What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Not So Solventless Clear Concentrate From Harborside!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
@Horatio Delbert...
Could D-limonene be substituted/replace iso-propyl alcohol...or more specifically will the D-limonene evaporate out (purge) similar to iso?
:respect:
you've earned my ear.

@Horatio Delbert...
Could D-limonene be substituted/replace iso-propyl alcohol...or more specifically will the D-limonene evaporate out (purge) similar to iso?
:respect:
you've earned my ear.

Limonene has a higher boiling point so I believe it is being pulled off as an azeotrope with multiple water washes.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Limonene has a higher boiling point so I believe it is being pulled off as an azeotrope with multiple water washes.

That's the process Horatio profers and on our list of experiments with the Hiedolph we have on loan. The most talkative I've see Horatio on the subject, is his thread on the subject on Toke City.

Old Gold

does anyone wanna talk about strong cation exchange resins for potential thc-a purification?

A polysaccharide network would have proper hydrophilic and lipophilic tendencies. A GW Pharma Patent from 2003 makes claims to a certain brand that has been used for separation of proteins, lipids, polyphenols, flavanoids, low molecular-weight peptides.
I'll look back into the details of it's contents, pKa, etc..

I would say use a strongly acidic anion exchange resin for the carboxylic acid to bind to. Elute unwanteds with something like methanol + H20. Follow with a column wash using a strong acid to release the cannabinoid acids from suspension.
I do believe this method should see separation from longer chain fatty acids and such, but not separation of individual cannabinoids. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the process Horatio profers and on our list of experiments with the Hiedolph we have on loan. The most talkative I've see Horatio on the subject, is his thread on the subject on Toke City.

This TC thread,
http://www.tokecity.com/forums/show...kin-LHO-(extracting-Hash-with-orange-Terpenes!)

Here's two of Horatio's videos on the subject I've viewed, there are probably more by now, but this will get you started,

https://youtu.be/TPQhamiRH-Y?t=1s

https://youtu.be/grkENemi0Q0?t=1s

Last edited:
A polysaccharide network would have proper hydrophilic and lipophilic tendencies. A GW Pharma Patent from 2003 makes claims to a certain brand that has been used for separation of proteins, lipids, polyphenols, flavanoids, low molecular-weight peptides.
I'll look back into the details of it's contents, pKa, etc..

I would say use a strongly acidic anion exchange resin for the carboxylic acid to bind to. Elute unwanteds with something like methanol + H20. Follow with a column wash using a strong acid to release the cannabinoid acids from suspension.
I do believe this method should see separation from longer chain fatty acids and such, but not separation of individual cannabinoids. Any thoughts?

i first got the idea going through 'encyclopedia of seperation science' and when researching i dug up that a forensic toxicology laboratory used StrataX-C (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15909541) to seperate thc from blood. he was able to elute the thc first by just washing the column with hexane mixture, and then secondly the Thc-a by acidifying/extracting the column. it says he used a cationic sorbent to suspend the goods, though perhaps the opposite anion sorbent will take unwanteds only and let the goods pass through. Cation sorbent takes up the thc-a anion im assuming is whats happening, im still a baby in the subject. id imagine one would only run into training for this in biochemistry 2. but hey its says he seperated it from blood well enough to legally satisfy the criteria for a positive drug test (boo that, but if its good enough to send someone to jail it had to be pure enough to pass the optical tests)

GW pharma guys are straight gangster, and their decarb/short path machine is gnar-gnar

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cc000086s?journalCode=jcchff
"The anion exchange resin DOWEX 1×8-400 formate has been developed for the isolation or resin capture of carboxylic acids from solution phase reactions in a 96-well format using a batchwise solid phase extraction technique. Eleven different anion exchange resins (formate forms) were evaluated for their efficiency at scavenging aryl and aliphatic carboxylic acids from solution. The model carboxylic acids had pKas ranging from 3.40 to 4.89. Exchange efficiency onto the resin was pKa dependent with the carboxylic acids but not with their diisopropylethylammonium salts. Exchange off of the resin also showed pKa dependence with the stronger acids requiring more concentrated solvent acid for exchange. DOWEX 1×8-400 formate was determined to have superior capacity and the fastest exchange rate. Solvents suitable for exchanging the acids onto the resin were CH2Cl2, methanol, and various solvent/water mixtures. Solvents suitable for exchanging the carboxylic acids off of the resin were TFA/solvent or HCO2H/solvent mixtures. The resin was found to swell best in CH2Cl2 and in polar protic solvents such as water, alcohols, and acids. Application of this technique to the crude product mixtures from an arrayed reductive amination and an arrayed Stille reaction provided product carboxylic acids in yields averaging 57% and purities averaging 89%."

Grow4Flow

Some of us can extract complete terpene profiles that are strain specific. We us co2 to do it.

i understand the possibility, but using heat or vacuum are not the way to do it if you aim for the best retention, tvezura has also made mention of this in so many words.

I bought into the Waters machine which does a great job at it though it took forever for little gain.

Im now experimenting with a process using ultra low temp throughout, from start to finish and without the use of vac or solvent.

im sure there are more efficient ways to do this while avoiding the need to charge $100/0.25ml.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
you may collect SOME terps, but you are not retaining the complete profile

Only if the steam is gentle. All of the terpenes are volatile in steam that's hot enough, and will be extracted from the distillate by a little organic solvent.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how can i make my bho absolutley clear?

We got pretty close to colorless clear with concentrates starting with an early harvest SkyWalker and extracting at -30C. It had a slight grey hue, but was like window glass in thin films.

Ostensibly you might run such an extract through short path distillation and remove the anthro-cyanins and get it even more colorless end product.