What's new

"the high-pod"

Unclejesse

whats the chicken wire exactly for

whats the chicken wire exactly for

that green circle of goodness looks interesting ...what is it??

Gucci

Inspiring ! Looks like a very nice strain too. Definently will try this method as soon as possible! Great work!

chasdabigone

hey inefectualize i am totally stealing your idea and have a few questions.

I have got my 2 ballasts and 6 lamps set up, but I have an extra 100w CFL without ballast I want to hook up using the extra 110 or so watts I have left on my 2nd ballast. Will this work?

Can you elaborate about drainless growing... I have looked but cannot find much about it. If I have a nice organic soil then do I just need to worry about not over watering or is there more to it?

420ish

beautiful setup..... thx for the inspir#$:joint:

I went with five 40 watters (4100k) and I think I'm gonna run a Circline 18 watt round tube on the lid for the 2850k range.... it should all run on the workhorse 8.

having problems finding the 2g11 sockets....so I ended up ghettoing some connections using just some blue wire connectors for now. Damnit, why are the 2g11 sockets so hard to find>??? retarded!:dueling:
ttp://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=360-70EDWYNGAYNOR

hyposomniac

Veteran
Second crop in my highpod. Heat near the bulbs is an issue.

e8pav4.jpg

25667wx.jpg

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wow wow wow they look so good.
maybe u need some better air flow in there.
so how many plants u have in that thing.

hyposomniac

Veteran
wow wow wow they look so good.
maybe u need some better air flow in there.
so how many plants u have in that thing.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but there are three plants in there.. I started with 7 and got three males.. when i realized which were female, I vegged them a bit more to fill up the space.. I could have vegged more to really fill it, but I was impatient. It didn't help that I lost a few nice branches to heat from a fan timer failure.

First crop I started with three and ended up with one female.. One plant in this box would take forever to veg out and train to fill the box... I got almost 2 ounces from that run and could have maybe doubled it with more veg and training. Mine was a 50-56 days strain. This time I have one of those, and one SSH that will take longer, and a cross of the two.6
6oz. is truly impressive and will not be easy for me to replicate.

The fan I have on there is a 8" inline duct fan rated at 350CFM from Lowe's.. it was under $40 and provides good flow when unrestricted.. with a carbon filter in place it struggles a bit but still keeps the temps around 77.

For this second run I cut some vents into the top of the clear tubes that surround the bulbs; that helped the flow over the bulbs noticeably, but the vents I cut can still be improved. Plant matter can get to about 1/2" away with no problem, but if it touches the tubes, it will burn.

Tilt

bump for a great idea. I plan on building several of these for a friend for his medical plant limits ran perpetual harvest every month. 1 on 24/7 2 on first 12 hours 2 on second 12 hours. I might even go hydro with the can sitting on a res

herd

just finished the whole thread.excellent idea with proff to back it up.
now i got alot more things to think about when it comes to a "box" to grow in

Greeny

I'm inspired! I'm constantly trying to figure out the best way to grow micro and stealth. This gave me alot of ideas!

Lord Doobie

Ha ha...

I remember the phototron from back in the 70's...
Unfortunately, in Ohio at least (as the story goes), the cops showed up 6 months after you ordered one and asked, "Hey...Are you growing pot in your phototron like 99% of everyone else?"
If you said "No", they asked to see it...If you said, "Yes", they cuffed you.

Nice updated take on vertical lighting...Much more efficient now I'll bet than the outdated phototron

I don't think the OP is around anymore (could be wrong)...Was there ever a detailed step-by-step/how-to on this? Did anyone ever try hydro or passive hydro with this? Offhand, it looks like a bit larger trash can could be used since the flower pot size wastes some of the bulb coverage? Perhaps this is the only close size?

Inquiring minds want to know...

M

mrred

lord dubbie i wonder if thats the case with hose spinning octagon grow things, has anyone ever seen a successful grow with those?

bbing

Ha ha...

I remember the phototron from back in the 70's...
Unfortunately, in Ohio at least (as the story goes), the cops showed up 6 months after you ordered one and asked, "Hey...Are you growing pot in your phototron like 99% of everyone else?"
If you said "No", they asked to see it...If you said, "Yes", they cuffed you.

Damn. Arrested based on statistical probability. Thats had to have sucked back then. Back then in the 70's.

Stoked to see high pod lives on in the inspired.

The surface heat of CFL 's is gonna be an issue. What about slamming a ton of T5's in there? Watt per lumen wouldnt this be a better way to go?

420ish

Damn. Arrested based on statistical probability. Thats had to have sucked back then. Back then in the 70's.

Stoked to see high pod lives on in the inspired.

The surface heat of CFL 's is gonna be an issue. What about slamming a ton of T5's in there? Watt per lumen wouldnt this be a better way to go?

pll's are t5s

ICAN

idea to reduce temps and fan sound

idea to reduce temps and fan sound

First off... amazing project!

now, an idea to reduce temps and fan sound.

Here's an idea to reduce the temps inside... I'm trying a design where the hottest parts of the bulbs are outside of the growing chamber.

The base and right next to it where the bulb gets darkened are the hottest parts, and they don't provide any light either... so I thought why not isolate their heat from the plant chamber completely..

pl-l-4-pin.jpg

With a bit more effort involved, a panel can be placed between the growing chamber and the lid, so only the light-emitting length of the bulbs is within the growing chamber, and the rest is in the exhaust fan chamber. Then line the top of that panel with mylar to further help keep the heat isolated and exhausted.

It's more effort, but it allows a quieter fan to be used. :)

I'm trying out a modified version using a cardboard box.. that way I can have an opening side panel to easily look at and tend the plant. DWC res underneath the box, and the cool-tubes running straight from the bottom of the box up into the fan chamber for better airflow.

I also separated the cool-tube exhaust from the scrubber exhaust, so the fans cooling the bulbs can focus their cfm on that alone, and the plant chamber fan can be slower and quieter (refreshing the air every minute doesn't take a lot of cfm for something this small).

Aside from the ballasts and bulbs I already had (4x 9325k 55w for veg, 4x 3000k 55w for flower), the cost so far is around $200+ for all parts needed including the hydro meters. If I didn't have bulbs already, I'd have gone with the 4100k bulbs from the official high pod.. it goes against a lot of opinions and info, but the photos are proof enough for me! Amazing photos, when it was young it looked like a head of cabbage lol

hazeydayz

First of all congrats on the huge harvest. a few questions...
1) what height did you start flower
2)is there a way you could show us the wiring
3) is there any way you could write a tutorial of how you did it all, as this is the best compact grow ive seen ....and i do a lot of research

big twinn

Veteran
i also am interested in a DIY....we know this method is superb...now that that is proven, the only thing this thread is missing is the DIY guide to complete the objective of this thread and spreading knowledge amongst the community.

Latest posts

Latest posts