What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The NEW E-Papillon 1000W Thread

pHive.8

Vendor
The recommended 100 hour burn-in is @1000w without any dimming or boosting on a new bulb.
approximately 6 days on 18/6 or 8-9 days on 12/12 , NOT a continuous time period of 100 straight hours, as I believe is your misunderstanding.
After approx 100 hours@1000w the bulb can be burned on any setting for any time period.

@Bob-Zilla that's the correct awnser

Quadchomes

Hello,

I have 5 epap1000s over a 4x28' canopy and per calculator comes to 960umol/m2. The lamps are 34" above the canopy and set to 825w. If I crank up the wattage the plants will have much more uptake but get all geeked out. They look happy right now but I guess I can push them more, but they will look stressed. So do I save the electricity and keep them at 850w or take the lamps higher and raise the wattage? I feel both accomplish the same thing except that one saves more money, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

DrFever

Veteran
We are happy to announce that our exclusive national distributor for the USA is pHive.8. They can be contacted for any information or questions you have about our great product.

I will remain active on the forum under the username pHive.8 and of course through info@epapillon.com

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44419&pictureid=1417519]View Image [/URL]

I am curious Are you the North american sales regional rep???
Or Are you a employee of light interaction ??? and speaking on behalf of there light ??
or just middle man taking a piece of the pie ,,,.. from the makers..

I also would like to know if the company actually had out side sources, Testing done ,,,not meaning growing,, meaning actual specs ??? all the important stuff ???
i take it the epap is 470 bucks ??? is that Euro;s or american funds cause either way people have to pay 40 more plus mark up i take it ???
when a company Says we got the highest par or efficiency to me sounds just like a sales Gimmic hell the vid showed 1850 photons coming from Gavita

people should ask for them outside sourced tests cause anyone can say anything they want.
Them fixtures TMU was made for glass house / Green house so it wouldn't block the sun i am going to call them next week or email

http://www.lights-interaction.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=6&lang=en

So this unit has only 1035 watts ??? Gavita has 1150 add 80 for currency change
Nano tech 1000 watt is actually 1200 watts and there being sold for 369 bucks Add and that is US funds what my next purchases is going to be

Billy Liar

Anyone know if the 1000w mh lamps are available in the uk yet? Our grow shop doesn't seem to be able to get hold of them..

Peace
BL

pHive.8

Vendor
DrFever, you're looking on the wrong website.

for the specs of the 240V 1000W (and other products) you have to go to www.epapillon.com you won't find these on our EU website.

the account phive.8 is used by several persons, either by our national USA distributer phive.8 or directly from Lights Interaction as i'm doing now.

we had our 1000w 240v light tested in a comprehensive test at Utah state university, and it came out best in total flux / efficacy in µmol/Joule

I am curious Are you the North american sales regional rep???
Or Are you a employee of light interaction ??? and speaking on behalf of there light ??
or just middle man taking a piece of the pie ,,,.. from the makers..

I also would like to know if the company actually had out side sources, Testing done ,,,not meaning growing,, meaning actual specs ??? all the important stuff ???
i take it the epap is 470 bucks ??? is that Euro;s or american funds cause either way people have to pay 40 more plus mark up i take it ???
when a company Says we got the highest par or efficiency to me sounds just like a sales Gimmic hell the vid showed 1850 photons coming from Gavita

people should ask for them outside sourced tests cause anyone can say anything they want.
Them fixtures TMU was made for glass house / Green house so it wouldn't block the sun i am going to call them next week or email

http://www.lights-interaction.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=6&lang=en

So this unit has only 1035 watts ??? Gavita has 1150 add 80 for currency change
Nano tech 1000 watt is actually 1200 watts and there being sold for 369 bucks Add and that is US funds what my next purchases is going to be

DrFever

Veteran
Could you post the data from the utah test or any comparative testing results made ??? so we can compare it to your marketing strategies claiming you have the best of everything ,, most companies i find that use " We have the best " are claiming far from the truth ..
Also maybe you can correct some info here for us ?? were these lights designed as a stand alone fixture. or supplementary green house lighting ?? cause when reading both sites they mention glass houses more then once..
Although i believe it will light up a wider area , i firmly believe that the par ratings are false . from looking at some grows with these lights you can clearly see the plants grown under them do not keep same canopy height ...

timmur

I believe the attached are the results that pHive.8 was referencing. See Table 2 specifically.

Attachments

• pub__8264567.pdf
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 48

pHive.8

Vendor
I believe the attached are the results that pHive.8 was referencing. See Table 2 specifically.

timmur you're a legend!

@DrFever all professional grow lights have been developed for greenhouse applications as this is the biggest market, also in this market the last % efficiency counts because the value of products (veggies and flowers) are much much lower in value than medicinal plants, so every penny counts. those offered to be used as the "perfect" single lamp setup have been adaptations made upon original professional greenhouse lights.

ritch

Hi pHive.8 I've just bought 2 dpapillon 315w to use in a 1.2 square tent with orca lining on the walls, I was hoping you could advise me on the best way to hang these, would I be better them side by side or end to end, and if end to end have the ballast in the middle or at the wall side?
Also what distance from lamp to canopy is best with these?

Thanks

Could you post the data from the utah test or any comparative testing results made ??? so we can compare it to your marketing strategies claiming you have the best of everything ,, most companies i find that use " We have the best " are claiming far from the truth ..

Here you go, I analyzed that study by Nelson & Bugbee and provided a lot of context, some time ago. Note that photosynthetic efficiency tests (in the integrating sphere) weren't conducted by Nelson & Bugbee at Utah State, rather by a 3rd party lab (see the second thread below for specifics about the testing protocol, etc.).

"Gavita Pro DE vs. ePapillion: irradiance uniformity results"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=297147

"LED vs. HPS: Truth about photosynthetic eff. & uniformity"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296665

[Here's the official paper that timmur posted a slimmed down PDF of, hin his post above:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099010]

Although i believe it will light up a wider area , i firmly believe that the par ratings are false . from looking at some grows with these lights you can clearly see the plants grown under them do not keep same canopy height ...
You may like to read my comments in this thread, about your point above:

"Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=306152

These two posts of mine specifically, from that thread, offer insight on that issue (it's about PPF at canopy):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6981624&postcount=11
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6984907&postcount=15

Last edited:

DrFever

Veteran
Here you go, I analyzed that study by Nelson & Bugbee and provided a lot of context, some time ago. Note that photosynthetic efficiency tests (in the integrating sphere) weren't conducted by Nelson & Bugbee at Utah State, rather by a 3rd party lab (see the second thread below for specifics about the testing protocol, etc.).

"Gavita Pro DE vs. ePapillion: irradiance uniformity results"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=297147

"LED vs. HPS: Truth about photosynthetic eff. & uniformity"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=296665

[Here's the official paper that timmur posted a slimmed down PDF of, hin his post above:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0099010]

You may like to read my comments in this thread, about your point above:

"Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=306152

These two posts of mine specifically, from that thread, offer insight on that issue (it's about PPF at canopy):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6981624&postcount=11
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6984907&postcount=15

Reasons i asked those questions epap is stating that it out performs Gavita's etc etc
when in fact its opposite that video few pages back showed par ratings from Epap and Gavita looked like Gavita ended up being the better choice
but i didn't take all that as truth so i dug deeper and started talking to a member on this site that uses what 60- 70,000 watts and has Gavitas epaps and nanolux De lamps in use
what a better way to get a truth full answer..
From a unbiased source .. Now its not my place to say what the person told me ....
But i will be frank he said there getting one more chance if they do not compare something has to change i think you might now what the change he means
Also as i am in the market for few new lights i take everyone posts or journals seriously ..
and so far its looking stronger to me that nano lux 1215 watt DE fixture is the winner and TBH being drawn to purchasing them

Reasons i asked those questions epap is stating that it out performs Gavita's etc etc

started talking to a member on this site that uses what 60- 70,000 watts and has Gavitas epaps and nanolux De lamps in use
what a better way to get a truth full answer..
From a unbiased source .. Now its not my place to say what the person told me ....

But i will be frank he said there getting one more chance if they do not compare something has to change i think you might now what the change he means
Also as i am in the market for few new lights i take everyone posts or journals seriously ..
and so far its looking stronger to me that nano lux 1215 watt DE fixture is the winner and TBH being drawn to purchasing them
I agree first hand experience is worthy of consideration, however, the problem with asking growers what works better is they very often do not carry out appropriate comparisons.That is, most every grower I have ever seen or consulted for isn't properly using their fixtures. I would bet the grower to whom you refer does not have a good quantum sensor, thereofor he/she cannot test the PPF at canopy to make sure it's the same for the various luminaries, for an appropriate comparison.

Without ensuring PPF is the same at canopy comparing lumainers is like comparing apples to oranges. That is becuase due to differences in reflectors the fixtures need to used differently (in terms of spacing and overlapping radiation for multiple fixtures, distance to canopy, etc.) for optimal results.

A prime example is that Nanolux at 1,215W, that is, it's not wise to overpower a lamp, so a 1,000W lamp should be operated at 1,000W, not 1,215W. And if a grower has a good quantum sensor, or at least computer software to model the grow space, then the fixutres can be used for optimal irradiance at canopy and uniformity of that irradiance. So in other words, those Nanolux could be operated at 1,000W and still provide the same growth and yeild as at 1,215W, although the fixtures may be closer to the canopy and/or adjusted in terms of spacing.

Basically what it comes down to is practically every single grower I've ever come across is flying blind, because they don't measure irradiance and irradiance uniformity at canopy, so they have no basis for comparison. And even for growers that have Gavita and ePapillion model their space for them don't get accurate enough projections from those models, which is why measuring in the real-world with a good quantum sensor at canopy is so important.

DrFever

Veteran
I agree first hand experience is worthy of consideration, however, the problem with asking growers what works better is they very often do not carry out appropriate comparisons.That is, most every grower I have ever seen or consulted for isn't properly using their fixtures. I would bet the grower to whom you refer does not have a good quantum sensor, thereofor he/she cannot test the PPF at canopy to make sure it's the same for the various luminaries, for an appropriate comparison.

Without ensuring PPF is the same at canopy comparing lumainers is like comparing apples to oranges. That is becuase due to differences in reflectors the fixtures need to used differently (in terms of spacing and overlapping radiation for multiple fixtures, distance to canopy, etc.) for optimal results.

A prime example is that Nanolux at 1,215W, that is, it's not wise to overpower a lamp, so a 1,000W lamp should be operated at 1,000W, not 1,215W. And if a grower has a good quantum sensor, or at least computer software to model the grow space, then the fixutres can be used for optimal irradiance at canopy and uniformity of that irradiance. So in other words, those Nanolux could be operated at 1,000W and still provide the same growth and yeild as at 1,215W, although the fixtures may be closer to the canopy and/or adjusted in terms of spacing.

Basically what it comes down to is practically every single grower I've ever come across is flying blind, because they don't measure irradiance and irradiance uniformity at canopy, so they have no basis for comparison. And even for growers that have Gavita and ePapillion model their space for them don't get accurate enough projections from those models, which is why measuring in the real-world with a good quantum sensor at canopy is so important.

Again with person said he has about dozen epaps configured to spec as they want but again lacking peneration power his room is pretty dialed in using iponic 624 that monitors every aspect including par at leaf level your not going to get much more dialed in and also working with iponic corp this units also has quantum reader sensor

http://blueearthsustainable.com/gro...c-624-two-zone-grow-room-controller-lc9951124

Off topic question Dr. Fever:
I don't see the quantum sensor, do you have a link? I only see "light sensor" listed, which I take to mean a sensor that monitors light vs. dark, but not measure PPF. I use Growtronix grow room controller to integrate with LI-COR quantum sensor (which is the top of the line sensor).

Thanks for the heads up about the new model iPonic.

Last edited:

Buckowens

So what's up with this 40% failure rate I keep hearing about? I'm trying to get facilities lined up with paps, but all these fan boys keep trying to sell me gavitas or some knockoffs. And tell me the e paps are shitting out high rates. I've yet to see any real problems in any grow with them yet.
Anyone else hearing all this stuff?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ dunno, not my experience (only with a single fixture tho.) I thought I had a problem which turned out to be me and a loose bulb holder. I just saw this week an article on 420mag about a large operation in Minnesota. In the picture they carried, I counted at least 70 epaps. i've not seen 40% mentioned in any other post than yours tho, or any serious issues with them.

Latest posts

Latest posts