What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
and i am NOT saying that you should be disrespected JUST because of your low post count. Just telling you from personal experience that its how it goes around here... i have an account with some real posts and rep jacked... i was sad. cause i thought i was cool. 4 green squares n shit :moon:

A good way to get posts up is to start a thread in the appropriate forum and when people ask questions, always answer them. you get posts and rep for being helpful. BOOM!

looking forward to seeing what you got going!

and thanks man... i do not take that compliment lightly. I am only here to engage conversation and mutual education about conservation and locally sourced free materials... getting people thinking about what they have all around them!

oh and growing A+ with said free shit (literally shit)
Manitoid
i appreciate all your tips. ps. i remember all of the original manitoid posts before he got all ghosty on us ;)

lemme shake this stomach flu and bust out some pictures and thoughts of my own in the morning. thanks? for understanding, glad i was just informed i dont need a min post count to post pics. cya soon.

T

Trinity Gold

Can't wait to see your pics... Wonder who you really are.

PS>> On a side note about not watering, I have some Afwreck x Cherry Thai's I pulled because I froze them and I threw them on to some mounds I was going to use for veggies and the root balls I dug up grew in to the prepared mound , they got rained on a couple times, and maybe once a month I splash water on them..They APPEAR just as healthy as the field..but the field is coming up on 10' diameter and 8' tall...and the ACT's are about as big as when I pulled them out.

oldhaole

Veteran
Time for The Update

Time for The Update

Another beautiful Hawaiian grow...on time and under budget.

Biggest is 14 ft tall and 22 ft around. A homemade Thai cross. The rest of the gulch has plants 12 ft tall or more. All should yield in the 3 lb or more range.

Planted in ground, in March, from seed. The compost was free and provided by my dogs...dog shit compost.

Fertilized three times with deer blood, blood meal, and doing great. The only thing I did wrong is put them too close together. But I have a mere 5 acres and I hide them so nobody can see them from off my land....Limit is 21 plants, because I can't hide any more.

I water depending on sun or clouds. I water with tap water every other day, or every third day.

So far so good. They are just starting to flower....so they may get a little bigger....maybe another couple of feet...who knows?

Last year my 21 holes yielded more than 40 lbs. This year I should easily break that record.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 12
  • Hole 4  8-11.jpg
    Hole 4 8-11.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Hole 3  8-11.jpg
    Hole 3 8-11.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Holes 7 & 8 8-11.jpg
    Holes 7 & 8 8-11.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Hole 6 & 7 8-11.jpg
    Hole 6 & 7 8-11.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Hole 12 8-11.jpg
    Hole 12 8-11.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 11
G

guest8905

oldhaole, very nice, aloha!

D, love those shots bro!

hope all are having a nice summer.

Madhemp

Oldhaole, Thanks for the island update, your plants look great!

On the watering topic if I recall correctly, when TH was asked he said he went with 10% of the container size so that a 300 gal. pot would use 30 gallons per watering. Allowing it to dry out pretty well between waterings. As I recall the large amount of perlite and allowing the soil to get fairly dry allows for a lot of oxygen to get to the root system.

At some point in the thread there was an assertion that pot will grow well under any number of watering regimines, but once established it doesn't like to be changed.

That being said, it would seem that with large plants being the goal there must be an ideal water/oxygen/nutrient level. of course that would be dependant on tons of factors including, temperature, humidity, substrate, species, hour in direct sunlight, container type (to name a few). I guess part of the trick to all this is figuring out what works best in your own situation. The one skill you see in all best growers is the ability to "read" the needs of their plants and to respond before issues become problems.

One of the strengths of this thread is the diversity of experience.
one of the other strengths is the feeling of brotherhood (and sisterhood).

MH

P.S. repeatedly posting when you have nothing to say to boost your number of posts only makes the worlds longest thread even longer.

Oldhaole, Thanks for the island update, your plants look great!

On the watering topic if I recall correctly, when TH was asked he said he went with 10% of the container size so that a 300 gal. pot would use 30 gallons per watering. Allowing it to dry out pretty well between waterings. As I recall the large amount of perlite and allowing the soil to get fairly dry allows for a lot of oxygen to get to the root system.

At some point in the thread there was an assertion that pot will grow well under any number of watering regimines, but once established it doesn't like to be changed.

That being said, it would seem that with large plants being the goal there must be an ideal water/oxygen/nutrient level. of course that would be dependant on tons of factors including, temperature, humidity, substrate, species, hour in direct sunlight, container type (to name a few). I guess part of the trick to all this is figuring out what works best in your own situation. The one skill you see in all best growers is the ability to "read" the needs of their plants and to respond before issues become problems.

One of the strengths of this thread is the diversity of experience.
one of the other strengths is the feeling of brotherhood (and sisterhood).

MH

P.S. repeatedly posting when you have nothing to say to boost your number of posts only makes the worlds longest thread even longer.

considering ive had an active open account for a few weeks now and have less than twelve posts still. some of those post being multiple paragraphs. saying im rushing to get my post count up is foolish.

your post just repeats what we have all read. at least i bring new thoughts to the table.:laughing:

Madhemp

considering you have only had an account for a few weeks and you have already created such a bad vibe pehaps you should reconsider how you post (or just leave).

You see, in your post you had two sentences and each one of them contains an insult (I am foolish, and I bring nothing new to the discussion).

These are the kinds of posts that are leading people here on the board to start thinking that maybe you are as much of an a-hole as you seem. (hard as that would be to believe).
If you would like to continue bickering, let take it elswhere, this is supposed to be about growing large plants.

My appologies to the board

MH

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Seawater

Seawater

The Romans had a saying:

Money is like Seawater.
The more you drink, the thirstier you get....:ying:

Can't wait to see your pics... Wonder who you really are.

i know i said this morning, still not feeling well.haven't got outside yet today but heres a shot out my window. this plant was planted quite a while ago now, she has drank less than 200 gallons this year, her soil mix is plenty aereated and the foilars have kept her perkier than ever.

although this year wasn't as hot as usual (outside placerville) still many days in the upper nineties and a few in the low 100 range.

i guess i have to lighten my tone if anyone is gonna respond well to me here. anyway tgold, always enjoy your posts and pics. 10 ft posts for reference even though its sloped quite a bit.

im also all about bud sites and have worked hard this year to create plants that give me the most, ill get out there soon and try to show up close how my plants are layed out. i expect between 8-10 pounds of dried / cured from shown plant. ill take more though if the rains are late and the sun is shining who knows.

have alot more to talk about but have to do some inside work now. be back soon.

ps. nice greenhouse link. wonder if jagger realizes hes been arrested yet. :laughing:

i think now is a great time to also discuss beating the weather with these big ones.the bigger they get the more difficult of a chore it seems? i mean beyond using hortinova and caging.temp shelters perhaps i dunno. lots of ideas. :wave:

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 15

somoz

Veteran

Damn, that's a pretty site but some balls to say the least. Why not get three or four spots and spread it out and make each one medical, instead of just blatantly asking for a visit. Cuts the risk down substantially. Wish there was more pics and it's pretty hilarious if you read some of the comments. My favorite is when you click on the pic, it states "beautiful."

Y

YosemiteSam

I am curious about your mulching methods greengoldylox.

I am assuming this is how you create a well aerated soil without a bunch of perlite. Are you no till? In the ground? in pots? Cover crops?

If you are what kind of mix did you start with?

If I had a secure spot that would be the way I would want to do it. In the mean time though I kinda gotta take my pots with the compost pile in them and put em where I can.

And I think that might be a part of the water difference. Once roots fill the pots they tend to dry out very quickly. Not the best for the microherd which may be why teas seem so valuable to this style.

At any rate I love to hear opinions other than mine. You never know when, or from whom, you will learn something that works for you.

nomaad

Veteran
POTFARM_t607.jpg

tight operation. i'd be interested to know what the size of those greenhouses is. 4000 pounds, huh? that would be about 100x2lb plants per GH... u need about 8x8' for a fully rounded 2lb plant... (chime in anybody if that doesn't sound right)... thats a total of 6400 square feet per GH... so if the GHs are 64x100 it might work out... and while they may be 20x120 or so...

I think 4000 lbs is pushing it... if they are dialed in maybe 2800 or 3200 in a single run... real dialed in. I'd say its more likely a 1500-2000 pound per run operation. At least LEO only doubles it these days... it wasn;t too long ago...maybe three years... when it was SOP for them to over calculate by 10 and 20x.

Not so sure that ganja grows that have their own zip code are a great idea.

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
all done with that. 2012 blackbox Headband

:ying:

Congrats on the harvest.

If I may opine on the quality of the trim... I like it cleaner than that. I know HB, like the SD, can have an unseemly "y" stem on it, but that nug just looks a bit hairy for my taste.

If you're gonna hand trim (especially if you are going to pay for it to be hand trimmed, you might as well go the distance.

We just took down the first plants from the dep... Cannot wait to start smoking the freshly cured.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Congrats on the harvest.

If I may opine on the quality of the trim... I like it cleaner than that. I know HB, like the SD, can have an unseemly "y" stem on it, but that nug just looks a bit hairy for my taste.

If you're gonna hand trim (especially if you are going to pay for it to be hand trimmed, you might as well go the distance.

We just took down the first plants from the dep... Cannot wait to start smoking the freshly cured.
picture.php

The guy who trimmed for us is severly disabled. He did the best he could. Im real proud of him, as he is growing several very big Sativa and Haze testers I made this last winter. His garden is very healthy and awesome. I just like to kick some smoke his way. He really does need it. Operations and broken bones all the time. I usually have an interpreter when we speak. and he does speak english. Its just so You know Bro. No weird vibes at you man. You and I are friends

picture.php

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
22 greenhouses

22 greenhouses

That story reminds me of the guy that gifted a massive Seed collection to my Son. You had to drive over 45 minutes after you got on the dirt road in Humboldt county. There was no electricity. 4 neighbors on the road. The guy bought each of the neighbors a giant green house, and they split the crops. He said he was going to make 2 million bucks that year, and reportedly did. The guy didnt even smoke weed. He gave us some dynamite old seed though. about 2000 or more. Many in packs of 5 10 and 15, several bulks as well. Shit you cant buy from seed banks.

Last I heard, someone cut down a redwood on his property. He came home with 15 pounds in his car and the ranger was waiting for him.

nomaad

Veteran
No weird vibes. Don't get me wrong: I wish I were smoking that HB right now... I am in a very monotonous relationship with a QP of indoor Bubba I scored a few weeks ago... I think its great that you have somebody to trim who is getting what they need out of it and that you are getting what you need out of it. That's what makes it all go round.

I wasn't so much commenting on your post as segueing into my own head...

I am about to embark on a trim... and my head is all about getting the most from people who are making up to $300 a day at a very low stress job with perks of having your nourishment needs catered to and high quality ganja to smoke all day and night in whatever quantities you can handle and still do your job. I provide a great environment and amazing food and expect the work to be based on the same principles.

No prima-donnas or union organizers this year. I have cut out dead weight from past seasons and have a great group this year. I'm looking forward to it. Some of my favorite people come from far away to sit at the table. I was originally going to create a signed agreement of some basic rules and responsibilities, but I have the group so stacked with talent, that I don't have to worry about it.

I was a little worried about the size of my plants a couple of weeks ago what with the overwatering and temp drop, but they have more or less stretched to fill their pots. They are nearly the size of last year (my soil amendment regime would seem to have worked) and they have more tops and budsites.

Maybe its going to be a banner year after all. It will be nice to retire this garden triumphantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.