What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ConfirmPassword

would love to hear tomhill or ganja chime in and see if 24 is really possible. it was a bumper crop season, but it would help settle the debate if he had a picture before the first round of harvest..density of the strain also matters, i have seen some LBs this year that have some super dense rockhard nugs and the bags look a little smaller.
As for the big fish that got away story the year my friend grew that 12+ lb plant said a guy up the canyon grew one of the same cut 20+. I never saw that plant or pictures. He said there are some pics. That guy had a small hydro generator on the creek and supposedly that plant filled a 20 x 20 greenhouse covered in supplemental lighting. It was a super sativa leaning NL5 x Haze that finished around December 1. My buddy had a smaller greenhouse with just a few lights helping out. The thing was still throwing of fresh pistils like crazy. His plant was un frikkin believable. As for the one up the street...I dunno..my buddy never has lied to me. Phil here grew like a 12+ Mental Floss the other year out in the open. For sure some peeps have had to grow some monsters last season.

growbig789

gonna see some big plants on this?? looks interesting... wondering what some of the big plant growers from around them parts and on ICmag think about this upcoming show? wonder what the result/reaction will be if any...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/04/discovery-weed-country/

Discovery announces new series 'Weed Country' -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO

by Mandi Bierly

Just call it “Weed Wednesday.” On Feb. 20, Discovery premieres two new series: Pot Cops (9 p.m. ET), which is fairly self-explanatory, and Weed Country (10 p.m. ET), which goes deep inside the Emerald Triangle — a remote, fertile green goldmine on the border of Northern California and Oregon — to document the battle between marijuana growers, dealers, and the authorities who want to keep the medicinal product from falling into the wrong hands.

“Heavily armed with weapons and helicopters for aerial surveillance, these hardline law enforcers will stop at nothing to take down the growers’ operations and cut off their supply chains,” Discovery says in its announcement. “As the pressure intensifies, turf wars and battles erupt between neighbors. Will the growers win the fight to change hardline political and social attitudes? Or will the authorities be able to bring them down once and for all?”

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Once again, Page 400, post # 5994. Not saying it is true, just what dude claimed.

View attachment 192665 This plant already had 14pounds harvested from the top. The biggest plant I have ever seen. It was also the biggest plant anyone in the area had seen. There is easily another 10+ on the plant.
I haven't been back to hear what the final yield was.
Grown from seed and it was dank!

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
24 lbs is pretty effin impressive, and i would say doable with the right genetics and a big ass plant to start with, to place in your bed/mound.

seems everything would have to be dead nuts throughout the entire grow.

so anyone else gettin the itch?? hehe, ive got clones just now rootin up, and start some seed here in a week or so. lookin for a good early start, and 2 to 3 footers to place out this year.

will be doin 200gal smart pots on pallets this year, we used 60gal in one of our tunnels last year, plants were a bit tight together and suffered some were they didnt get good light from other plants blockin the light, and still averaged 4 per. we are lookin to bring in 5 per this season. i think we can hit our mark.

we have a spot for a shot at a few monsters, be just a few plants, but we are gonna try for a max on a few good yielders and see what we can accomplish. everything will be in FFOF, and mix it with somethin to try and control the PH throughout the season. here we have 8.5 all over the state,so its always a bitch havein to mix up water everrytime.

S

SeaMaiden

I definitely have the itch going, have not yet picked up any potting soil to start seeds, though. Gotta get it going! Zoning restrictions have put me back on the track of growing fewer, but much larger, plants. I was working away from that, keeping them smaller, but growing more.

CBF, if you can at all, consider using peat to basically filter the water, making it softer and less alkaline. Or, use it in that mix to accomplish the same effect. I used to use peat as a filtration media for very delicate South American fishes, and I know it works great. Do you have to have water delivered, or are you using irrigation water? I don't mess with the irrigation water at all, only address the soil.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
gettin ready up here got my fence company coming to extend my barbed wire fence from 50'x50' to 50'x100'. 50x50 was way to small for 34 200 gals. this year i will goto 400s and give them twice the space!! cant wait to see how they do! good luck this year boys!

smoooth

Anybody got some recommendations for greenhouses? Was looking for the cheaper kits similar to the "hoop houses" would build my own but don't have the time this year so looking for a suitable replacement.

ickyweed

Definitely going hard in 13....this will be the most epic one yet...

Nice to hear there are some big plans out there. We always see what they look like when they are big, since that's what this thread is about, but where do they start?
What does your garden look like this time of year?
What do your plants look like up until transplanting outside?
When do people start prepping soil?
How do YOU prep you soil?
If you get soil tests, how comprehensive is the test?
How do you determine what amendments to add and how much?

Sorry when I started typing i did not mean to type all that but I'm a newb w/ lots a questions. Also not directly asking just your opinion but would like other big hitters out there speak up so we can gain some insight on what it take to prep for these monsters. Have lots more questions but i can wait until later in the season to ask those.

ickyweed

Definitely going hard in 13....this will be the most epic one yet...

Nice to hear there are some big plans out there. We always see what they look like when they are big, since that's what this thread is about, but where do they start?
How do YOU prep your soil?

Sorry when I started typing i did not mean to type all that but I'm a newb w/ lots a questions. Also not directly asking just your opinion but would like other big hitters out there speak up so we can gain some insight on what it take to prep for these monsters. Have lots more questions but i can wait until later in the season to ask those.

warthog

ive been having the itch for to long now. hopefully i get something going this summer.. lots of ideas. its already getting so warm it makes me wanna pop some beans.

also, extremely skeptical of the 24lb plant. ide say its not possible in 1 season. 15-18 lbs might be believable for a long finishing sativa but 24? :rolleyes:

localhero

whats all the fuss about? i had a 24lb plant once, wasnt all that big. now if you mean the weight of the cured buds... well thats different.

V

Veg N Out

Thats a chicken or the egg question

A little snow on it, all the beds are ready to get tilled and have a cover planted in them soon..

Perfect or I throw them out

Now, this includes going to the compost farm and lining up my custom mix and delivery dates, servicing my equipment etc..
How do YOU prep you soil?

I use a windrow turner
Fruit growers labs does the tests
Match albrechts ratios with protien nutrient sources...

Best of luck

smoooth

Start planning ahead of time is all I gotta say. I Started planning about 2 weeks ago and I feel that was a little too late....

Y

YosemiteSam

We got to move this year...a pesky police infestation last yr and they don't exactly make a spray for that. Just when you start getting the skills it is always something, I swear. But we carry on.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Start planning ahead of time is all I gotta say. I Started planning about 2 weeks ago and I feel that was a little too late....

I disagree for me personally. I started my beans this time last year and had early flowering issues when I put them out. I had my light schedual down to 14h light, and really made an effort not to stress them out with any changes when putting them outdoors. I think the perfect time to pop your beans is mid to late march, have them all sexed and ready for transplants into mounds/smart pots by May 1st. I find the most important thing about growing large plants is VIGOR. Without constant vigor the plants will not produce the same. Leaving plants under floresents or some other less than desirable enviorment before putting them outdoors can cause major problems down the road.

Now if you have a big enough set up where you can keep 3-4ft plants in vigorous growth, then maybe my thoughts are wrong. However with my t-5's and tent growing (like I have) this isn't possible.

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hup 234 What you want does't re-veg. They grow through the normal season. I got seeds from some guys in Kona who had a 14 month strain. I got seeds and started them in Oct and to stunt them and 1 did but 2 grew through and the next Oct they were 20ft tall and just starting to bud. Pot was not leagel back then and Green Harvest got them.So I know they are out there good luck on finding some. Aloha

there's a guy in waikoloa who has a plant called elephant ear that lived 15 yrs ...or thats the story ,never seen it

Status
Not open for further replies.