What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolldaddy

@Sierra

We are on "IC probation" till we have 50 posts. So pm don't work properly and we aren't allowed to chat either and a few other restrictions till we make their quota.

At the top of the page click "forum menu" then "forum guidelines" not too long of a read and it explains in more detail.

Kinda unclear about pm's because we aren't supposed to use it supposedly but I guess their cutting us new jacks a little slack so we can send 1 at a time

nomaad

Veteran
First get your soil analyzed. You'll want a "container medium nutrient test" since you're technically not working with "soil" for which the analysis would be different. Also send a sample of a fresh batch of the mix you are working with.

Then you'll know to what extent you need to amend.

I use pre-mixed amendments. Tons of choices on the market from EB Stone to Growilla to [what I use]. I use 25-50 lbs of these mixes per 200 gallon pot along with a bunch of EWC and extra alfalfa meal.

Very important to turn it a couple of times before amending. The more turning the better.

Make SURE to employ a serious program against soil borne pathogens like fusarium and pythium.

To be really safe, i would recommend either building a soil cooker or properly solarizing your soil before reuse. The fastest way to do this would be to rent a pressure washer with a steam generator. One man could sterilize many many yards of dirt in a day with such a kit. Downside of steam vs slower methods (cooking/solarizing) is that it will kill beneficials alongside pathogenic microlife. Upside is time saved. You can always rebuild microlife with product.

M

MummyCat

What the fuck. A simple-minded animal eats a meal, a plant, something it can't even comprehend has value for you. It doesn't even comprehend the concept of value, and your response is to kill it *slowly* and then brag about it on the ic?

By all means rid yourself of pests, but do it quickly and humanely. There's nothing to be gained in killing anything slowly, except a fucked-up mind.

I was actually kidding about the slowly part dude :comfort: I'm just still pretty butthurt about losing that plant (and two others)

...but he did get business end of my shovel :)

M

MrSterling

I was actually kidding about the slowly part dude :comfort: I'm just still pretty butthurt about losing that plant (and two others)

...but he did get business end of my shovel :)

:thank you: Sorry for being overly-passionate, and I hope there are no hard feelings. I don't like arguing or getting into it with people. Much of my life has been spent working with animals though, and often nursing animals back to health which have been injured by humans for fun. It's left me with a hard heart towards people sometimes.

Thank you for the photos of the smartpot chewed! I guess there goes that defense. It tends to be that if a vole or a mole wants to get through something, they will.

Pax tibi,

Mr. S

M

MummyCat

I have a soft spot for animals too dude, I just act tough on the internet :biggrin:

....Hell I paid an extra $250 to have my baby chicken put under while she had her leg amputated from a hawk attack. I'm famous at the vet for that one. :laughing:... but back on topic

I had three plants go down in smart pots last year so this year maybe I'll have to break down and get the rodenator :)

M

MrSterling

I have a soft spot for animals too dude, I just act tough on the internet :biggrin:

....Hell I paid an extra $250 to have my baby chicken put under while she had her leg amputated from a hawk attack. I'm famous at the vet for that one. :laughing:... but back on topic
:angelshug:

Hawks are always a danger! Last one that tried nailing one of our birds was apparently an adolescent red-tail. It nailed the chicken, but then sat there unsure what to do until the chicken started *PECKING* and got away unscathed. Never seen anything like it.

Back on topic indeed. I've been trying to find information about alfalfa and using it as a component of soil mixes for triacontanol. I thought I saw nomaad mentioning it as being part of his mix, but then I'm hearing triacontanol may interfere with flowering?

HorseMouth

I run chickens. Almost fell out of my chair with that $250 Chicken Story.

Did they have to fly in tiny instruments from cleveland? Costanza style.

I have Red Tails all over the place out here. In Fact, Cascades Brewing Co. runs a Red Tail Ale that's pretty good.

GL to all

Peace

nomaad

Veteran
I have not found that triacontinol adversely affects flowering. I have always used a it via specialized bloom nutes and all of my amendments have been alfalfa based for the last two years. I use no triacontinol in my veg nutes. I only use Brix Mix during veg.

