What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
I put out a mother this year to test this debate for myself ....again. IN the past decade I have found that mothers aren't the best. Last year my four mothers were too old to produce anything really. The old growth that had turned woody never grew quickly and filled out and turned into monster tree. It was like the new growth only extended from the previous skeleton the plant had when it was moved outside. The top of the plants were good, but on such spindly legs that it was a joke. They were all hashed.

This year my mothers aren't as advanced in age. I decided to take the best of them and cut it down to size. I cut out massive parts of the internal bush and was left with just the best top 6-8 leading shoots. Next I dug a huge ass hole so that the plant... 4 feet of it ... could be buried with only a foot or so above the ground. I spread the four main branches out so it looks like 4-5 small plants in the same hole. Ill get some pics of it. Put 3 big bags of compost in the hole as well. It should be noted the pot was only like a 2 gallon pot.

I think the biggest factor must be how the mother is cared for. I try to keep mothers in small pots to conserve space. This results in really root bound masses in small pots. THis is what I think hampers so many outdoor transfers of mothers from pot to soil. IF your mother is in a big pot and has been replanted into subsequently larger sized pots then I think your mother will flourish outside. If you have a 5 foot mother in a small pot and take it outside, especially if the mother is old, then your success will be lowered.

As I have said my best growth is from about 12-16 inch starts... I cut all but the biggest branch off and bury up to its neck in soil.

Urbngroz

Its been my expirience that a younger healthier start does better, but I am down south and start plugging the second week of april. But my biggest plants ever were from seed that was started in mid Jan inside and put out in April. The younger starts also seem to be more resistant to pest,disease, etc

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the longer ya keep um, the tougher it is to get um to finish. have a few plants in big holes, and im gonna plant some with 2 and 3 plants, see if yields are close.

was talkin with Tom, and a later plantin, with multiple plants per, might be a viable way to get the yields, and not have to start to early, cut down in fuel, power costs and be able to extend the vacation season:D

WOOT

Z

Z-ro

a later plantin, with multiple plants per, might be a viable way to get the yields, and not have to start to early, cut down in fuel, power costs and be able to extend the vacation season:D

Bro If we didnt have to worry about plant counts, this would be the only way anyone would grow, we only grow large plants because we have to.

The smaller plants vs large plants isnt a theory, its a fact, large plants cant compare.

HorseMouth

April first cuttings for the win. We're dragging the lifespan of these plants out way beyond where they want to be. The younger your plant, the higher her resistance to pathogens.

If you start the plants on April 1st, and you don't suck at cloning (7-11 days in the aerocloner- depending on strain or I toss em as slackers) they will be in their 10 gallon pre-transplant pots by May first. By June first they will be 3-6 feet tall depending on starin. I crowd them in the veg greenhouse so they shoot straight up. I like to put a nice tall plant into the final pots.

Nothing wrong with taking a round of cuts on march first and ten cloning right off them on April first.

Something slow vegging like Master or Bubba might get started March 1st, but anything stretchy and sativa would be a little early.

I'm not saying that growing monsters is impossible if you start M1, just that resistance to pathogens is diminished and in general, older plants are less efficient plants.

Nomaad, I think this post from you in Feb is also a telling note of where you are coming from. I like this, and I did do a cloning on March 1st, and one on April 1st.

I kept 5 of my early March clones, have them in a separate raised bed that is already having the Black Out tarp being pulled. Started June 1st

I took 18 from my April 1st cloning, and have them in my larger Greenhouse (Also a BLack Box) and will be pulling the tarp on June 21st

All clones were from the same Blue Dream mom. On transplant dates, None of the clones where root bound.

I'll post pics, and keep note which on Harvest weight. The 18 will ultimately be taller then the first 5 when the tarps are pulled.

Love this thread. Wish I had a +Rep to everybody posting on this one.

Temps still in the low 30's at night, but still the best grow season weather wise in the last 4 years.

Peace

V

Veg N Out

This year I started my cuts in Mid April , they went in to the GH in early May...They're ready to come out in the next couple days and go in to the ground. Everything is at the same size or just a bit smaller than my years past but the health is literally 100% improvement over ever year past..

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
April first cuttings for the win. We're dragging the lifespan of these plants out way beyond where they want to be. The younger your plant, the higher her resistance to pathogens.

If you start the plants on April 1st, and you don't suck at cloning (7-11 days in the aerocloner- depending on strain or I toss em as slackers) they will be in their 10 gallon pre-transplant pots by May first. By June first they will be 3-6 feet tall depending on starin. I crowd them in the veg greenhouse so they shoot straight up. I like to put a nice tall plant into the final pots.

Nothing wrong with taking a round of cuts on march first and ten cloning right off them on April first.

Something slow vegging like Master or Bubba might get started March 1st, but anything stretchy and sativa would be a little early.

I'm not saying that growing monsters is impossible if you start M1, just that resistance to pathogens is diminished and in general, older plants are less efficient plants.

Nomaad, I think this post from you in Feb is also a telling note of where you are coming from. I like this, and I did do a cloning on March 1st, and one on April 1st.

I kept 5 of my early March clones, have them in a separate raised bed that is already having the Black Out tarp being pulled. Started June 1st

I took 18 from my April 1st cloning, and have them in my larger Greenhouse (Also a BLack Box) and will be pulling the tarp on June 21st

All clones were from the same Blue Dream mom. On transplant dates, None of the clones where root bound.

I'll post pics, and keep note which on Harvest weight. The 18 will ultimately be taller then the first 5 when the tarps are pulled.

Love this thread. Wish I had a +Rep to everybody posting on this one.

Temps still in the low 30's at night, but still the best grow season weather wise in the last 4 years.

Peace

Yep, yep yep...My op is pretty much as yours H. I start in late Mar/early April but not to grow monsters. I do it to get a 1st cut and have the cuts be 12 to 21 inches before turn out in June. Also, I am able to determine and select best phenos from the different strains I have rounded up. Its a double your clone money thing and guaranteeing quality phenos...lol I put the moms in the black house in mid April with supp lighting and have a roll up system (black plastic on PVC pipe) for daytime sun thru the spring...

The theory that a plant is too tired to yield good results due to cuts taken or the plant is too big or too old, lol...Seems like a lot of over-thinkin...CC

OrganicBuds

Veteran
If you think about it, people are still breeding with plants that are over 20 years old. I think an extra month or two wouldn't hurt.

Shoot, some grape vines are hundreds of years old.

nomaad

Veteran
Grape vines and cannabis plants are not comparable plants. Cannabis is an annual. Its only meant to live one growing season. Grape vines are meant to come back each year. Perrenial. With good care, hundreds of years.

Grape vines and cannabis plants are not comparable plants. Cannabis is an annual. Its only meant to live one growing season. Grape vines are meant to come back each year. Perrenial. With good care, hundreds of years.

surely cannabis started life as a perennial? most it's relatives still are, perhaps it adapted due to man?

Last edited:

Dirtboy808

Veteran
I have had a strain that I started in Oct and it grew and got harvested by the cops in Nov of the fallowing year. It was over 17ft and was just starting to bud the guy I got the seeds from said 14 months. This was in 81 and in Kona and no more. No pics well there is one it is in the archives in the paper front page some day I will go take the time to find it.
Aloha

Your statement matches your name. Cannabis is a herbaceous annual plant and will always be an annual.

PW

You so sure with the always will be? nothing stays the same forever... if it does it usually dies out!, and I'd say thats just what cannabis has done over many years not died out but adapted.. most hop types are perennial yet some are annual like japanese types... damn why do my plants reveg!!!

ps: to be pedantic it's not a statement if it were, it would not contain question marks.

M

MummyCat

Quick question about my compost tea and humic acid: Since humic acid is less soluble in solutions less than PH 6.0 should I be adding humic to straight water and watering with that after/before applying compost tea? Or is it fine to add it to the tea recipe first while the solution is above 6 (I would think that it might come back out of solution after the PH falls below 6)? Or maybe I should just drastically reduce the amount of stuff going into the tea and brew a much watered down version with the humic in it? Any help is appreciated

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
MC, no need to add humic acid while it's brewing, so either water with it before/after like you mentioned or just add it to your tea before watering.

organic P

Are you serious? Humic Acid makes the tea go off!

are you checking your teas with a scope? i thought microbeman or some of the other tea experts saw no additional microbial activity with the addition of fulvic acid to teas. and in some cases slowed microbial reproduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts