What's new

The hills are alive! 2012

B

Brain

I thought about a Rodenator but then I thought about a flaming vole running away the setting my valley on fire. The garden hose and a shovel seem to work for now.

That plant is fucking huge, S. Betsy? I have seed plants over 6' but my tallest clones are only 5.5'. They are Mendo Pineapple and she will be a much bigger chunk of the garden next year.

V

Veg N Out

Brain -

Bro it doesn't work like that! The tunnel cave in and they are killed by the shock wave and buried in the collapse...BOOM!

Is that just the Pineapple that goes around down South or is it a Purps x Pineapple cross? Is it hella leafy like the Pineapple Wreck? My friends on the coast had a Pineapple in 04 that was just Candied pineapple rings for Days on the nose and went in the bag with good frost...That piece was a Winner...Got pics of it?

PS > Did you ever get that SFV Chemdog ? Did you put it out? They're some of my nicer plants...Will make a bigger appearance next year.

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
Brain -

Bro it doesn't work like that! The tunnel cave in and they are killed by the shock wave and buried in the collapse...BOOM!

I don't think burying a burrowing ground animal sounds too effective, or were you saying it like... the explosion kills them and in combo gives them a proper burial? :biggrin:

in all seriousness though, don't moles and the likes have the potential to do most of their damage in one swoop? as in, before you spot their burrow and, theoretically, blow it up? :chin:

V

Veg N Out

The Shockwave from the Blast kills whatever is in the Tunnel system you've Gassed...

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
The Shockwave from the Blast kills whatever is in the Tunnel system you've Gassed...

I understand that, what I was really saying is; the rodenator is a reactive solution, wouldn't a preventative solution be better? especially considering that the rodents can do a lot of damage before you know they're there, right?

M

mr.shiva

I have a wire mesh and deer fenced enclosure around my gardens, mesh is trenched in several feet. Apparently isn't rodent proof, not surprising, seems to keep rabbits out but not voles & rats. I've killed rats & voles in the traps. Lots o' poison out & getting gnawed. I've pulled and replaced the messed up ones, about 4 which ain't that bad. I have white plastic collars on a lot of them to prevent the stem gnaw, everything next year gets those. Really have to stay on the voles in the spring, we could hear some getting squished when we dumped the new soil in the holes. The rodenator is def something I've looked at.

G

guest8905

they make gopher cages that you slide into your holes before you transplant, you can bury them so 5 inches is above grouwnd and it acts as a nice guard around the base of your plant. also works great on the gophers from below and the sides

fwiw

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:lurk: nice job! enjoying the show.... that one plant seems to be filling up pretty good pretty early huh?

M

mr.shiva

I saw some of those at sparetime, I'll probably give those a try next year. I have something similar in one area in the hill instead of the wire fencing and have less problems there.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
mr. shiva beautiful looking plants!

nothing I love better then some rodent hunting, yeah ha!

My solution was to just use some chicken fence cut into pizza slices around each plant I had after getting something completely dug out of the ground. After a while I thought, hey they are only digging through the ground where I have disturbed the soil, lets just cover the ground there and see if they ever come back. I have to guess from the 2.5" inch diameter hole it was a squirrel. Sorry I saw that rodenator toy ad, and I really wouldn't want to ever use that in season, I mean roots burn right? Funny yo watch though. Can't you just take cement and cover up the hole in the ground? Sounds dumb, but I never had this problem.

No crap the only plant that I ever had a problem with a burrowing animal was a strawberry cough that somebody gave me several years ago. To this day I'll never know what it was about that plant that the little devil wanted, but I was really devastated, never got a chance to hold onto a mother that summer. Too bad.

Looking forward to reading and seeing some more/ Peace on 71716

Latest posts

Latest posts