What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

somoz

Veteran
Ocean forest is super inconsistent, I've been using it for 5 years and sometimes you get a good batch and others you get a bad one that burns everything. i used it my first few seasons for full term and it does the job but definitely some issues, ones that i hoped to avoid by switching to EWSF! but anyways we also did a soil test on our 2 year old FFOF and they came back pretty bad, PK through the roof as well…. i only use happy frog nowadays for transplants and veg starts, it seems a bit more consistent.

so if EWSF is no longer an option, what other places in the 530 can mix up some good blends? i wanted to add another 80 yards or so to my piles next year. I'm almost tempted to cut everything with Black Gold to cut down a bit on the PK since its so light. I did a side garden for seedlings in black gold and its very light soil almost feel like I'm growing in Coco..

Vermifire ain't bad, did some side runs with it and amended to our liking. Also, I've had zero issues with the Durham Worm farm in the 530. That's where I initially bought my 120 yards and guys were super easy and accommodating to work with. They have all the dry amendments/compost/casting/manures one needs in order to build a generator soil.

This is where FTPM recommended I use a couple years ago, so it's safe to assume that he is using their dirt as well. They have a build your own mix on the top left side of their website so you can see everything they carry.

L

Luther Burbank

I tried out some Vermifire for a run when I was first getting set up in Cascadia because y'all were talking it up a couple years back. I was quite pleased with it compared to other bagged soils.

I should keep better notes. Does anyone want to contribute information on around *when* they start seeing flowers being thrown, and maybe the *general* latitude you lie on? I really dropped the ball this year with this new cross and could have topped one or two times more this year but didn't because I was thinking flowering was right around the corner, and man I was wrong. Really lost out on some filling out.

Last edited:

bamboogardner

Vermifire is inconsistent. I have a soil report from their soil that shows very high K like EWSF pushed out this year. I can post it if needed. Could have been a bad mix. I think it is important to Logan Labs any purchased soil before utilizing it.

Edited: As a side note, I am working with Rare Earth as we discuss this to provide a Coots mix that will be right on the money as far as Albrecht's ratio is concerned.

Bulldog420

Veteran
Vermifire is inconsistent. I have a soil report from their soil that shows very high K like EWSF pushed out this year. I can post it if needed. Could have been a bad mix. I think it is important to Logan Labs any purchased soil before utilizing it.

Edited: As a side note, I am working with Rare Earth as we discuss this to provide a Coots mix that will be right on the money as far as Albrecht's ratio is concerned.

post that mix up when you get a chance. My mix this year was close, but the compost put the K levels real high, and my trace minerals were low.:tiphat:

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
at this point with that much damage, and with a smaller plot the best way to control it is to take a giant hash hit, then go spend an afternoon out there searching each and every cola and picking off and killing the caterpillars by hand.

Thanx Prop! Im on my out to do that right now at 5 pm.
Just picked up some BT Concentrate. Gonna soak the girls down.
Its safe to use on flowers right?
picture.php

When you find signs of caterpillars like poop on a bud, find that bastard. They usually eat their way up the bud so search in that direction. Sometimes you will see a little brown, dead, dry piece of bud in a big cola from far away. There is a caterpillar in there. And they prefer big buds.

Theres my logans analysis. Typical scenario. I've already been bringing down the soil pH with sulfur, succumbed to adding a very light dose of ammonium sulfate to help with that and add some N, been spraying albion calcium and cal mag, along with some earth juice micro blast. I think it's been somewhat too little too late, but despite the lockouts and deficiencies nugs are frosting, stacking, and swelling. I doubt I'll have any award winning quality at this point. I'm sure the stresses the plants have endured will show in the final product. Just trying to get through and looking forward to rebuilding next season with added knowledge and experience in my arsenal.

I still wanna know what threw off the pH of the ewsf soil..

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
What a beautiful place to grow some tree.
Giant, round, dense nuggets of pure fire with
Fog wisping through the background. Just lovely. Thank you for that.
:bump: on the Free Kanga!

L

Luther Burbank

I miss Kanga ;_;. I hope he's well, or at least safe and not rotting in a cell.

Bo Hasset

FFOF soil. That is all.....LOL
I dont know how you guys mix up your own soil every year .....
Its not easier to just buy a few pallets of pre-mixed soil?
Then re-use it and add fresh every season there-in-after?

If "a few pallets" would work, then maybe.

2.0 cf x 50 (bags of FFHF on pallet)=roughly 3 yards of dirt.

One 200 gallon (and thats small these days) fits roughly 1 yard.

So for 48 we're talking 16 pallets bare minimum, or about 8k.

You ever seen the trash 8k of bag soil leaves behind?

Urbngroz

I been using BT for years, the most effective one Ive found is made by Southern AG and sold at HD. Omri approved and works a lot better than the safer's brand carried at most hydro stores

C

Cep

Thuricide works well. I treated 2 weeks ago and found this guy the other day:

He took out some of the leaf before he croaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts