What's new

The Great Beer Cup Challenge 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

primobud

And Away We Go: 6 Grindhouse Seeds "Ultra Sonja's" planted 5:30 this morning. Good luck to everyone especially me yee haw!!!

smokefrogg

Veteran
5 reddy 1 caligula seeds i got as freebies from seedbay
picture.php

i am using 4 16 oz paper cups and 1 16 oz repurposed ice ream pint under some cfls for now
picture.php

i will try to empty out a few more ice cream pints to use for more before the day is over, muahaha, gee i hope i can do it ;)

Seaweed24

My cup o dirt :)

My cup o dirt :)

Here's my solo entry. I used a next generation dynamite seed and a CFL set up once she pops.

Very exciting cup o dirt :wave:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Good luck to all!!! You know this is just practice for the real competion commin up Roight???

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
just a reminder to everyone to put a current newspaper in your pic or turn the date on in your camera.

i think that was a requirement

We all start together.

We prove veg times with the weekly time and date stamped pictures which are a must to post. No picture update and you are disqualified from the contest.

V

damn, who's tracking these two rules? vonforne?

anyway, some of you might wanna post updated 'DATED' pics asap... ;)

L

LouDog420

^^

If your newspaper has identifying info about your location, please don't post it up.... Let's use our brains here folks :tiphat:

If dates are that important, you guys are just going to have to suffer through my dateless pics, as I don't know how to change those settings on my camera either!! I trust all you conniving potheads, believe it or not ;)

G

guest121295

Yeah, can I just use a Time magazine or something, I'm a bit of a tech flunky and my camera settings are a mystery sometimes...On another note my seeds are wet and the cups are filled with coco waiting for a rockwool cube with a seedling.I'm trying hydroton as well.:tiphat:

Ok EVERYONE the time has arrived! This will be a first in a series of Beer Cup Challenges. You all have been very patient waiting on ME. Thank You ALL for that! I am back to growing now. So, hats off to all of you..........:thank you::tiphat:
Starting date Sept 25th 2011 this is the day to start the seeds.

Now the rules of the game will be

1. From seed only. No autos.
2. 16 oz. beer cup. Color is of your choice but not to exceed 16 oz.
3. Indica or Sativa or a cross of your choice.
4. Roots cannot extend past the bottom of the cup.
5. 4 week veg time. 120 days to the T.
6. Any medium you feel comfortable with.
7. Everyone will post weekly pictures of their plants.
8. When the time limit is finished we will have a vote similar to the Bud of the month contest.

If there is anything I have missed let me know and it will be added.

So, lets get this going and post up the strains and descriptions of the genetics you are growing. If you vary from the rules you could be disqualified. Keep it clean and honest and have a great time.

V
We've talked about additional rules but they are not added to this post. You haven't been perfectly clear on some things and people are already going against the rules from my understanding. People are using containers other than beer cups and not starting in the cup. So, before we get too far how about you clarify. I've asked these questions a couple times and have not received direct answers so please do so now if you don't mind. I'm not trying to be a bitchy asshole here, but I would like some clarification and I am sure I am not alone.

1. Does it have to be a plastic cup or are other containers of same volume allowed?

2. Can we start in one cup of appropriate size and finish in another?

3. When you said "start in the cup" in answer to someone else's comment, I take that as meaning that we can't do a paper towel germ, but you should clarify that also with a direct answer since someone is already doing that and obviously not expecting to be disqualified on the first day.

I know this is just for fun, but gaping holes in the instructions are not fun.

As for the date feature on the camera, that is super easy to photoshop any date you want and absolutely not a good way to prevent people from using old pictures. The typical way to prevent cheaters from using old pics is by verifying the files exif data. However I believe exif is stripped by icmag for anonymity sake, and I personally strip my own regardless for the same reason. But, a block letter date in the corner is super easy to add in almost any photo editing program. As was said, a newspaper is a bad idea for security unless you are willing to go out and buy USA today or some other national paper every week... I know I'm not!

I suggest that we simply write "2011 icmag beer cup challenge" around the outside of the cups a few times so that you see the text wrapping around the cup a few times. Then, in taking the picture, you will see the text curving around the cup. This would be VERY hard to fake in photoshop because the curve of the cup will take on light differently because of the curved angle. IMHO that is the most foolproof way of making sure that people aren't cheating.

Not trying to be a dick here, but just want to know before I start my beans.

G

greenmatter

o.k i'm in .....

two heavy duty fruity and bubba kush free beans.

good luck everybody

Garuda

Veteran
1. Does it have to be a plastic cup or are other containers of same volume allowed?
Guess so, since the whole thing is called Beer Cup Challenge :D I didn't find any, so I'm running some other containers along but I don't participate in the challenge ;)

smokefrogg

Veteran
re the date

my camera does not do date stamps, it was mentioned that a newspaper from your area is a bad idea and i get that too...so, does it even matter? i don't want to be buying a magazine or traveling to get another city's newspaper every week just for this

L

LouDog420

weekly picture updates...
keg cups...
from seed...
contest ends in 120 days...

doesn't need to be any more stringent than that imo

loving all the cups out there so far!

:wave:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Getting a late start on getting the cup set up, but here we go! :D

Later this evening I will be filling the cup with FFOF and some extra pearlite. I will put an expanded peat puck in the middle of the cup and insert the bean in that to keep the taproot from burning in the OF right away. :blowbubbles:

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.