What's new

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Bronner's = Eradication of Mites? We shall see!

Dr. Bronner's = Eradication of Mites? We shall see!

"Insecticidal soaps are a rather mean way to kill mites. Derived from organic soaps like Castile soap, insecticidal soaps kill mites and other plant pests by compromising their cellular integrity, causing cells to rupture and die. In other words, insecticidal soaps dissolve the spider mite from the inside out, slowly turning them into mush.

I came across this information concerning the dreaded Spider Mites last evening... Apparently Dr. Bronner's Soap should do the trick... (Coincidentally, my wife picked a new bottle up today)... Farmers add canola oil as a wetting agent; plus, garlic and jalapeno peppers as a compounded deterrent (I apply this on rock borders to detour slugs, goats, dogs and other pests around garden beds on the Islands). However, I'm going to add Yucca with the recommended 1TBS per quart or 2oz per gallon of soap to water and do a tester spray this morning on a small mite colony recently found on a Blue Dream tree. The Blue Dream has another month until it will be ready for harvest. If it doesn't damage the plant then I'll be bringing the atomizer to the forefront and introducing the "soap" solution this weekend!

"The recipe for Insecticidal soap is 1 teaspoon of real soap, not a detergent, in 1 quart of water. You only need about 1 percent soap solution to be effective and you do not need oil or anything else. What makes the insecticidal soap effective is the fatty acids from the animal fats the soap is made from which is why you need real soap and not a detergent. Those fatty acids dissolve the target insects exoskeleton so they dehydrate."

"After 100 years, Fels Naptha Soap is still used everyday in hundreds of households for everything from poison ivy treatment, garden fertilizer and insecticide as well as laundry detergent to stain removal." and... "...use it as a general cleaner for floors, tubs and showers, or dissolve it in water and spray as an insecticide in the garden."

Here's what they said about Dr. Bronners: "As a preventative mix 1 tablespoon Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap per quart water. Spray on vegetables on a regular bases or first sign of trouble. On specific pests mix 5 tablespoons per quart water. Test first on plant/bug to see if it is too strong or not strong enough."

Last edited:
T

Trinity Gold

Breeder Steve and Rom Joe have a vineyard in Kelowna and they're doin' wine grapes..

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Hey wheres Local Hero?

Hey wheres Local Hero?

Hows Your backyard smellin Bro? My place is reekin, all the neighbors must smell it. Your place must stink for blocks!

localhero

Everythings doin great man, thanks for askin!

I'm in the middle of harvesting, they all went into flower around mid july. sativas later. it was interesting to watch which plants started first as indoors they all go at the same time. heres some hangin:

picture.php

and heres the yard:
picture.php

and heres what happened to my OG, the heat wave forced me to harvest a week early (80% cloudy 10%amber 10%clear), turned out TERMITES got to the trunk and messed up its ability to transpire properly in the heat:
picture.php

note to nomaad if you read this; she looked just like your BD before she dropped check the stump to see if it was termites.

localhero

That's what trinity gold said too. I always thought 30% amber meant it was ready to harvest. When is everybody else harvesting?

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I go 80% milky and a bit of amber, a bit of clear. I used to go more Amber, but I like more headrush now.

T

Trinity Gold

I took down 7 plants today. I left a good bit on the vine of each to come back and get later. I hope to get 10 down tomorrow.

Also if you give them those extra few days at the end they like to add weight and density. So I personally try to find a medium between that and the state of the trichs. Looks like a nice harvest LH and there is still more to come. Happy Harvest Friends!

G

Ganja D

Hope everyones harvest is going well or getting close. We've been going 12-15 hours a day here. Cutting ripe and close to ripe tops and running them through the twister.

Y

Yankee Grower

Also if you give them those extra few days at the end they like to add weight and density.
For me I go for high type and quality and weight is secondary. When 10% amber they come down and if anything take a bit early rather than late.

I

Indian Culture

You guys continue to impress me, what are some of the strains names that are well done right now? In my new area I need something early when I go back outdoors.

T

Trinity Gold

Finished the first cut on the DOG. Left a bunch of seconds out there for a bumper crop. Broke a 140 lb chain...:D Give thanks for organics

Y

Yankee Grower

You guys continue to impress me, what are some of the strains names that are well done right now? In my new area I need something early when I go back outdoors.
It's looking like some gear from the REv (aka Rolanterroy) is on it's way to be offered here very soon. He's got a tried and true strain called Chunky Cherry Malawi (REv's Cherry Malawi which is a Malawi procured from a farmer in southern Malawi by REv's friend in South Africa x Cherry Bomb and not Reeferman's CB) x Tom Hill's Deep Chunk that finishes Sept 14-21, is sat dom, holds up great to moisture/rain, cuts through just about anything else you've smoked, has long legs, very potent and guaranteed to rock your socks...stay tuned for more details :D

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I picked a Mendo Purps and a X18, OG Kush was ready, Sour Diesel is still going. My Haze has 10 to 12 weeks to go, and its getting big. 6.5 feet by over 9 feet in diameter

Y

Yankee Grower

Finished the first cut on the DOG. Left a bunch of seconds out there for a bumper crop.
Seems Mother Nature has a great finish in store this year. Just awesome weather when it really counts. I remember years when I got the heat on about now instead of running around the high country getting some sun and taking a swim.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Seems Mother Nature has a great finish in store this year. Just awesome weather when it really counts. I remember years when I got the heat on about now instead of running around the high country getting some sun and taking a swim.
This is some great budding weather! We got a slow start, but Its been a good year over all, so far.
I hope that My Brothers with the tall plants are carefull on ladders please.
What a bountiful year!
DP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts