What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

humboldtlocal

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hey this is my first year outside i have a bunch of mr. nice that is ready as well as some ssh and orange diesel my only problem is it started raining today and i dont know for sure if it is ok to harvest during the rain can anyone help me with this answer? should i harvest now while its raining or should i wait until next saturday which is when the weather says its going to be sunny again im just worried about leaving them in rain for a week. thanks i really appreciate all the help from everyone in this thread

Y

Yankee Grower

hey this is my first year outside i have a bunch of mr. nice that is ready as well as some ssh and orange diesel my only problem is it started raining today and i dont know for sure if it is ok to harvest during the rain can anyone help me with this answer? should i harvest now while its raining or should i wait until next saturday which is when the weather says its going to be sunny again im just worried about leaving them in rain for a week. thanks i really appreciate all the help from everyone in this thread
If ready to harvest, shake the stuff off a bit, trim as usual, hang and just make sure you have good air circulation (oscillating fans). Obviously better if you can run a dehumidifier in the drying area.

If it's gonna rain for a week and everything is ready then cut it. Only think you will gain is a greater chance of getting bud rot. If cloudy/rainy they sure aren't gonna mature much more.

Can you cover things if for whatever reason some stuff is not close? You can go through bad stretches of weather but some stuff holds up better than others.

NorCalMeanGreen

Late Prevention

Late Prevention

I'm just curious... what do you all use for prevention when you are WELL into flowering besides BT?

For example, what do you do to preserve the trichs and the hairs to stop powdery mildew? Or what do you do when you find a colony of spider mites making their way across your plant?

We managed to get through the entire season without too many problems, but as soon as we stopped spraying neem on the plants, it wasn't much after that mites, aphids, thrips, mites and PM popped up.

I've seen various tips on several threads, but since I've got very large ladies, I need some ideas that apply to them. For some of them, I can't even get all the way to the very top because they are in smart pots above the ground and too wide to get up to the middle even with a ladder. So I'm interested in hearing how some of you deal with these kinds of issues. When proactive measures don't work for you all, what are your reactive measures?

As always, any feedback and info is greatly appreciated. Everyone's looking great this year and mother nature has been kind to us after a crappy start and a horrible end last season, so I'm thankful. :)

NorCalMeanGreen

HL - Just ridiculous man! Just 3 words for you...

HL - Just ridiculous man! Just 3 words for you...

Incredible, humbling and inspiring.

Very well done sir.

jdkronyk101

I'm just curious... what do you all use for prevention when you are WELL into flowering besides BT?

For example, what do you do to preserve the trichs and the hairs to stop powdery mildew? Or what do you do when you find a colony of spider mites making their way across your plant?

We managed to get through the entire season without too many problems, but as soon as we stopped spraying neem on the plants, it wasn't much after that mites, aphids, thrips, mites and PM popped up. :)

i think the main thing is to start with a sterile enviroment, then running super healthy plants and a healthy foliar spray regimen is key. really it is actually hard to have problems with all those things when you never had them in the first place. but when the cuts come to you infected (mites, mildew, whatever) you are just waiting for the problem to take off. in that case (already infected) its just a matter of when.
if you start sterile its easier to stay bug and mildew free. most of the time as growers, we are actually the culprits. we buy infected cuts, we forgot to spray, we went to our buddys infected garden and then in turn infect our own later that night...
a closed circle system works best...i.e. nothing gets put into rotation until proven sterile. and no one works in your garden except you. people who work multiple gardens have the most chance of spreading infections. general nursery hygiene and as few visitors as possible is a must.
hope that helps,
j.d.

simos

When proactive measures don't work for you all, what are your reactive measures?

There isn't much you can do at this point.

The experts in this thread have proven that a proper prevention routine works wonders. If you can keep everything healthy and your brix high enough, your plants will not be appetizing to pests, and will be able to fend off the majority of fungal/mildew problems.

TG has used the phrase "acceptable losses" a number of times in this thread, and I think that's the way you have to look at at. Sounds like you'll be fine so long as the problems aren't too widespread, given that your ladies are large and in charge...

My amateur advice is to nip it in the bud. Appraise the level of damage, and then excise all unacceptably infected/infested plants and plant parts, and hope the problems can be contained to the existing areas.

Cheers

Bulldog11

Veteran
I don't have any monsters like the people in this thread.:comfort: However, in my back yard I had a couple that topped over 1lb. It was this thread that started me in the right direction with the smart pots and fertilizer options. Thanks you guys. I am great full for our ICmag community for threads like this one. :)Until next summer....Bulldog11 out.

