What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

mode[2]

TriCrystalz said:
Has anyone else spent agonizing hours breaking up bricks of coco to be put into pots? :cuss:

The things I do for weed....

fucking tell me about it :badday:

i have 30 ladies under 1kw in 11 liter pots, that's 330 liters of coco required. i was getting tunnel vision alike symptoms after pot number 10.

when i was finally finished my back felt as if i just wrestled a polarbear

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Botanicare Cocogro

Botanicare Cocogro

is a fine grade coco that comes in bales. It's the only one I use, so can only comment on my experience with Botanicare Cocogro.

And it is a pain in the ass, no doubt. I almost switched a while back, but decided not to. I posted as much (always post on this id) in the coco growers thread. Xtrakritikal talked me out of it :D

For some of us--those of us that recycle coco (I do)--it's not an endless, ongoing project. It's a great product for a small scale closet grower--personal use grower. If I were mode[2} I'd find an alternative--that's a lot of hand watering.

I once broke it up--was cutting coco with perlite in those days--it was laborious!!! Let me repeat that:

It was laborious!! I mean a lot of work! But, I'm strong, have done much harder stuff than break up coco

What I do now--and suggest to others that are seriously in need of an alternative--is to soak it. It's fast. And if you use an adequate container (A rubber maid is best, IMO) it is not so messy. You could always put on some gloves to protect your hands--and nails :smile:

The Cocogro will absorb moisture. So, what I do is fill the container with my water, for a bale I like to start with one gallon, adding more if needed--I inoculate with 5ml/gal Cal/Mag+ & Bti-- Then submerge the coco bale into this solution sideways (leaving dry coco suspended--protruding from the water/solution)

The coco will become easy to break up at the "waterline"-- I do it by hand. The amount of water used initially is the key to a good consistency.

Of course, the other alternative is to consider another brand, like Canna--it comes loose in a bag, ready to go. They make great products; and if you went with it I think you'd have great success. Just a thought.

Happy 4/20 to the coco hand watering thread! :D

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
'Tis me again

'Tis me again

With a link, of course--Xtra 2006 throwback...
I was cutting coco with perlite back then--and now follow his method--for the most part--in this thread he did in the double 06
:D Authored by Xtrakritical
**with pictures

:yes: Cocogro by Botanicare​

B

bonecarver_OG

to fluff up a big load of compressed coco i cut it in big chunks - u can use chainsaw or handsaw - no problem - then use Bin liners ot industrial garbage bags. throw in a bucket of distilled water, tie up the sack and leave for one day.

it fluffs up a lot and there is nothing really to break up - max roll the bag around a bit and it should be all loose.

peace all :D

G

Botanicare aka Pele Mix, is the best and cheapest, hands down. You are not sacrificing quality by paying a cheap price for a bale of it. No need to amend it with anything since it is the cleanest coco I have found thus far. (average EC outta the bag is .2-.3)

My new way of breaking it up is putting a couple bales in one of those industrial garbage bags, add water and kick the bitch around a little bit:rasta: When the crop is done, I just dump it all in a few trash cans and let it rehydrate with a potent mix of beneficials till the next round.

U

UBER21

caligreen said:
Bonecarver you got mad experience but I think coco works well sometimes for small pots and letting them get a little root bound. At least with my small pots and my small grow, my small plants are nice and dense. handwatered daily of course ;)

Peace fellas

Yo caligreen those plants look badass in those 6 liter pots :headbange ....Im going into the same pot size and due to space limitations will have to flower them in the same size pots as you did? My question to u or anyone else using small pots for coco is what happens when ur roots start growing at a very fast rate and start coming out from the bottom of the pots and u cant switch to bigger pots due to space? what then? can u still continue to grow a healthy plant and flower it withought the roots being effected? I would think the roots could suffer or get damaged from being exposed out of there pots no??? plz excuse my dumbness on this one.....lol... Thanx

mikessong

Uber21, you can grow coco in small-ish pots with the roots coming out - the plant should stay healthy but yield will be a lot less than bigger pots, of course.

U

UBER21

mikessong said:
Uber21, you can grow coco in small-ish pots with the roots coming out - the plant should stay healthy but yield will be a lot less than bigger pots, of course.

Thanx man I have to go with the small pots due to space but I want to maximize the yield as much as possible with the coco.....no more soil for me......lol....

Hornytoad

12/12 from fem seed

12/12 from fem seed

Just a quick question.

If I were were growing 12/12 from feminized seed would 2 gallon grow bags be a good size for coco hand watering, or would this be to big or small. What would be the best size for a 12/12 hand watered sog. My strain of choice would be Satori under 400 watt hps watered daily.

tench

very good tread!i have i question.can i start seeds in jiffys or small pots with soil and then transplant them in to coco?

Hello B'Carver.

Easy all hand watering coco lovers! :jump:

At the moment i have 1xC99, and 3xDouble Gum, in 12/12 for 5 weeks (on wednesday).
Under 250watt HPS.
Trained and tied.

They were in 3.6 litre (Wilma) pots before entering the flowering cab, but on their entry they were double potted onto 6.5 litre (Wilma) pots (9 litres total).

Water daily (about 1 litre) Ph 5.8. With feed 3rd/4th day.
Highest E.C. 1.8-2.2(ish)

Canna:
Cannazym
Rhizotonic
Bio Bloom Boost
Bat Guano
Coco 2 part (not used yet on this grow)
PK 13/14

Also:
Super Thrive
CO2 Pills
Formulex

I'll have some pics to upload soon.... :violin:

My biggest yeilder in 50/50 coco/perlite.

Reeferman Cherry Bomb 2 (Sat Pheno), 25 litre watered daily. 5 1/2 Oz dry

whodi

Veteran
This thread is huge so forgive me as I don't have the time to read through it all.

I have some freshly rooted clones that i'd like to put in coco. Do I feed these clones with 1/4 grow formula every watering, or jsut straight water?

How do you increase your nutrient dosage with coco.. weekly or what?

using foxfarm grow and tiger bloom nutes.

Thanks,

whodi

B

bonecarver_OG

you can use 50% strength nutes with no problem..

but i normally go full-on when the clones are rooted - i jump up from 20 ml A+B - to 25 ml per 10 liters.

peace!

plumpm0nkey

boss cube ebb n flow?

boss cube ebb n flow?

i want to grow out the cuts i made from the diy ezcloner in the boss cube then put it in a ebb tray.

i used 2 inch cups , should i put the cup in the 6-8" cube keepn the neoprene colar in the cup n all //?

if this is the wrong place, just pretend i never wrote this

Sam Slambam

Howdy Folks!

I have more or less just read this whole thread, a pretty decent feat if I may say so myself!

I have recently made the switch to hand watered coco from soil. So I am still a little inexperienced about the methodology change. I still feel like I would be watering too much if I were to water everyday. I have a couple plants in 1 gallon pots and a couple in half gallon, ( all I had), I last watered about three days ago and they are still fairly wet. I know not to let things get too dry, but don't you want to let the Coco dry up just a little so the roots will seek out water elsewhere? Im wondering if it has to do with my temps being in the low 70's.

Also, I've been posting around trying to find out if anyone has any experience in transplanting from soil TO coco. I have some sickly plants in some soil I think may have been contaminated by a faulty Hydrohut. They are only about 14 inches tall and in one gallon containers. Has anyone tried this with any degree of success? Washing the soil free from the roots? It sounds like risky business to me.

Latest posts

Latest posts