What's new

The Jiffy Challenge

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
im definitly going to have to start some 12/12 from seed soon, unfortunatly my timer didnt work :(

but turns out one of my plants is a man, so maybe i will have some space!

Who needs a timer, try manually, works. I'll shut up now, for some reason I am getting a sativa hit from this indica I am smoking now. I'll just have to stay away from Facebook.

PG-191

I stuck the tops of my two plants into jiffy pellets today, hope they take root! If they root successfully,then I'd have my first rooted clones!:jump:

Here they are with the plants they were topped from:

11052010671.jpg

11052010669.jpg

In cups covered with cling wrap:

11052010673.jpg

11052010679.jpg

Grow roots grow!

High Country

Veteran
I stuck the tops of my two plants into jiffy pellets today, hope they take root! If they root successfully,then I'd have my first rooted clones!:jump:

Here they are with the plants they were topped from:

11052010671.jpg

11052010669.jpg

In cups covered with cling wrap:

11052010673.jpg

11052010679.jpg

Grow roots grow!

Those clones look nice and healthy, I normally trim fan leaves to reduce transpiration but that's your call. Don't annoy them, prod or poke them for 14 days at least and show us the results. Looking good.

PG-191

I was thinking about trimming those fan leaves but I thought I'd ask someone on here about it first. Check my grow out HC and tell me what you think needs to be done. I'm thinking I might have cal/mag deficiencies but I read that it's not too big of a deal. Or am I completely wrong and should go out and get cal/mag ASAP?

Here's the grow btw:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=172092

High Country

Veteran
I was thinking about trimming those fan leaves but I thought I'd ask someone on here about it first. Check my grow out HC and tell me what you think needs to be done. I'm thinking I might have cal/mag deficiencies but I read that it's not too big of a deal. Or am I completely wrong and should go out and get cal/mag ASAP?

Here's the grow btw:

Just had a look, nothing wrong with that. I'm not a nutrient expert so will not comment on cal/mag.

There seems to be a lot of people on this site who get carried away with this magic elixir.

Dirt and water works even better, under the sun.

PG-191

I always thought of nutes as supplementary but not necessary to successfully grow weed. I guess it helps along the way, still organic grows prove that there's nothing wrong with letting mother nature take care of em,the way it's supposed to be.

You have no idea how much I'm itching to grow these outdoors man!

I'll have to wait til I've relocated later this year. That should prove interesting. :D

High Country

Veteran

Here's the grow btw:

Yes I would trim the fan leaves, by 1/2 and don't mist or water for a while, remove the plastic occasionally and totally by 7 days. Keep warm, 25C or 75F.

PG-191

Thanks a lot HC. So I can just trim off 50% of the fan leaves from each plant then?

Should I do this right now? I'll be putting them to 12/12 at 0600 tomorrow. Will trimming and light schedule change be too much for them or will they be just fine?

My temps with lights on are high 80s during the day around 87-89 and 84-86 at night.
With the lights off the temps go down to about 81-83. Seeds germinated fine in these conditions so I hope the clones will root just as easily.

High Country

Veteran
Thanks a lot HC. So I can just trim off 50% of the fan leaves from each plant then?

Should I do this right now? I'll be putting them to 12/12 at 0600 tomorrow. Will trimming and light schedule change be too much for them or will they be just fine?

My temps with lights on are high 80s during the day around 87-89 and 84-86 at night.
With the lights off the temps go down to about 81-83. Seeds germinated fine in these conditions so I hope the clones will root just as easily.

Yep, trim them. I usually do clones under 2 x 36W flouros on 18/6 for 2 weeks then 12/12 under a 600W HPS until finish.

The main thing with clones/cuttings is to encourage root growth. Use Clonex purple or similar, all have indoyl-butryic-acid as the active component. Bottom heat, don't touch them and you should be right. 14 days later.

PG-191

Awesome info thanks!

So each plant has 4 fan leaves and the first set of serrated leaves. Does trimming half of mean 2 off each plant?

lolraymond

Sup guys! Got 2 sprouts now, one's kickin' it hardcore style! It's pumpin' out new leaves and growing way good. I'm stoked. Oh, by the way, my friend just brought me 5 Grape Ape seedlings, all about 10 inches tall. Gonna try to clone one of those and put it in a jiffy.

Oh, by the way, if any of the seeds are male, I'll grow that shit out, just for you, High Country. Lol.

I'll get pics later! STAY HIGH!

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
I do put 36 clones in Jiffy Pellets straight into hydroton. They do fall apart a bit but the root mass that goes out into the hydroton can support the plant in full bloom.

hey high country, just a question, can/do you reuse the hydroton after grows? can you just soak them in bleach etc for a period of time to sterilize them again or do you start afresh and get new clay pellets? cheers mate

darwin

High Country

Veteran
hey high country, just a question, can/do you reuse the hydroton after grows? can you just soak them in bleach etc for a period of time to sterilize them again or do you start afresh and get new clay pellets? cheers mate

darwin

I've done 4 runs in this batch of hydroton without mould, slime or other issues. I keep it clean throughout the grow by picking up any plant matter that falls. Just soak em in bleach if there is a problem and flush well. Hydroton lasts for ages.

But this is about The Jiffy Challenge.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Ok so here is 1 of my entrys.

I put up the other one later on tonight.

I just put the seeds in there today. The first one is a cheese seed 2ed one is from this super sooper ooper bagseed dank bud I grew in dec 09.
and the other ones I put the seeds in 3-4 days ago and ill have pix of em soon.
they have sprouted yea.
and the other ones r also cheese seeds.

:jump:

Last edited:

High Country

Veteran
It's night time in the SOG. let's see how The Jiffy Challenge Contender is going. She's asleep now,

BUT STILL ALIVE

picture.php

Some of the leaves are looking a bit dodgy but she's filling up, kind of.

3 weeks to go.