What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"the high-pod"

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Damn, color me impressed. I had only peeked at this thread in the past, never giving it much time. I've read through to about page 12 and I'll read the rest tomorrow. Damn, great work here!

Alright wise guy, here yeah go - http://www.1000bulbs.com/4100-Kelvin-55-Watt-4-Pin-2G11-Base-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs/ . I figured knowing where he found them and knowing that each is a four pin plug in putting out 4800 lumans each (first post)...ah nevermind.

no need to be rude, I was asking inefectualize for more info regarding all of the lighting materials, not just the bulbs. I wasn't being a "wise guy"... I was simply reiterating my question as a whole. I appreciate you taking the time to dig in and find the bulbs though. I DID look at the site, but I wasn't sure which bulbs he was using... I see 3 different brands of the same bulb there... Which ones did he use Cozy? What type of ballasts did he use? How about the sockets... or even the wire...? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you don't know the answers to these questions... I'd rather get the info from the source rather than assume that I might have found what I think he was using since I'm gathering this info for someone else. Thanks again though, Grow Safe,
~FF~

knna

FoothillsFarmer, we have disscused some more technical details of those lamps on this thread.

If you want a concrete info, just ask. I didnt provide any wiring info because it depends of the ballast used. Most are very similar, but there are little differences between each brand, and about how many lamps each ballast may run. Aswell, some ballast works with less lamps than the max allowed, while others only works if all lamps are conected and working.

36w models may run on conventional 36w fluorescents ballasts, aswell as on electronics. 1000bulbs has ballast for PLLs, too.

Could you provide a little more detail on how your fan works? Is there a big hole in the center of your lid, and then a circular chunk of dry erase suspended in the middle?

It's a little confusing to me, I would love to see another pic or two better detailing how you did your lid.

Very inspiring grow!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
FoothillsFarmer, we have disscused some more technical details of those lamps on this thread.

If you want a concrete info, just ask. I didnt provide any wiring info because it depends of the ballast used. Most are very similar, but there are little differences between each brand, and about how many lamps each ballast may run. Aswell, some ballast works with less lamps than the max allowed, while others only works if all lamps are conected and working.

36w models may run on conventional 36w fluorescents ballasts, aswell as on electronics. 1000bulbs has ballast for PLLs, too.

Hey Knna. :) Glad to see you chime in here. I have to say I missed the significance of this thread when I first read it. LOL and I've been looking for this kind of lighting setup for years.

For less than $40 at 1000bulbs.com you can get the Fulham Workhorse 8.
From the ballast itself it states that it is approved for lamp combinations of 220 max. wattts of CFS/4P, CFT/4P, CFQ/4P, CFM/4P, Circline, Linear T5HO, T8HO, T10, T10VHO, T10HO & T12VHO Lamps, when used per Fulham's wiring specs.
I don't see why anyone would get anything less for a personal micro grow. :)

a_marie

My High-Pod

My High-Pod

Ironic, since I'm a die hard Zune user :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to infectualize for the high-pod inspiration! And thanks to my dad for help with all the wiring! I would have burned down my house without you!

The details: My can will hold just one girl I'm starting from seed (Eva's Monster). I used 6-CFL 55W lights in flourescent tube guards. The bottom end of the guard fits in PVC fittings that vent outside. I have three additional 3-inch vents along the bottom. The lights are wired to two ballasts (WH6 and an 8), and connected to a timer. There is a thermostat on the inside that has been reversed, and is connected to an outlet box on the can. My Vortex Inline 4 (badass) fan is plugged in to that, connected to the can's lid with a dryer vent. I am not a "handy" person and had to buy most of this stuff at Home Depot... dropped about $400 for everything. But if I get half the harvest infectualize had it'll pay for itself and then some on the first grow!!!

I'm germinating in paper towels right now and dialing in the fan/thermostat. With the lights going and the fans on "low" I'm running a consistance 80F. I'm planning a soil grow, and hope to have baby in the dirt tomorrow evening.

This is my first grow, and I'm really excited to use this design. Again, thanks to everyone in this thread for the advice and inspiration!

My set up:

100_0714.jpg

100_0713.jpg

100_0717.jpg

BADASS!!! That is awesome!!!!! the highpod lives! keep us updated on the plants progress! mine is veging a youngin right now so no flowers....good luck!

2000pm

Man this is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to do! Some questions if you don't mind:

A workhorse 8 can run 4 of these tubes correct?

• how reduced do you think the yield will be if I only run 4 tubes vs 6? I want to run two cans at the same time (staggered) and would like to only buy two ballasts vs four if i can get away with it.
    EDIT**I also discovered my space only allows for smaller 33gal garbage cans. 4 Lights make more sense now? Maybe I'll find a different container so I can get more height out of my allowed width...
  • 55x4=220w, the max rating of the workhorse 8. Is it a bad idea to be running the ballast on its max rating all the time?
  • How long do these bulbs last? (should I change them every grow?)

ty!

The workhorse 8 can run up to 6 tubes at 220 watts. So, yea 4 55 watt tubes (or up to 6 lower wattage, as long as you don't go over 220 watts total).

--Not my personal firsthand knowledge, but Hydro confirmed that he runs his 4 x 55 watt tubes (i.e. the full capacity) with no problems.

HerbreH

Whoa, I am straight up blown the fuck out of the water by this thread.

I've come close to starting a grow several times and each I always decide not to because of the lack of space at my house. This gets a huge thumbs up from me!

Bookmarked, Noted, and saved, let the spending begin.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The workhorse 8 can run up to 6 tubes at 220 watts. So, yea 4 55 watt tubes (or up to 6 lower wattage, as long as you don't go over 220 watts total).

--Not my personal firsthand knowledge, but Hydro confirmed that he runs his 4 x 55 watt tubes (i.e. the full capacity) with no problems.

Stink is correct. I run 4 55w lamps with a single 220w Fulham workhorse 8 ballast. :)

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
All I can say is Badd-Ass yield for a trashcan

Puts my 400 w to shame.. :(

Latest posts

Latest posts