What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive had all my shit plugged in now for 2 weeks. roots are fillin them 200s real nice. cant wait till the oven turns on! next year im veggin all my shit in 45s cuz the 2 45s that got transplanted into the 200s are out of control already. ill take pics tomo for everyone! cheers from Maine.

Hell I'm GROWING in 45's in my outdoor (backyard grow though) and thats a step up from the 15's I used last year LOL....can hardly wait to see your pics AG, your shit is tight!

Ya damn areo.you had to use plastic grow bags and cut them away. I cant think of another way.I try and transplant before roots circle so large pots want crunble with handling

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i used growbags for my transplants this year..and will NOT be using them next year...way too flimsy and the sides of the bags get super hot. i should have just used basic 10 gal containers....when you try to pick up a 10gal plant in a grow bag the sides like to tear away..

planting early for the bigger root systems is one reason i want to get supp lighting next year....

damn veggin in 45s aero...you shoulda put those into 300 gal pots!! post up some pics of those monsters..

V

Veg N Out

I use grow bags because you can cut them away and just pop the plant in. Black wall plastic pots retain and absorb much more heat than a grow bag does...You shouldn't be trying to move them around when they're heavy with water any way Y4P215!@! Last year I had some plants in black plastic pots and some in black grow bags..the ones in the grow bags had better root systems than the plants in the black plastic pots...I'm not sure how plastic pots would do if you painted them yellow or something though..

it's been my experience that racing to get them in early - while it gets you a bigger root mass , it also gets you a root mass that is harder to keep healthy and get to do its job come crunch time...Taking these beasts out of their natural cycle is a scary dance.....

I'm looking more towards genetics that will get as big as I need them to inside my limited season..Like a select keeper out of the Monkey Haze line...Something that has enough vigor to get that biomass for high yield.....And enough OOMPH to do the job in the marketplace as well.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
interesting...that and price were the main reason i used GB this year too. had a hell of a fun time cutting up smartpots on last years transplant....GBs are a bitch to fill up as well, you need a midget helper there to hold the plastic open otherwise its an awkward job of balance and some wasted soil...

i was moving them indoors and outdoors to harden them up..but i guess if i just built a damn greenhouse next year i will eliminate that need to move them...in retrospect one of the most important things i should have done this year and that i would tell everyone going for monsters (GREENHOUSE + SUPP LIGHT), for some reason i thought the indoor veg situation would be enough but now i worry i have fallen behind again with 25% of my garden. got a dozen 4-5 footers but the rest are only 3 footers..

oldhaole

Veteran
It's been my experience thar when you mess with pots or growbags the main taproot will get kinked somewhere along the line.

Normaly not a big deal...but it is conceiveable that it could cost you some hieght.

After I prepare the soil, I'll plant 10-15 seeds. As they grow I'll cull out the weakest, the questionable, and leave what I consider the strongest. Since I'm not dealing with containers, the tap root grows straight and deep.

My seeds were put inground April first. All have been culled, pulled over, the keepers chosen and are going on six feet.

I doubt with your seasons and the possibility of a cold snap this would be of any help to you mainland growers. Just an example of another way to skin a cat.

V

Veg N Out

It's in this thread you just have to sort through it to find it brightlightmojo...

Y4P215 , despite what many would have you believe,,, having a 3 4 5 6 ft plant to plug really has no bearing on the yield...In a matter of fact, the plant that has more veg time on it prior to being put in the sun is going to get circles turned on it by a fresh start planted on time and left to do its thing...learn this lesson from me that took me 3 years to learn...

You never thought to put the grow bags in a wheel barrow and fill them ?

Y

YosemiteSam

Monkey Haze definitely has enough punch. I wish I had found one that had the yield. Nice that you are growing it Veg...looking forward to seeing the result.

V

Veg N Out

YosemiteSam - I'm from the "AAA" Camp..I will take 4 pounds of AAA over 7 lbs of Blue Dream any day of the week...

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
here are the pictures that i promised...

2 of them were transplanted into 200s from 45s next year i will do all mine like this. the rest were transplanted from 5gals. pics were taken today and plants have been in ground for 2 weeks

LVPK in the great north woods

V

Veg N Out

Are you going to plant more plants in those pots with the individual planted on the edge of the pot??

Aeroguerilla

Veteran
Are you going to plant more plants in those pots with the individual planted on the edge of the pot??

hah i was wondering what you were talking about took me a minute... yea that 1 plant i was training and top snapped off so just stuck her back into the dirt for shits and giggles... only 1 plant per pot

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
It's in this thread you just have to sort through it to find it brightlightmojo...

Y4P215 , despite what many would have you believe,,, having a 3 4 5 6 ft plant to plug really has no bearing on the yield...In a matter of fact, the plant that has more veg time on it prior to being put in the sun is going to get circles turned on it by a fresh start planted on time and left to do its thing...learn this lesson from me that took me 3 years to learn...

You never thought to put the grow bags in a wheel barrow and fill them ?

FWIW, my best yielding plants of all time went out the tallest. I put out several fresher smaller younger clones of the same strain in the same sized pots and they did half as well as the 6 footers that year. Not a controlled experiment by any means, but my best results with Blue Dream, Fire OG and a couple of others have always come from getting them as tall as possible in the greenhouse between may 1st and the first week of June...

I will say that this could also be extremely strain specific. One of my favorites is best when put in as a younger, fresher plant. I don't have the same kind of side by side experience as I do with the aforementioned strains, but I do think that they want to go in fresher, maybe even a little later in the season for best results. In fact, the most amazing results I had with this one were from cuts taken from the outdoor monsters and put into 10 gallon pots at the end of July.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^i thought you liked eating children? lol....

best plants planted end of july? i was also thinking of doing a 'second wave' of smaller ones in 100 gals or something after i plant all my large ones....

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
FWIW, my best yielding plants of all time went out the tallest. I put out several fresher smaller younger clones of the same strain in the same sized pots and they did half as well as the 6 footers that year. Not a controlled experiment by any means, but my best results with Blue Dream, Fire OG and a couple of others have always come from getting them as tall as possible in the greenhouse between may 1st and the first week of June...

I will say that this could also be extremely strain specific. One of my favorites is best when put in as a younger, fresher plant. I don't have the same kind of side by side experience as I do with the aforementioned strains, but I do think that they want to go in fresher, maybe even a little later in the season for best results. In fact, the most amazing results I had with this one were from cuts taken from the outdoor monsters and put into 10 gallon pots at the end of July.

I agree with ya Nom...There are too many variables in play to really make the statement "smaller plants do better" COMPLETELY valid. And yea, different strain tendencies would be a large variable, IMO. The same theory applies to yields. You cant truly argue better yields from smaller plant starts without comparing growing conditions, feeding programs etc. But, IN GENERAL, Ive found the indicas (purples) do much better when grown larger before planting. My experience, sativas are a toss up due to their faster growth rate to begin with. IMO, yield claims aside, I believe the biggest advantage to starting with larger plants is it tends to lessen transplant failure ratio. Personally speakin, and that's all it is, being able to cage the larger plant at the same time of planting (spring weather can be very unpredictable) minimizes potential damage from wind, rain, critters etc, it saves steps and most important, eliminates the time and efforts required in the "babying" process of smaller plants...CC

Aeroguerilla

Veteran
yea i disagree with the smaller plant do better theory.. i bet the plants that got transplanted from my 45s yield 2x as much as the ones that got transplanted from the 5gals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts