What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Hand Watering coco thread

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High folks.

Heres my latest grow. All in a mix of about 50% coco, 25% Perlite, 25% compost including charcoal/sand/dry ferts/dolomite lime/Azomite.

These ladies are fed organic teas/ferts and nefarious A+B coco line.

Reclining Buddah, Big bud, Mex Sativa, Maroc/Afghani, Menage a trois.

New 400W CMH Bulb. Been running it for 10 days.

Doing my first run with small 1 litre pots handwatered twice a day.

Works well. :yes:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
thanks for the response I S. I havent ran coco yet so i figured id be watering either every other day like i am now or every day, which is the one id like to avoid. as far as vegging goes it all depends on what it is and if theres room in my flower box. i currently use 1 gal pots under a solo 150w hps, but most of the dirt is unused in the 9-10 weeks. will GenHydro nutes work okay with a coco coir mix, or will it have adverse affects?

Bluestar

Canna Coco A+B and water quality question

Canna Coco A+B and water quality question

Hey all, I'm new to icmag, was over at OG a few years ago. I've been lurking in the coco forums, reading and getting ready for startup again. My question is that in this forum, alot of people that use RO water tend to mix it 50/50 with tap water, yet when I look on the bottle of canna, it says it's designed for used with RO or low ec water. I've got 4x bagseed plants that were started in soil about 3 weeks ago. Since then, I've gotten botanicare compressed bricks, soaked in 400ppm solution 5.8PH, and transplanted. They really seemed to take off compared to soil (only been in coco for 1 week), but I really don't want to cause fert problems if I can avoid it. Thanks to all who have posted guides and how-to's, without you all, I'd be incompetent.

I'll be posting pics later today.

B

bonecarver_OG

:D low ec water is what u get when u use tap water mixed with distilled water..

distilled water is 0 ec and not really suitable to use alone.

RO water is different it has a few PPM of disolved salts..

just not to spend a lot of bucks in your grow, mixing cheap distilled water with tap water is a great solucion.

unless u allready have a RO unit ..

:D

Zathir

Hi there :wave:
Thats one of my plants (Hot Mix from Hot Cargo), 3 weeks old on 24/0 with hps 150w. Its in 6 litre flowerpot in coco. Im using GHE flora series and its my first indoor growing.

30389S6306617.JPG

bless~

RaoulDuke

Hi all, Ive been reading these forums for some time now and have found it the most amazing source of info on all things coco - Im only growing on a small scale (2ftx2ft scrog with 2 plants) but im finding coco to be the ultimate grow medium.
I started my coco experience with a unknown bag seed plant that had worked well in soil previously for me and seemed to have the correct stretchy characteristics i was wanting for my scrog (all the info i needed to set up my scrog was also found on these hallowed pages). Im growing in canna coir using the full canna line (A+B, rhizotonic, boost and cannazyme) I start the cuttings in coco in small plastic cups and keep them humid and warm and within 5-7 days theyve rooted and theyre placed under 3 38w cool white flouro's until theyre about 12-18 inches - during vegging ive had some small problems with deficiencies but ive found if i keep the ph at around 5.7 i have less trouble.
In the flowering room (3ftx3ftx8ft cupboard) ive been using a 250w envirolight but recently ive added a small 70w hps and because ive had no problems with temps like i thought i would im gonna try a 400w hps very soon. im flowering in 11l pots and im watering 1-2 times a day with 16ml/4l A+B, 16ml/4l boost, 2ml/4l rhizo and once a week im adding cannazym.
first pic is 2 weeks 12/12 and second is a week later (yesterday)

this is the 3rd scrog ive done using the same method in coco and ive been getting some really good results

Thanks for all the advice ive gleaned from the various sources in this forum (many bleary nights have been spent mezmerised by the info available) especially from the hand watering in coco thread!

ill keep you posted with the progress of this current scrog

EdwardMunch

Hi guys, i was reading as a guest in the forum for a while now (only the coco threads i admit) , have ran recirculating hydro for years, and as i run a handwatered coco sog on the side right now for the first time i have a question for you cocoexperts

-> i read the whole thread and i didnt find the answer to my particular question

-> i have 2l pots (i know pretty small, but the plants should be as well) i use Hesi coco, Hesi Super Vit, Hesi Root Complex and later PK 13/14 and the Coco is from Canna, but i didnt flush??

-> so i watered every day so far with a low concentration EC 0,8 nute solution PH 6,0 ->and the runoff is always a littlebit lower in PH (i would say between 5,6 -5,8 ) than the watered solution

i water to waste as told here on the thread so it shouldnt matter that much i think, but is that a bad sign or something????

The plants look good and healthy and iam really stoked about the root growth in coco, but what happens to the roots that grow out of the pot and hang into the table?
Iam talking about day 4 now -> thats so crazy how they root, i got the clones -> switched to 12/12 right away, and the roots allready are growing out of the little holes in the bottom of the pot.

thats it i think

i would be happy if anybody could help me out on that one

so long

E.M.

B

bonecarver_OG

nice pics all :D and its nice u are keeping this thread alive :D

Edward :D dont worry about the Ph coming out of the pots in the drain water :D coco in it self is acidic :D

peace all!

B

bonecarver_OG

when u get roots growing out of the POT - transplant to a pot about 2 times bigger. if not it will affect flowering - rootboundness is no good in coco either - but u will still have good results - But leaving space for the roots will mean MORE BUD :D the plant doesnt ahve to strugle that much as in a rootbound pot.

when the roots are packed in the pot - it costs a lot of energy of the plant to get the energy - since roots that are close to other roots are not efective.

peace all!

G

guest5703

Bonecarver you got mad experience but I think coco works well sometimes for small pots and letting them get a little root bound. At least with my small pots and my small grow, my small plants are nice and dense. handwatered daily of course ;)

Peace fellas

B

bonecarver_OG

small plants in small pots is allrigth most of the time - but bigger plants give better results in bigger pots. its obvious. no rocket sience involved.

that plant in that pic is smal- i would have used a 6,5 liter pot. anyway - looks ok

the key in this case is to transplant in time - it will make the plant spend more energy above the coco than below. roots confined in a space too small - affects harvest allways. even though it seems the plant is doing just fine - it would have done even better in optimum condicions.

not saying u are doing it wrong son, just saying the plants in best condicions will allways give better results. :D

in bigger pots there is allways more branching because lateral root growth seems to promote a wide canopy. anyway in gardening and landscaping this is moe or less a rule of thumb - and its worth aplying in on the micro scale also. it just makes sure the roots have space/fresh oxygen and less trouble in the search of nutes.

i think to grow plants like tress - u have to grow the plants like trees :D

peace all

G

guest5703

Fo sho bonecarver I know big pots=big plants most times, but in my small area I gotta use 6' square pots and grow tiny babies ;)

No worries one day I will move and grow trees like you do, big fat trees :)

dak1b

WAZZZZZZZZZZZZZUP ! ! !

Ok so I have 17 clones, that are about to b on their 2nd week on veg. This is what I'm using for my babies: This is my MEDIUM: Botanicare Soil Plant energy products...ReadyGro Soilless organic-based plating media...0.001-0.001-0.001 with the following ingredients mixed in: 3/4" doube-sieved COIR fiber, perlite, earthworm castings, compost, seaweed extract, seaweed meal, and leonardite ore. Thats what kind of medium i'm using for my plants. The following are the nutrients I have. I'm only using the Coco A & B for the veg state. Here are my other nutrients for the flowering stage: Bud XL, Multi Zyme, Top Booster, and shooting powder. I'm growing three different strains: grandaddy purp, purple erkel, and blueberry. :) yum yum I'm also using 2 gallon pots with a coco lining and a coco mat for the base tell me what you think and any advise would be great. I've just been hand watering my plants every 3-4 days with about a 10-15% RUNOFF.

hey guys i didn't read through the whole thread but i got a question, anyone here have any experience with the coco tek mats? I just got a 4x8 coco tek mat and i fit it onto 2 of my 4x4 tables which fit perfectly. Seems like it will help me from cleaning my table from algeas also i think i'll love it.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Hey man...i cannot remember if it was covered here or not...but it was discussed in another thread by some respected members in this forum (excluding myself, of course...never had any experience with them..)...so...yes, folks have used them (and like them)...while others cited cost effective alternatives...

read more: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59636&page=2&pp=15

TriCrystalz

Has anyone else spent agonizing hours breaking up bricks of coco to be put into pots? :cuss:

The things I do for weed....
P.S. anyone has some 'methods' for breaking up those rock solid chunks? I like the stab the living life out of it