservoir.
Im watering every day. The plants are bushy, around 2 1/2 feet high and about 2 weeks into flower and each uses 1/3 -1/2 gallon a day. Im sure some is also lost through evaporation from the container . If I use 1/3 gallon I get no or very little runoff. If I water 1/2 gallon I get about a cup-cup 1/2 of run off, which I prefer.

P

painroad

No dont worry about the extra in the res. Just water less until the plant lets you know it hit the reservoir.
Im watering every day. The plants are bushy, around 2 1/2 feet high and about 2 weeks into flower and each uses 1/3 -1/2 gallon a day. Im sure some is also lost through evaporation from the container . If I use 1/3 gallon I get no or very little runoff. If I water 1/2 gallon I get about a cup-cup 1/2 of run off, which I prefer.
Ok will do, however i may have bitten of more then i can chew if i need to water daily. I was under the impression from what i read that i could go a couple/few days without watering? Doing the math that comes out to 42 gals per week with my set up. I have 12.. 2.5 gals buckets. If that's the case i'm gonna have to figure something out.
Thanks

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
You might be able to get away with every two days. I got away with every two days when the plants were younger. Perhaps I should have put the drain hole higher. Mine are all around 1 1/2 -two inches up. How tall, bushy,vigorous the plants are will also create variables in water requirements along with stage of life and the environmental conditions of your grow space.

Seedlin

Rookie question. How do you bring ph down. My babies started turning a little yellow. Bought a ph meter and I'm @8.0 ! What do I do to bring it down? Am using Pure Blend Pro 3-2-4 an ordered soem Maxigrow and Maxibloom but hasn't come in for some reason. The shop gave me a 14oz container of Supernatural brand Bloom Aqua to use until my Maxigrow comes in...My babies are in bad shape. Advise???

Seedlin

That Supernatural Blend brough my ph down o 7.1 . I can't get back to the hydro shopfor a week. I'll tryeeding this stuff till then. Are there any "home remedies" to lower ph? I rememer seeing a thread here about the coloration of leaves from different lacks or excessive nutes. How do you do a search here?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You might be able to get away with every two days. I got away with every two days when the plants were younger. Perhaps I should have put the drain hole higher. Mine are all around 1 1/2 -two inches up.

Definitely put your holes higher up next time.
You're looking for 2-3 days between waterings when they start flower. When they reach maximum production they're going to need watering around once a day.

This gives you a good pH swing as well.

Anyone done buckets with the same setup/strain with 2-3 days between watering and 3-4? I'd be interested in the results. My results with lettuce are probably not going to compare. LOL

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Ill do that next time around, Hydro-Soil.
I was wondering how long it takes for the PH swing to fully take place. Any idea?
Even though I am watering ever day, I havent seen any sign of PH difficulties.
Do you think that someone who is watering every day should vary the PH between feedings in order to manually create the required PH swing?

oneshot

Ill do that next time around, Hydro-Soil.
I was wondering how long it takes for the PH swing to fully take place. Any idea?
Even though I am watering ever day, I havent seen any sign of PH difficulties.
Do you think that someone who is watering every day should vary the PH between feedings in order to manually create the required PH swing?

No, just keep using 5.8-6.2 pH. I just go with 6.0 every watering.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My holes are kinda low too & i have to water every other day right now but will be watering everyday soon enough . as far as PH ... in veg i feed at 5.8 during flower i switch it 6.0 so the plants get the P & Mg .if you look at the chart .... to get all nutes in the medium (prepping the coco ) ... 5.9 is actually best .but once the coco is prepped & your feeding every day .... this is why the fluctuation of 5.5 to 6.2 is best to get a correct range of available nutes .

1230915038chart.gif

Seedlin

My plants are still in the 16oz dixies. I nearly killed em all the other night with way too much heat from another lamp I put in the closet to raise the temps.(another story) Anyway i trimmed off the damages leaf and am nusring them back to health. Popping some more beans to start another round. Shound have me a bottle of ph down in a day or so. Am I watering them too much? I do twice a day but only enough to run out of the drain holes an inch or so off the bottoms of the cups and keeping the coco moist. The plants are starting on their 4th sets of leaves..

Dansbuds I built a seedlin, clone and mother closest from your basic design. Pics later when i get the post count . Thanks again. :smokeit:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cups only need to be watered when they start to dry out . they need to be treated like soil untill they're put into their final bucket . they need a little drying time so the roots expand looking for water . not bone dry but not soaked either . once they have a few roots in the cups , i like to bottom feed . it makes the roots grow better in my experiance . but everybody is different .

good luck on the cabinet . :)

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Just snapped a couple pics of the girls.
Turning into a little mini-jungle. LOL. Lucky I have more room if needed to separate them a little more.
I thought stretch had slowed but they put out another burst and got a little lankier than I would prefer.
Lots of nice buds popping up .

Latest posts

Latest posts