What's new

The Not So Solventless Clear Concentrate From Harborside!

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Now that I reread the title, one of my employees got me a gram a few weeks ago, Clear from Harborside. Tasted like lemon pinesol...
Didnt really get me that high, was a bitch to get it out of the container...
Interesting but bleh....

Seems like ANY concentrate from ANY club is just blah, none of it really gets me high...

flatslabs

It might be possible with a LN2 trap, but really no, not even close, orders of magnitude less pressure.

At this low pressure, column packing of any kind might do weird things. I don't think marbles would work. Without the marbles, your condenser is good for a 25 degree difference and that would be good enough, if you could manage the external heating required to prevent the distillate from turning to gum on the spot.

A Liebig would be fine. Plain fractionating columns in kits are usually Liebigs with 3-4 little projections on the bottom. I have everything needed to do a demo, except the 125 ml of BHO, so theoretically, I would not fractionate, but just hook up a vacuum adapter between two 19/22 flasks and maintain the mantle temperature and as much vacuum as possible for as long as something was happening.

The only condenser I have access to currently is a Liebig. I think what you are explaining is that most open fractioning columns are just Liebig condensers with extra glass in there? Anyways, I didn't think fractioning was really necessary for this application anyways, so we will skip that.

I don't have a heating mantle, but I have a temperature controlled hot plate and could do an oil bath. When you say 125ml bho, you are talking about in solution, of what? I only have access to pre-winterized absolutes currently, but have n-butane and ethanol on hand.

I would love to setup a demo too, the only things I am missing are a proper vacuum source and a double neck flask or claisen adapter so I can get a full water source going in the distilling flask, all my stuff is 24/40 and the only replacement claisen adapter I have is 19/22. I have a vacuum pump that we use for our purge chamber, but like I said its been a while since ive done any chemistry and we always had a vacuum line in the lab so I am not sure if it is suitable, especially if ethanol or butane is used as a carrier solution.

Also: I think it might be wise for those of us who wish to explore steam distillation to start a new thread, this is starting to diverge from a straight talk of "The Clear"

G.O. Joe

Veteran
When you say 125ml bho, you are talking about in solution, of what?

I mean filling a 250 ml. flask with enough shatter to give 125 ml. molten BHO.

The great thing about not having GC/MS analysis of the Clear and not knowing exactly what they are doing is that this thread can go anywhere. They could be doing the acid-base extraction I just mentioned followed by steam - we don't know.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I figured it out, the reason the call it lobster butter, is because they vaporize the shatter directly into a lobster's mouth and then it re condenses and they collect it and separate it out of the lobster feces.

Fact.

flatslabs

I mean filling a 250 ml. flask with enough shatter to give 125 ml. molten BHO.

The great thing about not having GC/MS analysis of the Clear and not knowing exactly what they are doing is that this thread can go anywhere. They could be doing the acid-base extraction I just mentioned followed by steam - we don't know.

Thats a LOT of purged BHO, certainly more than I have to sacrifice all in one go, a couple ounces worth at least.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Thats a LOT of purged BHO, certainly more than I have to sacrifice all in one go, a couple ounces worth at least.

As long as the oil is not exposed to air while heated, and the bath temperature never goes over 220, nothing bad can happen except for the bumping that needs preventing. Something could be fabricated, but there are all-glass 14/10 or 19/22 kits @ebay, and you really only need the vacuum adapter and a couple flasks. A heat gun and thermocouple is the mantle you may have. And insulation to keep the glass hot except for the receiver. The most challenging part is getting enough vacuum, unless you can get your hands on a Duoseal, the definition of enough vacuum.

Any suggestions?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6315357

Chonkski

As long as the oil is not exposed to air while heated, and the bath temperature never goes over 220, nothing bad can happen except for the bumping that needs preventing. Something could be fabricated, but there are all-glass 14/10 or 19/22 kits @ebay, and you really only need the vacuum adapter and a couple flasks. A heat gun and thermocouple is the mantle you may have. And insulation to keep the glass hot except for the receiver. The most challenging part is getting enough vacuum, unless you can get your hands on a Duoseal, the definition of enough vacuum.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6315357

Thank you, I am very interested in washing with this method.

Have you tested samples that were finished with this refining process for total cannabinoid percentage?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
For 125 ml. batches, the smaller joint sizes of glassware will be easier to control thermally and will have the shorter path. Cow adapters are great to have but it's more joints to leak. Those plastic Kecks on the boiling flask might melt so don't use them. Items 6 and 7, you need to introduce a capillary through that neck to prevent bumping. You need to do all this while still maintaining a pressure less than 1 mm, preferably a hundredth of that.

Chonkski

Ok, so what your are saying is this setup is too cheap?

I didn't think about bumping from the heated joints and so on

Any chance you can point me to a more proper resource

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Ok, so what your are saying is this setup is too cheap?

I didn't think about bumping from the heated joints and so on

Any chance you can point me to a more proper resource

Not at all. If you're going to use 250 ml. flasks, you might as well use 19/22 size. A standard 19/22 kit plus one of the $60 short path distillation heads cost about the same, but it would be a shame to not get the thermometer with the ground glass adapter and the cow because they're items you have to seek out and pay extra for, I have tons of glassware and have neither.

The bumping is superheating phenomena.

https://archive.org/details/TheOrganicChemLabSurvivalManual

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistr...-iap-2012/labs/MIT5_301IAP12_Dist_Handout.pdf

Last edited:

flatslabs

Its not the setup is too cheap, its kind of too complex for this application. Just look up simple distillation kits on ebay, maybe add a double neck flask and a vacuum adapter.

The kit you linked to is 24/40, hose are the sizes of the joints. Since we are dealing with small amounts of material, GO Joe is saying you are going to be better off with a smaller joint size like 19/22.

Get rid of all of those plastic joint adapters around the boiling flask because they melt as soon as you get heat, and the cow adapter is the thing on the right with the 3 smaller collection flasks, you don't need all that. Just get a 250 to 125ml distillation kit.

flatslabs

Also, don't forget you will need a source of cold water for your condenser and a vacuum source. We used to use a submersible pump from Eheim for our condenser water, but I don't have a suitable source of vacuum it seems.

Chonkski

Yes, I'm becoming more and more familiar with the glassware and their purposes. Thank you guys for being patient with me. Take into consideration that I'm still very young in age and haven't been able to study much into organic chemistry. I plan on studying as much of it as possible when I get back into school, but for now I really appreciate the resources and help!

When using the short path head, would I still be using the long condenser?
Or the short path head works as a condenser?

Last edited:

flatslabs

A short path distilling head IS a condenser and typically has a vacuum port as well. A standard kit will typically come with a Liebig condenser and a 90 degree vacuum adapter, this would replace both of those (and probably a thermometer adapter as well).

OG Joe is suggesting this piece because you are dealing with small amounts of material and you want losses to be at a minimum, so you are keeping your condenser as small as possible.

Oh yeah, I should probably mention you are going to want to buy lab stands, clamps, rings, etc or you won't be able to set any of this stuff up, usually 3 stands for a typical distillation setup.