DutchGrown - Oger99 pheno a
picture.php

DutchGrown - Oger99 Pheno b
picture.php

DutchGrown - Sweetest99
picture.php

DutchGrown & Reservoir seeds - Killer Queen Redux
picture.php

Reservoir Seeds - 4SD
picture.php

NorCalMeanGreen

There isn't much you can do at this point.

The experts in this thread have proven that a proper prevention routine works wonders. If you can keep everything healthy and your brix high enough, your plants will not be appetizing to pests, and will be able to fend off the majority of fungal/mildew problems.

TG has used the phrase "acceptable losses" a number of times in this thread, and I think that's the way you have to look at at. Sounds like you'll be fine so long as the problems aren't too widespread, given that your ladies are large and in charge...

My amateur advice is to nip it in the bud. Appraise the level of damage, and then excise all unacceptably infected/infested plants and plant parts, and hope the problems can be contained to the existing areas.

Cheers
Thanks! That was a good summary of the advice I was looking for.

NorCalMeanGreen

Foliar Spraying

Foliar Spraying

Wow, I love how responsive people on here are. It's great to be able to ask a question and get an answer so quickly, so thank you guys for that.

So another question that was lightly touched on but not fully discussed is foliar spraying? It's well understood that you don't want to spray anything after the second week of flower, but I've seen some people say that they spray compost teas once a week, up to 2 weeks before harvest and lightly rinse the plants down after a spraying. I've used compost teas for soil drench and light spraying during veg, but never in flower so I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this. Besides the recommended bi-weekly sprays of brix mix and monthly calcium during veg, does anyone else spray compost teas or other mixes on their plants throughout the season? And if you do, do you every spray past week 2-3 of flower?

On that note, is there really ANYTHING besides BT or Spinosad (or similar products) that is ok to put on your plants during flower? I can't see myself putting compost teas or nutrient teas on flowers at any point, but I've read several respectable positions that say you can.

jdkronyk101

Wow, I love how responsive people on here are. It's great to be able to ask a question and get an answer so quickly, so thank you guys for that.

So another question that was lightly touched on but not fully discussed is foliar spraying? It's well understood that you don't want to spray anything after the second week of flower, but I've seen some people say that they spray compost teas once a week, up to 2 weeks before harvest and lightly rinse the plants down after a spraying. I've used compost teas for soil drench and light spraying during veg, but never in flower so I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this. Besides the recommended bi-weekly sprays of brix mix and monthly calcium during veg, does anyone else spray compost teas or other mixes on their plants throughout the season? And if you do, do you every spray past week 2-3 of flower?

On that note, is there really ANYTHING besides BT or Spinosad (or similar products) that is ok to put on your plants during flower? I can't see myself putting compost teas or nutrient teas on flowers at any point, but I've read several respectable positions that say you can.

i can only speak for myself, as there are many opinions and techniques. mine stay almost the same inside or out. in the veg. stage i like to foliar kelp/humic/fulvic combinations as well as the hi brix and calcium regimen.also i apply bt or spinosad twice before flower for catapillars and such.
i try not to spray any kelp or even kelp residue in transition as the kelp can add time to your flower cycle if used in transition. although transition is a great time to add beneficial insects and such, which can be quite messy and a little hasslesome in full flower.
in bloom i keep up the kelp/humic/foliar as well as the hi brix/calcium till 3-4 weeks into flower.i try to apply the hibrix four times total two-three in veg and one in pre flower.i also add two bt applications before week four as a catapillar preventitive.
lots of foliar keeps the powdery mildew down. and keeps the plants healty.
equally important is the beneficials added in the soil/root zone. there are some wonderful posts in this forum taking up multiple pages on just that subject.
hope that provides a little insight,
j.d.

woolybear

Veteran
I can't believe how giant those trees are. Its like a zoo, blockhead here, sweetooth there, all gigantic. How deep must the root balls be on these trees? Oh lordy, thats pounds of thc there.... shit!

Ancient Greek: rhízōma "mass of roots"

Ancient Greek: rhízōma "mass of roots"

Its like a zoo, blockhead here, sweet-tooth there, all gigantic. How deep must the root balls be on these trees?
Once harvest is over I usually dig around the garden beds to unearth the season's symbiotic FuN-GuYs! By expanding the width of our holes (approx. 12 feet by 12 feet some up to 15 feet) we have seen increased size and vigor in our trees. It is of our experience that by providing your ladies with a wide generator of soil for their "Root Mass" to grow freely (Free Range Roots), they will exceed expectations and reach their maximum potential. I will make sure to dig as far as the main tap roots have drilled and give you a precise answer as to how deep they have plunged after harvest. Happy Harvest & Many Blessings!

plant%20grow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts