What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Hand Watering coco thread

wygram

I'm going to be doing decent sized clones. One week for roots, another week to get started in coco pot. The CMH light I have has given people around the forum nice, fat and not overly stretchy plants. So I figure <2.5 ft in height and bushy. A small plant like that can't chug all the water from a 2 gallon in one day, can it? BTW: The CMH is also much cooler than a HPS, most of the heat rises and is moved away from the plants and containers. Additionally they are in black and white poly bags.

Last edited:

bernzoo

heya folks

this is my first post on ICmag and i will upload my next coco grow (1k watt) as soon as i am ready to go.

i been using coco for over 1 year now and i am very happy with it.

i use the entire Metrop series as nutrients and add enzyms with every watering.

i usually start with 3,5 l pots then after 3 weeks of growth i transplant them into 11 l pots.

now here comes the trick :headbange

with the 11 l pots i found out that by only hand watering every 3rd day with 20% run off i was getting kick ass results.

and the other advantage is, this 3 day watering circle is very conveniant.

just add enzyms every time you water and all will be fine.

k, getting ready setting my shit up for the next 11 l pot coco grow which i'll put up in the coco section.

peace out

johnny5

bernzoo

Does the coco actually dry out in that period? 11l is huge for coco, must get massive plants!
Sounds interesting as I m a lazy git by trade
What were your g/w ratio?

Stay safe

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread convinced me to switch to coco. My plants are looking better than ever,nothing easier. Thanks everyone.

B

bonecarver_OG

bernzoo - we hand-watering growers all know we got the best method of growing big bushes in coco ;) :D

i said it before but the relations are simple;

the bigger the plant is - the bigger the pot should be and the plant should get to use all the water it can, but still WITHOUT getting bone-dry (no pun intended hehehe) but the coco should never get too dry.

this balance is not that dificult - just a bit of experimenting.

peace all

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I tried the wet/dry cycle (to save money mostly)...and I won't ever try it again!!! I like to keep the coco wet....

You've been right on this point all along bones...but...I had to see for myself :D

Good stuff guys :wave:

peps1

Hi, just wondering what the best way to store re-hydrated coco would be.

I Hydrated a 10L brick but only need about 5L for the clones Im potting.

This is my first coco grow and am finding the thread a oracle of information

B

bonecarver_OG

a closed plastic bag works fine.

garbage bin bags are also good for soaking big amounts of coco in :D

peace :D

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
That looks pretty sticky, nitetiger....nice...that was a first run? If so, impressive! What size pot was that plant in?

Anybody else handwatering had a harvest?

This Blockhead stalk was pictured a couple weeks ago...it's doubled since then
I hope the buds are fat....just handwatering once per day...but I'm a long ways from a harvest

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
That was just one plant out of 9 that were in the flowering pod. Still got 7 waiting to come down. They're all in 3 gallon pots.

Indica Sativa said:
Buy good, prewashed coco like Botanicare or Canna, and you won't have to worry about rinsing anything.

There is more then enough information in this forum to answer just about every single question you can think of. Happy hunting! If your a noob, don't dick around with the perlite. You don't need it.

I'm going with Canna, should the medium be soaked prior with a diluted nutrient solution when doing a transplant, or straight water and then add nutrients solution to it after. Thanks

G

I'm going with Canna, should the medium be soaked prior with a diluted nutrient solution when doing a transplant

Doesn't really matter, either way, just make sure to feed your babies right after you put them in the coco. Start them with an EC of at least 0.8 ~~

Then ya just gotta pay attention to your babies and feed accordingly.

Last edited:
G

guest5703

Thats cool to see nitetiger^^^ You say 3 gallon pots? So how big were the plants and what type of light?

I have a SDibl under a 400hps right now, hand watering once a day(hope to get 6-10% increased yields right bone;)) So your plant you showed us there looks like four solid tops? and then some lower nuggetry? My SD has almost 9 tops really almost the same height....I was hoping to get close to two ounces. Could you tell me what you think I might get? This is two weeks in flower

Peace guys love the thread!

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Hey Cali, glad ya like it :wave:

Those plants were probably 3 - 4 feet above the pots under a 1kw HPS. For the next run, I've flipped the light vertical.

Here's the rest of the harvest. I pulled them early because they hermi'ed - bagseed, whatta ya gonna do. It's fun to roll the dice every once in a while. I did find one worth hanging onto - good looking, lots of trichs, and finishes in about 7 weeks :joint: So, every once in a while, it's nice to roll the dice.

Here's the current vegpod. I'm giving them a bit more veg, as you can see, to take advantage of the vertical lighting. The little B52 clones will go in young, just because I don't want the flower pod empty for any longer than necessary :biglaugh: All are from seed, except the Cheeseboy. The exact count is 1 B52 mom, 3 B52 clones, 4 Budosia, 8 VBSxBGxPD, 1 Cheeseboy, and the bagseed reveg I mentioned earlier.

All handwatered coco, of course :D

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
killer thread bonecarver, makes me want to go organic coco even sooner than i plan too. would you suggest when i go coco to mix chunky and fine coco coir fibers or go with one or the other? would 1gal pots be sufficient underneath one or 2 150w hps lights, or would 2gal grow bags be better?

G

would you suggest when i go coco to mix chunky and fine coco coir fibers or go with one or the other?

Depends on how you plan on watering them, and how often. The coarser the mix, the more you have to water (best for a drip setup)

would 1gal pots be sufficient underneath one or 2 150w hps lights, or would 2gal grow bags be better?

How long do you plan on vegging them?