I was thinking that maybe its possible that the triacontinol was responsible for the late trigger on the Pineapple Cough a couple of years back, BUT I don;t use it in bloom till things have obviously triggered. When they start to stretch I may give them a couple of high N root feeds along with the Brix Mix, then, once flowers start to set, i move to the bloom nute program.

Y

YosemiteSam

There is tria in Ca 25 also. It is in the waxy leaf like substance they talk about. Once upon a time someone showed me the actual patent though...tria is part of the secret.

V

Veg N Out

Those of you using Calcium 25 what Non polar solvent are you using to break the prills down in prior to diluting in to water? What ratios of NPS to Ca 25 to water have you found to have the right amounts of 1-Triacontanol & Ca for ganj? Bless it up...V

nomaad

Veteran
Brix Mix recipe has been repeated many times in this thread. Most recently, last week?

VegNOut: still using microbe lift BTi? At what rate do/did you mix it? Been using gnatrol, but I found a 16oz MLBMC that is still within its shelf life... I forget the dilution.

odogyouknow

Ahhhh, c'mon veggie mon, don't hold that egg of knowledge over our heads asking us what we think is in it....

O.K. I'll ask, how is a non polar solvent beneficial to Ca25 foliars?..... and if so, what do you find most effective or non-effective and why?

Are we talking about the oil leftover from the thanksgiving turkey fry, or what?

Madhemp

Those of you using Calcium 25 what Non polar solvent are you using to break the prills down in prior to diluting in to water? What ratios of NPS to Ca 25 to water have you found to have the right amounts of 1-Triacontanol & Ca for ganj? Bless it up...V

Non polar solvent? prills? Like O. P says, I just mix it with water as per the directions. Could you please explain to those of us who may have never heard these terms what you mean?

Thanks
MH

nomaad

Veteran
Interesting.

Microbe Lift BTi: 9.?%
Gnatrol DG: 6.38 %
Gnatrol WDG: 37.4% !!!

I bought a small container of the Gnatrol WDG. 90 grams broken down from a 16 pound pail. The pail costs 2-300$. I paid 40 or so for the 90 grams to see if I liked how it diluted in my rezes.

The instructions that came with the 37% Gnatrol say:

light infestation: 1.26 grams per gallon by weight
heavy infestation : 5.5 grams per gallon by weight

so... 126 grams per 100 gallon reservoir. That's a lot. I have been using BTi in much smaller amounts to great effect. It would seem that the application rates are WAY over the required amount.

LionPaw

Here are some of my biggest plants

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=162864&stc=1&d=1334801242

Attachments

• DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00356.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00388.jpg
    DSC00388.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 13
V

Veg N Out

Non polar solvent? prills? Like O. P says, I just mix it with water as per the directions. Could you please explain to those of us who may have never heard these terms what you mean?

Thanks
MH

Prills refer to the form Ca 25 comes in..it is neither powdered nor pelletized.

A non polar solvent does exactly what the name says. Like dissolves like....Non polar compounds are soluble in non polar solvents, and polar compounds require polar solvents. Some NPS incude Acetone, Xylene, Toluene, Hexane, MEK.....

i just agitate my ca 25 in water. and it seems to work. is this wrong?

No it isn't "wrong."

Ahhhh, c'mon veggie mon, don't hold that egg of knowledge over our heads asking us what we think is in it....

O.K. I'll ask, how is a non polar solvent beneficial to Ca25 foliars?..... and if so, what do you find most effective or non-effective and why?

If you read the Ca25 patent you'll see it includes triacontanol, this substance is not soluble in water and requires a non polar solvent in order to become completely miscible. I am assuming that for 100% efficacy, dissolving the Ca 25 in a NPS prior to application as directed by the patent is required. I haven't played with this and am curious if any others out there have.

Are we talking about the oil leftover from the thanksgiving turkey fry, or what?

Definitely not

Bless it up

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Here we go again, just add soil. And water. And a whole lot of intention....

Spring cleaning done, pots leveled, I love this time of year.

Best wishes to all for a bountiful 2012-

:tiphat:

picture.php

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
nice pics lionpaw and rootwise!

assembling my veg starts...got a bunch of 2-3 footers in 10 gallon pots vegging out indoors...mostly OG, bubba kush, and DieselBerry x Witches Weed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts