What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Longest Flowering, Most Upbeat and Happy Sativa Is...

Mightyka

Veteran
Here is Vanuatu landrace from Malakula island. 25 weeks of flower.

picture.php

Stinkhorn123

How will you light your cabinet Doug? I've been getting amazing results from the CMH lights running sativa dom's(Mango Haze, Chimeras SSx's etc) compared to my prior runs under HPS. I suspect the fuller spectrum of the CMH and possibly LED's really jive with the narrow leafs. However you light it the happy cabinet sounds fun.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
How will you light your cabinet Doug? I've been getting amazing results from the CMH lights running sativa dom's(Mango Haze, Chimeras SSx's etc) compared to my prior runs under HPS. I suspect the fuller spectrum of the CMH and possibly LED's really jive with the narrow leafs. However you light it the happy cabinet sounds fun.
The cabinet is 6' tall, 2' wide and only 13" deep. I'm working on mounting screw-in LED lights, with a downward angle, on the doors. Using a vertical scrog, I can keep the plant away from the doors. Theoretically, I can angle the lamps downward, not straight down. This will give direct and reflected light, while keeping the most intense light areas away from plant material. LEDs fry plants up close. lol

Going to start with 15w lamps. If that's too strong I'll have to back off to lower power lamps. We'll see. :)

:tiphat:

Mightyka

Veteran
I brought about 20 seeds of this landrace when I have been traveling around Melanesia. Sadly just one germinated...
Still have a mother plant but I am not able to make pure F2.

BruceBanner

I had limited experience with Neville's Haze, Mango Haze (both MRN) and Malawi (Ace).

I would pick the Neville's Haze out of the three.

Will still pop the Malawi breeder's pack and 12 Zamaldelica I have but from what I could try so far (2 Old Killer Malawi, 3 Mango Haze IBL and 2 Neville's Haze), the Malawi came in last place. Since Zamaldelica is based on Malawi, I wonder if the "killer potency" hype for both strains is just that, internet hype. But maybe I just didn't get good phenos on the Malawi. I also had some issues in that grow and harvested them a bit early ...

Will give it another shot first but Neville's Haze is a good one.

You aren't hallucinating, it's all hype. I was so disappointed with some strains from top 3 seed banks here in forum, that I even don't want to write smoke reports...

It is maybe because people didn't smoke the real ganja, so maybe they are not hyping, but for me it is a hype.

I'm from Serbia, and the street weed here till 2000. was better than those superb hyped strains here that are just mediocre. Even the Albanian ganja had here and there some grail, and it really was grail, this todays weed can't even come close.

I think the cause of it, that breeder can't breed great ganja and not even to speak about grails, is that they're all doing eugenics, you can't get a grail plant so easy with that type of selecting, but just mediocre...

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

I brought about 20 seeds of this landrace when I have been traveling around Melanesia. Sadly just one germinated...
Still have a mother plant but I am not able to make pure F2.
Might be worth looking into strain preservation methods. Do some research on preserving a clone only cut. Look around and see what the possible parentage may have been.

Never know what you find, till you go looking. :)

H

hard rain

Longer is not better, what Dubi and Charlie Garcia achieve is just magic

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31721&page=203
I tend to think the real magic comes with longer flowering sativa's. Btw, I have grown Ace Malawi (18.5 weeks), Purple Haze (19-20wks). I found the Malawi more of a narcotic kind of high with only a faint euphoria. Much preferred the purple haze high which is uplifting, happy, a bit euphoric. I totally agree about Dubi and Charlie. I am so glad there is a seed company like Ace adn Cannabiogen. What shorter flowering varieties would you recommend? I've had my eye on Panama..

I also think landrace seed is under estimated. Most people are so used to growing hybrids. Some of the younger cannabis growers have no idea what a pure sativa is. The two best highs I've had have come from Thai and Lao landrace seeds. Thai was very trippy, sometimes scary. The Lao was uplifting, beautiful and no paranoia. Both I would call upbeat, and the Lao was very happy. I tried growing both from the Gypsy collection but couldn't achieve anything like i had from country of origin.

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I tend to think the real magic comes with longer flowering sativa's. Btw, I have grown Ace Malawi (18.5 weeks), Purple Haze (19-20wks). I found the Malawi more of a narcotic kind of high with only a faint euphoria. Much preferred the purple haze high which is uplifting, happy, a bit euphoric. I totally agree about Dubi and Charlie. I am so glad there is a seed company like Ace adn Cannabiogen. What shorter flowering varieties would you recommend? I've had my eye on Panama..

I also think landrace seed is under estimated. Most people are so used to growing hybrids. Some of the younger cannabis growers have no idea what a pure sativa is. The two best highs I've had have come from Thai and Lao landrace seeds. Thai was very trippy, sometimes scary. The Lao was uplifting, beautiful and no paranoia. Both I would call upbeat, and the Lao was very happy. I tried growing both from the Gypsy collection but couldn't achieve anything like i had from country of origin.

Yes, the Panama would be the one I would recommend, IIRC the latest generations are giving some even faster phenos, also a lot of people are reporting significantly faster flowering with less than 12 hours of light.

A friend has a nice slice of the ACE catalogue finishing outdoors now, he was stressing out as they had taken so long to go into flower, added up the weeks flowering that they take indoors, starts pulling faces...But now, as they start to get shortening days, they speed up the process

Emil Muzz

The Real Seed Company's Manipuri. Mmmh, real Indian ganja plant. Tastes like orange and iron ( yes, the element).

Happy, smiley and ceiling-less high. The more you smoke the higher you get. Very clear, no body load or slowing down of mind or body.

Wakeful: keep you up all night if you're daft enough to keep tokin'.

Long-long-long flowering. Can grow tall and wide very fast. Skinny buds even if well grown. Needs high light levels. Can turn hermie, but show me a landrace that doesn't.

Well worth trying it's so cheap and so good.

Shiva would be so proud of you if you grew Manipuri. And so would I.

Douglas.Curtis

Sounds awesome, Emil_Muzz :) It goes on the list. :)

On the long flowering subject... Has anyone done side by side testing of a long flowering cut using differing light schedules? In other words, does manipulating the light schedule for faster maturation affect the end terpene/cannabinoid production?

If so, how?

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as i know shortening the photoperiod only effects the flowering time by producing more ethylene the plants will ripen quicker.

The effects of a strain are directly related to the cannabinoid & terpine profile of a plant. Which are seperate traits than and controlled by different genes/not linked to flowering times. If a breeder maintains selective pressure on the right profile/effects while also choosing the faster plants it is indeed possible, over generations, to lower the flowering time and maintain the effects you're looking for.

That said, because of the long flowering and low commercial viability few breeders have taken on the challenge and done a very good job IMO so using the longer flowering more pure sativas are your best bet but also pose their own challenges

The best sativa ive had was a cross i made myself using a true f1 landrace hybrid crossed to a pure landrace... Keepers flowered for 15-22 weeks, uplifting, happy, clear headed, functional (in moderate doses), ceilingless, borderline psychedelic effects with no crash @ comedown. Smells of flowers, citrus peel, incense, woody & earthy

Tabitha v1.1 #11
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Choose paternal genetics wisely, then make your own cross, grow out enough seeds and make your own selections besed on your criteria!

Tabitha v1.1 #11 dry shots
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Happy Times

As far as i know shortening the photoperiod only effects the flowering time by producing more ethylene the plants will ripen quicker.

The effects of a strain are directly related to the cannabinoid & terpine profile of a plant. Which are seperate traits than and controlled by different genes/not linked to flowering times. If a breeder maintains selective pressure on the right profile/effects while also choosing the faster plants it is indeed possible, over generations, to lower the flowering time and maintain the effects you're looking for.

That said, because of the long flowering and low commercial viability few breeders have taken on the challenge and done a very good job IMO so using the longer flowering more pure sativas are your best bet but also pose their own challenges

The best sativa ive had was a cross i made myself using a true f1 landrace hybrid crossed to a pure landrace... Keepers flowered for 15-22 weeks, uplifting, happy, clear headed, functional (in moderate doses), ceilingless, borderline psychedelic effects with no crash @ comedown. Smells of flowers, citrus peel, incense, woody & earthy

Tabitha v1.1 #11
View Image View Image
View Image
View Image View Image

Looking great, thanks for sharing

CanadaDank

In my experience that would be either Angola Red which goes 18 weeks and is very euphoric, the Maeo Highland Thai dominant Destroyer x Angola Red/Thai aka DART which is also 18 weeks, 15 week BC Sweet Skunk or 15 week Bandaid Haze Doc D piff 7 pheno. Those ones feel like winning the lottery when smoked!

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gorgeous! Thank You!

Looking great, thanks for sharing

Thanks guys, happy to share info..... and love sharing pics too :biggrin:

Manthose are awesome! Stunning looking oldschool sativas, and the terp profile sounds incredible (like oldschool Haze). What are the two strains you crossed to make her?

Thanks, i wish more people outside the internet appreciated the structure/look :laughing:, the high is top notch and the smell left in the air after smoking is something special

Im still developing this line so im not sharing exact lineages for a few reasons. What I'll say is the only BLD genetics come from djs f4 blueberry that was crossed to an old pure tropical NLD, then i crossed that NLD x bb to another pure tropical NLD unrelated to the first. None of the NLD lines were "worked" they were sourced directly from their country of origin, grown out, selected and crossed