What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"the high-pod"

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
Damn that is a sweet little setup you have yourself. Looks like it's a great way to veg plants if you have the space to flower them somewhere else. The outcome was great for a first run, but I wonder what would happen if you had been able to flower that under a hps. The results would be nuts. Way to go, can't wait for round two.

flashog

GPW says nothing at all... If you're gonna measure something it should at least be something like "grams per kilowatt-hour". GPW is nonesensical since if i let my plants veg for 3 months before flowering I will get a lot more grams using the same wattage than if I go 12/12 right from start, however I will have used a lot more electricity too. Measure your weight and divide it in your electrical bill, that makes a hell of a lot more sense!

just my 2€

the trash can has a diameter of about 24 inches and is 32 inches tall.....i think it has a 32 gallon capacity...it is a rubbermaid from home depot

flashog

Grats on your harvest mate, and 3 cheers for your brilliant design!
That should keep you high as a kite through winter.. ;)

Last edited:

Kodaxx

Congrats on the nice harvest!!!! I'm definitely building one of these things. What ballasts did you use and how in the world did you do the wiring? Lol

hyposomniac

Kodaxx said:
Congrats on the nice harvest!!!! I'm definitely building one of these things. What ballasts did you use and how in the world did you do the wiring? Lol

Fulham Workhorse 7 or 8 seems to be the most cost effective ballast for this setup. You'll need two.

5.7oz. The mind boggles. I'm in awe of this setup.

Also, I have the most poorly stocked home depots in the world near me.. no shatterproof tube guards to be found.

Last edited:
i used one workhorse 8 and one workhorse 6.....i have been building these diy cfl's for like 8 years for aquariums and shit, so wiring is kinda second nature....i can help if you run into problems....maybe try i lighting store for the tubes...you only need 3 because you cut them in half....on my next go i will be adding either a 70 watt or 150 watt MH spot into the bucket to shine down on the tops of the plants, and i also think i may try a 12/12 from seed run...for reference

this is lit by a 70 watt hqi driven by an electric ballast that i found for less than 40 bucks...

Pig-Pen

flashog said:
GPW says nothing at all... If you're gonna measure something it should at least be something like "grams per kilowatt-hour". GPW is nonesensical since if i let my plants veg for 3 months before flowering I will get a lot more grams using the same wattage than if I go 12/12 right from start, however I will have used a lot more electricity too. Measure your weight and divide it in your electrical bill, that makes a hell of a lot more sense!

just my 2€

GPW is based on flowering only. As I said earlier, it's only a benchmark to gauge how efficiently your flowering (12/12) lighting is being used.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten, but the benchmark is actually .5 grams per watt per 30 days. Since most plants are run on a ~60 day cycle, it was understood that 1GPW is the benchmark for an entire flowering cycle.

It's no more arbitrary or useless than keeping up with how many miles per gallon your car gets. You want the most output for your input, do you not? If your garden is only getting say .1 GPW/60 days, you are wasting a lot of energy. If your car is only getting 5 MPG, you would have in a shop immediately trying to figure out why it's wasting so much energy ($) and not running as efficiently as it should be. Again, it's just a means to gauge how efficiently your plants are using their available lighting. The more you dial in all the other aspects; temps, humidity, feeding, size/shape at flowering onset, etc. etc., the more efficiently the lighting will be used by the plants and the closer to the benchmark you will get.

The problem is that a people speak GPW as a mantra, thinking only that Light=Bud, and forget about all the other things in a grow and the original GPW formula. The available light is the constant, everything else is a variable controlled by the grower, which in turn directly affects how well the plants will be able to utilize the light.

Pig-Pen

inefectualize said:
hey flashhog, that is a really good point! so here we go.....

159.6 grams or 5.7 ounces.....not bad....looks pretty good too!

Bad Ass! And that's a 32 gal.....I thought for sure it was a 55. That's an impressive weight for the space.

I'm going to start planning one these for myself, though a lower budget version. It'll be a nice supplement, I think. :D

Thanks for sharing, answering questions and all that. :wave:

donpuro

This is pretty sick.. I like this idea. Looks like one of those huge cylindrical growing chambers with the plants all around.. but the lights for that were in the middle.

hyposomniac

Pig-Pen said:
Bad Ass! And that's a 32 gal.....I thought for sure it was a 55. That's an impressive weight for the space.

I'm going to start planning one these for myself, though a lower budget version. It'll be a nice supplement, I think. :D

Thanks for sharing, answering questions and all that. :wave:

Actually the 24x32" rubbermaids are 44 gallon.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hell yea bro congrats on that harvest!!! 5 zips of what looks like some quality buds out of a trash can with some cfl's gotta love us stealthy micro dudes!!! + rep

Kodaxx

I'm going to build one of these and if I can figure it out I will document how to build it! So far this is what I've got for a material list:

(1) 44 Gallon Trash Can
(6) Sylvania 55W CFL - 4-pin base, 4100K color temperature
(6) 2G11 Lamp Sockets
(2) Fulham Workhorse 8 Ballast
(6) 1.25" PVC Elbows
(3) Plastic Tube Guards (you cut them in half from what I understand)

---Ballast and socket Wiring
---Heavy-Duty Velcro
---PLASTIC Spraypaint - Flat White

hyposomniac said:
Also, for an extra $10, i'll consider 2 workhorse 8 ballasts, in case i want to add extra lamps later.
Considered! and Updated the list

hyposomniac said:
And I went with (4) 3000k bulbs (4.17 each) and (2) 5400k bulbs, just to experiment a bit.
Also consider experimenting!!

Ehh...Idk about it so far...is this even close? lol I could be off on every piece

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts