What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra Organics

Wow! Everyone is doing a great job on here! Some great gardens to be seen, thats for sure. Looks like its going to be a killer year for a lot of u on here despite the shitty start. Everybody keep up the good work. Ironically my biggest problem this year wasnt the weather but rather bad genetics. Definetly learned my lesson on that and only the best is going out next season. I should have known better than to be so trusting. The majority of whats out there is good though.

Been busy with an Indo harvest so im a little behind on getting the trellis netting around the trees but got an 80" wide roll of hortonova ready to go.

As far as watering goes, earlier on when the plants were small I was getting away with once a week, then it was every 5-6 days. Probly gonna have to increase it to every 4 now and then maybe every 3 as they get real thirsty in budding. It really depends on how hot it is, so it could be more often or less. Never ran pots this big before so ill do whatever the ladies tell me. Im doing old school hand watering with a 1 1/2" pool hose coupled to 2500 gallon tank which moves a ton of water. I feel I have a lot more control this way than with a drip although i could be wrong. I'm game to try a drip system, i just never got around to it and im not that familar with em so I just hit the ladies with what i think they need.

all pots r 800 gallon smart pots 8 feet wide except for a GDP in a 1000

Good luck to everybody! Budding season is here! and man did it creep up quick

picture.php

Blue Dream​

picture.php

Double Dream​

picture.php

Blue Dream​

picture.php

Testing a Grandaddy Purple in a 1000 gallon smart pot 9 feet wide

picture.php

picture.php

OG Kush​

picture.php

OG Kush​

picture.php

Slangheat

1000 gallon smart pot

Lord o mercy!

Manitoid

Crazy lol :)

SO, I was wondering if you feel there are diminishing returns in pots that large, to the point where you would find it more efficient going with less soil per container? Between the 800 and 1000 do you notice much difference?

I don't mean this as a critic at all, I'm amazed at those bushes - but I'm curious, since you've gone with such huge pots, if you've found a point at which soil volume vs plant size becomes less efficients? (early sorry if i make no sense)

T

Trinity Gold

What's up!

Sierra Organics - Dude! Next year I'm doing 750s!!! Proof is in the pudding bro! You've got some NICE ladies!

GreenGoldyLox - Instead of them stepping in to bud naturally having the lights on 24/0 since May 9 made it so when I turned them off they vegged hard for about another week and then immediately started preflowering. I have 2 gardens I did the lights on till July move and 1 garden I used no lights at so at the end of the year we'll see what kind of difference, if any, it made.

What's up!

Sierra Organics - Dude! Next year I'm doing 750s!!! Proof is in the pudding bro! You've got some NICE ladies!

GreenGoldyLox - Instead of them stepping in to bud naturally having the lights on 24/0 since May 9 made it so when I turned them off they vegged hard for about another week and then immediately started preflowering. I have 2 gardens I did the lights on till July move and 1 garden I used no lights at so at the end of the year we'll see what kind of difference, if any, it made.

any noticable difference so far?, assuming you have the same clone in both situations.

i think 750 is a great number based on what i have experienced. i have a plant in roughly 2000 gallons of soil this year just for the hell of it (recycled soil). although very healthy i dont see any difference between it and a plant in less than half of that of the same clone.

although comparing a 200/300/..../800 i see notably bigger healthier plants.

also if you have the time to dig it up, maybe a picture of last years bomb threat this time of year, i have a couple new strains that are structured just like it and am trying to get an idea of what i may yield on them. would i be correct recalling u got around 5 a piece off of them?

BIGGS

Veteran
holy mother of ganja, those are some fucking monsters you got there Sierra Organics mate. truly outstanding!!

nomaad

Veteran
Siera organics... way to go, bro! Those are true MONSTERS... next yeasr I will only be doing 25 big ones and you can bet your ass the pots are going to be huge. I was going to order 400's @ 82" wide, but maybe I will add another 12 or 16 inches. Thanks for the inspiration. Very interested to hear about your yields.

I have one concern, though... It seems as if most of your support structure is buried in your pots. Last year, I had serious problems with a few plants in 200's that had their support (10' bamboo) sunk into the pots to a depth of 18" or so... When the rain came, they just fell over, support and all. This year I am using 4 t-posts per pot with bamboo connected to them with wire ties.

I was wondering if you have any support I can't discern from the photos and if not, if you have any plans to reinforce with something stronger and stuck deeper into the ground independent from the smarties. I kinda see some posts that look like they might be meant for a final layer of support... With plants that big I would probably use 6-8 posts... It was nightmarish watching my biggest plant, a pineapple cough just slump out of its pot with all its trellising as it took on rain weight. It was a late to trigger and had 2 weeks to go...

Again, man... kudos. Your plants are precisely the dimensions I aspire to.

Y

YosemiteSam

Sierra Organics...first of all, holy shit bro.

Secondly...have you done any digging around to see how well the roots are filling the pot? I am also curious how root development is near the bottom of those pots. Regardless though...straight up killin it.

When did you get em in the final pots?

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I keep coming back to look at Sierras plants.

I had a bunch of buddies up above placerville, in the Mt Aukum area who were growing giant plants starting in the 60s or early 70s. Some of the strains were awesome! Sierra Madre Maroon, Lemon Lemans, Red Lebanese/Afghani, Thai.

If i remember correctly, some of the plants were up to 16 foot tall. My buddy had a woodwoork shop with a 14' tall roof he built just to hang the plants. I saw plants with the stem touching the ceiling, and the top buds laying out about 2' on the floor.

It was great, until CAMP started buzzing everyones land. Everyone went small on plants size, and moved into part shade. We didnt know much about indoor growing back then. Im glad we can grow in full sun again.

Fucking great job Sierra! Apple trees! :)

I love the terracing for those plants Sierra Organics. I wonder what sort of ground cover will grow in your area that will hold those earthworks inplace through the winter. Perhaps after the growing season you will have enough time before the frosts to lay sod down? Failing that I would suggest a really really heavy mulch of straw. Rock it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts