What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir D

So let me ask all the organic guys a question, Where does your compost come from? Does the worm farm import any compost or do they make it all themselves? I ask this because in my search for good ol organic compost that most places say they have I'm always finding pieces of plastic in all these "organic" composts. Is organic compost supposed to have plastic in it? My first logical assumption would be no but I've been wrong before. So furthering my search I've found out ALOT of these soil company's are using compost from the dump, I mean where else are people gonna get so much compost material anyway? Is there any places that make strictly green waste compost? Yes yes I know they say it's only green waste at the dump but I've seen the process and it's not some shizzle gets in there. One source that is supposed to have reputable soil has been found out to be importing recology soil in their mixes and I only wonder how many more are doing it? Either way please let me know if u know of truly green waste compost in the grass valley area.

L

Luther Burbank

I don't think I can speak to your question because I'm not in the grass valley, but I make my own because the quality in what you pay for generally isn't as good as what I can make. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of room to stretch out, and a lot of free inputs from various farms/gardens/neighbors.

Bulldog420

Veteran
Sir D - That is why I never buy green waste compost. I ALWAYS find plastic in that compost, and who knows what has already broken down? Same with EWSF, they feed the worms green waste and I find plastic even in that soil mix. Humans can be disgusting.

That is why I normally go with animal manure, but depending on what they feed and inoculate the animals with.....ext ext.

That is why so many recommend starting your own compost. I have chickens that I compost all that poop with the green waste from my own yard. I let that cold compost with worms and so far so good. I just got into this property, but next year I hope to produce 2-10 yards of compost for the following years native soil treatment. Gotta think at least two years out, if not hundreds with permiculture techniques.

BluesHarp

Thank You All you have made this thread and ICMag a wealth of knowledge and valuable insight for outdoor growing, I've learned so much..Can't wait to test my limited skills...

bamboogardner

Malibu Compost, BU's Biodynamic Blend is some of the best compost you can buy. The highly recognized Clackamus Coot recommends it in his forum, and it will be an integral part of the Coots Mix I am formulating with the help of Michael Astera. Rare Earth has it in both bags and totes. I think they had 17 totes of it just a few days ago. Call there and ask for Jamie. She is one of the owners and a great gal.

Don't take my word or Clackamus Coots word on it. Buy a bag and decide for yourself. That way you have no one to blame but yourself if it does not work out. Happy Mixing.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
yah RE were hyping the Malibu compost so i had them throw some into my soil mix , definitely didn't hurt

5yfzLRHl.jpg

milkyjoe

Veteran
Good to know...my list...turkey diestel, stuff made with the midwest bio ag composters and now malibu. If it ain't one of those I want a test

Bo Hasset

guide me through this like i'm retarded.... im on rare earth's page and see the totes of compost but nothing about their potting soil... where is it hiding

Bulldog420

Veteran
I think we are mistaken. They have Malibu compost, not potting soil. Correct me if I am wrong.

guide me through this like i'm retarded.... im on rare earth's page and see the totes of compost but nothing about their potting soil... where is it hiding

Last edited:
A couple of phenos of GRS 5g's Red F3

and HarleTsu.

RIP Ringo

Attachments

• 5g red f3 pheno 1 - Copy.jpg
    5g red f3 pheno 1 - Copy.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5g red f3 pheno 2 - Copy.jpg
    5g red f3 pheno 2 - Copy.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
  • harletsu1 - Copy.jpg
    harletsu1 - Copy.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 14
  • harletsu2 - Copy.jpg
    harletsu2 - Copy.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 12

OldRod

May I say I hate you guys that don't know what caterpillar damage looks like!! I know all too well, and yes, that is caterpillar poop for sure. BT sprays help a ton. Spinosad as well.

Im not so sure to BT can help it.
Have same problem for years and still do not know what mouth make this problem.
Moth lay larva inside of branch, rarely steam but when is plant young.
All this happend around Jul/Aug.

I do BT from preflowering til last 10-15 days before harvest and it doesnt help me but it rocks in catepillar war on the buds.
This year I cut some branches, infected was almost every single plant by 2-3 branches.

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
they always go for the biggest juiciest buds

waking up early and killing caterpillars has become kind of a zen ritual for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts