What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"the high-pod"

fatigues

Veteran
*only one thing i will disagree respectively with you on. You CAN grow sativas this way as well. Not as care free as an indica albeit, but using LST you can most def. bush that bitch out...doing something similar in my cab, a lot of my ideas came from here and im having a lot of fun and success so far...cant wait to see the yield!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3650691#post3650691

You don't want to LST or do anything else with a High-pod style grow, other than top/FIM/Supercrop your plant if you prefer to. That's it. Leaving the plant alone so you don't have to screw with it is one of the strengths of this style of grow.

The nature of the High-pod is that you have scrogged the lights, not the plant, to feature 360 degree vertical light that gets much larger yields from low branches on the bush than is otherwise obtained from other grow styles. That's how you get to achieve a yield like 6-8 oz off of a 3' tall, 2' wide plant.

Every task has its tool; and every tool its task. This one wants a short to medium height very bushy plant for maximum yield. Cound you grow a Haze in there? Probably. Will it yield 8 zips in a 55 gallon barrel lit with 8x55w PL-L? I sure as hell wouldn't be laying money on that.

If you are fine with sub-optimal yield, grow whatever it is that you like in one of these. Rock on and enjoy. :smokey:

I just don't want to lead somebody to believe they will yield 1 oz per 55w light when they are not choosing the right genetics appropriate to the grow style, that's all.

big twinn

Veteran
Fatigues: Always a pleasure to read your posts! in fact, your input greatly led me too my own setup~!

I agree, a sativa grown this style WILL yield less then an indica in the same setup of this kind.However, i still think it is doable to obtain a decent yield from it. Sativas grow lanky and although LST is more work, it greatly can be used to our advantage in this setup for those growing lankier plants. Please check out my thread above for better examples.

i dont want to rewrite all of what this guy said and plagerize BUT, if you have the time, look over this thread, and he thoroughly explains WHY LST is more effiecent then topping and FIMing, especially for this setup.

im running vertical PLLs 360 degrees much light the highpod, but in a cabinet to add to the stealth. the PLL's REALLY aid in keeping the plant squat and VERY branchy/dense...look at how dense my plants are getting in my thread. currently i only have pictures of the bagseed (as i started with that) and they look to be sativa dominent. LST just lets you manage the stretch.

If you encourage FIM and Topping, why not LST?

alot of people think, by removing the top or FIMming it...you magically sprout 2-4+ new shoots...actually, you LOSE a top! that growth tip contains more then just that series of branching, so by removing the tip, you encourage auxins to travel and dominate the 2 lateral side shoots, but if left untopped, those shoots WILL grow just the same, only with out the middle merristem following up along with it. giving the appearance of 2 merristems, but in reality, if left alone or LSTed you would actually have 3 tops.
all is thoroughly explained (with pictures as examples) in that link though! check it out, it really added perspective to I myself.

is it doable? HELL YA=)
expect the same yield as an indica? hmmmm, like you said, it most likely wont...BUT you still should yield well. the highpod does a great job at that!

I realize that this has been chillin' for a while, but the fact that this thread has influenced so many people made me go back and read it again. Also wanna thank Infectualize again for the great effort.

In thinking about how to optimize this set up for even better yields I had a few thoughts and was wondering if they made sense, or do I have my head up my ass?
Replace the trash can with a tube of Miro, or some other high reflectivity material and mount the lights far enough away from the sides to limit re-strike and maximize the reflected light gained. A 4'x8' sheet of Alanod should result in about a 4' tall 30" diameter reflective tube. Raise the tube so that it sits on a ring with legs or something so that the reflective surface isn't wasted holding dirt. A hydro or soil set up could be slid under the tube. Add another set of six lights in line or staggered above the first set so there's almost a full four feet of lighted reflective tube. Then add an array of LEDs or maybe T-5 double circline tubes as an adjustable top light. Also thought about using a programmed ballast with a really good ballast factor. Couldn't remember what Infect used here (I seem to recall he works with light in his day job) but I assumed they were Fullhams or something comparable. GE and Advance have higher output units that provide 99% of the bulbs stated lumen output, as opposed to the Fullhams that only hit in the 80's.

Between the added height, the higher level and better reflected light, along with maybe a hydro set up, I was thinking this thing could maybe double its output (depending on the strain.Just some thoughts.

Siddartha

Does anyone know how this would work with a perpetual sog or am I completely off base? Maybe just more than one plant rather than a sog, but still, off base? What about adding a center column of four lamps, one every 90 degrees? Just brainstorming.....

With its space restrictions I don't think that sog would work. This is just a stealth grow for one plant for a person wanting to grow for themselves. I'm sure after anyone has gone through a grow with this; that they would be hooked on growing. From there they would probably build or buy a bigger system with better grow lights and the space to start a perpetual grow.

big twinn

Veteran
ever since i read this thread, three cabinet builds later, i have ALWAYS used PLL's in a 360 degree manner. Building a large armoir as i speak, def. will have many ques from the high-pod, my original inspiration on the sides. waiting on another workhorse 8 and more PLLs as i type.

Lord_Towers

so i think I'm going to do a hydroton/coco hempy bucket (perhaps just hydro if people think its an OK idea)

anyone want to chime in about this method in the 'pod'?

so i think I'm going to do a hydroton/coco hempy bucket (perhaps just hydro if people think its an OK idea)

anyone want to chime in about this method in the 'pod'?
Just starting a high pressure aero with a 55 gal. base, a 32" dia. x 50" top, (8) pairs of 55w biax sidelights and an adjustable top light.
Canna Aq on this one and addin' CO2 to a second once I get it dialed in.

quadratur

Very well done to all of you here, very impressive! thank you for the inspiration and thank you even more for the pariticipation with pictures, appreciated a lot :)

Rabid Duck

Great thread, some very good ideas here. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I would like to see how the wiring was done. Wouldn't want to set things afire.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Just thought I would throw this out there since it popped into my head. Great thread btw... really good idea!

Anyways, a gutted water heater would really shine being set up like this.
They are often elevated off the floor so bottom intake would work

It is not uncommon for a home to have 2 water heaters

A drain leading to a floor drain wouldn't be odd

They often use a "power vent" so that would explain the fan and noise as well as the exposed vent pipe out the side wall

They are often wrapped in insulating blankets which would be a stealthy way to cover access points.

To see how a power vent water heater is set up you could probably visit a model home during an open house. Power vented water heaters are more energy efficient and are commonly used in new construction.

I've never gutted a water heater before but I'm reasonably sure it could be done.

Also, as opposed to drainless soil, hempy method would possibly work nice in this although lights would have to be further off the bottom I would think... maybe shorter tubes and more of them.

anyways, great idea, and I hope this can help someone out!

Jed

Gutting a water heater is a piece of cake, making it weigh almost nothing. (I've gutted them to get the heavy tank out of the inside, for use as a feed or water trough for livestock)... There are also Commercial large capacity units that 3' or so in diameter and maybe 6' tall. Hmmmm

I'm currently using a 4', 8 tube, T5, fixture 2'x4', that puts out 40K lumens, with 432 watts @ 3.6 amp (rated). 2 plants under a screen HSTd to cover the whole 8sf of solid light. Works great. PLLs are interesting too.

I read it all so I'll bump it. Thinking of how to use LED these days for similar setup. Could bet more even coverage on the sides...